Has a game ever made your cry?

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
My eyes moistened at the end of Red Dead Redemption; the magnificence of the soundtrack was a big help in that regard.

But I don't recall ever actually crying because of a game; movies, yes, books, yes, real life, yes. But games have never quite pulled it off for me.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Y'know, if you really just wanted an answer to that question, you could find the 50 previous threads with the exact same topic.

But to actually answer your question: No.

A few have almost managed to make my eyeballs moist, but no tears have ever been shed. I will cry like a baby at books and movies, but games are yet to reach anything near the that standard.

EDIT:
MiracleOfSound said:
ICO - again- the ending. The story was very beautifully told.
Credit where it's due, that was one of the few that came close.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Yes, and I'm not ashamed.
I baw'd like mad at the end of Shadow Hearts: Covenant.
Odin Sphere as well, though I half expected what happened to occur anyhow.

Also cried at the end of MGS4, but then I got pissed and felt robbed by the "real" ending.

A few tears escaped at the end of inFamous 2 & LA Noire as well.

...okay I'm a crybaby, SHUTUP.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Several of the "Thousand Years of Dreams" short story segments in Lost Odyssey brought me to tears and I am in no way ashamed to admit it. The ending was pretty close to a full gut-punch, prepped and ready to make me break down and cry, but then it pulled the punch with a last minute plot twist and deadened the emotional impact.

The unexpectedly happy ending (if you get the "good" ending) in Bioshock also stirred some tears.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Bioshock good ending.

Seeing the Little sisters and main character grow older made me shed thousands of tears.

Dunkerloop

Aug 8, 2011
The end of Mother 3 Got me pretty darn close. Especially when (Not gonna say they're name due to spoilers) dies.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Red Dead Redemption. 'nuff said.

There are a lot of sad stories in video games and movies, but never before have I seen such amazingly well characterized and sympathetic characters go through the same.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Rarely do I full out cry, but I have been misty eyed and emotionally touched by a few games-

Lunar
Grandia
Xenogears
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 9

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
The end of Crisis Core...I mean, come on that was uncalled for!
Oh yeah and the ending of Heavy rain
where if you fuck up the kid dies...yeah

crowley333

Sep 30, 2010
I haven't played any games that have literally moved me to tears, but there were a couple that came close.

Mass Effect: On my first playthrough, having to choose who to sacrifice on Virmire. I had fallen into the unfortunate meta-game trap of assuming all companions were invincible. Plus, both choices were my "go-to" squad up to that point.

Advent Rising: At two points, Gideon lost an important person. Each time it happened, it hit me about as hard as it hit him. Damn, that was a good game.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Heavy Rain
I don't know if it was because Ethan was shot in front of his son,or if it was because the controller decided to fuck me over in the QTE preceding that,but that was the first time a game nearly made me cry. I still swear out Sony's Sixaxis to this day because of that.

BlueKunai

Dec 30, 2010
I remember playing "Klonoa: Door to Phantomile" when I was 10-11. The ending to that game got me pretty good.
Also a certain level set in Super Meat Boy had me close to tears of frustration. Unlocking the Kid. The most painful 2 hours of a video game I've ever spent ;_;
But once I beat it... >:D

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
The opening title screen of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots with its somber mood and haunting "Old Snake" had tears welling up in my eyes because of how sad it was.

The good ending of inFamous 2 made me cry because it showed that Cole's noble sacrifice was not in vain and would not be forgotten as Zeke initially feared. That is how a great hero should go out. After all, I was with Cole all the way through the first game to the very end and had guided him through tough decisions on the good path. How could I not cry?