Has anyone else played Metro 2033?

johnmaikeru

Mar 26, 2013
This game's "morality system" really pisses me the fuck off.

Read some article somewhere about 'binary moral choices'- and this game really fits the fucking bill. You get the "good" ending if you make the same value judgements the crack-head developers made; otherwise you get the "bad" ending.

Yes- I shot the Nazi soldiers who were talking about their families- having a family doesn't actually make you any less of a Nazi. Given the chance, the Nazis would kill me and the people I care about. Need I mention that they open fire the moment they see you? I can think of eleventy-billion reasons why I was justified in killing them.

I can also think of eleventy-fucking-billion reasons why I'd take the ammo reward instead of doing the "selfless" act of refusing it (in this case, I didn't, but I'm still a bad person because the developers said so).

For some fucking inane reason, the summation of said decisions result in you not being given the choice to save the aliens- I'm not bothered when I'm told that I've done something bad (when I've done something that is objectively- and inexorably- bad); but it does bother me a whole fucking lot when someone points the finger at me and goes "nu-uh" when I've done something even remotely justifiable. In any case, the relationship between the decision you have to make at the end and the decisions you've made during the other parts of the game is quite frankly- tenuous- and whoever thought it was a good idea deserves to be shot. With military-grade ammunition.

Metro 2033? More like Meh-throw.

*ZP music plays*

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
I had Metro 2033 for the 360, and I got it for free for my PC back in... I think it was either November or December back when THQ still existed, and were giving away free Steam codes for Metro. Finished it on the 360, still need to finish it on the PC. It is a pretty good game, though, and I'm hoping Metro: Last Light does well, too. Might end up asking for Last Light for Christmas this year, depending on how it goes.

The one flaw I have with Metro 2033 is that the morality system either is poorly explained, or not explained at all. You basically need a guide if you want to know how to get the 'Good' ending.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
I got the game during the Christmas steam sales for cheap and only played for a couple of hours. I LOVED the atmosphere of the game and as someone who doesn't like survival horror games (because I'm a fraidy cat), I really like this game. But damn the gameplay, with the gunplay in particular, being so aggravating. I quit at the first mission of Khan after dying at least ten times. The part that made me rage quit was when the guy saw me hiding, again, and I shot him not once, not twice, but three times a foot away from him, in the head with a shotgun. He of course dusted himself of and shot me with his shotgun killing me instantly. My brother justified my ragequit by agreeing that it was indeed bullshit.

I hear Last Light fixed that though did take away most of the survival horror aspects. Made me kinda interested in it to be honest.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
First time playing through the library section made me genuinely scared, not because of the usual jumps scares seen often in other games, but instead I was terrified by the librarians even after they appeared and started chasing me.

Fetus

Nov 25, 2012
I rented it awhile back, I loved it. Such a cool unique setting with a great story.
The only issue I had was with the stealth, which from my friend I here has been fixed in the sequel.
Thank Joe Pesci.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Zaydin said:
I had Metro 2033 for the 360, and I got it for free for my PC back in... I think it was either November or December back when THQ still existed, and were giving away free Steam codes for Metro. Finished it on the 360, still need to finish it on the PC. It is a pretty good game, though, and I'm hoping Metro: Last Light does well, too. Might end up asking for Last Light for Christmas this year, depending on how it goes.

The one flaw I have with Metro 2033 is that the morality system either is poorly explained, or not explained at all. You basically need a guide if you want to know how to get the 'Good' ending.
I think the good ending is so hard to get and unexplained because its more of a secret/bonus ending. Blowing the dark ones up is the canon ending in the books as far as I know and what Last light is going off.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Have yet to truly delve into it, got it in the THQ bundle as well, runs on my PC with everything on low, but it runs smooth and still looks decent, it's amazing. It's on my next to play list.