Has anyone else played Metro 2033?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, I downloaded Metro 2033 onto my xbox awhile back, played the first few levels, left it, then came back to it a few months later to give it another shot with a fresh mind. And you know what? It's actually pretty good. It's an interesting little game that reminds me of Fallout 3 with a lot more focus on atmosphere and hopeless depression. I'm right around halfway through the game, to the point where you go up to the surface for the second time and have to deal with the Nazis (Yes there are Nazis, it was in the book. And yes, there was a book. Haven't read it though, probably should) The game just has so many little touches that I just can't help but like it.

There's a morality system that avoids the obvious YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON thing, you have to do good things to get points for the good ending, and the game only drops subtle hints that you're on the right path...though in hindsight it's a little annoying at times, still it's a nice touch.

The guns are wonderful. They're shitty due to being scrapped together from parts that got pulled out of the walls, the ammo was cobbled together to the point where pre-war rounds are considered money, and they just feel so satisfying. The throwing knives are a joy too, if tricky too use.

I actually feel motivated to stealth my way though and I can actually pull it off, normally I suck at stealth in games. Plus for those of us who don't like spending the entire game in the shadows, they throw plenty of mutant animals at us to kill without penalty.

The atmosphere...oh dear god the atmosphere is wonderful. You can hear men gasping for breath and choking on their own blood after you shoot them, the world is tight, compressed and dark, mutants are as common as rats and constantly attacking settlements, but the level that really sold me on the atmosphere was the level Front Line. Two factions going at it, too far away to see from one side, but to see one soldier being executed by his own side and the occasional bullet fly towards you and overhear a man talking about how he barely survived a suicide bomber attack...it's a joy.

So...yeah, sorry that I gushed a little bit. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase. So, did anyone else play this game? How is the Ranger mode (don't have it yet). Are you going to be buying Last Light?

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
I've had it installed on my computer since I bought the Humble THQ bundle awhile back. Only played a little of it, since my backlog is a bit large at the moment, but I liked what I played.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
I would LOVE to try Metro 2033. I got it for free when THQ was doing that promotion, but sadly my laptop can't run it. Which is why I'm glad Last Light is getting a console release as well. I'll be happy to pick that up as soon as the price goes down a bit. Normally I don't like first-person shooters, but there's something really compelling about games like BioShock and, from what I've seen, Metro. In fact Last Light kinda reminds me of BioShock, though that's probably just because of the scavenging feel. First-person has generally been delegated to all these popular, big-budget military shooter borefests in recent years, but FP can be done excellently and I'm glad to have discovered that.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
FootloosePhoenix said:
I would LOVE to try Metro 2033. I got it for free when THQ was doing that promotion, but sadly my laptop can't run it. Which is why I'm glad Last Light is getting a console release as well. I'll be happy to pick that up as soon as the price goes down a bit. Normally I don't like first-person shooters, but there's something really compelling about games like BioShock and, from what I've seen, Metro. In fact Last Light kinda reminds me of BioShock, though that's probably just because of the scavenging feel. First-person has generally been delegated to all these popular, big-budget military shooter borefests in recent years, but FP can be done excellently and I'm glad to have discovered that.

You know that you can get it on Xbox for around ten dollars right?

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
erttheking said:
FootloosePhoenix said:

No, I didn't actually, but then I'd have to spend $200 or so on a 360. :p I should have been clearer and said I'm glad Last Light is coming to PS3.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
FootloosePhoenix said:
erttheking said:
FootloosePhoenix said:

No, I didn't actually, but then I'd have to spend $200 or so on a 360. :p I should have been clearer and said I'm glad Last Light is coming to PS3.
Oh that's what you meant. Sorry about that.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Great game, but near the end it became one of the few games I genuinely ragequit on and never touched again. Let' just say if you hear about "Amoebas" you should get ready to rage.
Hopefully Last Light doesn't have any bullshitty sections.

Darquenaut

Feb 22, 2010
I actually fired this up about a month ago myself and woo-yeah. I originally got it at a discount and thought why not, but due to the mixed reviews I never got around to playing it until more than a year later.

This game is in my opinion the most desperate I felt playing a game since Fallout 3, or at least when you first start and you have no idea what to do and you got next to nothing to protect you. Except for Metro, this desperation is throughout. Everything in this game is a risk and what really worked for me if while there are a few jump scares here and there, this game instilled just such a constant sense of dread that even when I arrived in "safe" areas, I kept feeling a giant sense of unease.

The only real gripes I had with the game was the enemy AI, and the fact that if one enemy sees you, then ALL the enemies see you, and they are damn good shots. It's manageable as I played on Hard and got through it, but it does complicate things. And my only other problem is, achievement-wise, apparently I had to buy DLC (just $3, but still) to unlock the Ranger Hard difficulty... meaning I played on Hard for nothing because I have to pay extra money to get the super-hard difficulty. Not... exactly too cool.

That notwithstanding, this was a game that has been sticking with me. Strongly recommended.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Finally got around to beating this last week after picking it up around a year ago_Overall I enjoyed it and will probably get Last Light at some point.I had 2 complaints though that I hope are fixed for the sequel.Number 1 has already been mentioned by Darquenaut

Darquenaut said:
The only real gripes I had with the game was the enemy AI, and the fact that if one enemy sees you, then ALL the enemies see you, and they are damn good shots.
This is one of my pet peeves in videogames.Not too mention that the AI is pretty inconsistent about spotting you.Sometimes they'll walk right past you,other times they'll spot you when you're crouched behind a crate 20 feet away in total darkness

Number 2 - The guns.Yes I get what they were going for.The guns have been cobbled together from scavenged parts without proper tools.However when a large part of your game involves shooting then accuracy is a big deal and the guns are horribly inaccurate.If I shoot someone at point blank range with a shotgun then I shouldn't miss.The accuracy just made any gunfights a lot more frustrating than they should have been.Annoyingly too the AI don't seem to have any such problems

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I love it, I played it a while ago and just started again. It's a solid made shooter with a good story and lots of interesting quirks. I especially like the gas mask, adding pace to a lot of the levels that would probably be a lot slower if you weren't about to suffocate.

Plus, automatic shotgun. I love that babe, except for the reloading.

I liked the book, but I got about 3 chapters in and had to stop because it was giving me horrible nightmares. I might try it again, in a well lit safe.

One of the nice touches is the copies of Metro 2033 you see lying around, good shout.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I imagine I would've liked the game a lot more if its mandatory stealth elements weren't utterly broken if you didn't use the throwing knives. And not broken in the fun Metal Gear Solid way where you can toy with the silly AI and still get away if they happen to catch a glimpse of your leg.

I like stealth games, I like shooters, and Metro 2033 was a lot of fun. Until I reached the apocalypse-Nazi camp early on in the game that you had to stealth through, because getting spotted or missing a one-hit-kill meant every enemy in the area (a large area with a lot of enemies) immediately had telepathic knowledge of exactly where you were standing, and multiple machine gun turret placements from above would rain hell down on you while guys with shotguns and AKs riddled you from below.

Only game I can think of in recent memory that turned a complete 180 within the first five hours and made me ragequit so hard that I uninstalled it.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Played it for a couple of hours, thought it was the worst of rubbish, and haven't touched it since.

I should probably go back to it at some point and give it a second chance. I have a feeling I was wanting it to be something it was not (more open, more sand-boxy, smoother controls). Instead of a hyper-linear corridor-shoot with questionable AI and deliriously awful mechanics.

shrekfan246 said:
I imagine I would've liked the game a lot more if its mandatory stealth elements weren't utterly broken if you didn't use the throwing knives. And not broken in the fun Metal Gear Solid way where you can toy with the silly AI and still get away if they happen to catch a glimpse of your leg.

I like stealth games, I like shooters, and Metro 2033 was a lot of fun. Until I reached the apocalypse-Nazi camp early on in the game that you had to stealth through, because getting spotted or missing a one-hit-kill meant every enemy in the area (a large area with a lot of enemies) immediately had telepathic knowledge of exactly where you were standing, and multiple machine gun turret placements from above would rain hell down on you while guys with shotguns and AKs riddled you from below.
Thank you, yes. The stealth was horrible. Arguably the worst implementation of stealth I've ever seen.

fezgod

Dec 7, 2012
Metro 2033 is definitely one of my favorite games. While it may not have been completely polished, it did implement a lot of ideas that I loved, especially since it was fairly difficult.

Hopefully the sequel will fix most of my issues that I had with the game.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I played about half of it. I read the book before the game was out, and that just made it harder to play the game. From what I played it was great, but the book was way better.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I wish it had more scary sections. The Frontline was actually my least favorite part - it felt out of place that two factions were spending this much manpower and bullets in an environment that lacked both.
My favourite place was the Ghost Tunnel, and the bits you spend alone in the dark tunnels + the stations with people in them felt really athmospheric. It reminded me of STALKER's eerier areas.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
I'd want to give it a try, but just like FootLoose, I can't due to being unable to run it, and me being a pS3 player. It seems a rather intriguing game from what i'v seen, and keeping a close eye on he sequel.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I love that game. I played through it 3 times immediately. I read the book, which was pretty good, quite different then the game, but the book kept all the Russian names so I often got confused about which station Artyom was at, almost all of the names ended in -skaya so it was hard to keep them straight.

I have the second book but I haven't read it yet.

I loved in the game how in the stealth sections, if you were detected, the AI didn't give up searching. Most games, even if they find a body, they eventually shrug it off and go back to sitting or where ever the bots were originally. That made things a lot tougher.

I also loved the hardcore modes. I liked how every gun had clear magazines allowing you to see how many bullets were left. The hardcore mode was probably the best game play idea for a game like that. However there was an easy caveat, pulling out your map would show the HUD and tell you how much ammo you had which I wish didn't happen.

I liked the setting behind the game also. The quote Artyom says during a cutscene about the Fourth Reich fighting the communists was pretty poignant, "Even the apocalypse didn't stop us from killing each other over ideology." That seems like something that would happen if we ever had a similar apocalypse.

One thing I didn't like was how the oxygen masks worked. I never understood how much time I had left, it seemed like I would last for like 15 minutes on one filter and then suddenly replace my filter once every 2-3 minutes for the rest of the level.

I really hope Last Light doesn't screw up all the good things the first had going for it. They better keep the weapon system, having 2 big weapons, a pistol, grenade, and some knives seems like the appropriate loadout for someone trying to survive after the world ends.

I do hope they get the video options sorted out, 2033 had terrible graphics options, took a lot of config editing to get the game to run at 60 FPS even though I had way more than the recommended specs.

Also, make sure you play through and get the "real" ending. Its a real eye opener if you were oblivious during the original playthrough like I was.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
erttheking said:
This is why some of us are looking forward to last light, welcome :)

I bought it randomly about a year after it came out. Enjoyed it a LOT more than fallout 3 / new vegas. The shooting is decent, but its definitely the atmosphere that kept me playing. Last few hours of the games story became a bit hard to follow though.

- A great risky risk with the gasmask outside. Nothing like being on your last few breaths with cracks all over the screen :p

Horrible stealth sections though. I really hope they sort those out on the next game.

I reccommend getting the ranger mode difficulty. Much more fun. Less bullets but they do MUCH more damage, both the giving and the taking. Makes the guns feel more dangerous than on the regular mode.

Some pretty distinctive guitar riffs too.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I thought it was pretty good, if not amazing. Some parts were legitimately really tense. Separating from Bourbon to go exploring in the tunnels early on felt legitimately risky, even though the enemies weren't really *that* dangerous.

The book is a lot better though. It's a brilliant book and you should read it.