Halp. Ponies.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
necromanzer52 said:
chadachada123 said:
necromanzer52 said:
And while it had a few funny jokes, I mostly found the characters to be annoying, and the plot lines to be stupid, cliche, and predictable. So I gave up on it.
It certainly isn't for everyone, but I'm wondering about your statement on plot lines. Compared to an actual little girl's show, I thought the plot lines diverted pretty far from the norm. Most shows for girls tend to do the "someone is upset, let's all hug out our differences" bullshit, while MLP actually uses advice, advice good for people of all ages. Even for the major villians, most shows for girls tend to use the "use happiness and the bad guy won't hurt you" crap while MLP encourages actually talking shit out.

Cliche, sure, but it's almost like a parody more than a cliche with how often MLP totally switches the direction the episode appeared to be going in.

I'm not disagreeing with you objectively, I'm just wondering what your thoughts on it are, if you remember enough about the plots and want to discuss it.
Ok, I'll try not to go off on a rant. Most of the plots seemed to revolve around one or more of the ponies deciding to be a massive ***** for no real reason, and they spend the episode doing that, and at the end they learn a lesson, and decide to be nicer to each other from now on. And then what do they do in the next episode? They start being bitchy again, and learn another lesson.

The one that sticks out most in my mind is the sleepover episode, but I'm sure there were more. It just always seemed to go against character, and created problems for no reason other than to learn a moral at the end.

Now, to be fair, there was one episode I liked (winter wrap up). This episode didn't create antagonism, or previously unmentioned character attributes out of nowhere, and instead focused on Twilight's search for where she fits in, as the new pony, when everyone else already knows where they're most needed.
(I'm pretty sure EVERYONE hates the sleepover episode, ugh).

When you put it that way, yeah, I can concede that the premise is a bit silly for most episodes. To be fair, the whole first season is set up around discovering truths about friendship, so it kind of HAS to reset every episode, at least for the beginning. Otherwise they'd have to introduce a new character every episode or otherwise use tricks in order to set up the "lesson" of the episode. Even then, most of the problems are things that the character themselves would probably do, an example being the episode Sonic Rainboom, where:

Rarity becomes a giant show-boating attention whore, very fitting with her personality.

True fact: The creator, Lauren Faust, wanted to have each episode build upon previous ones, with a bigger adventure and full character development and everything, but Hasbro forced her to make every episode self-contained.

But yeah, I can get now why it wouldn't be someone's cup of tea in that respect. Then again, you could say the same exact thing about Family Guy or practically any other non-anime cartoon.

And again, I don't want to drag you into some argument or anything like that, I'm just interested in hearing other peoples' reasoning and detailing my own.

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
hittite said:
Gooble gobble gooble gobble.
We accept him, one of us!

Heh, just playin' with ya.

Anyway, how I got into the show is simple.
This. This right here.
The Escapist had a news post with this in it. I didn't have anything going on, so I watched it. And then at 1:26 a rainbow pegasus kicked a dragon in the face. From that point on, I didn't even try to fight it.

And silly OP, that's not how you spell Fluttershy.
This is exactly how it happened to me. Then I watched the first episode, then the second episode, and now I am up to date with the entire series.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
WaitWHAT said:
wombat_of_war said:
NearLifeExperience said:
TwiZtah said:
major_chaos said:
Thank you all for your wonderful contributions to the thread. I honestly can't think of anything that adds more to a thread than just showing up and flaming OP for having the "wrong" opinion. I just hope the moderators found it as touching as I did.
Honestly, having a chip on your shoulder doesn't help.

I thought it was quite obvious the first two that you quoted were light hearted.

The third one doesn't criticise the them for liking it, they criticise idea of somebody calling themselves a brony. So they were not "flaming" the OP for anything.

The fourth one was needlessly aggressive, but they watched the show and gave their opinion. Again, they didn't say the OP shouldn't like it, they just said that they didn't.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Dangit2019 said:
btw Twilight Sparkle is by far the best pony. Deal with it.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha no

On topic, I had no idea that Friendship is Magic existed until the day I watched it.

Someone on a forum I frequent posted some kind of pony response video. Since it was summer vacation and I had nothing better to do I sat down and watched all of the season 1 episodes in that same day. I was hooked from the start.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I discovered ponies many eons ago, through this very website. It was on a forum not quite so different from this one.

Back then the magic had not been so lost. The children played on the fresh green grass, And the elders huddled around the porch smoking and sharing all of their old war stories.

I don't know where the fuck I was going with that. season 1 ep 13.

ubersyanyde

Dec 9, 2011
Dangit2019 said:
My pony fandom started the same way as your's and at nearly the same time. It's impossible to stop watching! I think I spent 2 solid days watching all the episodes, then season 3 started a week or so later. I just cant get enough.

And I think you'll find Applejack is best pony.

Dat accent.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
WaitWHAT said:
Legion said:
Honestly, having a chip on your shoulder doesn't help.

I thought it was quite obvious the first two that you quoted were light hearted.

The third one doesn't criticise the them for liking it, they criticise idea of somebody calling themselves a brony. So they were not "flaming" the OP for anything.

The fourth one was needlessly aggressive, but they watched the show and gave their opinion. Again, they didn't say the OP shouldn't like it, they just said that they didn't.
Those posts were 100% content-free. Whether you think they were offensive or not, they didn't add anything. They were just "HURR URR, I HAET DA PONIEZ!". There's no place for that here. If bronies went into another, non-pony thread and posted "HURR URR, NEEDZ MOAR PONIEZ!" they'd get fried and banned, and rightly so. If people want to be a dick and contribute nothing, they can do it elsewhere.
I do not disagree that they were content free, not relevant to what the OP was asking, and therefore should not be a part of the topic. It does get quite irritating when people join topics and do not contribute or go against what the OP made the thread about.

You are, however, completely wrong to suggest that you'd get fried/banned for doing it on other non-pony threads. Going off-topic is not something people ever get into trouble for on this site, although it is not really allowed. In fact one of our most famous users is famous for doing precisely that. People will get in trouble for low content posts (based upon word count as opposed to discussion value) but posting against the spirit of a thread is not something people get infractions for.

If you do not believe me, then by all means wait and see if they get in any trouble for it, because I guarantee that they won't.

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
Ah, now this is quite the tale. It's long, but if you wanna read, go right ahead. Long ago, I saw a thread here that said "What's with all the ponies?" At the time, I wanted to know the same thing. What the fuck was going on with all the My Little Pony stuff? So I looked at the thread to satisfy my curiosity. It was there that I saw the "challenge." It was that after watching the first 3 episodes, you're hooked. So for the hell of it, I watched the first episode. I said to myself: "I think I can actually see something here... I probably shouldn't watch the other two, lest the warning be true." So I didn't. Skip ahead to the end of the summer. Now, I like to listen to music while I sleep sometimes, but classical music, oh no, I mean hardcore shit. And hey, it was summer, I wasn't going to school, I had no need to wake up early. So I listen to music on my ipod. However, because of problem X Y and Z, I use the youtube app to search for songs I wanna listen to. So I was listening to Blood Sugar by Pendulum. The photo used in the video is a photo of Haruhi Suzumiya. At that particular time, I was seeing quite a bit of Haruhi around online. So, I decided to see what the anime was about. I watch the first episode. 2 seasons and a 2.5 hour long movie later (all seen on my ipod at night and early morning in bed), I realize there's nothing more to watch. However, I liked the habit of just watching shows in bed. So I thought to myself: "What other shows do I know of that I can watch and never saw before?" And I thought RIGHT back to that thread on the escapist so long ago. I decided to give it a shot, target demographic aside! Next thing I knew, I was trying to find out when season 3 would start and couldn't stop seeing damn rainbows in my sleep. Thank fuck that stopped...

Anyway, I wouldn't consider myself a brony, per se, but I do see the merits of the show and I do appreciate it. I don't really have an opinion of the "best pony" crap I'm seeing, but I will say this... Pinkie Pie: breaks the laws of reality/physics/everything as easily as breathing.

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
Meh, I wacthed the first episodes but didn't like them that much. They're entertaining, but not enough for me to want to watch them. Don't mind people who like them, though. I don't get why all the brony hate, just like I don't get why there are so many people into ponies too much. i enjoy the jokes about it, though, and I definitely prefer the thought of children, men and women watching this cartoon, instead of so many other horrible cartoons I see going on TV nowadays (and remember to get off my lawn, you damn youngsters!). Yes, I realize I sound like an old man complaining about the new cartoons, but I also don't care. I think their animation, drawing style, voice actors, concept and story are all a pile of crap, regardless. At least I gotta say that MLP has a nice style, is well animated (by my standards, so don't bother trying to tell me "OMG THEY SUX! I'M SO PRO AT ANIMATING I CAN DO AN ENTIRE SHOW IN MY SLEEP!"), have good enough stories, and show way better characters than other famous series (cough-Twilight-cough).
I guess bottomline would be: It's ok to like it. Just don't be a dick about it. :D

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
UltraXan said:
I don't really have an opinion of the "best pony" crap I'm seeing, but I will say this... Pinkie Pie: breaks the laws of reality/physics/everything as easily as breathing.
Pinkamena is best Pie. Ain't even apologising for how wrong you are, sir or madam.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
chadachada123 said:
necromanzer52 said:
And while it had a few funny jokes, I mostly found the characters to be annoying, and the plot lines to be stupid, cliche, and predictable. So I gave up on it.
It certainly isn't for everyone, but I'm wondering about your statement on plot lines. Compared to an actual little girl's show, I thought the plot lines diverted pretty far from the norm. Most shows for girls tend to do the "someone is upset, let's all hug out our differences" bullshit, while MLP actually uses advice, advice good for people of all ages. Even for the major villians, most shows for girls tend to use the "use happiness and the bad guy won't hurt you" crap while MLP encourages actually talking shit out.

Cliche, sure, but it's almost like a parody more than a cliche with how often MLP totally switches the direction the episode appeared to be going in.

I'm not disagreeing with you objectively, I'm just wondering what your thoughts on it are, if you remember enough about the plots and want to discuss it.
"Compared to an actual little girl's show"

That is the statement that jumps out at me. If you say that you don't think it's that grate of a show people say "It's for kids." And If you say it's for kids. You get attacked on all sides for saying it's for kids. Look I find it to be a fine show for kids, but I don't think it's a good show if you are over the age of 12. Look I think it fine for what it is but I don't think it's anything more then what it is.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Dangit2019 said:
btw Twilight Sparkle is by far the best pony. Deal with it.
Good sir, I do believe that you are incorrect and that the best pony is clearly Pinkie Pie.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
My first sighting was when Scott Ramsoomair (VG Cats) recommended the show. I didn't think much of it, but it sorta stuck in my mind.

After increasing mentions of the herd I watched the first episode with an attitude of "FINE I'LL WATCH IT."
At the end of the first episode, the second one in the related videos caught my eye. "...Well, shit."

Over the next month I watched the full first season, just a couple weeks ahead of season 2. And ponies have run through my veins ever since.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Guys, I need someone to tell me where to get the music from this video.

<youtube=YdZa2phzWe8>

Why do I need it? Uh... reasons... (innocently removes hand from PrtSc key)

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I watched one episode and it was just terrible. Everyone knows this cartoon is superior: