Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
All I can say is I'm glad I never connected to PSN.
Also, I hope they catch the bastards and string them up. They're giving hackers a bad name.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Well, I think this is enough to finally elevate the underground hacking comunity from aggravating nuisance to major criminal threat. Time to hunt them down and jail them.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Erm...CVVs aren't actually asked for when you add a card to PSN...

EDIT: Sorry, my bad. They were asked for, but security codes were not stored, so I still call possible-bullshit on this

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Just gonna make a quick blanket statement here, because of all the apocalyptic assertions being made.

The end result of this debacle:

Sony loses some customers, has a bad quarter maybe, but ultimately survives with minimal damage.
Maybe one or two hackers get busted, but on the whole, the community survives largely intact.

That's about it. This is not the end of Sony. This is not the end of hacking. The status quo will continue, largely unchanged. PSN security will get better. Another major network will be hacked, and people will remember the hacking of PSN as something that happened "way back when".

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
this... sickens me. i don't own a ps3, but i think this is simply horrible. i hope those hackers are caught and thrown in prison to rot.

darkcommanderq

Sep 14, 2010
I see a lot of hate directed towards the hackers. While I honestly cant blame anyone for the way they feel, in this day and age, hackers are a force of nature. Hating them is like hatting thunderstorms for knocking out your electricity.

Yes its bad/evil and people 'shouldn't do it'. Reality, its going to happen, it has happened and it will continue to happen into the future.

So what is the solution? Companies that deal with private info need to be able to secure it. You know what sony should have done right after they found GeoHotz hacked there system? HIRED HIS ASS. If they had I wonder if this situation would have happens.

But yeah basically dont waste your time hating the hackers. Even if you caught them there will be more to replace them instantly. Put pressure on the companies that are supposed to keep this stuff protected.

There is a reason this type of thing didnt happen when the Xbox or Iphone was hacked. Its because other companies know security 101. NEVER TRUST THE CLIENT.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Christ Jesus on a Ritz cracker!

I'm so canceling my card now, shit just got real! And to that bastard hacker, you can go fuck yourself off this planet.

Evertw

Apr 3, 2009
I'm an Xbox user, but I still feel sympathy for those PSN users.

Hope some arrests will occur.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
darkcommanderq said:
I see a lot of hate directed towards the hackers. While I honestly cant blame anyone for the way they feel, in this day and age, hackers are a force of nature. Hating them is like hatting thunderstorms for knocking out your electricity.

Yes its bad/evil and people 'shouldn't do it'. Reality, its going to happen, it has happened and it will continue to happen into the future.

So what is the solution? Companies that deal with private info need to be able to secure it. You know what sony should have done right after they found GeoHotz hacked there system? HIRED HIS ASS. If they had I wonder if this situation would have happens.

But yeah basically dont waste your time hating the hackers. Even if you caught them there will be more to replace them instantly. Put pressure on the companies that are supposed to keep this stuff protected.

There is a reason this type of thing didnt happen when the Xbox or Iphone was hacked. Its because other companies know security 101. NEVER TRUST THE CLIENT.
Pfft. You know, if the punishment for any federal offense was capital punishment, you'd eventually run out of criminals. It might take a while, but you'd get there. Utopia!

Kadamon

Feb 8, 2009
Worst case scenario? This could be the blow that takes down Sony. That takes down The PlayStation. That takes down years of work, sweat, and toil to create art.

This isn't stealing, it's murder.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
Raesvelg said:
Just gonna make a quick blanket statement here, because of all the apocalyptic assertions being made.

The end result of this debacle:

Sony loses some customers, has a bad quarter maybe, but ultimately survives with minimal damage.
Maybe one or two hackers get busted, but on the whole, the community survives largely intact.

That's about it. This is not the end of Sony. This is not the end of hacking. The status quo will continue, largely unchanged. PSN security will get better. Another major network will be hacked, and people will remember the hacking of PSN as something that happened "way back when".
EXACTLY. Anyone, and everyone CAN BE HACKED. I love how across the internet there are people raging, "LOL XBOX IS BETTER! WE PAY TO BE PROTECTED FROM THIS!" Then Microsoft will get hacked, and WHOOPS! Suddenly that money spent for online seems more and more stupid. I hope Sony catches these Motherfuckers. And then they let me spend a little time alone with them in a sound proof room where its just them, and me... and my BLADES OF CHAOS.

Drdiggit42

Apr 19, 2011
darkcommanderq said:

Just because it's a force of nature doesn't mean it couldn't be stopped or at least utilized. In theory if we could contain the electricity from lightning we could setup lightning rods and power the world. So the best person to work security would be a hacker.......... because a hacker wouldn't steal the info if it was his job to protect it right?

darkcommanderq

Sep 14, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
darkcommanderq said:

Pfft. You know, if the punishment for any federal offense was capital punishment, you'd eventually run out of criminals. It might take a while, but you'd get there. Utopia!
Woah are you serious? Do you realize that the FBI has a full task force for tracking cyber criminals? They are like the police but online.

Did you know the shocking truth that CYBER CRIMINALS STILL EXIST!!! Shocking I know. This PSN incident just brought there existence into the light more, but they have always been around. What with proxy servers, cloning MAC addresses, leeching wifi from unsuspecting neighbors. Its impossible to get all of them, let alone most of them.

You can hate the hackers if you must, but its a waste of time. Focus on how to realistically solve the problem instead, like putting up good security. This whole incident is in large part to sonnies arrogance that their software was 'unhackable', and anyone who DID hack it they could sue into oblivion.

What you people dont seem to understand is that hackers perform a necessary function of endlessly bug testing software (for free). Example

Hacker find a hole in a website exploits it.
Hole is found after exploit, company patches hole. Repeat said process.

Most companies have learned enough over the years though this process not to let anything THIS huge get broken. Sony has now learned they cant take security lightly or believe that there software is 'unhackable'. Its just sad that it takes something this sobering to show them that.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Irridium said:
Well, I changed up my passwords. Good god this is scary. Whoever the hacker is, I hope he gets mauled. Yes, I wish physical harm on the son of a ***** who stole all this information. I don't care who knows it.
Woe.

Woe unto the hacker for the Nerds have grew angry. Woe unto him for we will not show him mercy.