Harm Bunnies in Yahtzee's Newest Game

Keswick Gallagher

Jul 2, 2009
gyroc1 said:
snave said:
[...]
Yeah, I suspect the secret ending involves either not killing anything or sparing the bit-before-the-boss relevant monsters. Or maybe even just not trying saving your game in the dark room. In fact, Im pretty sure it has something to do with that area because the real final boss is the [...]]

Having said that, the story still makes utterly no sense because the first damaging monster you encounter immediately after falling down the hole (before meeting Rebecca) is a Dark One possessed rabbit.

The not saving hypothesis is broken because the game won't let you progress past the part until you save your game.

Furthermore, when saving Rebecca, you have to kill the 3 bunnies on near her in order to progress.
so that one guess about not killing any bunnies at all is ruled out.

Having beaten the game, I do not agree that the difficulty is comparable to I Wanna Be the Guy. It's closer to VVVVVV or a tamer Super Meat Boy.
ok I just replayed the game and got the Alternative ending....it's interesting and highly unexpected and VERY hard....

and yes the method is simply don't kill any blemmings, any of the white rabbits at the start of the game and don't shoot the grounds keeper when he challenges you to fisty cuffs

Diego Floor

Apr 4, 2011
BloodWriter said:
I'm now in the Abyss, trying to climb a dark cave piece by piece while Spirit Bombs are being thrown at me constantly and CRUELLY! This is... this is just more than skill, this is pure dumb luck and I for one don't have the patience to do this for more than 15 minutes... and when you die, welp! We'll send you back to the save point before the disgustingly unforgiving escape section.

I need a break.
Been there. I took a couple of days off and tried again, and succeeded :) This is the hardest part of the game. When you reach the next save spot rest assured that the worst is done.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Keswick Gallagher said:
gyroc1 said:
snave said:
[...]
Yeah, I suspect the secret ending involves either not killing anything or sparing the bit-before-the-boss relevant monsters. Or maybe even just not trying saving your game in the dark room. In fact, Im pretty sure it has something to do with that area because the real final boss is the [...]]

Having said that, the story still makes utterly no sense because the first damaging monster you encounter immediately after falling down the hole (before meeting Rebecca) is a Dark One possessed rabbit.

The not saving hypothesis is broken because the game won't let you progress past the part until you save your game.

Furthermore, when saving Rebecca, you have to kill the 3 bunnies on near her in order to progress.
so that one guess about not killing any bunnies at all is ruled out.

Having beaten the game, I do not agree that the difficulty is comparable to I Wanna Be the Guy. It's closer to VVVVVV or a tamer Super Meat Boy.
ok I just replayed the game and got the Alternative ending....it's interesting and highly unexpected and VERY hard....

and yes the method is simply don't kill any blemmings, any of the white rabbits at the start of the game and don't shoot the grounds keeper when he challenges you to fisty cuffs
He is really hard isn't he I was stuck on him for a day. But I second this is how you get the secret ending don't kill the blemmings, don't kill the white rabbits, you can shoot the grounds keeper but you have to let him hit you first. Once you do that have fun trying to beat the boss people :p

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Diego Floor said:
BloodWriter said:
I'm now in the Abyss, trying to climb a dark cave piece by piece while Spirit Bombs are being thrown at me constantly and CRUELLY! This is... this is just more than skill, this is pure dumb luck and I for one don't have the patience to do this for more than 15 minutes... and when you die, welp! We'll send you back to the save point before the disgustingly unforgiving escape section.

I need a break.
Been there. I took a couple of days off and tried again, and succeeded :) This is the hardest part of the game. When you reach the next save spot rest assured that the worst is done.
Indeed just take your time climbing and be reallly careful not to get hit. I will disagree this is not the hardest part of the game (that ending yes). Go get the secret ending then we'll talk.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
First, I just want to say: FIN-AL-LY! A challenging game! F-@#$%g hell, I can't believe I am actually getting frustrated by something, after all these years, and I've yet to show my new monitor some 'old-school lovin'', if you know what I mean.

As for the game, it's actually really good, It's very well designed and a lot of detail has been integrated into the sound and visual qualities (such as the shotgun sound, and the little splatter the rabbit giblets make when they hit the ground). I am half-way through it, and I must say that's its quite interesting, not only terms of challenges and gameplay, but also the story is well-told.

But here are some aspects of the game, that I personally think should, or might've been, improved:

Make an abillity-equip menu - Having to go backtrack all the way to a village or somewhere around the map where there's a shop (and considering there are about, like, three in the whole game) every time you want to switch an ability is quite tedious and unintuitive. For example, if you reach a boss fight (which tend to pop-up quite unexpectedly, most of the time) and you find yourself stuck with
the shield ability, or something of the sort, especially
in that water-boss fight, then you're basically screwed, aren't you? And having to go back through all the arduouss levels up to that point, and back again is definitely not something you would consider doing. I understand that you can't have all your abilities equiped, not only because of the technical problems, but because it will vastly unbalance the game; but this could've easily been countered by making a menu from which to select your abilities. Hell, you don't even have to make a separate menu for that, the 'Quit?' screen would've made a perfect template.

Skippable cutscenes - This isn't a major problem, but every time you die, in either a boss fight, or before a major plot point, where your adorable ghost-friend explains certain aspects or whatever, you have to go through their dialogue, skipping it one by one every single time, and that really breaks the flow. Especially when you're teeth are at breaking point, because you've failed to beat a boss fight for the umpteenth time, and it just adds another layer of frustration to your typical gamer's feeble and easily-irritated mind. But as I said, that's not quite a big deal, and there are easy solutions to this. I.e. make safe points after the dialogue, or just make a button that skips it all.

Respawning badies - Now, I understand that for grinding reasons, you need to have respawning enemies that drop coins all the time, but surely them respawning after a mere switch of local is a bit of a.. *****? Why not make them respawn every time you load a save, or something of the sort, and not have to worry about those 'cheeky, low-flying bats' when you're returning to the blue-peeps' village.

Lastly, there are some glitches with the shotgun from time to time - it doesn't hit enemies at certain points - but that doesn't happen too often to be a big issue. Also, with Derek getting stuck in the scenery, as well (especially in the unterwater levels).

But, yeah, overall it's a great expirience, and I love playing it. Level design is awesome, sound effects are great, puzzles are challenging and satisfying, story line is top notch, and I can't wait to see it through to the end! :)

snave

Nov 10, 2009
If the worms kill the purple chaps in the library, does that count against you?

Edit: No, it does not. Worth keeping in mind when you go for the left mechanism.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Why can't i customise the controls ?
Have you ever seen a keyboard with german layout, no ?

Let me show you something:

[http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=kopievonzwischenablaggcc2z.jpg]

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I'm stuck at around 20% at the first big section with dropping platforms and spiked floors. With only 4 pudding-healthbars - oh sure, you learn to wall-jump at the end of it, but getting to a save-spot to get yoru health back... damn near impossible

Could at the very least have added a safe-to-access save point right after you learn to wall jump. Really

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
A new version [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/sites/escapistmagazine/games/yahtzee/poacher_installer.exe] with some fixes/changes has been uploaded.

Here's what the Readme file has to say!

VERSION CHANGES (1.1)

FIXES
- Fixed glitch/exploit caused by inching off the right edge of a room
- Fixed grenade bugs
- Tweaked the difficulty a wee bit in one of the library sections
- Tweaked bouncing skull behaviour
- Fixed issue with getting stuck when oil pours on you
- Some minor graphical tile fixes

NEW FEATURES
- Added achievements! There are 20 in total to unlock, and after completing your first playthrough, the ones you have yet to find will appear on the title screen.
- Customisable controls! You can now change the default controls (below) by editing the controls.txt file in the game folder. Simply follow the instructions in that file.
- Optional easy mode by popular demand! Shoot the Easy Mode switch at the start of the game to start with 5 health. Maximum health is still 12 so two health pickups elsewhere in the game will disappear. The drop rate of enemies is also increased.

Please note that saved games from the previous version cannot be used in the new one.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
A game that manages to be both boring and frustrating with very little in-between. I quit during the library level.

It's 2012, computers are insanely powerful, there's the internet and all sorts of technology and all Yahtzee can come up with is an unremarkable platform game.

Platformers like Atomic Butcher or Eversion are much more creative and enjoyable than this. Pass.

Diego Floor

Apr 4, 2011
Kross said:
A new version [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/sites/escapistmagazine/games/yahtzee/poacher_installer.exe] with some fixes/changes has been uploaded.

Here's what the Readme file has to say!

VERSION CHANGES (1.1)

FIXES
- Fixed glitch/exploit caused by inching off the right edge of a room
- Fixed grenade bugs
- Tweaked the difficulty a wee bit in one of the library sections
- Tweaked bouncing skull behaviour
- Fixed issue with getting stuck when oil pours on you
- Some minor graphical tile fixes

NEW FEATURES
- Added achievements! There are 20 in total to unlock, and after completing your first playthrough, the ones you have yet to find will appear on the title screen.
- Customisable controls! You can now change the default controls (below) by editing the controls.txt file in the game folder. Simply follow the instructions in that file.
- Optional easy mode by popular demand! Shoot the Easy Mode switch at the start of the game to start with 5 health. Maximum health is still 12 so two health pickups elsewhere in the game will disappear. The drop rate of enemies is also increased.

Please note that saved games from the previous version cannot be used in the new one.
Hey! that's great :D

Lejsen

Mar 2, 2011
It's lovely, but it's hard. I don't mind hard but without frequent checkpoints hard becomes annoying repetition.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
Small issue. I get through the set up complete screen then nothing happens. I've tried to install it twice but nothing.

Fixes?

Using XP

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Downloading...downloading...I'll edit this when I actually start playing it, though I can't wait to see the joke reviews tear it apart.

Eldiran

Jan 10, 2009
Hey, haven't read the previous posts, but I wanted to quickly mention some problems.

I'm enjoying the game thus far, but I ran into some mistakes with the 1st boss, the giant rabbit.

My first complaint is about bad design: when the rabbit dies and starts overflowing with coins, it can still hurt you. This is bad, because a player's first idea is to jump toward to source of the coins, and it runs contrary to any other game with a similar situation.

My second complaint is a bug report: once you kill the giant rabbit, the dialog starts immediately, regardless of how many small rabbits have spawned. These can still hurt you while in dialog.

In my case, it knocked me out of the screen into the save point area, and the dialog ended instantly leaving me stuck with no ability to move or do anything.

I want to like this game, but running into these kinds of problems so early on (and in quick succession) is a bit foreboding and discouraging.

Diego Floor

Apr 4, 2011
I've replayed the game to get the other ending. I'm still at the boss though. Since I criticized so much the artificial difficulty I thought I'd mention that this is not the case at this boss! I mean, it's HARD but the good kind, the kind with patterns. OK, it is a bit LONG.. it seems endless, actually. But still, it's the right kind of difficult, I don't feel frustrated because 'there was no way I could foresee that shot' every time I die it was my fault.