Not open for further replies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just open their profile in a new window and you'll see... whoops, Profile not available!
Okay then. I was not expecting this. I already checked the info you just posted earlier. Thank you for letting me know.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Why would you even bother...
It reminds me of when V1 was shutting down and users who hadn't been online in 5+ years would log on to post a BAN ME protest thread, and we were all like "And who are you again? You could have just not logged on and let the change happen."

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Anyway, says it was for spamming reports. The way B-Cell was treated doesn't sit well with them, so they went back through B-Cells history and flagged any post that insulted him.
Snrck, wooooowww.

Why would you even bother...
I'd guess that, based on the discussion he and I had, he felt that there was a large degree of injustice involved. A lot of people were a bit of a dick to B-Cell, and I certainly admitted I was. But I also apologized for it after he put that more into focus and helped me realize I went too far. Whether I was part of his little reporting festival, I'll never know. But he was under the belief that many people deserved more warnings and/or bans for the way they treated him, more so than B-Cell did for his posts overall that led to him being banned.

It reminds me of when V1 was shutting down and users who hadn't been online in 5+ years would log on to post a BAN ME protest thread, and we were all like "And who are you again? You could have just not logged on and let the change happen."
I kinda get what he was going for, but those posts were half a year old, and thus irrelevant to current situations and behaviours. It would've been better to simply leave it to the future... An "if these people act like this all the time, their bans will come in time" sort of thing. What I found surprising is that he got flat out banned for what he did. I'd have expected a slap on the hand and a "stop that." Maybe he was on thinner ice than I expected

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
And what was the endgame there, I have to wonder? Thinking that all those people would get banned?
Probably, yeah. As I said in my post above, he probably felt there was a grave injustice for the way people acted towards B-Cell and the amount of people not warned/banned for it, so he hoped that by mass reporting people who participated, we'd be punished for it. Still surprises me he didn't simply get warned for it though

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I've lifted the ban on Drath. Spamming our reports is not the way to go about talking about someone was banned and requesting a second look / appeal on their behalf. The goal is to not be antagonistic with the community here and the mods and I are doing our best to keep track of this stuff and treat people fairly.

There's too much negativity and I don't want to see more of it here, so just act in good faith with us and we can make corrections if needed.

We're open to discussion on these things, so just ask, but obviously in the end it's our final decision on what to do.

Abusing the system is definitely the way to get attention you don't want though and gives our volunteer mods an unnecessary headache, so please don't do that or you will be banned to stop it from happening.

Anyways, that's all. I'm taking a break from social media this weekend, it's been a bit much.

You can join us for an Among Us stream tomorrow with a bunch of The Escapist team at 6 PM CT.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I've lifted the ban on Drath. Spamming our reports is not the way to go about talking about someone was banned and requesting a second look / appeal on their behalf. The goal is to not be antagonistic with the community here and the mods and I are doing our best to keep track of this stuff and treat people fairly.

There's too much negativity and I don't want to see more of it here, so just act in good faith with us and we can make corrections if needed.

We're open to discussion on these things, so just ask, but obviously in the end it's our final decision on what to do.

Abusing the system is definitely the way to get attention you don't want though and gives our volunteer mods an unnecessary headache, so please don't do that or you will be banned to stop it from happening.

Anyways, that's all. I'm taking a break from social media this weekend, it's been a bit much.

You can join us for an Among Us stream tomorrow with a bunch of The Escapist team at 6 PM CT.
Couple of questions.

What happened on social media? Obviously on if you want to say

Is there a suspension system? Is that what happened to Darth? A few days banned. Its been a while since I looked at the TOS

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Couple of questions.

What happened on social media? Obviously on if you want to say

Is there a suspension system? Is that what happened to Darth? A few days banned. Its been a while since I looked at the TOS
There's just been A LOT of negativity and I'm not exactly comfortable with how the media has handled this whole Troy Leavitt situation. I commented on it more in the thread about Hogwarts, but I think the media handled this very poorly and I think the toxicity has really gotten out of hand. It's a bit much to take in sometimes as a member of the media and not exactly knowing what to do, being afraid to speak up on these things for fear of the mob labeling you and just attacking you day after day, etc, but also wanting to speak up because you feel you need to.

I'm a very empathetic person and social media makes it feel like it's not OK to feel that way sometimes, even with people you might disagree with, and that really bothers me.

And no, there's not a suspension system. They appealed the ban, and I take it seriously when banning longtime members because I don't want anyone to feel ostracized from the community when they might need it most, especially right now during the pandemic.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Probably, yeah. As I said in my post above, he probably felt there was a grave injustice for the way people acted towards B-Cell and the amount of people not warned/banned for it, so he hoped that by mass reporting people who participated, we'd be punished for it. Still surprises me he didn't simply get warned for it though
The irony is that Drath is usually the first one to complain whenever somebody else gets banned, and is always going on about how much they miss all the asshats that are no longer here due to being banned.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
So, I have a few questions about this then. If someone were to make an attempt to report a user based on comments they made months or even years ago, looking through post histories and/or threads for examples to pull from, is that something even remotely considered on the mod team's end? Or is there a sort of time frame where reports on such posts are taken as "That was a long time ago, let it go" and more recent posts are the only ones considered?

I ask because I feel that linking Drath to the B-Cell thread earlier in this thread probably helped in showing him some prime examples of people (including myself) not being as nice to B-Cell as we could've been. I myself apologized for it in our discussion at the end of page 7 and I whole heartily meant it. Now I am sitting here wondering if someone can go "Hmmmm, you were a bit of a right shit towards -insert user- in this thread 9 months ago" and report another for it in hopes it'll be taken seriously enough to set a mark on the account.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about this if you could, please!

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
So, I have a few questions about this then. If someone were to make an attempt to report a user based on comments they made months or even years ago, looking through post histories and/or threads for examples to pull from, is that something even remotely considered on the mod team's end? Or is there a sort of time frame where reports on such posts are taken as "That was a long time ago, let it go" and more recent posts are the only ones considered?

I ask because I feel that linking Drath to the B-Cell thread earlier in this thread probably helped in showing him some prime examples of people (including myself) not being as nice to B-Cell as we could've been. I myself apologized for it in our discussion at the end of page 7 and I whole heartily meant it. Now I am sitting here wondering if someone can go "Hmmmm, you were a bit of a right shit towards -insert user- in this thread 9 months ago" and report another for it in hopes it'll be taken seriously enough to set a mark on the account.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about this if you could, please!
It's just a case by case basis. If the mods or I are alerted to someone that was saying truly awful things back on V1, but have grown as a person and aren't doing the same things here, then who are we to judge at this point? I think, or assume, most of you are adult-enough to handle some of these things on your own.

If you're bringing up grievances from 9 months ago just to stick it to another user you're currently beefing with, it's pretty obvious.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
It's just a case by case basis. If you're bringing up grievances from 9 months ago just to stick it to another user you're currently beefing with, it's pretty obvious.
Case by case, but maybe not entirely out of the possibility?

But yeah, I agree, it'd probably show in some fashion, lest someone take the long con route. Though this situation happening to begin with will probably tighten up things a little on the back end, seeing as it's become clear users may decide to take action this way. Only takes one example to tighten policy!

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Are you saying you don't remember me, Pony? You cut me real deep just now : (

And what was the endgame there, I have to wonder? Thinking that all those people would get banned?
I wasn't hoping to get anybody banned. I just wanted to point out past actions for certain users so the mods could keep it in mind when they deal with them in the future. Because when you see the posts in isolation you might not think anything of it, but to see them all together it says something about the poster. Preferably the mods would have used that information to give them a warning rather than a ban. Also, a large part was to give more context to who those reports were coming from that got B-Cell banned and how they acted in the past. Those were the two main ideas running through my mind.

Not sure why you're defending him. Dude had some pretty perverse views towards female representation and characters. Those undertones came through in almost all of his threads.
I skimmed through all his posts here on v2 and I didn't see anything like that other than calling a random woman fat on that thread he was banned in.

The irony is that Drath is usually the first one to complain whenever somebody else gets banned, and is always going on about how much they miss all the asshats that are no longer here due to being banned.
I did consider that, and I really wouldn't have liked to see them banned either. It just seemed like a good way to get my point across at the time. Obviously it wasn't.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
And no, there's not a suspension system. They appealed the ban, and I take it seriously when banning longtime members because I don't want anyone to feel ostracized from the community when they might need it most, especially right now during the pandemic.
Thanks for that!

Personally, I'd like to see a suspension system, it'd be nice if the mods had more tools in their belt than outright banning someone. (And no, I'm not just saying that because I was just banned, I've said it before.)

That's part of the reason that the B-Cell ban bothers me like it does. He struck me as the kind of person that might not have many people to relate to in real life, so it would really suck when he was cut off from this community, even though quite a few people weren't very nice to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.