Halo Infinite is out.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So having played the game a bit more (about 8 hours total, so not a huge amount), I have to say that I really don't care for more of the new weapons that were added to the game. Not that they're bad, but I feel like their visual design and the way they work tends to clash with the "original" halo weapons in an unfavorable way. I also have to say, I don't care for the names of the new weapons and can almost never remember them. I'm really not a fan of any of the Ravager weapons, and there's a couple where I can't tell what the purpose of them is supposed to be. Like the skewer, is it a sniper rifle? Is it an anti-vehicle weapon? It looks like a rocket launcher, but it has a sniper scope. It can kill an enemy in a single hit but doesn't have any kind of explosion radius, and fires a projectile with a travel time so it's difficult to actually hit someone with it at sniper ranges. Not sure why I would ever pick it over an actual sniper rifle or a rocket launcher.

I've also found that I don't like the way armor is being handled in this game from a visual design perspective. In multiplayer you no longer have the red and blue team with red and blue armor colors. Instead everyone runs whatever armor color they want, and have a red or blue outline to show what team they're on. This throws me off constantly. Maybe the outlines aren't prominent enough at all ranges (it seems like the outline gets thicker the further away a character is from you), but at close range I tend to have a little trouble looking for the outline. So whenever I turn a corner and see another player right in front of me it takes me longer than it should to understand whether they're an enemy or not.
Initially I didn't like any of the ravenger weapons but I've warmed up to most of them. The fiesta mode they have going on really lets you play around with the new stuff and get used too it. Still not sure about the ravenger weapon specifically, it just seems to suck, it does have a little area denial but it takes too long to charge and just sucks, but the rest have their places.

Like, the skewer, treat it like a sniper rifle from close to med range, it just instantly hits, from long range you have to worry about drop, but its still a really fast projectile so don't worry much about travel time. Its great for knocking aircraft out and good against other vehicles. Rockets seem slower in this one then other Halo games and as far as I can tell, don't lock on and don't do quite as much damage as before. at least to vehicles. I hit a warthog with one and didn't blow it up or kill the gunner, should have fired the second missile.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK

This change should be rolling out when the challenges next refresh.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
So having played the game a bit more (about 8 hours total, so not a huge amount), I have to say that I really don't care for more of the new weapons that were added to the game. Not that they're bad, but I feel like their visual design and the way they work tends to clash with the "original" halo weapons in an unfavorable way. I also have to say, I don't care for the names of the new weapons and can almost never remember them. I'm really not a fan of any of the Ravager weapons, and there's a couple where I can't tell what the purpose of them is supposed to be. Like the skewer, is it a sniper rifle? Is it an anti-vehicle weapon? It looks like a rocket launcher, but it has a sniper scope. It can kill an enemy in a single hit but doesn't have any kind of explosion radius, and fires a projectile with a travel time so it's difficult to actually hit someone with it at sniper ranges. Not sure why I would ever pick it over an actual sniper rifle or a rocket launcher.
The Skewer is an anti-vehicle weapon.

The Rocket Launcher has never really been that great of an anti-vehicle weapon (aside from Halo 2, where it locks onto vehicles). Unless the vehicle is slow moving/stationary, or it is barrelling towards you, hitting that vehicle with a relatively slow unguided rocket is going to need a lot of skill, and likely also a lot of luck.

The rocket has generally been more of an anti-infantry weapon, due to its slow-moving projectiles, and forgiving blast radius. The Spartan Laser has generally existed as the franchise's dedicated anti-vehicle weapon since Halo 3, which is now absent from Infinite.

The problem with the laser, was that it was 100% accurate, so you could very easily snipe fast moving or flying vehicles, from anywhere across the map. This was quite oppressive to vehicle gameplay.

The Skewer basically functions as a nerfed Spartan Laser, because the projectiles are slower, and drop after a certain distance, so it can be much harder to get those further-away vehicle snipes, whilst still excelling in the role, due to its near-instant close/medium range impact, high damage, as well as a significant amount of knock-back, which can easily roll vehicles over.

In a pinch, it is also pretty great against solitary infantry targets, so long as you can hit your (only) shot, though the rockets are generally more forgiving, and the sniper has a lot more kill-potential (so long as you can reliably hit your headshots).

As for the rest of the new weapons, though: some I've warmed up to, some I think need a buff, and some I just hate.

The notable one for me is the Pulse Carbine, which I just think is straight-up awful. It is only effective in such a specific range, and anything even slightly outside of that range causes the gun to completely fall over. I just cannot justify ditching either the AR or the Sidekick for it, which I feel are both more consistent weapons, even in the Pulse Carbine's ideal range.

As an aside, I find it strange that this game focuses on the Brutes moreso than any Halo game since 3, yet none of the Brute's previous signature weapons have returned, other than the hammer. Im not too sure why they replaced the Brute Shot with the Ravager, but here we are.

Last edited:

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
As an aside, I find it strange that this game focuses on the Brutes moreso than any Halo game since 3, yet none of the Brute's previous signature weapons have returned, other than the hammer. Im not too sure why they replaced the Brute Shot with the Ravager, but here we are.
I kinda understand their intent to redesign the sandbox and remove redundant weapons. A lot of the dual wieldable weapons were rather pointless in the older games, and the Spiker didn't have that much of a leg to stand on in Reach either. I think it looks cool but I never ever want to use it.

Though I think they could've preserved the Brute aesthetic a bit better. My friend genuinely thought the Disruptor and Shock Rifle were Human weapons, and I don't blame him. If you picked the weapon up for your first time and are just looking over the top of the weapon, it doesn't look very "Brute-ish". The tell-tale massive blade is underslung. I suppose it does have the red colouration that most Banished weapons have.

While I love the Mangler gameplay wise, I do think its weird that it's very much just a "big revolver". They could've made it shoot big spikes out of a more Spiker/Mauler-looking chassis or something.

I respect what they were trying to do with the Ravager, though the result's pretty poo. The AoE charged shot has interesting if rather niche applications, but the primary fire is so bad that you'll rarely want to carry it around.

The Pulse Carbine is definitely in a bad spot. Even at its ideal mid-range where the projectiles can track, it still largely relies on your target to not be aware of you. Some aggressive strafing will still throw the projectiles off, or just the simple act of taking cover. I feel like the projectiles should start off fast and without tracking, so it's at least useful at as a direct fire weapon up close. Then the projectiles can sorta slow down and enter a 'homing mode' or something.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

This change should be rolling out when the challenges next refresh.
…Sooo you earn less and less the more you play.

*slow, inquisitive fart noise*

Meanwhile,

Can’t really say I’m surprised given MS’s track record with PC gamers. We should all know by now not to trust them blowing smoke up everyone’s asses like this.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Can’t really say I’m surprised given MS’s track record with PC gamers. We should all know by now not to trust them blowing smoke up everyone’s asses like this.
I've put in like 30 hours and I don't think I've seen many examples of cheating, maybe a few, but considering the tools the game gives you some of the perceived cases of cheating could just be better players. Plus, it wasn't long ago when pc players were complaining about the rather generous aim assist given to controller users.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Having played the game more I have some additional thoughts.

A lot of the weapons in this game have a lot of complexity to them...which is good in part, however some of the complexity is really extreme, or really niche and creates interactions that are cool but mostly pointless, or are impossible to understand through normal play of the game without someone explicitly explaining them to you, which is a problem.

I had to watch videos to find out how the cindershot, shock rifle , and convenant carbine work because I couldn't figure out what was causing the extreme inconsistency with them, and when I found out how they worked I wasn't impressed by their complexity, I was turned off by it. I just want to see the man and shoot them man.

Despite being fun the game is also launching with really limited functionality.
  • No co-op
  • No level select
  • No Forge
  • Playlist selection
  • No Swat
  • No career stat/medal tracking
  • No armor customization earned from just playing the game.
  • You have to pay basic colors like red and blue
  • No cross-core customization
I've played about 15 hours of Halo Infinite and don't really feel like I want to play any more until playlists are added to the game. I'm sick of not being able to select what game mode I'm going to play.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Everything I've heard about the campaign says that it ends abruptly. Which makes me think, are they going to do small installments of the story over time? Because they did say that Infinite is supposed to last the next ten years or something.