Hail Hydra

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Renegade-pizza said:
Hmmm, yes. Those filthy treasonous colonists are shocked by this? Perhaps now they will see fit to rejoin the empire.
Over my dead, patriotic body and a bay full of tea! This is what I think of your taxes!

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
RJ 17 said:
"Widowmaker is balanced."

I've seen nothing overtly "OP" about her, nor have I really heard any whining about her...is there really a sizeable chunk of people that think she needs balancing or are you just getting your ass kicked by Widowmakers a lot, Grey? :3
I can see why some people complain I understand where they are coming from. She has one of the most powerful ults in the game (wallhack has hack in the name for a reason) and it charges incredibly fast. She also makes an entire character useless, Zenyatta, who has no place in a game where there is even an average skilled Widowmaker.
Whenever there is a widowmaker, everyone in the oposing team are forced to play around her. Forcing passiveness and such. Which is more of a bore than anything.

There are a few things that could be tweaked about her in my opinion.
- Lower bodyshot damage: Lifting her skill ceiling by making headshots even more important and making Zenyatta possible to play with her in the game. (no more 150dmg bodyshots)
- Increase the time it takes to gain her ult.
- Increase the time it takes to charge her shots: An alternative to lowering bodyshot dammage, making it harder to basically quick scope a full dammage shot.

These are based on my experiences and discussions I have had with friends about it. I don't demand these changes, but Widowmaker definately is more of a problem than Bastion is.

ALSO, concider that Pharas rockets do 120 on direct hit and are slow moving projectiles.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Something Amyss said:
MCerberus said:
But you want to talk about alt-right in modern comics. Frank Miller's "Holy Terror" is freaking bizarre and was originally a Batman series.
I'm not sure what's alt about it. Frank Miller is batshit, but Holy Terror seems to represent a fairly mainstream view of Muslims.
Considering even the "build the wall" set pushed back against the muslim ban, "Kill them because they're Muslim and/or brown" is still alt. Unless you think /pol/ took over conservatism.

Which it may have.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Of course Widowmaker is balanced. She'd have a hard time running in those heels if she wasn't.

Also, I was surprised that people are complaining about Greg Land... Mostly because I'm surprised Greg Land is still working. The guy is like the 21st Century's answer to Rob Liefeld.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Seraj33 said:
Can't say that I've ever really had an issue with Widowmaker. Generally speaking the sniper in my squad is good enough to counter-sniper her. That or I'll just go Reaper and hunt down their Widowmaker since Widowmakers are notorious for getting (almost literal) tunnel-vision which makes them very susceptible to being flanked.

......now I wanna play a round where both teams are going all Widowmaker. :3

I'd probably get my ass kicked since I've always sucked at sniping in competitive FPSs. xD

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Seraj33 said:
Can't say that I've ever really had an issue with Widowmaker. Generally speaking the sniper in my squad is good enough to counter-sniper her. That or I'll just go Reaper and hunt down their Widowmaker since Widowmakers are notorious for getting (almost literal) tunnel-vision which makes them very susceptible to being flanked.

I'd probably get my ass kicked since I've always sucked at sniping in competitive FPSs. xD
I just wanna play Zenyatta without getting instagibbed as soon as I show myself maaaaan. :c

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Meiam said:
Is it really considered a big deal? I mean it's gonna be revealed he wasn't really evil soon enough he was just doing for *insert dumb reason*.
It's less the plot itself and more the Time article.

http://time.com/4347224/captain-america-hydra-agent-marvel-tom-brevoort/

They are really trying to sell, the "Captain America is and always has been a Nazi" idea, regardless of it making no sense, and being a complete perversion of the character. Not just to the comic sites but to the mainstream to.

They see slanderous character assassination as "marketing". Why?

A. No one believes you.

B. Why would you want them to?

Lets compound this with the lead up to the release of "Steve Rogers:Captain America" was advertised as "in honor of his 75th anniversary."

Yes, it's going to be retconned out of existence. The fact the plot is going to be a total waste of time with no meaningful impact going forward is not a defense, it's an indictment.

The most damning thing about this? People on the fence about picking up the comics after seeing the movies, do you think they went "Wow, I have to go out and buy this!" or "...and this is why I don't waste my time with the comics."?

Marvel is that petulant child who never seems to learn there is such a thing as negative attention.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Seraj33 said:
RJ 17 said:
Seraj33 said:

I just wanna play Zenyatta without getting instagibbed as soon as I show myself maaaaan. :c
Oh I feel your pain as someone who tends to play Mercy more often than not...though as I said: the bane to my existence tends to be Hanzo much more than Widowmaker. :p

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Seraj33 said:
Widowmaker
The whole point of Defense heroes is that they hold the advantage, you are meant to change your offense to best deal with them, not the other way round.

Lethal bodyshots from snipers are a vital part of dealing with Tracers and Zenyatas, as both characters receive exceptional rewards for exposing themselves to such threats.
If your point is actually about Zenyata being too fragile, that's an issue to resolve elsewhere.

Points about her ultimate can easily be deflected with the fact that information is only as valuable as it is difficult to obtain:
If the enemy team has a Widowmaker, get Reinhardt out and have him push along the typical route, where everyone already expects you anyway.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
UberPubert said:
As an american, I might be tempted to take umbrage at panel two, but panel three pleases me enough to overlook it. Fair play.
OI! What you say 'bout a'ur teeth? I'll knock yours a'ut mate!

OT: Comics gonna comic, this shit's been happening since day two, they'll retcon/back-track/satanic deal their way out of it eventually.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, that is a reductionist view of how people feel. Also, no one should be surprised that people who are not American are less attached to a character called Captain America. This is the same as all the other times serious changes have been made to major characters. Some jackass conflates it with racism/sexism, and now it's an issue with nationalism. It's a completely idiotic view.

Here is what I think: Marvels writing has gone down the shitter in the last 7 years. So this is how they stir things up. They ignore 70 years of history and story to make a "big" change now. That is still shit writing. I'm not saying good things have not happened either. But they are either giving their writers less creative breadth to work in, or they are just hiring writers who are, for the most part, not all that creative. The public reaction in favor to this just shows how stagnant the universe has become. Literally any change, no matter how ludicrous, is applauded by people. That is why the "Trumpster" (as a friend at work calls him) is so attractive to people even though he speaks like an idiot 99% of the time, people want change. In both cases people are desperate to see something happen.

Also, lets face facts. This is going to be no different than all the times Captain America has been replaced by an evil doppleganger or framed for things he simply didn't do or mind controlled. It will ultimately have no impact and good Captain America will be back. You know why? Because when they put one of their shitty writers on this, it's not going to be good and the change to the character will probably ultimately lose some of the fans. Don't forget the millions of new fans that have popped up since the movies have done so well. A lot of them probably aren't going to like the change.

From the original article:
Every single month whether it?s a run of the mill month for Captain America or an extraordinary month, our job is to put him in situations that place that character under some degree of pressure and see how he reacts to that. And hopefully our readers are surprised, shocked, elated, see something of themselves, learn something about themselves. To say it?s a gimmick implies that it?s done heedlessly just to shock. The proof is always going to be in the execution. So you?ll have to read the rest of the story to see.
It can't be a surprise if everyone knows it's happening. I have to say, I miss the good old days when you might occasionally get a glimpse of what is coming from Wizard magazine or Previews. Now these idiots do Time interviews telling everyone what is coming well in advance. In the article he states that it will fit into the history... I can't wait to see it fall apart to be honest. It won't fit, it literally can't because it would mean denying every relationship he ever had with any other character.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I still think its something that will either A. Turn out to be a false memory implanted by Red Skull Onslaught or B. Be retconned anyway by future writers because Marvel canon is as fluid as Dr. Fate's gender.

Apr 17, 2009
I imagine that is where the bad teeth stereotype comes from
Its actually a difference in public perception. Americans go in for the very Hollywood look of teeth that are brilliant white and perfectly straight. In Britain we see such efforts to straighten and whiten as just vanity and excess, so just focus on keeping the things working right. As such British teeth are some of the healthiest in the world, in general, but because we don't give a shit if they're crooked you get the stereotype about them being gross. This has been your fun culture lesson for the day!

Anyway, I still can't believe people are actually making a fuss over this. Even if its not revealed he's acting as a double agent, or its mind control or psychotics, or turns out to be not the real Steve like the linked story, how long will this change actually last? Hey, is Doc Ock still gallivanting around as the Superior Spider-Man? No? Didn't think so.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Something Amyss said:
MCerberus said:
But you want to talk about alt-right in modern comics. Frank Miller's "Holy Terror" is freaking bizarre and was originally a Batman series.
I'm not sure what's alt about it. Frank Miller is batshit, but Holy Terror seems to represent a fairly mainstream view of Muslims.
....Wait, wait wait wait. Al-Qaeda having access to fighter jets, stinger missiles, being part of an ancient order and building a doomsday weapon underneath New York city and using teenage girls as suicide bombers is a mainstream view of Muslims?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Meiam said:
Is it really considered a big deal? I mean it's gonna be revealed he wasn't really evil soon enough he was just doing for *insert dumb reason*.
It is true that this will probably end up being the case, either because it was planned, or because it will be retconned to be so. But honestly, that's why I'm annoyed by it. You know Marvel doesn't have the balls to really go through with stuff like this, so when they start something, it's just irritating because you know your time is being wasted.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Nazrel said:
The most damning thing about this? People on the fence about picking up the comics after seeing the movies, do you think they went "Wow, I have to go out and buy this!" or "...and this is why I don't waste my time with the comics."?
*nervously raises hand*
I... actually am kinda interested in seeing how it plays out and might wanna pick up the following issues.
I mean, he's gonna end up having a decent reason for saying the line in the first place, but as a person that has never read comics (but has a parent that does, so I at least know who everyone is) and always found the idea of Cap kinda boring because of the era I grew up in, this sudden tease of a radical change of character is bizarre and interesting.

Why would he say that? What lead up to it? What is his justification for it? What does the flashback mean? All things I've asked myself and some other comic fans, and is probably the first time I've had a genuine interest in any comic book, thanks in part to the outrage that's been causing it.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nazrel said:
Meiam said:
It's less the plot itself and more the Time article.

http://time.com/4347224/captain-america-hydra-agent-marvel-tom-brevoort/

They are really trying to sell, the "Captain America is and always has been a Nazi" idea, regardless of it making no sense, and being a complete perversion of the character. Not just to the comic sites but to the mainstream to.

They see slanderous character assassination as "marketing". Why?

A. No one believes you.

B. Why would you want them to?

Lets compound this with the lead up to the release of "Steve Rogers:Captain America" was advertised as "in honor of his 75th anniversary."

Yes, it's going to be retconned out of existence. The fact the plot is going to be a total waste of time with no meaningful impact going forward is not a defense, it's an indictment.

Marvel is that petulant child who never seems to learn there is such a thing as negative attention.
I think people seem to have forgotten what Einstein once said: not everything you read is true.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Nazrel said:

Yeah, I was mildly interested in comics at one point, I read a couple of anthologies of old X-Men comics my Dad had lying around, but with all the bullshit going on that either means nothing or is just stupid (Civil War, this, and one more fucking day for Marvel and most of what happened with the New 52 for DC, and even before then they had drek like Cry For Justice) I'm just glad that I have nothing to do with it. Doesn't help that with the nightmarish levels of continuity it's damn hard to get into them now. Now I jut watch AT4W