Han Solo Joins Ender's Game Cast

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I'm pretty excited about that. I hope that Ender's Game: The Movie will be nearly as good as the book was.

Also, I can't wait for the simulation battles. :3

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
Xanthious said:
vansau said:
Nouw said:
There's going to be an Ender Game film? This better be good, it's a fantastic book. The casting of Harrison Ford can only make this better.
Too bad all the sequels Card wrote were awful.
I beg to differ! Ender's Shadow was head and shoulders better than Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead was a solid book in it's own right.

That being said, the role I'm really curious about is who will be playing Bean. He's just as important, or possibly even more important, than Ender is in the series.
I think you are flat out wrong about Ender's Shadow being a better story than Ender's Game. However I loved all the books in both series, but I've read Ender's Game more times than I can count.

Aside from that, I can't say who I'd like to see portraying some of my favorite characters. I do know however that Ridley Scott would have been PERFECT for this film. I think he hates CG/green screen as much as Orson does. Gavin Hood directing this just makes me nervous.

I like Dakota for Valentine, I'm sure they could make her look a little younger. Maybe Saoirse Ronan?

Either way super excited, this movie (in my opinion) is an easy one to mess up. Orson is so good with the human condition, I think it would take a director as apt as he is to make it all work. Unfortunately I don't see the man that brought us X-men Origins as being that person. Who knows.

jaykikass

Nov 27, 2009
If this is not as good as the book in every way, i am going to have to kill something..

jaykikass

Nov 27, 2009
If this is not as good as the book in every way, i am going to have to kill something..

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
Can't believe I'm finally going to see Enders Game in action. Kudos on getting Ford and Ben Kingsley on board. Can't wait

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
I know that it would never happen, but it would be amazing if a movie version of "Ender's Shadow" was filmed at the same time, so that the actors wouldn't grow up too much. It would allow footage from "Game" to be seamlessly incorporated into "Shadow", just as it should be.

[Off-topic: does anyone know if other books have been written in the behind-the-scenes style of "Ender's Shadow"?]

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
So I have ORson Scott Card to thank for the incessant stream of Child Soldier animes? Good to know.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
hermes200 said:
Singularly Datarific said:
I'd always figured that they never made a movie because it's hard to make a scene with naked children murdering each other that without enraging Republican America...
This.

Although the scene can be changed a little (forget about the naked), the core of the problem is the same. Despite being in the single digits of age, most of the characters in the book are ruthless (The Wire level ruthless). To be somehow faithful, the movie has to be a NC-17 or R rated movie starred by small kids. I don't know how they can make it without some eyebrows rising...
THIS

How the frick can you even begin to untangle this, the shower scene can be re-jigged a little I guess but I have a horrible feeling it will be dialed down a little to make it palatable...and the intensity and rawness is what makes Ender work - If they do, and do it right, it would be a fantastic film...but I think the problem is Enders Game the book has a different target audience, more niche, then perhaps a mainstream Hollywood movie can go for...so it will be edited changed around...ruined...I could be wrong - I really, really, hope I am and that they stay true to the source material and produce an uncompromising film, anyone see that happening?

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Mr Somewhere said:
Marmooset said:
Nouw said:
it's a fantastic book.
Mr Somewhere said:
The less this world has of Orson Scott Card the better. He's quite a detestable personality.
Strangely enough, both true (especially since they're both opinions). He's kind of the Mel Gibson of science fiction.
If you really want to be annoyed with him, read the first book in the Empire series. America is menaced by violent, organized, well-funded technohippies. It seems like an official government broadcast defending action against the OWS.
Oh, I'm not going to debate the quality of Ender's Game, but, that man. It's at the stage where he has become a parody of himself. I simply can no longer separate the work and the person. A very similar thing happened with the creator of Earthworm Jim; Doug TenNapel. I read a few of his comics, really enjoyed them, though, I found they were occasionally plagued by some negligible philosophies. Then, I discovered the kinds of things TenNapel believed. I can no longer enjoy his work.
And I had the same thing with Dave Sim of Cerebus the Aardvark fame. There's a series that started silly, got fabulous, and descended into utter tedium as its author went quietly nuts. Such a shame.

Back on topic, I'm excited but if they don't fuck it up I'll eat my hat, balaclava and rather stylish earmuffs.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
sniddy said:
How the frick can you even begin to untangle this, the shower scene can be re-jigged a little I guess but I have a horrible feeling it will be dialed down a little to make it palatable...and the intensity and rawness is what makes Ender work - If they do, and do it right, it would be a fantastic film...but I think the problem is Enders Game the book has a different target audience, more niche, then perhaps a mainstream Hollywood movie can go for...so it will be edited changed around...ruined...I could be wrong - I really, really, hope I am and that they stay true to the source material and produce an uncompromising film, anyone see that happening?
It can be done - eg Kick Ass. With such an iconic book they can easily argue their case.

I fantasised about how I'd adapt this book a while back and I thought the most effective method would be to conflate the three sections into one. That is, I'd merge the Stilson and Bonzo stories into a single conflict, and introduce the real-life war against the Buggers seamlessly as part of the training, rather than finishing Battle School and sending them off to the asteroid. Reluctantly, I'd be tempted to remove the Fantasy Game altogether, although I suspect that would be a step too far! It's a very rich book and I think it would be hard to do justice to everything in a 2-hour movie.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
laserwulf said:
I know that it would never happen, but it would be amazing if a movie version of "Ender's Shadow" was filmed at the same time, so that the actors wouldn't grow up too much. It would allow footage from "Game" to be seamlessly incorporated into "Shadow", just as it should be.

[Off-topic: does anyone know if other books have been written in the behind-the-scenes style of "Ender's Shadow"?]
A cheat answer of sorts, but there's the play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard, which follows two relatively minor characters through the plot of Hamlet. That's the one that springs most obviously to mind. And an even more cheat answer is the Thursday Next series of books by Jasper fforde, starting with The Eyre Affair.