Has your house/hometown ever been on TV/Film?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
To keep a long story short, both my hometown (Broughty Ferry, Dundee) and my own house have been on TV.

Specifically as part as this series, Bob Servant Independent.

Here's a link to the first, and so far only episode on BBC iPlayer [http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00wwyrl/Bob_Servant_Independent_Launch_Day/] (It did only start last week)

It even has Brian Cox in it! (the actor, not the ex-D:Ream musician/scientist)

And I'll admit, seeing my hometown, and especially my own house, was extremely surreal. I assume this might be different if you perhaps lived in somewhere like New York, where your home city is shown about once every 3 TV shows!

So I just thought I'd ask, has your hometown, or even like in my case, your home, been on TV? And if so, feel free to talk about the show it was in, how you felt seeing it, and so on.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I live right outside of Atlanta so I see places I recognize in movies and television occasionally. Especially since they started filming a lot of stuff here in recent years.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
They used what is essentially the poshest house in my area for scenes for The Woman in Black.

When he stays with the really rich couple, I think. Anyway, Daniel Radcliffe pretty much set himself up in our local pub for about a week while filming that.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
The setting of 30 minutes or less is Grand Rapids, the city where I live now... Though that isn't my hometown.

Its funny because the driving scenes in that movie make no sense if you know the area. He basically teleports from one side of the city to another back and forth XD

I also used to have to drive by the strip club to get my martial arts class XD

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I live in Lincoln UK, which has actually been used for quite a few things in the past if you count the surrounding area. Lincoln Cathedral stood in for Westminster Abbey at the end of The Da Vinci Code, and Belton House was used in both the film and TV adaptations of Pride and Prejudice. There are a few more but I won't name all of them.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I live in the dead middle of Iowa. Nothing ever escapes into the mainstream media from this cultural void.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Eh... I live in Winston Churchill's constituency, so whenever they have a thing on TV about him, they roll out footage of his rather grotesque statue that's on the green just up the road from where I live.

S'bout it... unless you count London, if then, then all the fucking time... -_-

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
My house was on the news when I was little, our street had a power surge so it was on our regional news, I was waving right at the camera, wish I recorded it now.

I've worked in Cardiff for a while so I've occasionally seen things blocked off for Doctor Who filming, but never actually recognised anywhere when watching it on TV.

Southern Cardiff maybe?

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
When we used to live in Astoria, they filmed a lot over there. The Kaufman Astoria Studios are there. I forget the TV show they were filming, but they'd film a few blocks from us, and sometimes they'd cut off access to whole blocks for filming, so you couldn't park on the street for a few hours.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
Not technically, but I live near the National Guard center where they filmed part of "Bruno". They have an exterior shot of it, and considering how often I drive by that place it's pretty surreal to see it in a major Hollywood film.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
I live in Boulder Colorado, and work a couple of blocks from the Pearl Street Mall where
they did some of the filming for Mork & Mindy. I don't know if they did any of the filming
for the television version of The Stand here, even though Boulder is where it is set.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
My old apartment building in Astoria, Queens was in A Bronx Tale. My nana got in trouble with the film crew because she kept looking out of her blinds to see what was going on (evidently, she called the cops when she saw them filming a scene where one of the characters gets smacked over and over again), ruining their takes.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
There was an episode of Come Dine With Me in Telford the once, predictably they were really chavvy. Apart from that, I've got nothing.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
My hometown? Plenty. Manhattan, Kansas is a pretty big time town. There is the University (Kansas State University), and thus, theres sports (K-State Wildcats), Our football Coach, Bill Snyder [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Snyder] has won numerous "Coach of the year" awards (and had his own Chuck Norris-style jokes about him spawn). We have been in numerous books, movies, and some TV shows (although its usually just as "hometown of main charater". We also appeared in an episode of the Great Food Truck Race [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Food_Truck_Race#Season_2:_2011], where to no ones suprise, the Vegan food truck Seabirds was kicked out of the race[footnote]Basically, the rules of the show are that you have to sell as much food as possible in each city over the course of a weekend. Everyone starts with the same money and will do a challange at the start to give one team an advantage (in our case, one truck got exclusive rights to "Aggieville", the main bar and resturant district were all the college students go) There were 5 trucks, Seabirds (a vegan themed truck), Korillea (Korean BBQ), Hodge Podge (Comfort food/American BBQ), Roxys Grilled Cheese (gourmet grill cheese), and Lime Truck (California Beach). Lime Truck Almost lost because word got around that they joked that they were going to "dumb down" thier menu for our town. Needless to say, we were not amused. They were $15 short of losing to Seabirds here.[/footnote].

My house? Eh, not so much.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
There's a restaurant called Hullabaloo's out in my part of College Station that was on a Food channel show called "Diners, Drive-Ins, Dives".

I've been there before multiple times. They have the best french fries.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I don't think my actual house has been on TV, but apparently the open-air pool was in Skins, and there was some American makeover show that came over and did it up (read: painted it). Fuck knows why, it's an ugly concrete shithole, I don't know why people love it so much. Besides, an open-air pool? In England? The rainy side of England? That's fucking dumb.

That's Clevedon pier. Clevedon is basically Portishead's smaller, prettier neighbour a couple of miles down-river. It was weird seeing that poster, I have a shitload of childhood memories of running up and down that pier.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Never my house directly, but my hometown is fairly popular for some odd reason. Not so much anymore, but aparently Milwaukee was the place to be. No idea why, its just hopelessness and despair in a heartland drowned in cheap beer.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
One lived near Walnut Grove.

That Walnut Grove. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_House_on_the_Prairie_%28TV_series%29]

Don't ask me where the mountains went off to.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
been on the news once or twice and one time had me and my friends stumbling drunk behind the guy who was being interviewed, we saw the camera earlier in the day and a few hours later i saw it, thank god my family wasnt there

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Each summer there a small music festival called T4 on the Beach, there's a Sky1 sitcom called The Café that filmed on the seafront of my hometown, that was pretty recent. I think it's done two series so far.

The old pier was in an episode of something or other in the seventies, I think it was called Shoestring.

We've also got the dubious honour of being John Cleese's hometown. [sarcasm]Oh, how proud he is of us[/sarcasm].