Halo 4 - Underwhelming?

Danne

Mar 7, 2012
I_am_a_Spoon said:
*inserts comment about Halo being generic, a cash-cow, and exclusively for drooling fanboys with an IQ of < 10*

*smugly pats self on back for being "special", "not one of the sheep" and a "sophisticated gamer"*

*goes back to sniffing own farts*
^this^

You forgot playing more CoD

Terraniux

Oct 4, 2011
dashiz94 said:
DeathZone66 said:
Game of the Year 2012, right here. Once this comes out, I'm going to play nothing but this, Madden, and CoD while drinking Mountain Dew and and eating Pizza Hut.
Well aren't you a witty character.

Hey man, don't hate on the lifestyle, bro. I've got my whole Fall planned out. You think I'm joking?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
TurtleCannon said:
It's a HALO game, the only good things about that series are the music and backgrounds. Can't wait to NOT play the new one.
This comment was unnecessary and untrue.

Your opinions are not facts.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
luvd1 said:
Zhukov said:
Uuuuuurgh.

Underwhelming is putting it kindly.

Also, why is he shooting Covenant at the start? The war is over, they said it like six times. Also, didn't the Elites split from the other Covenant species? Why are they back together?
As soon as I saw that, I just switched off.
Zhukov said:
Uuuuuurgh.

Underwhelming is putting it kindly.

Also, why is he shooting Covenant at the start? The war is over, they said it like six times. Also, didn't the Elites split from the other Covenant species? Why are they back together?
Actually, I was told they were sepratists, pirates, or stragglers. They call them Covenant because we're used to seeing them.

I was also told we'd only see them in like the first level or 2 and that was it.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Zhukov said:
That's what I was concerned about as soon as Halo 4 was announced. The war is flat out over, they are completely at peace, they have nothing to fight over. If they are gonna bring Covenant back as an enemy it better be for a dam good reason.

My guess would be they are fighting over the Forerunners' stuff, except that the forerunner are actually in the game as a common enemy. I just hope they don't have a really arbitrary/dubious reason for a war for the whole new trilogy.

Skull Kid

Apr 16, 2010
Meh, far from excited for this. I really enjoyed Reach but this kinda looks like a step backwards, all the 'new' stuff seems to be minor changes aside from the new enemy
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
the environment looks all to simular to the one at the beginning of 3.
Definitely, I was getting serious deja vu up up til the point were the covenant showed up and I lost any interest I had in the game. I know they weren't there for long but I can guarantee that wont be the only time they show up

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
TheCommanders said:
Scarim Coral said:
The only nicpik is when that Forerunner hunter thing got upclose to Chief and its face open up to reveal its face, it's so cliche (it look like a energy/ red human skull oh gee don't tell me they are human related).
I just remembered, did Halo used to have the CoD style scripted events such as this? I don't think it did. Is the game that used to be called innovative now jumping on the proverbial bandwagon?

Anyway, I still don't quite understand what Halo is doing that is any different or better than any other shooters currently available. Compared to CoD or Battlefield it's not very realistic, compared to Bulletstorm it's not very over the top. The environments look incredibly generic, and the weapons are hardly original (with one or two exceptions). The main character has no discernable personality and the supporting cast are usually one dimensional (possible exception of Cortana). If it's all about the multiplayer, is it just the fact that you get the forge that makes it worthwhile? Everything else about it is done elsewhere and better. I just don't get it.
I've always "enjoyed" explaining this to people

Compared to CoD or Battlefield it's not very realistic,
That's like saying Starwars isn't Platoon, it makes no sense. it's a sci-fi shooter taking hints from Aliens and Predator. Quite frankly, it's also one of the few places that provides actual color compared to most shooters.

compared to Bulletstorm it's not very over the top.
Just because it's a shooter doesn't mean it's trying to be ironic.......nor should it be.

The environments look incredibly generic, and the weapons are hardly original (with one or two exceptions).
Giant Alien Superstructure with similar architecture from the last 3 times we've seen them. Anything like Jungles and Deserts is what makes Halo different to other shooters, we get blank spaces where war was never seen.
Weapons are boiled down to different areas:
Human
Alien
Forerunner

Human weapons are the basic coverings most shooters have such as rockets, and shotguns
Alien (or Covenant) weapons are mixed up a little, such as the needler or energy sword
Forerunner may have more than just basic human roles, we'll wait until release because before, we had the Sentinel Beam as a weapon.

The main character has no discernable personality and the supporting cast are usually one dimensional (possible exception of Cortana).
Have you even played any of the previous games? The Chief has a personality, he knows whats right and what needs to be done. He may not have a face but he knows what he is, a super soldier.
Halo has always had back up lines or one small line to give ideas about who someone is. From the first line in ODST, you could tell that their sniper was a wise ass.

If it's all about the multiplayer, is it just the fact that you get the forge that makes it worthwhile? Everything else about it is done elsewhere and better. I just don't get it

Halo has been about more bang for your buck than just: "4 hour campaign, then shitty multiplayer, then profit" that the shooter trend seems to know.

Forge is its own thing, what other shooter do you know of that has a map editor built in by the developers (NOT MODDERS)? The only one you could think of is Far Cry 2. That adds massive replay value alone.
Halo also has a wide variety of custom game options, not many shooters I know of also allow use to change gravity and spawn placements, let alone have unique game types like Headhunter.
Ever had that awesome moment in a game, where ever it is, that you wish you recorded? Halo 3 was the first game to introduce theater mode, which records everything for you to share files and such of your awesomeness.
The story has been much more of "show what we need, then add little details through out to explain it all". If you've played Halo 3, you would know that in certain areas you come across terminals which tell more of the story behind where you are fighting, same goes for Reach and Halo: Anniversary (Which added those terminals).

Halo does things better than most games, and while some games have certain things better than Halo, that also means it also has little to say. Most shooters do the "Graphics only" approach or use set pieces like the white house being destroyed. Halo is one of the few sci-fi shooters that gets it right. Whether you like it or not, it is definitly NOT a bad game, it is quite a great game that has a positive impact on our industry.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Crazy Zaul said:
Zhukov said:
That's what I was concerned about as soon as Halo 4 was announced. The war is flat out over, they are completely at peace, they have nothing to fight over. If they are gonna bring Covenant back as an enemy it better be for a dam good reason.

My guess would be they are fighting over the Forerunners' stuff, except that the forerunner are actually in the game as a common enemy. I just hope they don't have a really arbitrary/dubious reason for a war for the whole new trilogy.
Nothing to fight over... Thats a joke.

Like someone said just today on here, the alliance between UNSC and the Elites as only out of necessity not because they made peace. Sort of like the US and USSR during World War 2. As soon as the war was over, they went to shooting each other.
daveman247 said:
Scarim Coral said:
The only nicpik is when that Forerunner hunter thing got upclose to Chief and its face open up to reveal its face, it's so cliche (it look like a energy/ red human skull oh gee don't tell me they are human related).
I seem to recall SOMETHING being mentioned in other games about the forerunners creating humans, and of course making them look like themselves. Can't quite remember though :p

OT: Well, if you didn't "get" halo before, you're unlikely to start now. I like what i see, they are delivering more halo. Now if only they could open up the levels more like in halo 1. Oh who am i kidding they are never gonna get that right again D:
Short history lesson! :D

The precursors created the Forerunners to uphold the mantle (An ideaology), when the Pre's decided that the Fore's were unworthy, they tried to wipe them out. But the Forerunners discovered this and rebelled back and either destroyed and banished their creators.

After some of the Precursors were still alive they created Humanity to uphold the mantle and sort of take it back from the Forerunners. Many years later to the point that the Forerunner-Precursor war is not known, Humanity has risen and is on par with the Forerunners. When Humanity encounters the flood, some colonies are forced to move and they got into Forerunner terriotory and thus the Human-Forerunner war began.

Because they fought a two-sided war (unknown to the Forerunners) and having to sacrifice 1/3 of Humanity to the flood to push it back, they lost the war and were originally going to be killed but the Librarian argued their existance and she sort of became their protector. Humantiy was still banished to Earth and forcably devolved.

Then the story with the Forerunners and Flood begins and then you know where it goes from there.

Note: This is highly simplfying the events and such.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Emiscary said:
Just the 4th one? Halo is like introductory sci-fi/FPS for fratboys.

You don't get out to talk to those kinds of people do you? Those types left Halo when Modern Warfare 2 came out. Anyone playing Halo nowadays is usually someone you can have a decent conversation with.

No troll, no lie, Small children have also left.

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
I would compare Halo's story to that of Mass Effect but that would be the easy way out.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Emiscary said:
Just the 4th one? Halo is like introductory sci-fi/FPS for fratboys.

You don't get out to talk to those kinds of people do you? Those types left Halo when Modern Warfare 2 came out. Anyone playing Halo nowadays is usually someone you can have a decent conversation with.

No troll, no lie, Small children have also left.
Keep using the owls. XD

And also this is true, when I go on Halo, I rarely ever hear small children, hell I barely hear any swearing. No one really talks. D:

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
AlexLoxate said:
I would compare Halo's story to that of Mass Effect but that would be the easy way out.
Halo's story is more of show little, let the player find the rest.

I'd say that method and the resulting story has been great so far.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Stripes said:
The new enemies look cool, however they need to explain why covenant are present. Maybe itll be a time travel thing or something but they have to explain it, since they have bothered about the plot im gonna say they have a good reason. I hope covenant dont feature to prominently since the last 6 games have had them and the new weapons might bring in some variety to the whole situation. I dont think covenant are same old covenant since they are not here to attack UNSC since no one knows master chief is there and the other humans have only just shown up and they are supposed to be non-combat or something. There might be marines and weapons but they werent meant to be fighting or even be there. Multilplayer is my main concern and so long as the maps have the same halo, otherwordly feel as they did in halo 3 and the game modes are as customisable then im happy. Im positive about this but ill wait and see, though simply the minor appearance of covenant is not enough to start saying the series has fallen since the new enemies look pretty interesting both aesthetically and in combat.
The Covenant in majority has ceased hostilities with Humanity, though the tensions between the two for the whole, you know.. genocide attempt by the Covenant is still pretty raw. In the last book so far, Glasslands, there is an extremist Covenant sect made of Elites and other Covenant races that religiously still desires to utterly wipe out Humanity. The Covenant forces seen in the trailer so far could very likely be these extremists.

The other UNSC forces are non-combatant, from the downed UNSC Infinity, that was brought to the Shield World in the same way that Master Chief/Cortana were.

OT: I've already pre-ordered the Limited Edition, so I'm pretty much set to go. From reading every single Halo book in existence so far, I do really like the lore of the Halo universe. I'm curious to see just how far and detailed 343 Studio's can make of this new trilogy..

Mitchell Osborn

Aug 6, 2011
Yeah it looks average to me also. I know Co-op and multy-player is where the fun will be but i enjoy story more then playing with strangers. And this one looks shallow.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
It didn't disappoint me. Gorgeous visuals, new enemies that look like they will be downright devious on higher difficulties, new mysteries. What we have seen is only the tip of the iceberg. More multiplayer to see, Spartan Ops sounds great, Forge and Theater are still on the horizon. Sounds great to a long time fan like me.

Eldrig

Apr 25, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Well it look pretty good from the gameplay video I saw just like their past Halo video, the type you get hype for.
They've been building up to a pretty serious connection between humans and the forerunners the whole series. One of the reasons the Covenant were supposed to have gone to war with humanity is because humans came up on their scans as forerunner artifacts or somesuch, and the prophets decided to declare war to keep the covenant intact (and just hope everyone forgets that little bit of info I guess).

Stripes

May 22, 2012
ShadowsofHope said:
Stripes said:
The new enemies look cool, however they need to explain why covenant are present. Maybe itll be a time travel thing or something but they have to explain it, since they have bothered about the plot im gonna say they have a good reason. I hope covenant dont feature to prominently since the last 6 games have had them and the new weapons might bring in some variety to the whole situation. I dont think covenant are same old covenant since they are not here to attack UNSC since no one knows master chief is there and the other humans have only just shown up and they are supposed to be non-combat or something. There might be marines and weapons but they werent meant to be fighting or even be there. Multilplayer is my main concern and so long as the maps have the same halo, otherwordly feel as they did in halo 3 and the game modes are as customisable then im happy. Im positive about this but ill wait and see, though simply the minor appearance of covenant is not enough to start saying the series has fallen since the new enemies look pretty interesting both aesthetically and in combat.
The Covenant in majority has ceased hostilities with Humanity, though the tensions between the two for the whole, you know.. genocide attempt by the Covenant is still pretty raw. In the last book so far, Glasslands, there is an extremist Covenant sect made of Elites and other Covenant races that religiously still desires to utterly wipe out Humanity. The Covenant forces seen in the trailer so far could very likely be these extremists.

The other UNSC forces are non-combatant, from the downed UNSC Infinity, that was brought to the Shield World in the same way that Master Chief/Cortana were.

OT: I've already pre-ordered the Limited Edition, so I'm pretty much set to go. From reading every single Halo book in existence so far, I do really like the lore of the Halo universe. I'm curious to see just how far and detailed 343 Studio's can make of this new trilogy..
AAAh right thats good, thanks for telling me. Do you think they will play a large role? (the covenant). The thing about it is that few people want to see another game with covenant as the main ememies since they have been done to death by this point.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Stripes said:
ShadowsofHope said:
Stripes said:

AAAh right thats good, thanks for telling me. Do you think they will play a large role? (the covenant). The thing about it is that few people want to see another game with covenant as the main ememies since they have been done to death by this point.
They said that they won't have a large role, but you will learn the ultimate fate of the Covenant.