Halo Infinite is out.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Everything I've heard about the campaign says that it ends abruptly. Which makes me think, are they going to do small installments of the story over time? Because they did say that Infinite is supposed to last the next ten years or something.
I am almost certain that Halo Infinite will be receiving campaign DLC.

As you say, the game is supposed to be around for the next 10 years or so. It would be wild if this is all we get for the next decade.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I am almost certain that Halo Infinite will be receiving campaign DLC.

As you say, the game is supposed to be around for the next 10 years or so. It would be wild if this is all we get for the next decade.
I'm interested in seeing how that would work. They'd obviously need to be MUCH cheaper than the main game. Although if they wanted to be cool about it and if they do monetization right, maybe the multiplayer will fund new "episodes" of content. Sort of how most free to play games these days have some kind of running narrative. Except instead of comics/animations/trailers, some single player content.

But I also see them releasing the whole Infinite plot line in maybe three campaigns/games in total. Which sounds a little boring honestly.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Having played the game more I have some additional thoughts.

A lot of the weapons in this game have a lot of complexity to them...which is good in part, however some of the complexity is really extreme, or really niche and creates interactions that are cool but mostly pointless, or are impossible to understand through normal play of the game without someone explicitly explaining them to you, which is a problem.

I had to watch videos to find out how the cindershot, shock rifle , and convenant carbine work because I couldn't figure out what was causing the extreme inconsistency with them, and when I found out how they worked I wasn't impressed by their complexity, I was turned off by it. I just want to see the man and shoot them man.

Despite being fun the game is also launching with really limited functionality.
  • No co-op
  • No level select
  • No Forge
  • Playlist selection
  • No Swat
  • No career stat/medal tracking
  • No armor customization earned from just playing the game.
  • You have to pay basic colors like red and blue
  • No cross-core customization
I've played about 15 hours of Halo Infinite and don't really feel like I want to play any more until playlists are added to the game. I'm sick of not being able to select what game mode I'm going to play.
Don’t you see though? It had to come out before Xmas. It had to! IT HAD TO!!!.

They really only needed to make sure it technically worked better than Cyberpunk: 2077 to be ok for release.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn’t watch the video but judging by that thumbnail the makeover they gave Cortana is pretty cringey.
He did not like it overall. He doesn't think the game is bad, but it does nothing too new or the new features aren't all that noticeable. He also felt the level design is too samey. The last criticism everybody has said, even those that like the game.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Everything I've heard about the campaign says that it ends abruptly. Which makes me think, are they going to do small installments of the story over time? Because they did say that Infinite is supposed to last the next ten years or something.
Halo 2 ended abruptly also.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It seems like a lot of outlet reviews are forgiving the lackluster content. Kinda seems like a Street Fighter V situation but for a shooter. It’s also funny how VG 24/7 for example stated right off the bat, “Halo Infinite isn’t perfect…” yet gives it 100.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It seems like a lot of outlet reviews are forgiving the lackluster content. Kinda seems like a Street Fighter V situation but for a shooter. It’s kinda funny how VG 24/7 for example stated right off the bat, “Halo Infinite isn’t perfect…” yet gives it 100.
Wicht goes to show you how hypocritical and useless a lot of these review sites are. Most of them are praising what they rightfully condemn Street Fighter V for doing. Lackluster content at launch. It's literally 60 plus dollars for a glorified beta. The only ones I trust are Yahtzee, ACG, GGman, and Easy Allies.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
He did not like it overall. He doesn't think the game is bad, but it does nothing too new or the new features aren't all that noticeable. He also felt the level designs to say me. That last criticism everybody has said, even those is that like the game.
Really just seems like "more Halo" tbh. And I actually don't know that "more halo" is a bad thing considering that fans were not very happy the way Halo 5 ended up. I feel like shooter fans don't like shit to change, they just want the same game with new maps and that's it. I mean Battlefield and CoD sell shitloads of copies every year despite the games being the same crap over and over again. Maybe that's just what the shooter fan base wants? I mean there has to be a reason why CS:GO is still popular after 10 years. Right?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Really just seems like "more Halo" tbh. And I actually don't know that "more halo" is a bad thing considering that fans were not very happy the way Halo 5 ended up. I feel like shooter fans don't like shit to change, they just want the same game with new maps and that's it. I mean Battlefield and CoD sell shitloads of copies every year despite the games being the same crap over and over again. Maybe that's just what the shooter fan base wants? I mean there has to be a reason why CS:GO is still popular after 10 years. Right?
That depends on what franchise you're talking about. Even the people that love the new Halo so far, complained that it doesn't do enough with the open sandbox or does not have enough variety biosphere. IE, no snow or desert areas for example. So I can see how the environments get repetitive instantly. You're either in an indoor corridor, forest, or open field most of the time.

Then there's the fact that not all the features are not available at day one for no reason. We already know why, the game was rushed out. They might as well have just waited a few days before Christmas. @Dirty Hipsters, just made his rant a page earlier ago. The fact that you still can't even choose your modes, is a big problem. Also, having to be online for a single-player game, and there's still no co-op mode makes even less sense. That's usually pisses me off and I'll say screw the game out right.

Also, Doom 3 and Doom 4 needed it. While the latter did get some controversy over it, the game still sold well. While the 4th game went more back to the roots of the first two games, it was still a big change up and played more like the later Quake games. Mainly II and III. The main complaints about BioShock infinite was the unnecessary change to do a two weapon limit and get rid of the weapon wheel. I'm not getting into the story nor the characters, that's been done to death. No one complained about the new game plus mode that was added in Bulletstorm. The weapon wheel everybody was happy about when it was added into new game plus. Most people did not like the looter shooter elements in Shadow Warrior 2, so for the third game, it plays more like the first game and it's ditching the the controversial elements from the second game.

Also, games like CS:GO are the exception and not the rule.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
We already know why, the game was rushed out.
Was it rushed though? It was delayed an entire year because it looked like a 2003 game during its reveal. I feel like if you delay a game a year or more (like cyberpunk) you can't call the problems a result of being rushed anymore, instead they just fucked up. Right?

Also, Doom 3 and Doom 4 needed it. Wow the ladder did get some controversy over it, the game still so well. Wow the 4th game went more back to the roots of the first two games, it was still a big change up and played more like the later Quake games. Mainly II and III. The main complaints about BioShock infinite was the unnecessary change to do a two weapon limit and get rid of the weapon wheel. I'm not getting into the story nor the characters, that's been done to death. No one complained about the new game plus mode that was added in Bulletstorm. The weapon wheel everybody was happy about when it was added into new game plus. Most people did not like the looter shooter elements in Shadow Warrior 2, so for the third game, it plays more like the first game and it's ditching the the controversial elements from the second game.
I mean isn't this evidence to suggest that the fans don't want change, when their biggest complaints are changes?

Doom 2016 was basically a fully next gen version of OG Doom after all. Fast movement, shitloads of weapons, secrets, key hunting, hitting a level exit.

CS:GO is only an exception because a new CS doesn't come out every single year, I feel like the principle of the same thing year after year still applies though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Was it rushed though? It was delayed an entire year because it looked like a 2003 game during its reveal. I feel like if you delay a game a year or more (like cyberpunk) you can't call the problems a result of being rushed anymore, instead they just fucked up. Right?
Wrong. Even though it looks more complete by comparison, they still screwed up by rushing it. The fact that there are so many features missing, proves my point. Many features that have been a standard since Halo 1, 2, or 3. See my post with Act Man's videos for further details.

mean isn't this evidence to suggest that the fans don't want change, when their biggest complaints are changes?
Fans don't mind change as long as it doesn't ruin the experience, improves, or enhances the gameplay. Doom 4 had a mix of old and new school. There was plenty of old school, but some new school to help improve features that the old games did not have or didn't do well.

CS:GO is only an exception because a new CS doesn't come out every single year, I feel like the principle of the same thing year after year still applies though.
All it does is prove my point. While there's nothing wrong with if it ain't broke, don't fix it, not every single thing is going to stay the same. Some changes are going to apply here or there. It depends on who and how well they use it or when is necessary.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
This does look a lot better than what I'd seen to date. Campaign review from IGN:

Act Man seems to like the multiplayer

Last edited:

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
That's what Bungie said about Destiny.
And if it wasn't for Activision forcing Bungie to make 3 separate Destiny games, I am fairly certain Destiny would have stopped with the first game.

Destiny 2 came out in 2017, and their current content roadmap is until at least 2023 - so I'd say that they are doing pretty well with this whole 10-year thing, now that they have complete control over the franchise.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Wrong. Even though it looks more complete I comparison, they still screwed up by rushing it. The fact that there are so many features missing, proves my point. Many features that have been a standard since Halo 1, 2, or 3.
Definitely rushed out of the door, but the game also reeks of the developers spending literal years spinning their wheels, figuring out what to do.

My personal belief is that there was a Halo 6 in development at some point, for a fairly significant amount of time, that was a true sequel to Halo 5, but was scrapped, and then rebooted into Halo Infinite.

There is no way this game was in development for 6 years, because of the aforementioned missing features.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Definitely rushed out of the door, but the game also reeks of the developers spending literal years spinning their wheels, figuring out what to do.

My personal belief is that there was a Halo 6 in development at some point, for a fairly significant amount of time, that was a true sequel to Halo 5, but was scrapped, and then rebooted into Halo Infinite.

There is no way this game was in development for 6 years, because of the aforementioned missing features.
Jason Schreier said in one of his articles that Halo Infinite had a Zelda like open world to it, but it needed to be cut down.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Destiny 2 came out in 2017, and their current content roadmap is until at least 2023 - so I'd say that they are doing pretty well with this whole 10-year thing, now that they have complete control over the franchise.
Considering that they're literally closing off (sorry, "vaulting") content that people have paid for as some sort of weaksauce ploy to make stuff they've already made look "fresh" again later on, I'm not sure I rate Bungie very highly.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Jason Schreier said in one of his articles that Halo Infinite had a Zelda like open world to it, but it needed to be cut down.

Yeah, I saw that bit. That was cut in 2019, which would have happend during the game's 4th year of development.

Yeah right.

I'd love to see a full on expose as to what happened during the game's development, because it cetainly wasn't smooth.
Considering that they're literally closing off (sorry, "vaulting") content that people have paid for as some sort of weaksauce ploy to make stuff they've already made look "fresh" again later on, I'm not sure I rate Bungie very highly.
Yeah, me neither. I was just debating giving Destiny 2 another try, then they announced that they were shelving the entire Forsaken expansion. You can still buy it, of course.

I understand Bungie's supposed explaination for why they vault legacy content, but it doesn't exactly fill me with the desire to spend my time or money on their products, when it is all effectively temporary - moreso than most other modern videogames.

If I can still play WoW's Burning Crusade expansion, which came out in 2007, on today's servers, I see no reason why Bungie needs to lock away content that is just over 3 years old. Though, again, it is apparently because Bungie's engine is made with duct tape and bubblegum, so maybe they should invest in fixing that, instead of closing off previously paid-for content.

Reactions: Hawki and BrawlMan