Halo Timeline

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
not that it is very important, but wasn't there that collection of anime Halo stories released not too long ago?

FFMattCR

Nov 15, 2009
Love that
"Further dramatised in Halo: Reach" (referring to the novel, Fall of Reach)

I read the books ages ago and I don't think the developers and peeps even picked up Fall of Reach during the planning for the game, except perhaps to look up one or two names or place descriptions.

Maybe I'm just being picky because the book told a very good story which then explained how we got to halo 1?

To me it doesn't feel like Reach is a precursor to Halo, so much as a Halo title with a story not revolving around the chief and a related setting. (Much like ODST)

(I do appreciate the new graphics engine, advancements and all that but... I don't know)

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
dogstile said:
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Yeesh Halo Wars, what an abysmally shitty end for Ensemble. RIP guys.
I'll be honest, they did a decent job of it. Halo wars is one of the most fun pick up and play RTS's i've played
This.
I love timelines nad Halo so this was a win win for me.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
The game wasn't all that great I agree, but it was kind of worth it for the story. It was interesting and engaging to me.

I mean other than the stupid and pointless inclusion of the Flood and then explaining why no one knows about them as "Then the Spirit of Fire just disappeared, never to be heard from again."

It gave good backstory and showed how desperate the war with the Covenant actually was.All we saw before that was Master Chief kicking every Covies ass with no problems at all and then just being told that the war is desperate.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Awww... no mention of some Halo books...

Pretty good though.

Melancholy_Ocelot said:
What...No mention of the Marathon games???
Halo timeline as the title suggests

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
dogstile said:
I'll be honest, they did a decent job of it. Halo wars is one of the most fun pick up and play RTS's i've played
If you ask me, it was insultingly simple. Not to mention that the console can't do rts controls for shit. There a trillion better rts's out there, all of Ensemble's previous, better games included.
No shit it was simple!It was on a console!Lol

May 23, 2010
Tucker154 said:
dogstile said:
If you ask me, it was insultingly simple. Not to mention that the console can't do rts controls for shit. There a trillion better rts's out there, all of Ensemble's previous, better games included.
No shit it was simple!It was on a console!Lol
I'm still trying to figure out why people thought it was a good idea...
It's like having a grand strategy on an etch-a-sketch.

Apr 28, 2008
Nouw said:

Pretty good though.

Melancholy_Ocelot said:
Bungie has dropped hints every now and then that Marathon and Halo may take place in the same universe. Of course that could just be subtle referencing, who knows.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Irridium said:
Nouw said:

Pretty good though.

Melancholy_Ocelot said:
Bungie has dropped hints every now and then that Marathon and Halo may take place in the same universe. Of course that could just be subtle referencing, who knows.
Could be. I bet the Escapist Staff knew though, but didn't include it to confuse people.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
DazBurger said:
DazBurger said:
dogstile said:
dogstile said:
Insultingly simple? Pray tell, how does a game being simple insult you?
Ensemble has made some good RTS games. Between the lack of any real economy or diplomacy, nor a detailed combat system, it's simply quite dull. If it weren't for the production value, it's about as deep as a movie-based video game. It's like Microsoft expected the game to sell and do well with critics. The trully mindboggling thing is that it did.

In conclusion, I suppose that it isn't really the game that's insulting (although it is VERY sad that Halo Wars was Ensembles last farewall), but rather it's reception.
An RTS dont need economics nor diplomacy. Just look at the C&C games, Warcraft and Starcraft.
No Economics no diplomacy just pure combat and tactics.
Those games aren't combat and tactics. Men of War is combat and tactics. Those games are rock paper scissors, micro, and build orders. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not interesting or deep enough to hold my interest.
But Halo Wars isn't just doing a bad job holding your interest, its downright insulting?
Yes, but as I said above it's more the reception that's insulting. It's insulting that a game like Halo Wars can exist, not only be made by a great Ensemble Studios but be their final farewell, and that there are critics that can give it an 8.4 with a straight face. The world is a wrong, worrying, and downright insulting place.
ok for a console RTS it was pretty dam good. That being said i think if they would of made it for the PC and 360 it would have done alot better.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
They forgot to put the part at the end saying "Around 1 Million People play Halo: Reach for 12 hours straight"

Lol.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
zwober said:
id say you missed one date. "the offical day halo was stolen from the PC"..
yeah, im still a bit bitter about that.

*grumble*
It was never stolen from the PC it was SUPPOSED to be made for Mac. They announced it at a mac conference and the original director used to develope games for mac! I dont know where people get this stupid PC thing from.

zwober

Nov 20, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
zwober said:

*grumble*
It was never stolen from the PC it was SUPPOSED to be made for Mac. They announced it at a mac conference and the original director used to develope games for mac! I dont know where people get this stupid PC thing from.
for me it was mostly from pc-news magazines as pcgamer i think, so im guessing thats why one alwasy assumed it would be for the pc aswell. not to be rude to the mac´s but if it could run on that - it would run on anything. and it kinda did, i guess. my memory is a bit fuzzy, but was there a Mac-port for the first or second Halo ? - or did ms decide to keep it for Xbox/PC?

still, i remember the first gameplay/teaser vid i saw for Halo, and it really felt.. well, Starship troopers mixed with USC-Marines and a ton of fun. when i played the first halo and encounterd the little purple whack-heads, i was more then a bit dissapointed. out with the real-ness i felt from the first few vids - and enter some silly mechaturtle thing.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
zwober said:
Nikolaz72 said:
zwober said:

*grumble*
for me it was mostly from pc-news magazines as pcgamer i think, so im guessing thats why one alwasy assumed it would be for the pc aswell. not to be rude to the mac´s but if it could run on that - it would run on anything. and it kinda did, i guess. my memory is a bit fuzzy, but was there a Mac-port for the first or second Halo ? - or did ms decide to keep it for Xbox/PC?

still, i remember the first gameplay/teaser vid i saw for Halo, and it really felt.. well, Starship troopers mixed with USC-Marines and a ton of fun. when i played the first halo and encounterd the little purple whack-heads, i was more then a bit dissapointed. out with the real-ness i felt from the first few vids - and enter some silly mechaturtle thing.
The first video shown at the Mac Conference was to prove what you could do with the mac graphics back in the early year thousand switch and a couple of years before, what they put forward was amazing and did even beat the PC games in terms of graphics at the time of the demo. Bungie was making HALO for MAC but Microsoft bought them over to make games exclusively for Xbox AKA no PC at all. Its like MS killed two flies with a single swing. They delayed Videogames comming to mac by several years and they gained a new flagship for their comming console.

zwober

Nov 20, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
They delayed Videogames comming to mac by several years and they gained a new flagship for their comming console.
thats a bit odd tho, isint it ? having halo as a flagship might have been good for Mac, (i cant keep a straight face when writing mac - still feels as im supporting mothers against canada or something) but would halo itself be such a huge franchice today if MS didint buy it ?

what i mean is, even tho none of us may like it, the xbox would have been the key factor that helped spread Halo into this huge, well - Thing - that it is today. could it have done the same on a mac ? yes, a mac already has a player-base and fans supporting every thing that apple releases, but would it have been the same amount of money and love that Halo got through the Xbox in those first few years ?

May 23, 2010
ecoho said:
DazBurger said:
DazBurger said:
dogstile said:
dogstile said:
Insultingly simple? Pray tell, how does a game being simple insult you?
Ensemble has made some good RTS games. Between the lack of any real economy or diplomacy, nor a detailed combat system, it's simply quite dull. If it weren't for the production value, it's about as deep as a movie-based video game. It's like Microsoft expected the game to sell and do well with critics. The trully mindboggling thing is that it did.

In conclusion, I suppose that it isn't really the game that's insulting (although it is VERY sad that Halo Wars was Ensembles last farewall), but rather it's reception.
An RTS dont need economics nor diplomacy. Just look at the C&C games, Warcraft and Starcraft.
No Economics no diplomacy just pure combat and tactics.
Those games aren't combat and tactics. Men of War is combat and tactics. Those games are rock paper scissors, micro, and build orders. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not interesting or deep enough to hold my interest.
But Halo Wars isn't just doing a bad job holding your interest, its downright insulting?
Yes, but as I said above it's more the reception that's insulting. It's insulting that a game like Halo Wars can exist, not only be made by a great Ensemble Studios but be their final farewell, and that there are critics that can give it an 8.4 with a straight face. The world is a wrong, worrying, and downright insulting place.
ok for a console RTS it was pretty dam good. That being said i think if they would of made it for the PC and 360 it would have done alot better.
I find that lowering your standards so that something passes them is never a good idea.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
zwober said:
Nikolaz72 said:
They delayed Videogames comming to mac by several years and they gained a new flagship for their comming console.
thats a bit odd tho, isint it ? having halo as a flagship might have been good for Mac, (i cant keep a straight face when writing mac - still feels as im supporting mothers against canada or something) but would halo itself be such a huge franchice today if MS didint buy it ?

what i mean is, even tho none of us may like it, the xbox would have been the key factor that helped spread Halo into this huge, well - Thing - that it is today. could it have done the same on a mac ? yes, a mac already has a player-base and fans supporting every thing that apple releases, but would it have been the same amount of money and love that Halo got through the Xbox in those first few years ?
Now this is an interresting subject. Going back to change history. But lets look at the facts shall we, Bungie's reason for joining MS in the first place was as you said. Its their best chance to get big. Im just saying that the original plan was to prove that the Mac could be a gaming platform too and the leader/former leader of bungies original hobby was to transfer games from PC to mac alone or with a small group. I believe the reason he left is because microsoft ended up owning bungie more than he did?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
zwober said:
Nikolaz72 said:

Believe me, I went to an alternate universe where Halo was only released for Mac. Everybody I mentioned Halo to said, "What's Halo? Oh that shooter that nobody really bought because the majority of video and computer game players play games on PCs and consoles only."

That sums up my thoughts on the whole stolen from Mac thing about Halo.

My friend's sister got a Mac, because her college made one of the stupidest moves a college could make, it became a Mac only college. That was the worst piece of technology that I have ever tried to mess with. My friend had me help his sister install software on it. The worst design piece of crap I have ever seen. Tried to stall some kind of word processing software on it:
Me: Clicked the button to install.
Mac: Are you sure you want to install?
Me: Yes
Me: Yeeessss
Me: No I want you to make me coffee and a muffin!
Mac: Installing.

It had the stupidest set up for the CD drive. It was on the right side, but the button used to eject the disc was on the other side of the machine just above the keyboard. And the thing isn't even labeled eject. Took three minutes of mashing buttons on the thing before I hit the right one.

My laptop PC lasted me for 4 years before there was some problem with it that involved the battery, no other problems before that. My friend's sister's Mac lasted just barely a year, before it caved in on itself with some kind of catastrophic failure, and had to be taken back to the store that she got it from to be fixed, which was almost expensive enough that she would have been better off buying a new one, or the smart thing to do, spend the repair money on getting a laptop PC that would actually be reliable. I've known several other people that have had Macs and all my computers life spans have out paced theirs.

My first Desktop PC lasted at least 11 years, I believe I got it when I was 11 as a hand-me down from my brother. And over those years I made tweeks to it like finally up grading to XP and adding a good graphics card and RAM. It took it eleven years to encounter a virus that beat my anti-virus and destroyed the system, whatever it was totally fried the hard drive. The laptop I had for three years at the end of the Desktop's life, and one year after. I decided not to mess with the problem my laptop had, and just got a new Desktop about couple years ago. Sometime soon I will get a new laptop with Windows 7. My problem is that by the time I get the money to do that, Windows 7 will be obsolete. Every time I get a new computer, it is usually a year before the next one comes out.

Okay off track rant is over.

---
Yeah, if Halo was released on only Mac, there probably would have only been one game, and it would have been forgotten about.