Half-Life 3 Is Not Coming Today, Says Valve

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
People are silly.

Maybe I'll love the game that much and become that delusional once I get the will to beat the bloody thing.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
I feel like Half Life 3 has become one of those running jokes that is kinda funny at first, then gets kinda old, then gets REALLY old, then makes everyone wanna bash the joke's brains in with a shovel, then suddenly becomes hilarious.

This has been going on for so long that I've used up all my frustration and nerd rage and can now only giggle like madman.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
So can anyone explain to me why Valve felt I needed a 3.2 GB update to a 9 year old game that's barely over 4 GB to begin with? What did they do, replace EVERY texture in the game? /confused

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
Silentpony said:
Reading your posts, you have fallen back on Duke Nukem Forever a lot. Or other games you've fallen back on to say "Oh, it's been a long development! It must suck!

Just because it's been long, doesn't mean it's development hell.

Daikatana: Development hell. Engine changes, artwork changes, team changes. No structure, no main goal. It was a mess.
Duke Nukem Forever: Development hell. Engine changes, artwork changes, team changes, studio changes, publisher changes, EVERYTHING about the game was made, torn out, redone, thrown away, put back in. Some of it was kept from the very start, some was very new. It was a huge example of development hell.

If a game has been in development hell, there is a good chance it *might* come out like crap. There is a small chance it might come out good still.

However there is still the chance that one of three things has happened with HL3:
1) The game wasn't touched at all for years after HL2 because there was no reason to make HL3 (since HL2 came out with a major new engine. They were likely saving HL3 for the next major new engine/innovation)
2) They've been working on the new engine/new game for the past few years, however that whole time has been with a single goal and single direction. Sure tweeks would happen "do we want to go in this direction or that direction?" but over all the goal is still "Make a FPS where Gordon Freeman does stuff and we show off our latest engine and what it can do." They've been keeping everything as secret as possible to make sure that when they do reveal it, nobody else has done anything like what they've been able to do.
3) They set out to show off everything the new engine can do, they do manage to show things off and yes it is pretty kool I guess... but it isn't as mind blowing as everyone expects it to be. What they thought was going to be so totally innovative in the past 8 years, someone else did something similar and people claim it's just derivative work or something or other. Either way, option 3: The game is alright, but over all it's a let down.

You're thinking it'll be 3 (well, you're making it sound like it'll be 4: "Unmitigated failure" but I doubt that. They aren't going to release it unless it is very highly polished)
But I think it'll be number 2.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Getting to be like the wait for TF2, except this time they're not showing the stuff they're abandoning along the way.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Brent Andrews said:
I love Valve but at this point Valve is like a really smoking hot chick that would not put out any pussy..
That is the most horrible analogy I have ever heard.

OT: Given that I enjoyed the first two Half Life games, I think I'm invested enough to say I still think it's funny that Valve trolls the shit out of it's fanbase. Intolerably cruel, yes, but very amusing.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
Is it weird that in that fairly humorous exaggeration, I was more worried about why Hafnium was getting into Newell's system?
It's supposedly used in nuclear reactors to absorb neutrons, weight loss maybe? Either that or he is trying to perfect the ability to breathe fire Iron Man 3 style.

Who can know what goes on behind valves doors? I am still convinced Portal is a documentary.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Mr Companion said:
How can you accidentally write "Prepare for unforeseen consequences" in Korean in a tweet? Less mucking up and more mucking around. I do enjoy watching Valve troll though, whether intentionally or accidentally they always hit the mark.
I'm pretty sure he meant the bug was an accident. The tweet was just a joke about the bug.

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
IshimaruHayato said:
Has anyone threaten value at gun-point yet for half life 3?
I think this is absolute proof that video games don't cause violence.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
KungFuJazzHands said:
On a related note, check this out: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/26/unforseen-consequences-when-a-joke-about-half-life-3-gets-out-of-hand/. That's some depressing shit right there.
That's bloody hilarious. I love PC Gamer.

Vale

May 1, 2013
Eh, I guess it's fine if they never make the game at all. It would likely be pretty good, but the massive internet backlash of people coming off an unbelievable high of unrealistic expectations would be entirely unpleasant to see.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
So they didn't actually say that. Way to be misleading with the headline.

I was actually hopeful that they had said just that; that would be more information and at least an admission of Half-Life 3. They seem scared to even discuss whether the next game will be Episode 3 or Half-Life 3.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
pdgeorge said:
Silentpony said:
snip.
I'm sorry but that just feels like wishful thinking. At this point, its tragic, not dependable or hopeful. I reference Duke Nukem alot and I probably will before I'm done, but its an incredibly apt analogy. Both are games that were insanely popular in their heyday, but were in development(hell or otherwise) for so long is became comical. Half Life 3 is not a game, its a joke. Except its not funny. We laugh at "Gabe can't count to three" memes because its easier than crying.
A game that's taken this long to come out HAS to be in developmental hell. It can't not. No studio executives would be okay with willfully delaying the launch of their IP this long. It does reek of the 'Duke Nukem no really the next engine will make is perfect' development.
But it you want, lets switch analogies. How about Star Wars? Think there is a connection between Gabe silently not releasing his game and George Lucas looking back at the original three and saying "there was a lot of things I wanted to do, trust me, but the technology just wasn't there. But now that it is, AT-STs everywhere!" My argument boils down to what could Gabe be waiting for? I've played current(this year) gen games. The graphics and interface are as good as we can get them. What possible events could take place in HL3 that force it to be withheld for so long? And let me say this.
If they are waiting for a new engine, that implies they've done 0 work. Nothing is complete, because there is no medium to work with. They are painters waiting for their paint and canvas to be delivered.
OR they have started but then back-tracked because the engine wasn't good enough. Fine. But that does link it back to Duke Nukem. In both cases the developers are willfully ignoring deadlines, reality and their fans because they think it can be just that much better if we have a new engine. Which requires moving from one engine to another, and so on and so for. Lets say their on their 3rd engine for this game? Well...why not a 4th? You've already changed and the fanbase is willing to wait, why limit yourself? And if we go 4, why not a 5th engine? Juuuussstt to make sure?

That sounds exactly like what happened with Duke Nukem, Aliens: Colonial Marines, and Star Wars to me.

IshimaruHayato

Jun 21, 2013
TRR said:
IshimaruHayato said:
Has anyone threaten value at gun-point yet for half life 3?
I think this is absolute proof that video games don't cause violence.

Video games dont but developers who screw your head for years on end do. God good I wonder if this is how the duke nukem forever people felt back in the day

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Silentpony said:
pdgeorge said:
Silentpony said:
snip.
*You guessed it, another snip*
I could not agree with this more. Part of me just wants Valve to be like "We're going to tell you how the story ends now, so we can work on other things."

Because let's face it. Considering the track record of some massively delayed games, this is going to be an absoloute trainwreck. And -

*Gets into Flame Bunker*

- When we really get down to it, what are we really waiting for, anyway? Half Life may have been something brilliant back in the day, but these days, it's as hopelessly, utterly generic as it could get, with the most infuriating blank-slate main character I've seen since Twilight. When some people can say with complete stone-faced honesty that the best thing to come from HL is Full Life Consequences, something's gone wrong.

Honestly, the only reason - the - ONLY - reason I want to see HL3 released now is so that people will frigging shut up about it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Jesse Billingsley said:
What's so great about half life again? I have it, only because I wanted to play NeoTokyo
The game itself is only average. Average gameplay, average plot and average graphics(for its time.) Above average character development, at least for everyone EXCEPT Gordon Freeman. He's as bland as bland can be without being poisonous. However, the secret to Half Life's success was the time in which it came out. Games like Perfect Dark, Quake and FF7 were riding high and people who weren't having fun wanted something more/different. Half Life was that new thing and became popular because its peer-group was horrible.

Personally I didn't play Half Life when it came out. I was content with Conkers Bad Fur Day, Star Wars Battlegrounds and Diablo II.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
This is the problem with all the ARG that Valve does.
Now everything they do is seen as some kind of foreshadowing.

Hell, this fact could be used to justify HL3, Why would they make ARG so important in Portal and other games and not use it for Half Life 3?

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Silentpony said:
Jesse Billingsley said:
What's so great about half life again? I have it, only because I wanted to play NeoTokyo
The game itself is only average. Average gameplay, average plot and average graphics(for its time.) Above average character development, at least for everyone EXCEPT Gordon Freeman. He's as bland as bland can be without being poisonous. However, the secret to Half Life's success was the time in which it came out. Games like Perfect Dark, Quake and FF7 were riding high and people who weren't having fun wanted something more/different. Half Life was that new thing and became popular because its peer-group was horrible.

Personally I didn't play Half Life when it came out. I was content with Conkers Bad Fur Day, Star Wars Battlegrounds and Diablo II.
Nice picture by the way.

Thanks for the explanation. It seems like a lot of people, PC gamers mostly, herald it as some golden gift from God himself, but to me it looks, well, average.