Hands-On: Homefront Multiplayer

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
John Funk said:
HK_01 said:
Even if this game turns out to technically be the best shooter ever, I think I would still be unable to play it without constantly facepalming at the very idea of North Korea invading the United States. That or I just giggle all the time while playing it.
To its credit, the game sets it up plausibly. It isn't just the single country of North Korea that's invading, it's the entire "Greater Korean Republic," i.e. North Korea which has conquered much of eastern Asia, like Japan circa World War II. And the America of 2026 has been badly crippled economically and resource-wise. So while the idea itself is laughable, they sell it well, if that makes sense.
The very idea of North Korea beating South Korea seems implausible to me, let alone Japan. And I really doubt China and Russia would just sit there and watch, they'd probably crush NK if it did anything dumb.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
GLo Jones said:
As a "multiplayer is everything to me" guy, this (and Brink) has me very excited.
Im positive there are way too many FPS games out these days, but Brink and Homefront do seem like they will stand out. I cant wait to try the MP on these. Dibs on the Tank...

...Wait, I dont have to fight for it, I can purchase it for my own use?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
HK_01 said:
John Funk said:
HK_01 said:
Even if this game turns out to technically be the best shooter ever, I think I would still be unable to play it without constantly facepalming at the very idea of North Korea invading the United States. That or I just giggle all the time while playing it.
To its credit, the game sets it up plausibly. It isn't just the single country of North Korea that's invading, it's the entire "Greater Korean Republic," i.e. North Korea which has conquered much of eastern Asia, like Japan circa World War II. And the America of 2026 has been badly crippled economically and resource-wise. So while the idea itself is laughable, they sell it well, if that makes sense.
Even the idea of North Korea beating South Korea seems implausible to me, let alone Japan. And I really doubt China and Russia would just sit there and watch, they'd probably crush NK if it did anything dumb.
In the words of MST3K:

"Just repeat to yourself, it's just a game, I should really just relax." ;)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Autofaux said:
Another credit unlock system for weapons? Really?

*sigh* as long as it isn't as simplistically implemented as Black Ops.
No, you unlock new gear as you level up normally. The credits are an in-game thing and do not persist between rounds.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
This is the first I've heard about this game, and it really excites me. I'm right now happily married to Halo Reach (I'll probably go back to MW2 once in a while, Black Ops just isn't doing it for me), but this looks like something really fun. I could never get into the Battlefield games, but this sounds awesome and that Battle Commander sounds like a ton of fun. At the very least this will be an awesome rental.

WanderingFool said:
GLo Jones said:
As a "multiplayer is everything to me" guy, this (and Brink) has me very excited.
Im positive there are way too many FPS games out these days, but Brink and Homefront do seem like they will stand out. I cant wait to try the MP on these. Dibs on the Tank...

...Wait, I dont have to fight for it, I can purchase it for my own use?

I've never heard of Bring either. Should I look more into this Brink?

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Good to see a shooter reward different play styles. My top two classes in TF2 are engineer and medic, so I'd be all over those drones

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
I've always supported the in-game funds staying only in a single round/game, it always performed really well in my opinion, similar to Counter-Strike. One thing I'm curious about though, what are the scale of the multiplayer maps (If there was more than one)? Are they something similar to MAG? Medium size like Bad Company 2? Or the large maps like Battlefield 2?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
WanderFreak said:
Wait, so... the spiritual follow-up to Freedom Fighters actually might be... awesome?

Well this is just--oh dear I seem to have soiled myself in anticipation.

WANT! WANT NOW! YOU GIVE ME!
I wouldnt call it a spiritual follow-up to Freedom Fighters, it is kind of a new take on Frontlines: Fuel of War, the studio is the same. The main diference is the story and some tweaks like these two systems. In terms of multiplayer you will probably feel a Frontlines: Fuel of War vibe.

Frontlines didnt sell so well, this one probably will.
But yeah, if you are into beeing a rebel in the USA fighting for your freedom then you will probably like this game.

Freedom Fighters was a really good game too, the split screen multiplayer was fun and fresh.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
HK_01 said:
John Funk said:
HK_01 said:
The very idea of North Korea beating South Korea seems implausible to me, let alone Japan. And I really doubt China and Russia would just sit there and watch, they'd probably crush NK if it did anything dumb.
I think they take over SK by assassinating their leader, or something. And then they all give up because writers are expensive, and all the budget went to the gameplay because NK has mind controlling genies, but (like Vampires) they can't cross water, which is why they didn't use them on America as well. This also explains why many US allies don't join in.

Britain is probably busy fighting the dragons NK has been breeding for decades, and Canada is being suppressed by Genetically altered Mega-bears. Australia is already full of dangerous animals, so NK just had to double their size. They must have run out of magic juice, and had to invade the US by normal means. With enough Space Wizards, it could be done.

See, it's possible, you just have to read between the lines.

Lines of cocaine, maybe...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
HK_01 said:
John Funk said:
HK_01 said:
I think they take over SK by assassinating their leader, or something. And then they all give up because writers are expensive, and all the budget went to the gameplay because NK has mind controlling genies, but (like Vampires) they can't cross water, which is why they didn't use them on America as well. This also explains why many US allies don't join in.

Britain is probably busy fighting the dragons NK has been breeding for decades, and Canada is being suppressed by Genetically altered Mega-bears. Australia is already full of dangerous animals, so NK just had to double their size. They must have run out of magic juice, and had to invade the US by normal means. With enough Space Wizards, it could be done.

See, it's possible, you just have to read between the lines.

Lines of cocaine, maybe...

Annoying clapping hands aside, good to see you liked it! I'll give it a rent, the game feels like Terminator 4 which is kinda meh.

A sequel? I have a feeling China is going to get involved >.>

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
WanderFreak said:
Wait, so... the spiritual follow-up to Freedom Fighters actually might be... awesome?

Well this is just--oh dear I seem to have soiled myself in anticipation.

WANT! WANT NOW! YOU GIVE ME!
Freedom Fighters was awesome, wasn't it?

Io needs to stop dicking around with Kane and Lynch and give us a true sequel to FF...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
ranger19 said:
Should I look more into this Brink?
I would look up some gameplay videos. It miht not b your thing, but it does have some interesting features, specially the SMART button.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Multiplayer isn't really my bread-n-butter, but this is interesting enough to add to the anticipation I already had for the single-player game.

Man... Homefront, Brink, Dead Space 2, Duke Nukem Forever... come on, guys, I'm trying to save up to replace my car!

[small](Well, it's winter, I can put up with that screwed-up driver's-side window a little longer....)[/small]

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
This is cool, it sounds like a bit of Assassin's Creed Wanted mixed with Call of Duty's bag of tricks. I like it.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well this makes me even more interested. Rather than having to worry about getting a high killstreak (which is rare for me, I kill plenty of people but I usually don't do it in a row), I just get these BPs which I can aquire by helping my team mates. The whole "help your teamates, get rewarded" idea sounds nice too, rather than the "solo kill everything" spiel with MW2. And the star system also seems like a cool addition to the whole thing.

Ultimately I'll decide about the game when it comes out, as I'm worried it will be overhyped but this news makes me more confident in it.

As for the story, I have no problems with it. Sure its a little far-fetched but then so is some of the more interesting alt-history works. And America's creation is a bit far-fetched when you think about it as well anyway...

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
This preview definitely has me exited, but I'm curious to see what happens with the customization. BC2 is still my go-to multiplayer game, and part of the experience is playing with classes that are changed in-game. You don't just play your Medic class, you play the Medic class using every item. I don't know how Homefront's classes work, but I'm going to wait.