Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Review

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Review

The game that started a legacy looks better than ever.

Read Full Article

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Ironically, Halo was the game that got me into PC gaming back then (along with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, awesome game), I can't remember how many times I finished this game and how many hours I spent playing multiplayer online (a huge advantage that the PC version had over the original Xbox game). I know that the game feels incredibly slow and clunky to be played on a PC these days, but I just loved it back then, even when I already played such PC classics, like Half-Life 1/2, Max Payne and others.

If I hadn't already sold my Xbox 360, I'd buy this game in a flash.

Xenos Eriadin

Mar 11, 2009
I just can't understand why anyone would be excited about this game. All I keep hearing is that the graphics look great and that they didn't alter the gameplay in any way.
Then why not just buy the original game on the xbox? I checked, and you can pick up a used copy on amazon for like ?5! I heard that eventually you'll be able to download the multiplayer maps separately for Halo Reach, which makes this game even more pointless in my opinion.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Wow, the graphics look terrible, even on the updated side :S. But then I guess Halo has never been about graphical prowess. I would give this game a look, but I still have Halo 1 on my 360 so I'll pass.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Playing this game on Heroic reminds me of how much easier games have gotten over the years. It's punishing me relentlessly.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I never did get around to getting a 360, having transferred my gaming affections to the Pc by the time it came along, but I still play Halo: CE on my old Xbox from time to time, and was nodding in agreement when reading the review comments about just how smooth the gameplay is. There aren't many other games that I can think of that are so well polished in that respect - Doom, Portal and, perhaps, WoW.

Sure there are more complex shooters out there, but Doom wasn't complex either and Halo belongs right up there as one of the most enjoyable FPSs I've ever played.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Russ is back? Or is the current onslaught of releases so overwhelming that they had to call back the Escapist's prodigal son?

Anyway, I'm really not into first person shooters (aside from TF2 and the Metroid Prime series, if you count that), but I always thought if I ever another one a shot then it would be Halo. I like the art style and the sci-fi setting. I might give Anniversary a chance whenever my ever-expanding backlog dwindles down.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I have the original Halo:CE downloaded on my 360 hard drive (remember the days when they tried to have a service for original Xbox games?) is there much point in getting this remake?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Considering I played though the campaign of halo probably at least 20 times, Im not sure how much more of it I want to do, Ill probably get this at some point but not at launch, halo did have the best feel out of almost all the halo games, I think only reach felt as refined as the original did and it certainly had the best enemy ai. I cant help but think that if halo had been released on pc instead of console, it would be a big fps but not as big as it was, I think the reason it really took off was because it was the first time a fps game really felt good to play on the console.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Okay... I get that it's a mechanically solid game, but calling it the first/only remake to work is stretching the Hyperbole a bit far, Not to mention the claim that it's the ONLY game that can feel just as fresh now as when it was released, I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit right there.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
TheRealHardcoreGamer said:
A 4.5 stars! I hate the escapist, they're just a bunch of mainstream tools. Yahzee is the only good reviewer on this website, because he tells it like it is. I was glad I gave him money for his trip to PAX, even though tickets ran out and I didn't receive my money back.

Halo is a game for twelve year-old boys, it's the video game equivalent of Justin Bieber. It's the same shit, wrapped up with nice graphics.

Also, the graphics look like shit. Anybody who disagrees is a blind, Halo fanboy.

4.5 stars? You're officially an idiot Mr. Puss Pitts.
That's ok. We hate you, too. :) Buh-bye, now!

DustyDrB said:
Russ is back? Or is the current onslaught of releases so overwhelming that they had to call back the Escapist's prodigal son?
He offered, actually, and given the metric ton of games we had to review this month, we gladly accepted. I think he just wanted an excuse to play Halo, personally.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
TheRealHardcoreGamer said:
A 4.5 stars! I hate the escapist, they're just a bunch of mainstream tools. Yahzee is the only good reviewer on this website, because he tells it like it is. I was glad I gave him money for his trip to PAX, even though tickets ran out and I didn't receive my money back.

Halo is a game for twelve year-old boys, it's the video game equivalent of Justin Bieber. It's the same shit, wrapped up with nice graphics.

Also, the graphics look like shit. Anybody who disagrees is a blind, Halo fanboy.

4.5 stars? You're officially an idiot Mr. Puss Pitts.
That's ok. We hate you, too. :) Buh-bye, now!

DustyDrB said:
He offered, actually, and given the metric ton of games we had to review this month, we gladly accepted. I think he just wanted an excuse to play Halo, personally.
Why do you need an excuse to play Halo? :p

Also yeah, good luck with reviewing all of the many many games coming out now.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Was it really necessary to throw in the Mac vs. PC and Android vs. iPhone fayboy BS? As if Halo doesn't inspire enough fanboys to come out of the woodwork? Just review the game please, if I want commentary on which tech platforms are the best, I'll be sure to ask.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
To be honest, this is the way that people should do HD remakes - actually changing the textures and models instead of pointing and shouting "Look, we made the resolution bigger!".

I think I'll still buy this eventually, even if I am still disappointed that they didn't change that fucking Library level.