Has NASA Made First Contact?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Has NASA Made First Contact?

NASA has made a cryptic announcement about a press conference being held on December 2 to reveal a discovery "that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life."

Have you ever wondered how real "first contact" would be made? Hollywood likes the idea of city-sized ships turning up in orbit, usually with ill intent, or sometimes a stealthier approach involving body-doubles and a similar degree of sinister. But the truth is that the whole process will probably be a lot more mundane: an exchange of radio signals followed by bureaucratic deliberations about whether or not it's worth the hassle of trying to make some kind of intergalactic hook-up, and then finally, a press conference.

And a press conference is exactly what we're going to get on Thursday afternoon, according to a rather thin, enigmatic release put out today by the big brains at NASA. "NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life," the U.S. space agency said. "Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe."

We'll have to wait until Thursday to find out what sort of horrific fate awaits us at the hands of our new alien overlords who I, for one, welcome, but unless it involves some combination of giant fighting robots, disguised lizard-people, cookbooks, cool sunglasses and imminent annihilation, I'm going to be disappointed. Whatever it is, the big news will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed online at www.nasa.gov [http://www.nasa.gov].

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
I wonder if it contains instructions to build a machine that appears to do nothing on the outside, but will send a person several thousand light years. Preferably containing Jodie Foster.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Anyone with half a brain would know that there is life out there besides us.

I hope that we have found someone.....question is.....friend or foe?

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Expecting it to probably be that they found a planet sitting in the right spot to possibly support life, or something like that.

Still, it has my attention, and I'll be sure to see if I can catch this conference.

EDIT:

Dr. Paine said:
Probably primitive bacteria.

... still awesome.
Or this.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Duffeknol said:
Dr. Paine said:
Not awesome, still a giant leap.
Yep.

Or it might be just a discovery of a planet that is very likely to support life.

Now, if we've defrosted Charon and found an interstellar gateway... well, I always did want to go into the military, I'd sign for space military xD

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Dr. Paine said:
If that. Probably won't be anything more complex than a collection of amino acids. More precursors of life and such. (No, not Precursors.)

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I suspect it has something to do with a life supporting planet that has been found.

I cannot imagine it is really earth shaking, or the news would have already leaked out.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Probably not actual alien primitive bacteria, so much as coming up with a way that they think they can identify it if they find it.

Apr 28, 2008
Probably just some bacteria. But still, seriously looking forward to this.

I wonder how the people in government feel about cancelling Constellation now.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
If the universe doesn't become like either Star wars or Star Trek in my life time... well.. NASA I will be disapoint

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
The first contact was made ages ago... Just saying...

This is propably bacteria, but i surely hope they will end the hiding of what they already know...
But thats propably the secret space program that has to do that, not NASA...

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
it could be NASA trolling since they're gonna lose their jobs anyway soon. just saying look at it from all sides, they're about to be shut down and only now do they say anything about finding something. it's probably something small anyway and won't lead us to much more, considering we won't be able to get back out there to search since we have no space program in the US and like other countries will tell us. i kind of hope NASA be trollin