Has MovieBob been fired from ScrewAttack?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Corey Schaff said:
Rad Party God said:
I swear, I almost expect him to go to jail because he exploded at a local Gamestop about Sonic's arms being blue or some SJW nonsense.
Wasn't that somebody different, or do you mean you expect him to do something similar?
Yeah, I think I didn't worded it out correctly, I was referring to Chrischan, because Bob's rant in his Pixels review almost reached that level of autistic man child outrage.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Slice said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Slice said:
Drops a Sweet Katana said:
Slice said:
Is it weird that I have no idea who this person is? Youtube "celebrity" I assume?
He was a contributor to The Escapist who did film reviews and a couple of other things until a couple years back when he left/was let go. A lot of people around here tend to have pretty mixed opinions about him due to some of his more inflammatory political opinions (like the ever-classic 'no bad tactics, only bad targets') which sometimes seeped through into his content.
I see, so he's not even a Youtube-tier "star". Well, it sounds like he's a real peach of a human being, "No bad tactics", yuck.
You have no idea. At one point he starting trashing Totalbiscuit on Twiiter, timing his tweets to coinside with one of Tb's chemo treatments so that he would be unable to defend himself. I liked his content and tolarated his personality but when this happened. I just stopped watching his stuff completly.
That's pretty pathetic behavior from anyone who claims to be an adult.

Slice said:
Slice said:
Is it weird that I have no idea who this person is? Youtube "celebrity" I assume?
He was a contributor to The Escapist who did film reviews and a couple of other things until a couple years back when he left/was let go. A lot of people around here tend to have pretty mixed opinions about him due to some of his more inflammatory political opinions (like the ever-classic 'no bad tactics, only bad targets') which sometimes seeped through into his content.
I see, so he's not even a Youtube-tier "star". Well, it sounds like he's a real peach of a human being, "No bad tactics", yuck.
Yeah, some of the tweets I've seen make me a little sick to my stomach with the venom, ire and dehumanisation. It sucks because his videos on films (and comics, but those aren't my jam) were usually pretty insightful, and towards the end all of the spite just put me off it.
I don't know anything about that, but people who act that way are usually deeply, massively unhappy people.
It wouldn't surprise me, to be honest.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Gizmo1990 said:
You have no idea. At one point he starting trashing Totalbiscuit on Twiiter, timing his tweets to coinside with one of Tb's chemo treatments so that he would be unable to defend himself. I liked his content and tolarated his personality but when this happened. I just stopped watching his stuff completly.
Wrong person. That was James Portnow who writes the stuff for Extra Creditz, calling TB a hypocrite by saying he doesn't disclose sponsorship in his videos when he did. Portnow got a shock when TB called him out on it because Portnow figured TB wouldn't know about it.

Don't get me wrong. As far as I'm concerned Bob took leave of his senses some time ago and became just an awful person as a result. But for accuracy's sake, it wasn't him that did that.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
This thread's been a pretty interesting read.

I don't follow the guy or his work; never have. But I remember threads like this used to be split about 50/50 back when he was still a contributor here.
Now, in this thread, the general sentiment is almost 100% negative. I guess he must've taken many of his fans with him when he left (which explains some of the loss of site traffic).

Anyway, to anyone here who is wondering who he is or what he did wrong, know this: His behavior and conduct on twitter was so objectionable and venomous, that his tweets ended up being explicitly blocked from appearing in The Escapist staff's twitter feed widget, after a series of complaints.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Oooo a Bob bashing thread. What can I say that hasn't been yet?

For a while I've considered Bob to be a real life modern equivalent to Dante from Kevin Smith's Clerks: he thinks he's the superior being, not realizing that the people he looks down on often have jobs and responsibilities while he produces ranty videos of very little depth or intellectual content before he potentially makes them worse with one sided, judgmental, and hostile political views. Sadly his attitude and using it to appeal to the likeminded is honestly the best he has going. He produces very little video these days period, let alone in comparison to youtubers that update a few times a week or better, and if you watch other youtubers, the seams start to show in his work. From time you see him edit a video slide to acknowledge he misspoke rather than re-record 5 minutes of audio, to just seeing others do more and better. Last year I saw SF debris cover the comics industry in the 90s in a series over 3 hours long covering not just stories, but personal conflicts, bad business decisions, and the economic side of things, while Bob limited his view of 90s comics some years before as a 5 minute video going "too much dark and gritty". He just seems like the guy that wants to be a celebrity on 5 minutes of video a week going "you want to know what I think" and" here's the amibos I want". If he didn't have the toxic personality, I don't know if he'd be any mind of blip on the radar anymore.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wouldn't be surprised. He's MovieBob. His gimmick, aside from being an asshole to his fans, is being an asshole to his employers. He is/was/ever shall be the human embodiment of the dog that bites the hand that feeds it and also fuck you for not giving him more money, you sexist!

Still, his Pixel review was funny for like a week...

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
...I'm trying to be a better person...

But, going to take this opportunity to say FUCK MOVIEBOB.

He's pretty much the best example of the worst part of SJW/Feminist culture. That whole, "well anyone that doesn't support my views is a lesser human being" blah blah blah, just the smug egotistical crap that drives people deeper into their ignorance.

The thing that really bugs me about him, really makes me undude, is that he has an ends justify the means world view. This is a guy that if he had the Death Note, he'd be doing what Light Yagami did with the same delusions that he was making the world a better place. That alone is the reason I despise the jackass.

The worst part is, I see a lot of myself in him. I have the weird leftist views, lack of real friends, love of nerdy shit (and yeah, I dug his review of Street Sharks), so it's almost like staring at a dark twisted reflection of myself. One that writes people off as subhuman scum instead of trying to encourage them to change.

Errgg... This really let out my innerwalter. Fuck Moviebob

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I thought he was funny, and I miss The Big Picture's comics are weird segments. Hell I miss having video content here full stop.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
LordLundar said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Wrong person. That was James Portnow who writes the stuff for Extra Creditz, calling TB a hypocrite by saying he doesn't disclose sponsorship in his videos when he did. Portnow got a shock when TB called him out on it because Portnow figured TB wouldn't know about it.

Don't get me wrong. As far as I'm concerned Bob took leave of his senses some time ago and became just an awful person as a result. But for accuracy's sake, it wasn't him that did that.
I knew Portnow did it as well but I seem to remember that Moviebob jumped on the opportunity as well. Guess I was misremembering. Side note, what the hell happened to Portnow? I have been liserning to old Co optional podcasts at work (do data entry and it is a great way to hold back the bordem) and the podcast where he was a guest they seemed to get along great. How do you go from that to attacking a guy while he is literly in the middle of a chemo session?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
LordLundar said:
Gizmo1990 said:

I knew Portnow did it as well but I seem to remember that Moviebob jumped on the opportunity as well. Guess I was misremembering. Side note, what the hell happened to Portnow? I have been liserning to old Co optional podcasts at work (do data entry and it is a great way to hold back the bordem) and the podcast where he was a guest they seemed to get along great. How do you go from that to attacking a guy while he is literly in the middle of a chemo session?
Cause if you dont share Bob's worldview, hed rather you be dead. It would make the world better in his eyes.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
IceForce said:
I remember threads like this used to be split about 50/50 back when he was still a contributor here. Now, in this thread, the general sentiment is almost 100% negative. I guess he must've taken many of his fans with him when he left (which explains some of the loss of site traffic).
I don't care about the Game Overthinker, but I was and still am a fan of pretty much all the rest of his work. I don't always agree with him, but if his invective gets to be a bit much, then I solve that problem by disagreeing with the specific thing he said that I find objectionable. Because that's a power I have.

I find a lot of the complaints about him pretty hypocritical, honestly; people saying he's too much of an absolutist while they display absolutism in their arguments, behaving as if that is the only facet of his personality or work. But whatever. If hating him is how people find their catharsis, then, uh, whatever works, I guess. Have fun with all that.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Gizmo1990 said:
Chipman might have as well, I couldn't tell you because hit twitter feed is absolute poison so I stay away from it. As for the side note, I have no idea. TB put out his Twitlonger denouncing current games journalism and Portnow just lost it. The only thing I can think of is that Portnow and the rest of the EC group wanted to retain their consulting connections (they've been pushing that rather heavily before I stopped watching, I imagine it's only gotten worse) so they lashed out at TB.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ahhh Bob...

I'll just say that the only times I ever watched his content was while waiting for new Critical Misses, Zero Punctuations, and threads.

And they were mildly entertaining. Though his movie reviews (which is the only content I bothered with) never really gave you that a good idea of whether you would like it or not. And i have to agree, even his titles were elitist and snobby.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Slice said:
Not that weird given your join date. MovieBob used to do film reviews among other things for The Escapist a while back but left or (more likely) got sacked around the height of all the gamergate stuff. He was a fairly popular fixture here. It's a shame he left but I guess given the way the site's going he's probably actually better off producing content elsewhere.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
LordLundar said:
Gizmo1990 said:

As far as i'm aware, there are no indications that Portnow knew TB was in the middle of a chemo session. TB mentioned that he hadn't seen it previously because he was doing chemo, but I dont think he made any indications that he thought Portnow had choose that time in particular, how would he even know about TBs medical schedule?

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
The sad part is that I'm fairly inclined to agree with moviebob politically, but he's been infected with the virus of "I'm liberal and progressive and therefore people who are not what I perceive to be those things are evil and bad and horrible." But yeah, there have been long breaks on screwattack before when I followed him more closely. The Big Picture was pretty good, but none of his other shows really struck me as much. I kind of got out of the moviebob camp around the time of Man of Steel when he gave it a mildly positive review, while I thought it was one of the worst things I had seen in a theater. I just don't understand the left wing "if you don't agree with me, then you are the enemy." I know staunchly conservative religious types have that ideology, but it makes no sense coming from the other end, too. I understand the right is just plain crazy, but the left is so bitter and childish sometimes.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
If we could have his content without having to deal with him he'd be tolerable.
Bob fails the "Sausage test" in that when I see what goes on behind the scenes I don't want to associate with him.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
When Chipman was talking about some long-ago kaiju movie, or minutiae of comic book backstory lore, or the development of major video game icons, he could be fascinating.

At the time he left the Escapist, he was also well on his way to becoming a genuine hate-monger. And I do not use that term lightly.

It wasn't even just about politics, per se, though there were certainly some uncomfortable examples there. He was increasingly incapable of reviewing a movie without expressing narrow and venomous contempt for a large group of people- the teenagers who might dare to enjoy a YA franchise, the testosterone junkies who line up for the latest offering in an action franchise. Sometimes even the audience for a movie that he was allegedly giving a positive review- his X-Men: Days of Future Past review was in spectacularly poor form. Individual actors, writers, or directors weren't enough; anyone tangentially involved in something that rubbed him the wrong way became sub-human.

I essentially called him out on his interpreting Gone Girl as a scathing denunciation of modern marriage as a sham, pointing out that the author of the book it was based on was an apparently happily married mother of two (one who had shared the drafts of her book with her husband as she wrote, no less). Next thing I knew, he was referring to the novel (along with Fight Club and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) as "questionable source material".

...Yeah. Books that the plebs have enjoyed that got turned into successful movies. Shameful.

In some ways, the worst thing was the kerfuffle about Kevin Smith. After months of hurling vitriol at the guy, Bob finally did an episode examining his career, admitted *why* he was so frustrated with its recent turns, and conceded that when all was said and done he probably wasn't quite as awful as he had been making him out to be.

Bob was (and presumably is) not a stupid guy; he was capable of examining why and when certain things brought out such extreme reactions in him, and recognizing in the process when it wasn't necessarily appropriate, or even accurate.

He just couldn't be troubled to do that, nine times out of ten.

I haven't really followed his career much since the departure. He seems to be doing okay, if not on anything like the plane of someone like Jim Sterling. I don't wish him ill.

I just continue to think that, one day, he's going to be like the forty year old with chemically damaged hair, half his hearing, and piercings in unfortunate places who suddenly realizes that he doesn't even like punk rock and has divested himself of everyone and everything that wasn't part of the scene.