Halo Infinite is out.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The hayabusa armor in Halo 3 was fucking insane and looked hella dope. Halo infinite armors look like pure poop
No, it didn't. It was ugly, and the one with the flaming head looked uglier. It didn't belong at all.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
In other games, the way battle pass is set is that free unlocks are okay and premiums are cool-looking. Here, there's nothing for free players.

I am seeing a lot of feedbacks on how slow the progression is, and while they are definitely bad, I feel it is made worse by these "rewards" you get from grinding so much. It honestly is no different than paying for individual cosmetic stuff.

You know what's the worst part for me? I like the gameplay. It feels like halo. But In any multiplayer games my number one question is "to what end am I playing these matches?" And sadly, there isn't much to write home about.
Why does there have to be some kind of end-game or progression? Can't you just play the game to have fun? I don't remember people complaining that Halo 3 didn't have gun camos to unlock. We just played to play.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Why does there have to be some kind of end-game or progression? Can't you just play the game to have fun? I don't remember people complaining that Halo 3 didn't have gun camos to unlock. We just played to play.
The game is fun, yes, but for me I need to have some sort of sense of progression. I know I can still have fun after the goal is reached, but until then I find myself keep playing multiplayer games to achieve them.

For example, while I definitely enjoyed Halo Reach back on xbox 360, I played to grind those credits to unlock specific armor pieces. Once I unlocked them, I recall still having fun. Older COD games had gun unlocks, which some of them truly felt rewarding. BF games before V (or was it BF1?) had progressional weapon, weapon attachments, gadgets, and vehicle attachments without paying extra (not including dlc contents, which don't count).

With Halo Inf, while there is some sort of progression w/ f2p battle pass system there are only 25 cosmetic unlocks for the entirety of 100 levels, while the stuff you unlock with premium battle pass triple that amount. The rest of the free unlocks are challenge swap, which I find rather insulting. It doesn't incentivize me to keep on playing.

Halo MCC's free battle pass system, which let you put points into any seasonal pass of your choosing with no extra cost, had the right idea. Not sure why they moved away from that

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The game is fun, yes, but for me I need to have some sort of sense of progression. I know I can still have fun after the goal is reached, but until then I find myself keep playing multiplayer games to achieve them.

For example, while I definitely enjoyed Halo Reach back on xbox 360, I played to grind those credits to unlock specific armor pieces. Once I unlocked them, I recall still having fun. Older COD games had gun unlocks, which some of them truly felt rewarding. BF games before V (or was it BF1?) had progressional weapon, weapon attachments, gadgets, and vehicle attachments without paying extra (not including dlc contents, which don't count).

With Halo Inf, while there is some sort of progression w/ f2p battle pass system there are only 25 cosmetic unlocks for the entirety of 100 levels, while the stuff you unlock with premium battle pass triple that amount. The rest of the free unlocks are challenge swap, which I find rather insulting. It doesn't incentivize me to keep on playing.

Halo MCC's free battle pass system, which let you put points into any seasonal pass of your choosing with no extra cost, had the right idea. Not sure why they moved away from that
I think one issue we are all having is that for some reason we seem to be assuming there won't be more unlocks. I mean it is dumb for them to have launched with only this many when they could have just copied what they had for Halo 3 and everyone would be happy. But, another part of the issue is that the character design in Halo has a really distinct feel and look to it and there are is really only so much you can do and maintain that. Can't really do off the wall fun things, can't really play with gender, can't make furries, can't even have elites (apparently). Stuck with just some variation of armor.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, at least they seem to be taking the criticisms seriously.
People really don't give enough credit to 343 industries. Out of all the aaa studios they seem to be the most communicative and willing to openly consider player feedback.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The actual point starts at the 14 minute mark, but the lead up to it is just as important.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Oh boy...

I'm also pretty disappointed with the state of the custom game options, which is what I mostly played on MCC. I don't mind waiting for Forge, but there was a lot you could with just messing around with game rules back in MCC.

And there's just a complete lack of options in Infinite, along with stuff just not working. I had set options which did not work in the match itself. Turn off secondary weapon, spawn with sidekick anyway. Set to start with plasma grenades, also spawn with frag grenades. Didn't touch vehicle options, but vehicles were invulnerable. Also lack of staples like King of the Hill, Juggernaut and all that.

The game is fundamentally still very fun, but it's lacking stuff I want and the progression stuff is pretty awful. As much as I'd just prefer to 'play for fun', seeing that paltry 50XP per match, lack of rewards for performance and also seeing them sell basic colours for silly prices is pretty offputting.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The game is fundamentally still very fun, but it's lacking stuff I want and the progression stuff is pretty awful. As much as I'd just prefer to 'play for fun', seeing that paltry 50XP per match, lack of rewards for performance and also seeing them sell basic colours for silly prices is pretty offputting.
I have a feeling its because of it currently being free to play. Part of me thinks that things will change when the campaign launches but I have nothing to base that on.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
On the topic of the armors available in Infinite, which is actually the only reason I was even slightly interested in Halo as a PS2/3 kid: Everything looks 30x better than the Power Rangers garbage in 4 and 5. That said, they also don't come close to the majority of the armors from the Bungie Halo games. Mainly because they are slightly different versions of the older armors.

I like the idea of a samurai inspired armor, but the way Infinite did it was literally just a space samurai and not a Spartan armor with Japanese flair. It would be cool if they added more historical armors, but man they really need to a better job of adapting them. You can't just stick some LED lights on a samurai, make all his armor metal instead of bamboo, and call it a day.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
As someone who loved Halo Reach, and ODST, but 100% sucks at FPS multiplayer, can I say how annoying it is to have really cool armor skins locked behind multiplayer achievements?!
Get 50 killing streaks? Seriously? I'll be lucky not to get spawn-camped by snipers in the first 10 seconds.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So having played the game a bit more (about 8 hours total, so not a huge amount), I have to say that I really don't care for more of the new weapons that were added to the game. Not that they're bad, but I feel like their visual design and the way they work tends to clash with the "original" halo weapons in an unfavorable way. I also have to say, I don't care for the names of the new weapons and can almost never remember them. I'm really not a fan of any of the Ravager weapons, and there's a couple where I can't tell what the purpose of them is supposed to be. Like the skewer, is it a sniper rifle? Is it an anti-vehicle weapon? It looks like a rocket launcher, but it has a sniper scope. It can kill an enemy in a single hit but doesn't have any kind of explosion radius, and fires a projectile with a travel time so it's difficult to actually hit someone with it at sniper ranges. Not sure why I would ever pick it over an actual sniper rifle or a rocket launcher.

I've also found that I don't like the way armor is being handled in this game from a visual design perspective. In multiplayer you no longer have the red and blue team with red and blue armor colors. Instead everyone runs whatever armor color they want, and have a red or blue outline to show what team they're on. This throws me off constantly. Maybe the outlines aren't prominent enough at all ranges (it seems like the outline gets thicker the further away a character is from you), but at close range I tend to have a little trouble looking for the outline. So whenever I turn a corner and see another player right in front of me it takes me longer than it should to understand whether they're an enemy or not.