Halo 3 Outsells PS3's Heavy Hitters Combined

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Chicago Ted said:
Most of the time when it chews up a disc it is because the 360 was moved while it was running it. And then you have to consider the odds of it being Halo 3 that was being played while it did it. And on top of that, the chance the person would go out and purchase it again.
I would imagine halo 3 is a widely purchased/played game on the 360 (given the article) so odds are, a good number of them were chewed up. And I most certainly think most of them would replace the disc. Probably more people than those who went out and bought another 360 when theirs bricked and I know there are many of them.
Ya, but it's not like 50% of people playing online are playing Halo 3 only. I mean you have Gears of War, Call of Duty, and several other single player games that people sink their time into also. It's not like most of them chewed up will be Halo 3.

And take this from me, I've heard of more people having their 360's die on them then having their disc chewed up by it. And I haven't heard of a 360 dieing for more then a year now from any of them. It's just not a common thing to happen in general.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Shycte said:
ark123 said:
Shycte said:
ark123 said:
McDonalds outsells every 5 star restaurant in the planet combined by several orders of magnitude.
Not sure if that argument is quite legit [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/halo3?q=halo%203]
1) If you'd read the rest of the thread you'd know thats not what I meant.
2) It's still not better than all those games combined. Not by a very long shot.
Well that is a question of personal taste. I for one can see why some 8-year old kids people could enjoy GoW III, but I am not one of them.

I was just pointing out that acording to reviews, Halo isn't exactly the McDonalds of gaming,
1)Ironically, xbox live is chock full of 8 year olds playing halo 3.
2)I never said Halo was McDonalds. Learn to read. I've made the point over and over in this thread that you can present facts that have no relation in a matter that implies correlation, which is what I did.
3)If you're going to use a Metacritic score as evidence of Halo 3 being good with a score of 94, you look like a dumbass when you say God of War 3 isn't good and it scored 93 in the exact same site.
4) If you think that Halo 3 is better than all the games he mentioned combined, you, sir, are a complete dumbass.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Treblaine said:
One has to ask:

"How does one game selling 11 million copies indicate the SINGLE copy a user owns is any better? how does that make the wider console library more valuable"
In a game focused on multiplayer, which is what Halo is, a wider install base means more likelihood of finding an enjoyable match. Halo 3 is still the third most played game on Live, (according to Bungie's stat tracker, 472,000 people have played it online in the last 24 hours). Two and a half years after release, there are still half a million unique players a day on there, so even now it's still worth picking up for it's online game.
Hmm, valid point but kinda let down by Xbox Live itself, being a premium service that offers only budget features like laggy peer-to-peer matches with small player caps and legendarily unpleasant community of mic-spammers.

I have experience with Halo 3 and it fares poorly in comparison with Resistance FoM that has a great online multiplayer thanks to dedicated servers with up to 40 players in one Server and highly customisable. To spite selling only a fraction as many copies and coming out way back in 2006 there are always active games on.

PS3's frequent support of Dedicated servers (Warhawk, Resistance 1 & 2, MGS4 online and MAG) has put it a cut above the rest. Peer-to-peer multiplayer I can hardly stand at all, it is such a pain in the arse, I played Gears of War and I still don't know how it is considered a "great multiplayer" as I was never able to get more than 4vs4, it was SO SLOW and buggy, it was like online gaming 1996 rather than contemporary of 2006. No. It was worse than that. Quake came out in 1996 and that is amazing for it's mutliplayer fragging.

Really, console multiplayer has never been able to match up to PC's standard, it will always get the majority of my time, any given console game is not going to get more than 8 hours of online multiplayer from me. I mainly play console games for the single player and local co-op, that's what they're best at.

No console game has yet come to match the fun of PC games like:
-HL2-Deathmatch
-Unreal Tournaments
-Team Fortress 2
-Counterstrike
-The Battlefield series
-Left 4 Dead

even though those have seen console releases, they've all been nerfed ports. Hell most of the time games considered "console titles" are usually better in their PC port form, like COD4.

I can't make grand conclusions and sweeping generalisations for everyone, this is just how it is for me. This is just my experiences and the way I see it.

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
Almost makes sense. Halo 3 was one of the few games I had to buy an extra copy of. Sibling drama of shared assets.

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
They seriously had a research team on this? Bad form microsoft, bad form.

EDIT: Oh and also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QyYaPWasos

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
Halo 3. Proof that games can sell and don't have to be great.

Well, the only game that I really liked was uncharted 2. Haven't played GOW3 or Killzone 2 yet. Both Resitance games sucked. Uncharted 1 was fun, but had sixaxis for grenades.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
Not too surprising, Halo is the one must-own xbox game, 99% of xbox owners would own a Halo game, and there ARE roughly twice as many xbox's as ps3 out there.
But the game choices there aren't really fair, GOW3 is still new, resistance sucked cock and Halo3 is older than all of those games.

Nounverber

Nov 1, 2009
Uggh... HALO - the pinnacle of gaming mediocrity.

That being said, "The Last Guardian" looks like the only reason I'd get a PS3.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
It is rather notable I guess.

Ninja Tank said:
the reason it sells so much cause people have to buy multiple copies I'm on my 3rd i think. They break real easy in the 360 cause even if you move it a inch it just scratches the disk beyond anything playable
Why are you moving your 360 when it's running a disc? If you rotate any machine with an extending (Xbox 360 type) or pulling (Wii type) disc drive while it's running the disc the disc will be scratched.

Plus pretty much any movie/game rental store or electronics retailer will be able to polish away scratches making the disc playable again for a small fee.
This, I hate it when fanboys say things like "WELL TEH XBOX SUXS COZ MICRO$OFT MADE THE GAMES BREAK ON PERPOSE!" to which I say "How so?" to which they counter "COZ WEN U MOVE IT THE GAME GETS BROKEN, HOW CHEAP IS MICRO$OFT LOLFAGS!!!!1!" to which I facepalm.

zombays

Apr 12, 2010
Nounverber said:
Uggh... HALO - the pinnacle of gaming mediocrity.

That being said, "The Last Guardian" looks like the only reason I'd get a PS3.
WRONG! It's call of duty!

CAW4

Feb 7, 2009
Captain Pancake said:
It might have something to do with not as many people owning PS3s. The xbox is just an easier to access console, but the PS3 has somewhat more sophistication about it.

Of course, they'll never beat the PC master race

/fanboyism
They don't count piracy as selling it, so the 2 people who bought any PC game still won't win

zombays

Apr 12, 2010
Nihilism_Is_Bliss said:
Not too surprising, Halo is the one must-own xbox game, 99% of xbox owners would own a Halo game, and there ARE roughly twice as many xbox's as ps3 out there.
But the game choices there aren't really fair, GOW3 is still new, resistance sucked cock and Halo3 is older than all of those games.
Once again, he said it's COMBINED

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
It's days like these where I want to hide the "HALO FAN" stamp I normally have so prominently displayed on my metaphorical sleeve.

*sigh*

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
zombays said:
Nihilism_Is_Bliss said:
Once again, he said it's COMBINED
yeah no shit. And there are twice as many xbox's as Ps3's and Ps3's are pitched to a wider market, so kids who bought Ps3's for little big planet will obviously not have any of those games, and the hardcore JRPG player will obviously have none of those games.
The Xbox however caters solely for the FPS player, meaning that though there are twice as many Xbox players around than Ps3 players, the number of people playing FPS on Xbox compared to the number of FPS players on Ps3 would be way more than double.
Halo3 also...happens to be the most popular FPS game around! meaning it is owned by every single Xbox owner, where even if Halo was multiplatform Halo would be lucky to get into 70% of Ps3 households.

I was merely saying that even with combined sales, you have to effectively more than halve the combined sales of the Ps3's top Games to show anything that actually means anything at all. i was saying the games microsoft picked are bull as well because resistance was terrible and Halo is like 5 years older than Gow3 and resistance 2.

I have nothing against the Xbox, i just think Microsoft's Xbox geeks are waaaaaaay too far up their own asses to be given any credit whatsoever.
The amount of crap they give SONY for outselling the Ps3 is bullshit, as we all know sales alone mean bugger all when talking about quality.
As Halo is good, but probably the most overrated game of all time, and the Wii's 'Wii sports resort' would have probably almost doubled Halo's sales.
Catch my drift?

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Sure, they sold a lot. Most of those copies are sitting in the local used media stores around here.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Dark assassin for hire said:
THANK YOU!! now I have another reason to tell my friend that the ps3 is super man 64... or just say it strait "it is shitty compared to the 360, don't get a ps3."
Here's a simple equation;

Quantity =/= Quality

FallenJellyDoughnut said:
This, I hate it when fanboys say things like "WELL TEH XBOX SUXS COZ MICRO$OFT MADE THE GAMES BREAK ON PERPOSE!" to which I say "How so?" to which they counter "COZ WEN U MOVE IT THE GAME GETS BROKEN, HOW CHEAP IS MICRO$OFT LOLFAGS!!!!1!" to which I facepalm.
Well, I wouldn't boil it down to just that. From what I've heard, if you just nudge or accidentally push the 360 slightly hard it can sometimes make the huge gash in your discs, whereas the Wii/PS3 need to be manhandled harder to severely damage the disc.

But that's just from what I've heard, I've never had any of my discs get damaged from the PS3 itself, but my friend did have one or two discs get pizza-cutted on his 360. There's a difference between "When you move it, it damages the disc!" and "When you slightly nudge it, it can destroy the disc!"