Has NASA Made First Contact?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Meh, I find it far more likely that any intelligent extra terrestrial race would avoid contact with us until we at least have the capability to travel beyond our own star system.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
Woo! Non-terrestrial bacteria that will decay the moment it comes in contact with terran genetic material!

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Most likely, it's just something like they've found soemthing that indicates that mars possibly could support some kind of life-form or something.

That or the bacteria thing.... Space-flu...

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Dr. Paine said:
Probably primitive bacteria.

... still awesome.
Give it 5 years, we'll have Predators.

OT: It'll be something to keep my eye on, maybe they found like a Green Alien, who knows...

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Uber Waddles said:
Theres no hard proof that life can exist anywhere else in the universe, other then "we live on Earth, and thats a planet! Life on teh marz!". And while its nice to dream, until we actually find hard evidence of other life (and Im not talking about microbes), Ill have to wave the "You're not a scientist, don't pretend like you are because you watched a special on Discovery Channel" flag.

This announcement could be anything. Plans to start working on a warp drive (which I expect would end with catastrophic results), announcement that Einstein was wrong and it is possible to travel faster than light speed, a deep space telescope, a planet that's comparable to Earth in location and may hold water... Or something completely stupid thats more than likely a waste of everyones time except for like 4 scientists.

Either way, until I see hard proof that we are not alone in the universe, Im just going to imagine we are. The chances of life occuring is so low, SO many things had to be done, and be done RIGHT, that even the vastness of the universe doesnt yeild anything like Earth.
Your closed-mindedness is the perfect example of why we are not ready. I pity you.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
ryai458 said:
Sorry Escapist but a user already beat you to it, they are probably sad you stole their thread.
News room =/= Forums

and they dont take it kindly on people trying to "inform" them about being "beaten to the news"

they tend to suspend people for doing that

i wonder why they havent done it lately?...

TheColourSociety

Dec 1, 2010
My bet is on it being this:

http://www.astronomy.com/News-Observing/News/2010/11/Cassini%20reveals%20oxygen%20atmosphere%20of%20Saturn%20moon%20Rhea.aspx

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope we've discovered martian kittens, because that would be awesome.

tojawi

Nov 22, 2010
furmaster3000 said:
Hope so!
That would also mean we'd have definite proof that religion is kinda bogus. . .
Actually.. not really. there's nothing in the bible that says God couldn't make more sentient species other than humans. Like really, I don't exactly see how it could disprove religion at all... enlighten me?

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Those NASA people are such teasers! I doubt it will be something mindblowing (at least I tell myself that so I won't be disappointed), just a step on the way. I do believe in Extraterestrial beings, but I'm not sure if I we'll ever find them. I'd say chances are better they find us than vice versa.

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
Dr. Paine said:

... still awesome.
if that would be the case then i would be like "suck it creationists!!! roflcoper goes failfailfail"

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Lem0nade Inlay said:
JWAN said:
Lem0nade Inlay said:
Super primitive bacteria.

It's still awesome!
can you post a link or something?
No, no. That's just my guess :p Sorry!
damnit the website did it to me again, I thought I was looking at the first post on the first page.

Midterms have fucked my brain.
(sorry)

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
stinkychops said:
Duffeknol said:
Suki the Cat said:
Duffeknol said:
Dr. Paine said:
Not awesome, still a giant leap.
I'm among the unfortunate that just cannot get interested in such discoveries... I mean, bacteria... Yaaay.... *cough*
Thank goodness not everyone here is a giant nerd.

That one little post of mine has been quoted so many times now with like 'OMG U JUST DONT COMPREHEND SUCH IMPORANTCYYY OMGGGG'
Name calling and childish imitations? I disapprove of you.

I doubt it'll be significant. If it is aliens of any sort, I will be blown away. I don't give a toss whether you are interested, but cool your jets, you chose to post. Your lack of passion is no excuse for hatred.
When my initial post actually included 'it's a giant leap' and then people accuse me of not seeing the 'importance of it', I call that sheer idiocy. Idiocy needs to be mocked. Your objections are noted.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
sheic99 said:
I wonder if it contains instructions to build a machine that appears to do nothing on the outside, but will send a person several thousand light years. Preferably containing Jodie Foster.
Psh, if you don't want her Ill take her :D

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
CaptainCrunch said:
If NASA really found intelligent life, I'm quite certain they wouldn't announce a press conference on their website only (which disappeared from the front page in a day or so), to appear on their streaming video service and cable channel only.

If they found evidence of extraterrestrial bacteria, it would likely be in the form of hydrocarbon gases in the atmosphere of an exoplanet, which does not conclusively prove life exists on other planets - just that it MAY have existed.

Considering the study of exoplanets is based on impossibly small measurements of the brightness of stars, it's a really big leap to say they've found fully-formed life on other worlds.
But, thanks to that IMBECILIC decision by NASA, they've just given every crazy-ass "abductee" and "UFOlogist" out there more credibility than they've ever enjoyed.

It doesn't matter what NASA announces now, we're doomed to listen to schizophrenics masquerading as scientists for MONTHS.

And if they announce nothing important? Well, then that'll just be more "proof" of the "conspiracy."

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
I was ready to post "lolno", and now you got me all exited.

But then again, "slight possibility of bacteria" at best.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Aliens would be cool to meet, considering they 99.99999% would not be evil and invaiderouse nor the little green/grey men types. I'd be cool with it.
If this is real though I just hope they arn't some messed up looking race, sexy aliens or something liek that someone said.
Or if it's just bacteria, we must destroy them cause in 2 billion years they could evolve into a threat.