Has MovieBob been fired from ScrewAttack?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
MovieBob cannot be mentioned, it seems, without the thread spiralling into a hate session.

A little ironic, given that the most commonly recurring complaint about the guy is that he couldn't keep his distaste for people out of unrelated topics.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Silvanus said:
MovieBob cannot be mentioned, it seems, without the thread spiralling into a hate session.

A little ironic, given that the most commonly recurring complaint about the guy is that he couldn't keep his distaste for people out of unrelated topics.
Just proof that you reap what you sow.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
The Bucket said:
Gizmo1990 said:
LordLundar said:
Gizmo1990 said:
You have no idea. At one point he starting trashing Totalbiscuit on Twiiter, timing his tweets to coinside with one of Tb's chemo treatments so that he would be unable to defend himself. I liked his content and tolarated his personality but when this happened. I just stopped watching his stuff completly.
Wrong person. That was James Portnow who writes the stuff for Extra Creditz, calling TB a hypocrite by saying he doesn't disclose sponsorship in his videos when he did. Portnow got a shock when TB called him out on it because Portnow figured TB wouldn't know about it.

Don't get me wrong. As far as I'm concerned Bob took leave of his senses some time ago and became just an awful person as a result. But for accuracy's sake, it wasn't him that did that.
I knew Portnow did it as well but I seem to remember that Moviebob jumped on the opportunity as well. Guess I was misremembering. Side note, what the hell happened to Portnow? I have been liserning to old Co optional podcasts at work (do data entry and it is a great way to hold back the bordem) and the podcast where he was a guest they seemed to get along great. How do you go from that to attacking a guy while he is literly in the middle of a chemo session?
As far as i'm aware, there are no indications that Portnow knew TB was in the middle of a chemo session. TB mentioned that he hadn't seen it previously because he was doing chemo, but I dont think he made any indications that he thought Portnow had choose that time in particular, how would he even know about TBs medical schedule?
Despite my disagreements with some of the things Portnow says I am still willing to give him the benafit of the doubt but every time TB has been in for chemo he has left a tweet saying he will not be around for a few days because of it. Very possable he did not know, but also not impossable that he knew and did it anyway.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
the silence said:
More to the point, it's indicative that people are unable or unwilling to adopt the standards they hold others to.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Slice said:
Battenberg said:
Slice said:
Is it weird that I have no idea who this person is? Youtube "celebrity" I assume?
Not that weird given your join date. MovieBob used to do film reviews among other things for The Escapist a while back but left or (more likely) got sacked around the height of all the gamergate stuff. He was a fairly popular fixture here. It's a shame he left but I guess given the way the site's going he's probably actually better off producing content elsewhere.
I guess, although it sounds like the quality content he had to offer wasn't worth dealing with his prima donna nature.
Each to their own although I think it's fair to say some people are exaggerating certain traits in this thread betond what is accurate. I assume his content is still up here somewhere if you're curious/ want to see what the fuss is about.

Personally I quite liked his reviewing style. While he had a habit of going off topic at times his actual movie reviews were more descriptive and less pretentious than many other film critics. Plus his content always provoked debate which is nothing but beneficial for a site like this.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
DudeistBelieve said:
The worst part is, I see a lot of myself in him. I have the weird leftist views, lack of real friends, love of nerdy shit (and yeah, I dug his review of Street Sharks), so it's almost like staring at a dark twisted reflection of myself. One that writes people off as subhuman scum instead of trying to encourage them to change.
This is what annoyed me the most about him. I actually share a lot of his political beliefs and I almost feel like a worse person for it. People like him do more to tarnish what they believe in than make any progress of convincing others to share their position.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Wait wait wait.........

You're telling me people still care about MovieBob? Mr. "I Can't Review Anything Without Forcing My Personal Political Beliefs Upon The Audience While Judging The Thing I'm Reviewing Based Upon Said Personal Political Beliefs"?

Wow, that's a long name. :p
I couldn't agree more. There is a difference between reviewing games and using games as an excuse to express your deep desire to be seen as a modern liberal progressive.

The guy can't go 5 minutes without complaining that women aren't in games and if they are they are too attractive. Although it seems to be working for him! as I hear that he's a real hit with the ladies.

I'm not a fan of Bob, his opinions or his content. I think he's got the right to voice them and all that, but I'd be happy if he'd just do it on websites I don't frequent.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I think Bob is an interesting guy who often has interesting things to say. Its precisely because of this that its such a shame that Bob can often be so extreme in his opinion that he invalidates his own viewpoints.

Being against changing the Mass effect ending was fine but Bob went above and beyond, proudly proclaiming he never played mass effect but that he was still fully capable of rendering and that the people who hated the ending were a downright danger to the growth of the industry. All while missing the point of why those people were angry.

Being against gamergate is fine but calling everyone involved in it subhumans against whom there are no bad tactics is just nasty on his part. Things like that makes it hard to take Bob's opinion very seriously and yet he keeps acting like he alone is right.

There is also something another reviewer once said about him. According to Bob people can't ever just be wrong. They are often ''dangerous'' or sub human, or whatever.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Silvanus said:

Unfortunately, there is a qualifier in there that completely removes the irony from the situation. Namely the word, "unrelated." I think discussing MovieBob in his entirety on a thread about MovieBob and speculating whether or not he is still employed by Screw Attack is perfectly reasonable and expected.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Silvanus said:
the silence said:
More to the point, it's indicative that people are unable or unwilling to adopt the standards they hold others to.
And what standard would that be? The standard that you should never dislike anyone for their actions and attitudes? Because that's not at all the standard people are holding him to. If not, then what? The posts in this thread aren't at all similar to the reasons why people dislike MovieBob.

As should be clear by all the posts in this thread, some from people who are even align with him politically on many issues, the reason many people find him absolutely intolerable is due to him having an extremely low threshold of dissent before he considers them sub-human scum. Now, everyone has some kind of threshold; I wouldn't expect people to tolerate those who think we should hang people for their skin color, or executing people for the gods they worship, and pretty much everyone has some kind of pet issue that will act as a deal breaker, but, good lord, Bob just takes it to a whole other level. He seems completely unable empathize with anyone who even slightly disagrees. He's basically the poster child for that age old paradox of "tolerance for all, except all those other scumbags who think differently".
There's a reason why the opinion here is all but unanimous.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
DudeistBelieve said:
The worst part is, I see a lot of myself in him. I have the weird leftist views, lack of real friends, love of nerdy shit (and yeah, I dug his review of Street Sharks), so it's almost like staring at a dark twisted reflection of myself. One that writes people off as subhuman scum instead of trying to encourage them to change.
This is what annoyed me the most about him. I actually share a lot of his political beliefs and I almost feel like a worse person for it. People like him do more to tarnish what they believe in than make any progress of convincing others to share their position.
Right?!?! It's like he's walked out of Plato's cave, saw the real world, and instead of trying to help people still afraid to leave the cave, he wants to blow it up so it collapses on top of him.

It's truly what I despise him for. He's said in the past that he doesn't care about doing the right thing, the right way. That if he has to compromise his own integrity and do something bad to do something good he'd do it. Fuck him and his ends justify the means bullshit.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
MiskWisk said:
Unfortunately, there is a qualifier in there that completely removes the irony from the situation. Namely the word, "unrelated." I think discussing MovieBob in his entirety on a thread about MovieBob and speculating whether or not he is still employed by Screw Attack is perfectly reasonable and expected.
Well, it's a thread related to MovieBob, sure. But then, MovieBob's commentary usually has some connection with the topic at hand, too; it's just that people don't want him griping about personal dislikes.

FirstNameLastName said:
And what standard would that be? The standard that you should never dislike anyone for their actions and attitudes? Because that's not at all the standard people are holding him to. If not, then what? The posts in this thread aren't at all similar to the reasons why people dislike MovieBob.
The standard of not hammering on personal animosities when the topic isn't how much you like/dislike something.

Criticism is well and good, and healthy; it was just an observation that it seems to reach a fever pitch around this one man. So very many people feeling the need to begin and end comments with how very much they hate him and the horse he rode in on, even though the topic is not about anything he's done, just about whether or not he still works somewhere.

FirstNameLastName said:
As should be clear by all the posts in this thread, some from people who are even align with him politically on many issues, the reason many people find him absolutely intolerable is due to him having an extremely low threshold of dissent before he considers them sub-human scum. Now, everyone has some kind of threshold; I wouldn't expect people to tolerate those who think we should hang people for their skin color, or executing people for the gods they worship, and pretty much everyone has some kind of pet issue that will act as a deal breaker, but, good lord, Bob just takes it to a whole other level. He seems completely unable empathize with anyone who even slightly disagrees. He's basically the poster child for that age old paradox of "tolerance for all, except all those other scumbags who think differently".
There's a reason why the opinion here is all but unanimous.
Honestly, I've seen a lot worse (and frequently) from posters here. That's why, despite my own ambivalence towards the guy, I also think there's a great deal of empty posturing about him.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Phir Milenge said:
Let me chime in as someone who just doesn't care either way, at all. The guy is a raging prick, and what he has to offer is not worth the cost he demands in his prickishness. He has "I invented a new kind of integrated circuit" ego, but "I make video game reviews online, and I'm not the best at my job" production.

That you can point to worse on the internet (who can't? when "Animal crush" is a fucking thing, and people are killing baby dolphins for a selfie?) just reeks of apologism, and I have to ask why.
I'm not apologising for anybody. I'm pointing out the irony involved when every thread with any connection to the man spirals into a mountain of expletive-laden insults, when the main point of criticism is that he cannot contain his personal animosities.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Silvanus said:
Honestly, I've seen a lot worse (and frequently) from posters here. That's why, despite my own ambivalence towards the guy, I also think there's a great deal of empty posturing about him.
The main difference there is, Bob is supposed to be a guy who wants to make his business making content on the internet. You act like an insufferable ass on a forum you get a block or a ban or something, but you try doing it at your job.

It's about being a professional and conducting yourself in a professional manner versus just being someone making dickish comments on the internet.

It's also hard for him to try and hold the moral high ground while calling people subhuman for having a different political view. I mean I don't agree with american gun laws but I at least try and talk to gun owners with some civility.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
I knew Portnow did it as well but I seem to remember that Moviebob jumped on the opportunity as well. Guess I was misremembering. Side note, what the hell happened to Portnow? I have been liserning to old Co optional podcasts at work (do data entry and it is a great way to hold back the bordem) and the podcast where he was a guest they seemed to get along great. How do you go from that to attacking a guy while he is literly in the middle of a chemo session?
He took the Jason Schrier approach and through TB in the pro-GG camp for even saying GG had some good points. Even though TB remained neutral on the matter due to a personal friend of his getting legit harassed by a pro-GG prominent figure. It backfired because it was classless. It was well known that TB was going through chemo so James probably couldn't reach him privately to discuss the matter. He chose to do it publicly and fucked up because he was factually wrong.

He's still working on Extra Credits though they did lose a chunk of fans a while back when they made a video about what makes a game, "a game" and followed up with a video telling their audience they're wrong for disagreeing with them. The video came out when indie walking simulators with no fail states started winning GOTY awards, so it was basically in defense one genre of game.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Silvanus said:
Phir Milenge said:
Let me chime in as someone who just doesn't care either way, at all. The guy is a raging prick, and what he has to offer is not worth the cost he demands in his prickishness. He has "I invented a new kind of integrated circuit" ego, but "I make video game reviews online, and I'm not the best at my job" production.

That you can point to worse on the internet (who can't? when "Animal crush" is a fucking thing, and people are killing baby dolphins for a selfie?) just reeks of apologism, and I have to ask why.
I'm not apologising for anybody. I'm pointing out the irony involved when every thread with any connection to the man spirals into a mountain of expletive-laden insults, when the main point of criticism is that he cannot contain his personal animosities.
Maybe that's some people's main point, but not mine, nor does it really seem to the main point of any majority here. My main reason for disliking him is not the he can't keep his politics to himself, but that he has a really obnoxious "you're either with me, or you're a ****" type of approach to it. The way that he frequently can't keep his intolerance to himself doesn't help, but it's not my issue with him.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Roboshi said:
The main difference there is, Bob is supposed to be a guy who wants to make his business making content on the internet. You act like an insufferable ass on a forum you get a block or a ban or something, but you try doing it at your job.

It's about being a professional and conducting yourself in a professional manner versus just being someone making dickish comments on the internet.
There are different expectations, I suppose. I just would have expected that if people considered it such terrible behaviour, they wouldn't engage in it.

FirstNameLastName said:
Maybe that's some people's main point, but not mine, nor does it really seem to the main point of any majority here. My main reason for disliking him is not the he can't keep his politics to himself, but that he has a really obnoxious "you're either with me, or you're a ****" type of approach to it. The way that he frequently can't keep his intolerance to himself doesn't help, but it's not my issue with him.
Fair enough. Suffice it to say, it's a very common line of criticism. It's come up several times in this thread already.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Silvanus said:
Well nobody here that I've seen have demonized an entire group of people, called them the scum of the Earth, and hope for their death based on what Bob's said, so I'd say there is a noticeable gulf between Bob and his critics. He really is just that bad and no amount of apologism is going to change that.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
crimson5pheonix said:
Well nobody here that I've seen have demonized an entire group of people, called them the scum of the Earth, and hope for their death based on what Bob's said, so I'd say there is a noticeable gulf between Bob and his critics.
Demonising groups of people is remarkably common, particularly down in R&P. That's kind of beside the point, though, which was how the conversation inevitably swings in that direction (and hard), regardless of the relevance to the topic.

crimson5pheonix said:
He really is just that bad and no amount of apologism is going to change that.
Once again: I am not apologising for him. I can offer two cents on the conduct of other forum-goers without being accused of supporting someone I've not said anything supportive of. Let's not start accusing eachother because we're not being loud enough in our condemnations.