Has Halo been forever ruined?

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
I'm getting Halo 4 in good faith, to give 343 a shot, but they are on thin ice. After the colossal fuck-up that was Reach, this is their chance to win me back. Seeing through walls, Armour Abilities returning, loadouts, instant-spawns, and weapon drops are not doing it for me, but Spartan Ops sounds awesome enough to make up for that, and if they can still make this feel like Halo, even if it's not exactly the Halo that I spent my summer nights of yesteryear on, I think it'll be good enough.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
SajuukKhar said:
Considering Halo died for me after the first one with how 2 was god-awful, 3 made it worse, Halo Wars was shamefully poor, ODSt was only slightly better then Wars, and Halo Reach was a last ditch attempt to return the series to something that resembled 1 but with leaving out all the things that made Halo 1 good....... Halo has been ruined for me for a long time already.
I think you and I are (mostly) in agreement. (though, admittedly, I did like Wars and ODST. If only because they were still above average games and they tried something different with the story. (and actually HAD stories))

Two was, like you said, God awful. I seriously regret waiting in line at mid-night to pick that up back-in-the-day. My God what a let down. Three was only marginally better while Reach was slightly better than three.

In the end, though, they all lost the look, feel, epicness, and charm of the first Halo. There was just something....off about them. The game-play changes, regenerating health, the different feel to the movement and controls...it just all felt changed. And for me, changed for the worse.

Plus, when I consider the travesty that was Anniversary, I've little faith in 343s ability to craft a quality game. I mean, Christ, all they had to do for Anniversary was take two games that were already finished, combine them, and modernize the graphics. And they STILL messed it up.

Yeah. Don't have high hopes for Halo 4.

Captcha: Hot-n-ready pizza.
Hmm, you know...I actually could go for a pizza right about. Sounds like a good idea.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
halo_fan said:
a noob defender said:
Dude, stick to the Reach forum or 343i's forums if serious and stop making the Halo fanbase look bad. It's grown smaller yet better ever since CoD took off and since Reach the only blemishes are the overly nostalgic and hyper competitive types.
It's turned into a small community of mostly casual gamers, noobs and children. That's a better community for a game that was KNOWN for having an enormous fanbase and following that included every imiganible type of player?

How can you possibly defend that?!!
Bungie tossed their own brand in the toliet with Reach cause everyone who knows Halo knows that game was the WoRST of the series by far.

Obvious when you listen to the fans, see how few are even left, or play the p.o.s.

I'm not allowed to be serious about what used to be my favorite game before Bungie killed it?

Try answering my questions foo! get owned like you's would at Halo. Yes any of them, even crap-reach! :p
You know, there's a reason that I don't frequent the Bungie.net forums anymore, too many people like you who think that saying things like "I would beat you at a video game," is a good comeback.

EDIT: Huh, thought that this thread was dead.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Please, Halo 1 was the best one, me and my friends would have Warthog derbies, and crash warthogs into each other letting the insane lack of physics take effect, sending one or both of us into the skybox. The winner would be the one to knock the opponent out of the warthog and run them over

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
My feelings are mixed. I'm not worried about the weapon spawns or the player spawns. "Map control" and "strategy" are just euphemisms for rushing the power weapons and grinding for rank. You don't need the carrot of power weapons to get players to make strategies and fight for map control. Let me sum up the current extent of strategy and map control- "rush the power weapons, then camp the power weapons". Every match is exactly the same because there is really only one strategy. I kind of welcome an end to the tedium of knowing exactly what everyone will do at all times. The player respawn times don't break the game any more than playing on a small map does. Less, in fact. It's totally understandable if you don't like these features but I think calling them the death of strategy and player skill is a Chicken Little routine.

I'm not worried about Forerunner Vision (or whatever) yet. It could be fine in some very limited form. If it lets you see everyone on the map, then I will probably rage. That and I just think it's a bad fit and no fun.

What does have me worried is the unlock system. If I understand correctly, you earn points to spend on new weapons, armor, and upgrades. I really didn't want Halo to go that route and it could even be a deal-breaker. I like starting everyone off on an even footing with similar options, and I don't like time played=win. I was even a little leery of Reaches loadouts but at least everyone had the same options and I liked the game overall.

It's annoying that I even have to say this, but yes, we don't know everything about the game yet, and yes, we will wait and see.

Furioso said:
Please, Halo 1 was the best one, me and my friends would have Warthog derbies, and crash warthogs into each other letting the insane lack of physics take effect, sending one or both of us into the skybox. The winner would be the one to knock the opponent out of the warthog and run them over
I never knew how much I loved 'Ghost physics' until Halo 2 didn't have it.

halo_fan

Apr 9, 2012
Only got one problem there Tex...

Controlling the map and getting the weapon spawns has ALWAYS been a part of Halo. And doing those things is not a strategy, it's a goal. A strategy would be how your team plans on accomplishing that.

'"Map control" and "strategy" are just euphemisms for rushing the power weapons and grinding for rank. '

Look, some maps aint real big, you guys are all making it sound like the majority of poeople don't run around, say the Pit, and go different places at all, they just stay in the rocket tunnel all game. Which isn't the real truth. People are all over trying to get kills. And you can't say, atleast in social, that there are plenty of times you go runnign by the rocket and notice its sitting in there with no one around.

Here's the problem with this, the weapons have always been on the map in Halo, thats part of why the game works the way it does. If you randomized or took the spawns off, you wwould run into the CoD problem of not really NEEDING to go anywhere or do anything on a map, especially on the larger maps. In a ranked game of slayer on Valhalla, if people were trying to play a decent careful game, why would anyone launch out of the man-cannon and subject themself to sniping and an early death, why would people cannon out if there wasnt a spartan laser at the top of the map?

Why would a team even try to get to the middle if they're just gonn a be in the open when a warthog or banshee comes by and wipes them out cause the other team got a random laser spawn and they didn't?

Camping is a very very very limited occurence in Halo compared to almost any shooter ever, because the power weapons are in certain places on the map. Thats a fact.

If you want a lame ass CoD style campfest in all your ranked matches, instead of a vehicle laden run and gun battle, then change to loadouts and randomize power weapons. if you dont mind losing a game beacue the other team got 4 rocket spawns and your team didnt get any, then this is a great idea.

Of course, on smaller maps teams will still want map control for sight lines and to get the spawns if they can, and they will if they are set up good enough...so

If you think that map control is stupid, then you shouldnt be playing Halo cause thats a big part of the goal in each individual game, and it always has been, and I honestly dont see how anyone can think that needs to be or EVEN CAN be changed.

Completely random spawns would just be wankry that hands the rocket to people from time to time.

I also agree it's too early to call Halo 4.

halo_fan

Apr 9, 2012
EBWOP:
And you can't say, atleast in social, that there aren't plenty of times you go runnign by the rocket and notice its just sitting in there with no one around.

Duntus

Apr 12, 2012
I haven't heard anyone talk about Forge. Will it even be in the game? If not then Halo 4 will be ruined.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Nouw said:
Perhaps one should play it before condemning it. Having said that, I still have Reach so I don't care :p.

Vrex360 said:
I really had no intention of playing Halo 4 ever to be honest. Halo 3 had a great ending that was satisfying and provided enough closure to make me feel that the series was 'over' and as huge of a Halo fanboy as I am, I won't be interested in any continuation.

But yes from the sounds of things, what makes Halo 'Halo' seems to be dissappearing in Halo 4's gameplay, at least if that article is to be believed.

P.S you know I must be getting more jaded when even giant pictures of the mighty and holy SANGHEILI in the article don't make me leap with excitement.
I'm surprised you're taking the news that they're not in multiplayer well :p.
[HEADING=1]GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!![/HEADING]

Those repulsive human heathens!!!

Sorry I didn't respond before, didn't see this quote before so I apologize for the lateness of this reply. But still damn, that's gonna piss me off a bit. Well if nothing else I now have less incentive to get into it and can instead just stick with the 'Holy trilogy' and Reach... and ODST... and Legends.... and the books.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Vrex360 said:
Nouw said:
Perhaps one should play it before condemning it. Having said that, I still have Reach so I don't care :p.

Vrex360 said:
I really had no intention of playing Halo 4 ever to be honest. Halo 3 had a great ending that was satisfying and provided enough closure to make me feel that the series was 'over' and as huge of a Halo fanboy as I am, I won't be interested in any continuation.

But yes from the sounds of things, what makes Halo 'Halo' seems to be dissappearing in Halo 4's gameplay, at least if that article is to be believed.

P.S you know I must be getting more jaded when even giant pictures of the mighty and holy SANGHEILI in the article don't make me leap with excitement.
I'm surprised you're taking the news that they're not in multiplayer well :p.
[HEADING=1]GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!![/HEADING]

Those repulsive human heathens!!!

Sorry I didn't respond before, didn't see this quote before so I apologize for the lateness of this reply. But still damn, that's gonna piss me off a bit. Well if nothing else I now have less incentive to get into it and can instead just stick with the 'Holy trilogy' and Reach... and ODST... and Legends.... and the books.
Haha it's fine :p. While I don't particularly like playing as an Elite, having an option for it was still nice. Plus, there are thousands of people, like you, that love playing as an Elite. I don't understand why they're taking so many steps backwards with the new Halo.

zeit

Apr 24, 2012
It's been ruined since Halo 2 IMO. That had to be one of the most lackluster sequels ever.