Half-Life 3 Will Probably Never Happen, Says Valve Insider

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I don't think they should make it or continue the story if they have no passion behind the series anymore. What would be the point? It would just be a rushed or forced chore for them and then it would disappoint everyone, going the way of Duke Nukem Forever.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Nazulu said:
I don't think they should make it or continue the story if they have no passion behind the series anymore. What would be the point? It would just be a rushed or forced chore for them and then it would disappoint everyone, going the way of Duke Nukem Forever.
Better to have some rushed half assed disappointing release than no release at all. At least the former has a CHANCE of being worthwhile and if it's not, at least the story is finished while the worst thing that can happen is everybody just stops giving a damn about the series, the latter just means nothing more than that there's this gaping hole Half Life 3 shaped hole in the story that will never be filled. I'm honestly surprised that the fans haven't just MADE Half-Life 3 themselves by now, (Prospekt is more of an interquel) it's certainly been more than long enough for it to be obvious Valve never will make it themselves, enough time to have made a worthwhile sequel, and there's obviously plenty of fans that still care.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
Nazulu said:
Better to have some rushed half assed disappointing release than no release at all. At least the former has a CHANCE of being worthwhile and if it's not, at least the story is finished while the worst thing that can happen is everybody just stops giving a damn about the series, the latter just means nothing more than that there's this gaping hole Half Life 3 shaped hole in the story that will never be filled. I'm honestly surprised that the fans haven't just MADE Half-Life 3 themselves by now, (Prospekt is more of an interquel) it's certainly been more than long enough for it to be obvious Valve never will make it themselves, enough time to have made a worthwhile sequel, and there's obviously plenty of fans that still care.
Definitely not. It doesn't have a chance (I believe), and a shit ending to a story is worse than none (I also believe).

Also, a fan ending is never a true ending, so most probably won't take the bait, unless it's amazing and Valve just lend it to them. You can guess how often that happens though.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Guys, just make a damn 65 minute movie like DC's animated division have been doing to finish the story off and sell it for like $1 on the Steam Store. Story is concluded, game never has to be made.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
No real reason not to do it. It's an unfinished story that sold well. Also, they kind of owe us after stating that there would be three episodes. However, after waiting this long, we deserve a full game. Half-Life 3 should be made.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Now I'm just bitter toward them, because the level of incompetence, cowardice, laziness, or WHATEVER it is that has caused them to fail this badly with their games baffles me.
I fail to see how coming up with a vastly more profitable business model constitutes any of those things.

I'd like a HL3 too, but being bitter about it just strikes me as silly.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Zhukov said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Now I'm just bitter toward them, because the level of incompetence, cowardice, laziness, or WHATEVER it is that has caused them to fail this badly with their games baffles me.
I fail to see how coming up with a vastly more profitable business model constitutes any of those things.

I'd like a HL3 too, but being bitter about it just strikes me as silly.
Profits aren't everything; they owe their fans a finished story. From a financial point of view, they definitely are not failing. However, from the point of view of their loyal customers who enjoy the Half-Life story, they have failed.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I feel a need to post this again.

I feel it accurately sums up what everybody knows at this point.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mad World said:
Profits aren't everything; they owe their fans a finished story.
No, they don't. They do not owe people a game.

Saying that they do is the very definition of entitlement. It's also not even what the word "owe" means.

If they had taken orders for the next game or charged people for three episodes when selling HL2Ep2&3 then yes, they would owe people. If they had announced the next game then you could kiiiiinda say they owe it to people to release it, but that's already a stretch.

But they did neither of those things.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Zhukov said:
Mad World said:
Profits aren't everything; they owe their fans a finished story.
No, they don't. They do not owe people a game.

Saying that they do is the very definition of entitlement. It's also not even what the word "owe" means.

If they had taken orders for the next game or charged people for three episodes when selling HL2Ep2&3 then yes, they would owe people. If they had announced the next game then you could kiiiiinda say they owe it to people to release it, but that's already a stretch.

But they did neither of those things.
They do owe us it. Them not making the game may not be illegal, but from a fair point of view, they do. They stated that we'd get the next "Episode," but we never did. At this point, it needs to be a complete game (Half-Life 3).

I ended up not initially typing out how I don't care if I sound entitled, but I don't care if I sound entitled.

I'll restate: Valve owes us (the fans) Half-Life 3. If you disagree, I couldn't care less.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mad World said:
I'll restate: Valve owes us (the fans) Half-Life 3. If you disagree, I couldn't care less.
Ohhhkay.

If that's your approach to a discussion I do not understand why you would even bother quoting me to begin with.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Saelune said:
Ezekiel said:
Saelune said:
Ezekiel said:
The Last Guardian was first shown in 2009 and finally came out a few months ago. Its production began in 2007, the year HL2 Episode Two came out. Half-Life 3's timeframe isn't that unusual. James Cameron wrote Avatar in 1994 and released the movie in 2009, because other things got in the way and the technology wasn't where he needed it to be. Half-Life 2 and its new engine pushed graphics beyond what other games were doing at the time, so it makes sense that HL3 would be another big experiment for them, maybe tying into their VR, controller and other projects. They probably started over at some point, if they're still working on it. They also have a pretty slack work atmosphere. What is the point of announcing a game years and years before it's ready? That's not good for expectations either. People grew bored of The Last Guardian before it was even out. Half-Life is special to Valve, and they probably wanna see the ending like everybody else.

This article isn't news. It's a rumor without a credible source.

Also, I think people are acting too entitled. Valve isn't obligated to make the game. Did they sell a season pass? No.
They kind of are obligated to make it considering they said they would, and sold us essentially an unfinished game. I mean, I am in the camp that they wont ever make it, and if they ever do, well, I bet Duke Nukem Forever will have been more worth it.

But they did promise the game in more ways than 1.
They're good, finished games, with prices appropriate for their lengths. Valve doesn't owe you anything.

I'm sad about The Sword of Doom never getting a sequel and Shigurui, Berserk and Deadwood not being renewed, but I'm not gonna pretend I wasn't entertained and didn't feel rewarded for my time.
Remember the part where everything was solved? Me neither.

Imagine if Lord of the Rings ended with The Two Towers.
Not the greatest example as Lord of The Rings was written as a single book, it was Tolkien's publisher or editor that decided it should be broken up and sold/marketed as 3 books, and that was a money move, not a story one.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Petromir said:
Saelune said:
Ezekiel said:
Saelune said:
Ezekiel said:
The Last Guardian was first shown in 2009 and finally came out a few months ago. Its production began in 2007, the year HL2 Episode Two came out. Half-Life 3's timeframe isn't that unusual. James Cameron wrote Avatar in 1994 and released the movie in 2009, because other things got in the way and the technology wasn't where he needed it to be. Half-Life 2 and its new engine pushed graphics beyond what other games were doing at the time, so it makes sense that HL3 would be another big experiment for them, maybe tying into their VR, controller and other projects. They probably started over at some point, if they're still working on it. They also have a pretty slack work atmosphere. What is the point of announcing a game years and years before it's ready? That's not good for expectations either. People grew bored of The Last Guardian before it was even out. Half-Life is special to Valve, and they probably wanna see the ending like everybody else.

This article isn't news. It's a rumor without a credible source.

Also, I think people are acting too entitled. Valve isn't obligated to make the game. Did they sell a season pass? No.
They kind of are obligated to make it considering they said they would, and sold us essentially an unfinished game. I mean, I am in the camp that they wont ever make it, and if they ever do, well, I bet Duke Nukem Forever will have been more worth it.

But they did promise the game in more ways than 1.
They're good, finished games, with prices appropriate for their lengths. Valve doesn't owe you anything.

I'm sad about The Sword of Doom never getting a sequel and Shigurui, Berserk and Deadwood not being renewed, but I'm not gonna pretend I wasn't entertained and didn't feel rewarded for my time.
Remember the part where everything was solved? Me neither.

Imagine if Lord of the Rings ended with The Two Towers.
Not the greatest example as Lord of The Rings was written as a single book, it was Tolkien's publisher or editor that decided it should be broken up and sold/marketed as 3 books, and that was a money move, not a story one.
My point is, the story is unfinished.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, remember how DNF was relevant to gamers until it actually existed?

They don't want to make HL3, then best that they don't. "They didn't care" is a common complaint, after all.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Ask yourselves this question: as a Valve game designer, which conversation would you prefer to moderate/contribute to?

Why did they wait 15 years to tell use they're pulling the plug?

Why did they make us wait 15 years to play this heinous crime against the medium?

LunarRepublic

Oct 23, 2016
Gabe Newell's having a Reddit AMA today at 3pm PST/ 11pm GMT. If there are any answers, this will be our best bet.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
LunarRepublic said:
Gabe Newell's having a Reddit AMA today at 3pm PST/ 11pm GMT. If there are any answers, this will be our best bet.
What?

Bullshit

Really?

Edit: It's real!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
LunarRepublic said:
You really think he's going to talk about HL3 at all?

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Hawki said:
LunarRepublic said:
You really think he's going to talk about HL3 at all?
With the timing of the recent leak, this could actually be a response to it.

And sometime before Trump's inauguration ruins everything, so this is basically the last chance. We at least deserve some truth before the bombs fall.

normalguycap

Oct 11, 2009
Honestly, Valve has lost credibility with me. It doesn't make anything anymore. I don't trust them with anything other than Steam. I believe they wrote themselves into a corner with HL3 and now the intrigue is too great. They will die a disappointment and only have themselves to blame.