Has/did your school ever pull a dick move?

Oct 30, 2010
Blablahb said:
gmaverick019 said:
ow i don't even play football, when i do/did, it was always recreational, but are you honestly saying volleyball is tougher than this?
Considering as both those guys wear a body protector that renders the impact of that almost nil: yes, volleyball is. Bumping into eachother is nothing compared to motions that attack small parts of the body, such as fingers, or ankles.

Actually, if you don't believe it, why don't you try it? Lay a hand on the side of your desk so that only two fingers are on it, and the other three are hanging freely. Now pull your hand up and strike your desk hard as you can in the exact same way. Please don't hold me responsible for any medical costs or injuries that occur. That is what a partial block against a good volleyball strike feels like, only the impact you've made will be much weaker.
Concussions.

I suppose if toughness is reduced to experiencing pain from impact that isn't really relevant, but it's also pretty clear the impact is not reduced to almost nil.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
A year after I went up to secondary school they changed the uniform, meaning everyone had to buy the new one after already having bought the first one.

Later on they decided that the food being served was too unhealthy overall and made considerably less of the things that actually tasted good. That's when everyone started going to the shop down the road. Then they built a fence around the perimeter of the school field and one further in around the buildings that were locked during school hours, meaning it took some determination to get a decent non-salad lunch.

Needless to say, holes were dug and some rivets went missing. As long as you knew someone who was in some roundabout way involved in it you'd know where the loose bars were and the staff never found out.

Sep 14, 2009
Blablahb said:
gmaverick019 said:
ow i don't even play football, when i do/did, it was always recreational, but are you honestly saying volleyball is tougher than this?
Considering as both those guys wear a body protector that renders the impact of that almost nil: yes, volleyball is. Bumping into eachother is nothing compared to motions that attack small parts of the body, such as fingers, or ankles.

Actually, if you don't believe it, why don't you try it? Lay a hand on the side of your desk so that only two fingers are on it, and the other three are hanging freely. Now pull your hand up and strike your desk hard as you can in the exact same way. Please don't hold me responsible for any medical costs or injuries that occur. That is what a partial block against a good volleyball strike feels like, only the impact you've made will be much weaker.
first off that's a ball hitting your fingers, not a human being, and i've played volleyball quite a bit with people of all sizes and skills, hell i got my nose broke from a volleyball spike to the face, but in no way shape or form would i say it's worse than getting a pummeled hit in football. (and this is coming from someone who is normally a little guy, so in volleyball i got hammered on all the fucking time)

one of the fastest recorded hits from a volleyball strike was 88 mph, and that's not even average that was from a ridiculously powerful in shape man hitting it. so lets take that roughly 1-2 lb ball, and hit it at that speed, while taking a 200 lb man, and have him hit you going 10 mph while you are running towards him going roughly 13 mph (like that clip i showed, and that guy was probably more than 200, as most linebackers/defensive players are in the 210-250 range)

now i'm not going to sit here and work it out, but the energy/force from the football hit is much greater than the volleyball hit. I don't care to show any work for it nor do i care to sit here and argue it, it just seems like you are being ignorant of football like it's some sissy sport.

Note: I like volleyball alot and play it roughly once a month on average, nor is it a sissy sport by any means.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
kebab4you said:
Okey this on the other side is a dick move, also illegal. You did report them right? o_o
Nah we didn't. I never really thought about the legalities of it all just how annoying it was that they wanted control of my own personal computer. Maybe I should get the students that are still there to report them or something. Anyway, their problem now, not mine.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
When they were renaming the school, they totally rejected my suggestion that we rechristen the bloody place "Darth Vader High". Tossers.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
New Hampshire law now restricts us to only have things that are "low in sugar".

No clarification on how "low" is "low". Just make sure it's low on sugar, or else!

(I've been selling fucking Snapple for four days out of my bag and I'm making a killing, how sad is that?)

kannibus said:
When they were renaming the school, they totally rejected my suggestion that we rechristen the bloody place "Darth Vader High". Tossers.
It's because it doesn't roll off the tongue well enough. You need Darth Vader Academy.

It's perfect!

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
Is it a dick move to confiscate a 10 year old boy pc magazine with pictures of topless women? because that's the only thing I think of, my last year of high school was hectic and I was about to repeat it again if some teacher gave away the answers for some tests for me, so it quite the contrary.

I do recall that when I was in college, I was banned from entering classes because I had long hair. I could've easily cutted but I my theater director especifically told me not to since my character needed to have long hair. So I was banned from entering, yet some guys with longer hair than mine could enter the class, strange...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
My high school had one lunch hour (it was really 45 mins- but who's counting?) and it was always super packed. Granted you could go off campus and get food, but the places around the school were packed at lunch, and you had to have a car to get food somewhere else, and that was the fastest. So, they did have food stands to get food from, and there was only three of them outside and they had long lines. So instead of adding another one so everyone could get food and not eat in a hurry, the school took one away and gave the football team new uniforms.

One year a new high school was created and me and 20 other students in my neighborhood were grandfathered over to stay at our current school and they said they'd keep the buses coming and getting us. LIES!! A week before school started they sent out a letter saying they were canceling our bus route and stated no reason for that. So all of us had to either walk, get a job to get a car, or bike it to school, and all of us relied on the bus. Granted we were about 4 miles away, but that was not a fun year, and a lot of the time I walked to school since I couldn't get a job, and didn't own a bike since my last one got stolen. The only good thing that came out was I got to know someone else on my route really well when we were walking to school.

I got into a fight with this one chick that was giving me a hard time for about a month and we ended up fighting (she started it and not me) and I ended up getting ISS for defending myself while the chick got a slap on the wrist. The teacher that caught us claimed that I started it since she 'would never do anything like this and was well liked', or something like that, and so I was suspended for a three days for....something.

Another time in junior high I was suspended from the bus for a week for something I didn't do, something was going on in the back of the bus and I was in the front reading and listening to music. Next thing I know I'm called to the Assistant Principals office and was told I was getting suspended, and any attempts to defend myself was met with 'that's not what other students have said'- the ones that were doing it. After a few days, I get called back in for a 'counseling session' and my dad gets called in. I sit outside the office while my dad is yelling at her, most terrifying 5 mins of my life, and all I got was a 'well we don't know how to contact the bus driver so you're just gonna have to find a way to get home for the rest of the week'. No apology, no calling the kids that got me into trouble in, nothing. I was one pissed off 8th grader.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
I was pulled from school and put on medical absence.
They didnt change it in the system so I got charged with truancy...
I still had to go to court and pay for the court costs even though it wasnt my fault.

Not to mention the court nearly called Child Services because they though my parents were bad.
THANK GOD we had the paperwork from the school about my medical leave.

After that I dropped out and got my Diploma elsewhere. I was not dealing with that shit school system again.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Richardplex said:
SirBryghtside said:
Ugh... got into 6th form today, and I already hate the school again.

In your free time - that's time when you don't have lessons - you have to stay in school.

I mean... seriously, what? What's the point in that?
Because it isn't free time, it's personal study period. Not really a dick move, the school expecting you to do work instead of dicking about for an hour, no offence.

OT: I got suspended for being beaten up in the name of fairness, that was pretty cool.
Same thing happened to me in middle school. Some dick was teasing me about my weight (I was a fatty!) and then punched me in the eye. I got suspended for it, he got one day of in school suspension. That was nice, wasn't it?

More recently (and this is talking 4-5 years ago), during my senior year, they decided that they would switch to a rotating schedule. On A days, you took one set of classes, and on B days, you took another set. However, they royally fucked it up, and instead of trying to fix each students schedule so that they took the classes they needed in order to graduate, they just loaded everybody up with gym glasses. That is how I ended up with 8 gym classes my senior year. Needless to say, I fucked around in mos tof them
9one I actually did need). It destroyed my grade point average, and I couldn't take most of the classes I wanted. I passed, but I had to take extra math in college because of it.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
My school has had to laid off many teachers and lunchroom workers, yet somehow was able to afford to put astroturf on the football field (as did a school in a neighboring city).

Am I the only one who noticed a lot more media attention is paid when they cut sports programs than anything else?

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Blablahb said:
gmaverick019 said:

i call bull on that dude, i played football for a couple years at the middle school level and even in full pads impacts WERE NOT FUN. they hurt. sorry but running into somebody who is also trying to hit you as hard as they can is going to hurt, it's just not BONE BREAKING

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
...okay, either I'm a cock sucking sheep, have repressed memories, or my schools are awesome!

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Jakub324 said:
Mine did. Twice.

1) Changed the already awful cafeteria system so kids can only get school food (we used to be able to swing by Tesco in the morning to get something worth eating rather than sawdust sandwiches)
2)Timetable changes. Now, kiddies only have one hour of free time in the entire day, which goes from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM, and they have less options for their GCSEs, with (I think) 6 of them being removed. This affects the teachers, too - their pay gets frozen for I don't know how long (I'm not even sure they know).

What about yours? Did you ever want to set the board of governors on fire?
EDIT: The one hour is made of 20 minutes break and 40 minutes lunch.
Oh wow man, that's pretty hardcore. That reminds me, of, this one time . . . when my school kicked me out because I ate a wafer at my seat instead of in front of the priest, after I invested $15,000 of money into my education there, as well as nearly two years of my life.

Sorry, didn't mean to be mean . . that was more me giving my text impression of Cartman from Southpark during Cartoon Wars pt 2. I'm quite sure schools have done worse than what happened to me, to other people.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
My High School had the balls to make us pay for our own lunches just so they could make up for the base cost of the food and pay the lunch ladies. Not only that but they forced us to take state mandated standardized tests, and encouraged us to take the SATs, I mean how dare they take an interest in my future? HOW DARE THEY!? /sarcasm

In all seriousness for our senior song (The song we are all supposed to sing after we all got our diplomas but before every left) was voted on when they called the entire senior class into an assembly. The choices were crappy so me and some friends decided to start a write in campaign (the school encouraged write ins and there was a space on the ballot for it.) We managed to get an over whelming majority to write in Friends of Mine by Bowling for Soup, we even manged to find a version of the lyrics that edited out the alcohol references. It was announced as the winner. We get to our marching practice and find out the school had a re-vote, failed to announce it to the senior class, with the exception of a certain few students, and we ended up with Forever Young by Rod Stewart. We were not pleased.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
dancinginfernal said:
New Hampshire law now restricts us to only have things that are "low in sugar".

No clarification on how "low" is "low". Just make sure it's low on sugar, or else!

(I've been selling fucking Snapple for four days out of my bag and I'm making a killing, how sad is that?)

kannibus said:
It's because it doesn't roll off the tongue well enough. You need Darth Vader Academy.

It's perfect!
Interesting, the one state without a seat-belt law, or a helmet law (unless something has been passed recently) has a low sugar law?

New Hampshire: Live Free or Die....As Long As It's a Low Sugar Life

mayney93

Aug 3, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Richardplex said:
SirBryghtside said:
Ugh... got into 6th form today, and I already hate the school again.

In your free time - that's time when you don't have lessons - you have to stay in school.

I mean... seriously, what? What's the point in that?
Because it isn't free time, it's personal study period. Not really a dick move, the school expecting you to do work instead of dicking about for an hour, no offence.

OT: I got suspended for being beaten up in the name of fairness, that was pretty cool.
And now we get to the really stupid part - no one even checks that you're studying. Most people just hang around in the common room talking/playing MineCraft. What exactly stops us from studying at home?

I can see the justification, but... no. Just no.

Edit: and I'll add to that uniform. IT HAS NO IMPACT ON LEARNING AND DOESN'T MAKE US BETTER ROLE MODELS SO SHUT UP.
my argument to my old head of 6th he was arguing that a uniform would change the behaviour of the study room, nope, some air conditioning in there might though, that room was far too hot, and on the free time note i used to just get a freind to clock me in etc,no system is perfect, all of them can be exploited