Halo 3 Outsells PS3's Heavy Hitters Combined

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
meh. i have a friend who plays this game 4 hours a day. if you game alongside him. here's the following comments

friend:GAAAH HOW DID HE SHOOT ME!?
WHATTT? SPAWNCAMPER $&^Hfgjhfg
OMG FUCKING LAGGG AAARGH!!!
HGjukhgf!@!@$#KJ
me: dude.. it's just a game...
friend: A GAME IS ONLY FUN WHEN YOU WIN.
BOOM HEADSHOT AHHAHAHAHAH
TAKE THAT!

it ruins pretty much the entire game
and i have a fully developed hatred against XBOX, because my XBOX broke.
RROD CURSE YOU!!!

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
It's hilarious when corporations actually use the console wars for sales advantage. All the way back to Sonic and Mario... ah, those were the days.

As to the on-topic I would also like to point out that more people have seen Mama Mia than have seen: 12 Angry Men, Falling Down, Metropolis, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Cabinet of Dr. Kalagari and the Seventh Seal combined.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Ha ha, Microsoft owes Bungie pretty much everything when it comes to the overall success of the 360, nay, the Xbox franchise as a whole.

Knew it sold awesome but didn't think it outsold the PS3 stuff THAT badly. Although I bet GoW3 still has some selling life left in it.

Well props to Bungie, my fav developer. Seven7th Column.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
o.0 and this matters why?
halo 3 has been out how long now, as apposed to the games on the list, not that i have any love for ether (and i own a PS3) but Uncharted2 and GoW3 basically just came out comparatively while i note the absence of MGS4 and little big planet, not to mention Ratchet and Clank as well as other exclusives like inFAMOUS.

besides, duh Halo sells high -.- its the only fucking game they really have aside DoA, and Gears of War, which looks more like Halo minus the head gear
would put Ninja Geiden but ... :D both those are on the PS3 now, so not 360 only titles anymore

the PS3 may not have the mega smash like Halo ( which they should fix ) but what they do have is a more even spread, the 360's appeal seems a little one dimensional to me, focusing largely on Halo and Gears, while the PS3 is a bit more spread out with game targeting a wider demographic, kinda like with the PS1 and PS2, which historically where very good to me both software and hardware wise.

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
I think a fairer comparison would be what percentage of the console owners have those titles. As it has been said, the 360 has sold better than the PS3 so its expected for games to naturally sell more since there is a much larger audience capable of playing those games. Although I'm not sure why it matters when the Wii is apparently doing even better than both, so basically any feud between Microsoft and Sony is like two people trying to boast about being 2nd while ignoring the success of the guy in 1st.

I'd be curious about the sales figures of the top 6 games for the 360 though, exclusives mind you (since again any game that is cross platform will arguably sell more on the 360 since there are more of them around).

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Ninja Tank said:
the reason it sells so much cause people have to buy multiple copies I'm on my 3rd i think. They break real easy in the 360 cause even if you move it a inch it just scratches the disk beyond anything playable
the only way i've ever managed to scratch a disk was when i accidentally knocked it over when I had it set up like a PC tower.. other than that all my games are in great shape

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Racthoh said:
I think a fairer comparison would be what percentage of the console owners have those titles. As it has been said, the 360 has sold better than the PS3 so its expected for games to naturally sell more since there is a much larger audience capable of playing those games. Although I'm not sure why it matters when the Wii is apparently doing even better than both, so basically any feud between Microsoft and Sony is like two people trying to boast about being 2nd while ignoring the success of the guy in 1st.

I'd be curious about the sales figures of the top 6 games for the 360 though, exclusives mind you (since again any game that is cross platform will arguably sell more on the 360 since there are more of them around).

the fact that the wii is in first in sales proves yet again (as if MW2 and uncharted 2 didn't prove it enough already) that selling well is not equal to being good. it's like coming in second in kills to someone on your team who only uses the warthog gunner turret. they're not good but they still got first

Jun 26, 2009
i have on word... BOLLUKS!
as if halo outsold that many games everyone who has an Xbox would of had to of bought it... oh wait. FUCK! still quality over qauntity. (i have an xbox and a PS3 why do i feel like I betrayed somone 'cus I bought halo 3)
EDIT: this won't last long bungie's moving from microsoft so microsoft enjoy it while it last next generation of consols cometh you would have lost you favorite milk and your sales will go down.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
That's surprising. Guess I helped there, eh Microsoft. Loved Halo 3 to bits.

[small]*Receives bribe from Bill Gates*[/small]

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
ark123 said:
McDonalds outsells every 5 star restaurant in the planet combined by several orders of magnitude.
Winner. This is rather pathetic that game developers need to value themselves this way.
No. Criticise the game publisher, Microsoft, for caring about sales and market share - Bungie were the developer and haven't said a thing...

You have picked the wrong target - not that there is much wrong in a company being Capitalist if it helps fund new games and consoles...

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
Nihilism_Is_Bliss said:
zombays said:
Nihilism_Is_Bliss said:
Not too surprising, Halo is the one must-own xbox game, 99% of xbox owners would own a Halo game, and there ARE roughly twice as many xbox's as ps3 out there.
But the game choices there aren't really fair, GOW3 is still new, resistance sucked cock and Halo3 is older than all of those games.
Once again, he said it's COMBINED
yeah no shit. And there are twice as many xbox's as Ps3's and Ps3's are pitched to a wider market, so kids who bought Ps3's for little big planet will obviously not have any of those games, and the hardcore JRPG player will obviously have none of those games.
The Xbox however caters solely for the FPS player, meaning that though there are twice as many Xbox players around than Ps3 players, the number of people playing FPS on Xbox compared to the number of FPS players on Ps3 would be way more than double.
Halo3 also...happens to be the most popular FPS game around! meaning it is owned by every single Xbox owner, where even if Halo was multiplatform Halo would be lucky to get into 70% of Ps3 households.

I was merely saying that even with combined sales, you have to effectively more than halve the combined sales of the Ps3's top Games to show anything that actually means anything at all. i was saying the games microsoft picked are bull as well because resistance was terrible and Halo is like 5 years older than Gow3 and resistance 2.

I have nothing against the Xbox, i just think Microsoft's Xbox geeks are waaaaaaay too far up their own asses to be given any credit whatsoever.
The amount of crap they give SONY for outselling the Ps3 is bullshit, as we all know sales alone mean bugger all when talking about quality.
As Halo is good, but probably the most overrated game of all time, and the Wii's 'Wii sports resort' would have probably almost doubled Halo's sales.
Catch my drift?
I like the cut of your job, good sir. I wanted to avoid posting on this when I saw it the other day, and I'm sure people have said what I'm about to say (sorry, too lazy to read 275 posts before me! I read maybe...20) This is just another grasping at straws kinda thing that this Microsoft guy is doing. Considering that Halo 3 has been out for longer than pretty much ANY of the games listed in that post, it makes a little sense. Also the fact that, yeah, XBoxes are a sh*t ton more commonplace than PS3 right now because of PS3 prices being so much higher still. Then also take in account that titles listed (especially Uncharted 2 and GoW3) haven't even been out longer than maybe...8 months at most? That's not exactly fair comparison when you have a longer time out on the shelves! Then you consider how many people have bought multiple copies of the game due to Xboxes dying, eating disks, what have you (not that the PS3 is without its problems! I'm totally trying to avoid making the flame any larger here!) There just won't be an end to the war between systems till they team up and make one great system, which I know won't ever happen. But really guy (not the guy I quoted, the guy that compared the games...) quit grasping at straws and have some common sense!

The last few lines from this video say it all

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Entire Halo series versus FF7 sales alone. FF7 wins this round for Sony.
So would Gran Turismo and God Of War.

But there is no anything that can compare to the sales of the Mario franchise (especially when you factor in the spin-offs), except maybe Pong and its knock-offs.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Nihilism_Is_Bliss said:
there ARE roughly twice as many xbox's as ps3 out there.
Not quite there.
PS3 sales are quickly catching up the the 360 (only about 4 mil worldwide behind, despite the year headstart), and most of the 360 sales are repeat buyers who are on their 3rd or 4th one at least. So tis likely less than 1 in use per 2 sales. So total is roughly 20 mil of the 40 mil sold are not busted. Compared to likely 30 of the 36 mil PS3's still in working order.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
I don't understand why the 360 and Halo games are so popular, why people pay so much to go fix their consoles since Microsoft can't make a good working next gen console to save their asses. (Not including the normal Xbox, I still have mine from the original release date and it works a million times better than BOTH of the broken 360's I got! One we bought, the other given to us.) PS3 is just a much better console with a better choice of game's for my tastes, at least mine has never burnt out in the first five seconds of turning it on like my 360 did.

Not trying to bash the 360, just describing my feelings and experience I had with Microsoft.

Also, hooray, something that has created thousands of D-Bag, drooling fanboys has sold well once again, what a surprise! That's the only reason why it got so much cash, because of it's lap-dog fans. The games are so overhyped and boring, hopefully none are ever made again. I know that they'll keep being made to squeeze every bit of money out of it though. I'm waiting for them to slap the Halo name on a Lego game... anything is possible.

One last thing:
John Funk said:
Hey Aaron, want to compare Halo 3's sales to those of the Wii's biggest titles next? Probably not.
That last sentence made me lol.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
demoman_chaos said:
Nihilism_Is_Bliss said:
there ARE roughly twice as many xbox's as ps3 out there.
Not quite there.
PS3 sales are quickly catching up the the 360 (only about 4 mil worldwide behind, despite the year headstart), and most of the 360 sales are repeat buyers who are on their 3rd or 4th one at least. So tis likely less than 1 in use per 2 sales. So total is roughly 20 mil of the 40 mil sold are not busted. Compared to likely 30 of the 36 mil PS3's still in working order.
Or you know, the Xbox 360s that were repaired for free by Microsoft when they bricked, you didn't factor those in. But why let facts get in the way of fanboyism, which this entire topic smacks of on both sides (not the person I quote specifically, I'm talking universally). All this whiny complaining about how there are more Xboxes than PS3s so of course there are going to be more games while at the same time people claiming that there are people who have had to re-buy so there must be more PS3s than Xboxes. You can't have it both ways. Either there are more Xboxes or there aren't more Xboxes but you can't claim stupid things like Quantity over Quality and then try to use two different arguments.

Oh and of course there's the ever trendy "Let's bash Halo because it is popular". I have bad news for you (this is speaking universally, not just to the person I'm quoting): taste is subjective. And unfortunately for you, a lot of people decided that the Halo series is good, myself included. And there's nothing you or anyone else can do with that so suck it up already. I don't know what people's deal is where they can't just like their console of choice and not try to shit on the enjoyment of people who don't share their views. Between this and the "Hardcore vs. Casual" bullshit it sometimes makes me wonder when we as a culture became a bunch of selfish, self-entitled babies who can't just accept other gamers as a whole but would rather there be only ONE type of gamer. Yeah because the industry totally got where it is today by not expanding to make gaming more accessible to more people, no siree.

toastmaster2k8

Jul 21, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Danallighieri said:
Resist..urge to...fanboy rage... and whoever noted MGS 4 is missing... that is a very fair point right there, where are the sales for mgs 4!
MGS4 isn't a firstparty title.
Plus, evan if they did count it, I dont think one game is gonna make the diffrence out of 6 games combined.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
I've been looking up these NPD guys because I always wonder about a huge sweeping statements like these.

What NPD figures have you got on that?

I'd easily believe this one if it were just US sales but world-wide I find it a very hard sell.

Other than that:

Halo3 is popular? Oh noez!