Halo 4 - Underwhelming?

PessimistOwl

Jan 19, 2010
Ohhhh hey they're re-releasing Halo three, how cool is that? :| Oh what's that? Ooooooh they're telling of how Master Chief became teh Samus from Metroid... how original... oh but they have lasers that... disintegrate... just like... their other games.... and... metroid... oh but they have a teleporting robot thingy that looks like it just came... out of... Omega Boost... oh... Hey but they have some cool scripted thingies in the... game... ._.

I'm so glad I stopped playing these games after three came out, I kind of realized that the only thing the series would become would be just pointless add-ons that would make no sense what-so-ever.. but then again, Bungie isn't really known for their impenetrable plot-line now are they? >.>

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
The series gameplay is already perfected. It literally can't get better. So how do they improve it? Throw a moment straight out of Halo Legends in there to show they're making the game more cinematic, showed off an actual boss fight that looks to have put up a challenge, and the weaponry proved we're diving deep into the lore of Halo and no more just SHOOTAN' ALIENZ!

Plus, the ending trailer hinted highly at deeper characters, something the FPS genre needs.

Halo is trying to improve upon where Half-Life 2, Bioshock, CoD4 built the FPS genre up to. I'm excited to see if they can give the genre its next evolutionary step.

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
kingthrall said:
It is a dead horse, its just simple milking for profit. You talk about Sales ect and its perfectly fine to say they make a lot of dough. I dont deny this but the point im making is that bungie has yet to change since 2001. That is 11 Years and still the same freaking quadrilogy. At least companies like blizzard switch games.
I enjoyed the previous games and I assume I'll enjoy this one probably so I'm fairly happy they're milking the franchise as long as overall quality doesn't suffer.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
PessimistOwl said:
Ohhhh hey they're re-releasing Halo three, how cool is that? :| Oh what's that? Ooooooh they're telling of how Master Chief became teh Samus from Metroid... how original... oh but they have lasers that... disintegrate... just like... their other games.... and... metroid... oh but they have a teleporting robot thingy that looks like it just came... out of... Omega Boost... oh... Hey but they have some cool scripted thingies in the... game... ._.

I'm so glad I stopped playing these games after three came out, I kind of realized that the only thing the series would become would be just pointless add-ons that would make no sense what-so-ever.. but then again, Bungie isn't really known for their impenetrable plot-line now are they? >.>
It makes perfect sense, nothing in this has been pulled out of their asses, and has been building up to since 2010.

Nothing in this doesn't make sense, and Bungie isn't making Halo 4... Geez, people want to insult it but then make false claims and make them selves out to be false. It has been stated MANY times that Halo 4 is made by 343 not Bungie.

DancePuppets said:
kingthrall said:
It is a dead horse, its just simple milking for profit. You talk about Sales ect and its perfectly fine to say they make a lot of dough. I dont deny this but the point im making is that bungie has yet to change since 2001. That is 11 Years and still the same freaking quadrilogy. At least companies like blizzard switch games.
I enjoyed the previous games and I assume I'll enjoy this one probably so I'm fairly happy they're milking the franchise as long as overall quality doesn't suffer.
Don't bother trying to argue with him, the guy has shown to be a rapid Myth fan who really hates Halo.

Baby Tea said:
Sixcess said:
It looked okay to me. I don't think there's any need for every new game to innovate. A sequel in a popular franchise should deliver more of the same, only ever more polished - that's why people buy them.
Ding ding ding.

People who ***** about Halo being stagnant are usually people who don't enjoy the series anyways. Which is like me complaining that Madden is stagnant. Or the FIFA series. Or Final Fantasy. OR any series that I don't enjoy. The best sequels are for the fans: Take what worked, and tweak it closer to perfection. Baldur's Gate 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Halo 2, etc. These games didn't re-invent the wheel, they took the wheel they had and made it more round.

And that's OK.

If you never liked Halo, that's OK. You don't have to like this one. Nobody is forcing you to, and if you try it and STILL don't like it, you're not missing out on anything. It's a game you don't like. I can't stand Final Fantasy, or Devil May Cry, any fighting game, and the Zelda series. That's OK. They aren't for me. They aren't bad games in general, just a bad choice for me. And that's OK. Get over it.

Why do we have to drag this up every effing time a series comes out with a new addition?
Ding ding ding!

You're right! :D

I swear you can't make ANY game without it be called milked... The term has been so over used...

Terraniux

Oct 4, 2011
Game of the Year 2012, right here. Once this comes out, I'm going to play nothing but this, Madden, and CoD while drinking Mountain Dew and and eating Pizza Hut.

TurtleCannon

Mar 6, 2012
It's a HALO game, the only good things about that series are the music and backgrounds. Can't wait to NOT play the new one.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
*Sigh...* I really liked the presentation and trailer for the game...

Then they showed the gameplay and I remembered why I left the series and only borrow the latest game to beat the campaign just to see what happened...

Stripes

May 22, 2012
The new enemies look cool, however they need to explain why covenant are present. Maybe itll be a time travel thing or something but they have to explain it, since they have bothered about the plot im gonna say they have a good reason. I hope covenant dont feature to prominently since the last 6 games have had them and the new weapons might bring in some variety to the whole situation. I dont think covenant are same old covenant since they are not here to attack UNSC since no one knows master chief is there and the other humans have only just shown up and they are supposed to be non-combat or something. There might be marines and weapons but they werent meant to be fighting or even be there. Multilplayer is my main concern and so long as the maps have the same halo, otherwordly feel as they did in halo 3 and the game modes are as customisable then im happy. Im positive about this but ill wait and see, though simply the minor appearance of covenant is not enough to start saying the series has fallen since the new enemies look pretty interesting both aesthetically and in combat.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
The only nicpik is when that Forerunner hunter thing got upclose to Chief and its face open up to reveal its face, it's so cliche (it look like a energy/ red human skull oh gee don't tell me they are human related).
I seem to recall SOMETHING being mentioned in other games about the forerunners creating humans, and of course making them look like themselves. Can't quite remember though :p

OT: Well, if you didn't "get" halo before, you're unlikely to start now. I like what i see, they are delivering more halo. Now if only they could open up the levels more like in halo 1. Oh who am i kidding they are never gonna get that right again D:

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well I liked how it looks, but then again, I don't expect people on the escapist to like it anyway, you guys never really liked halo in the first place, I'm not expecting this one to be the magic bolt of lighting that wins you over. Oh yeah they're REALLY milking the series here what with the new weapons, storyline, enemies, character interpratation, location game modes, armor design, and vehicles. Apartt from that, they're REALLY milking it.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
How in the bloody hell are you people nitpicking a game that has not even come out yet, is probably still in development, and your only glimpse into it was a trailer? You people are unbelievable. I can't even play this game since I switched over to a PS3 but I'm not about to pass judgement on it until the game COMES. OUT. I will say this, it LOOKED good, but that's all I can say on it. There was minimal gameplay for anyone to properly analyze. So quit your bitching, wait for the game to come out, and THEN tear into it if you will, because you'll actually have something substantive to base your claims on.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
daveman247 said:
Scarim Coral said:
The only nicpik is when that Forerunner hunter thing got upclose to Chief and its face open up to reveal its face, it's so cliche (it look like a energy/ red human skull oh gee don't tell me they are human related).
I seem to recall SOMETHING being mentioned in other games about the forerunners creating humans, and of course making them look like themselves. Can't quite remember though :p

OT: Well, if you didn't "get" halo before, you're unlikely to start now. I like what i see, they are delivering more halo. Now if only they could open up the levels more like in halo 1. Oh who am i kidding they are never gonna get that right again D:
Were the levels ever that open? The game got rather linear at points and before you mention the Island level in Halo 1 remember that there were specific places you had to fight the enemies in to begin with. And don't get me STARTED on those awful corridor sections you had to backtrack through. OR THE LIBRARY?!? Dear God that was a nightmare.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
DeathZone66 said:
Game of the Year 2012, right here. Once this comes out, I'm going to play nothing but this, Madden, and CoD while drinking Mountain Dew and and eating Pizza Hut.
Well aren't you a witty character.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Sixcess said:
It looked okay to me. I don't think there's any need for every new game to innovate. A sequel in a popular franchise should deliver more of the same, only ever more polished - that's why people buy them.
Ding ding ding.

People who ***** about Halo being stagnant are usually people who don't enjoy the series anyways. Which is like me complaining that Madden is stagnant. Or the FIFA series. Or Final Fantasy. OR any series that I don't enjoy. The best sequels are for the fans: Take what worked, and tweak it closer to perfection. Baldur's Gate 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Halo 2, etc. These games didn't re-invent the wheel, they took the wheel they had and made it more round.

And that's OK.

If you never liked Halo, that's OK. You don't have to like this one. Nobody is forcing you to, and if you try it and STILL don't like it, you're not missing out on anything. It's a game you don't like. I can't stand Final Fantasy, or Devil May Cry, any fighting game, and the Zelda series. That's OK. They aren't for me. They aren't bad games in general, just a bad choice for me. And that's OK. Get over it.

Why do we have to drag this up every effing time a series comes out with a new addition?
Because The Escapist community as a whole can't reason.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
TheCommanders said:
Scarim Coral said:
I just remembered, did Halo used to have the CoD style scripted events such as this? I don't think it did. Is the game that used to be called innovative now jumping on the proverbial bandwagon?

Anyway, I still don't quite understand what Halo is doing that is any different or better than any other shooters currently available. Compared to CoD or Battlefield it's not very realistic, compared to Bulletstorm it's not very over the top. The environments look incredibly generic, and the weapons are hardly original (with one or two exceptions). The main character has no discernable personality and the supporting cast are usually one dimensional (possible exception of Cortana). If it's all about the multiplayer, is it just the fact that you get the forge that makes it worthwhile? Everything else about it is done elsewhere and better. I just don't get it.
yup, halo reach had quite a few of these first person scripted scenes.

As for your second questions. For single player, YES the enviroments/ weapons aren't anything too special these days (everybody ripped them off). Halo STILL has some of the best enemy AI (something most shooters continue to fail at) and combines vehicles with first person shooting very well.

In multiplayer, yes there is forge which is very cool. Halo still has the best/ stable matchmaking system as well as being one of the last arcadey multiplayer shooters.

The games are also highly customisable. Getting to choose almost everything (even things like gravity, creating game modes and powerups.) Another thing which many shooters fail to include.

This, to me, is what makes halo special :D

Danne

Mar 7, 2012
TurtleCannon said:
It's a HALO game, the only good things about that series are the music and backgrounds. Can't wait to NOT play the new one.
Hm. Do you think before typing? You have not only said something wasn't good without reason, but also have added nothing to this topic. Ok . You'r not going to play Halo 4. Thats's fine, but no one else wants to know that. At least without reason.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
*inserts comment about Halo being generic, a cash-cow, and exclusively for drooling fanboys with an IQ of < 10*

*smugly pats self on back for being "special", "not one of the sheep" and a "sophisticated gamer"*

*goes back to sniffing own farts*

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
dashiz94 said:
Were the levels ever that open? The game got rather linear at points and before you mention the Island level in Halo 1 remember that there were specific places you had to fight the enemies in to begin with. And don't get me STARTED on those awful corridor sections you had to backtrack through. OR THE LIBRARY?!? Dear God that was a nightmare.
It was still more open than what the games have become now :/

Yeah the problem with the first one was it started out really strong then got weaker as it went along. Especially when it forced you into corridors and started recylcing levels.

But those first five missions or so... damn. Halo, "the island level", the snow level and some of the first flood level were quite open and had large battlefields. They only got smaller as they games went on. With a few sparks in between. The campaigns are still great, just want them a bit more open :)