Hasbro: We've Released "Plenty" of Female Star Wars: Rebels Toys - Update

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
ZiggyE said:
Revnak said:
And girls that are interested in Star Wars? Should they not be able to play with toys depicting their favorite female characters from the series? And gives a fuck about what started it. That kind of nonsense is irrelevant. Regardless of whether Hasbro helped create the problem (which they almost certainly did by the way), they are still cowards for not aiming to fix it.
Believe it or not, but there are very few girls out there who are interested in star wars, and the ones that are are even less interested in owning action figures. As for the minority out there who do like star wars and want to own action figures, Hasbro does supply female action figures, a limited supply relative to the limited demand that exists.
Yes, one of the most popular works of science fiction on the planet is not at all popular with half of the fucking species. And all those Princess Leia cosplayers are just fakers after your superior nerd genes. There is undoubtedly a significant demand for such figures among women. Also, there is a significant demand for such figures among men as well. Among boys and girls too. And Hasbro still ought to present people with the opportunity to own figures of any of the characters, even those so unlucky as to be imagined with two X chromosomes.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Revnak said:
And girls that are interested in Star Wars? Should they not be able to play with toys depicting their favorite female characters from the series? And who gives a fuck about what started it. That kind of nonsense is irrelevant. Regardless of whether Hasbro helped create the problem (which they almost certainly did by the way), they are still cowards for not aiming to fix it.
Not many people share your opinion that people have an obligation to improve the world. I certainly don't believe that anybody who doesn't want to do good should be forced to do good. It would be nice, but I feel like I'd be overstepping some boundaries if I said "they should."

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Therumancer said:
ZiggyE said:
[

You both seem so confident in your conclusions. Surely you have some source to back them up?

Also "no one is making them" isn't a valid excuse, I'm afraid, because they are making female figures, and they have to bundle them with male stormtrooper figures to get them to sell in the first place.
Let me get this straight, your trying to make a rebuttal based on the demand that I prove the collector and speculator market exists?
I'm not sure how the fact that collector's markets exist somehow proves that selling female figures at the same rate as male figures is financially viable or that female figures have the same or higher demand that male figures do.

Revnak said:
Yes, one of the most popular works of science fiction on the planet is not at all popular with half of the fucking species. And all those Princess Leia cosplayers are just fakers after your superior nerd genes. There is undoubtedly a significant demand for such figures among women. Also, there is a significant demand for such figures among men as well. Among boys and girls too. And Hasbro still ought to present people with the opportunity to own figures of any of the characters, even those so unlucky as to be imagined with two X chromosomes.
If there is such a high demand, prove it. Hasbro's actions suggest that demand isn't high at all and they probably have the actual sales data to go off of. So where's your proof? Something being popular in science fiction is not proof of action figure demand. Female cosplayers is not proof of action figure demand. Yes, Star Wars is a popular franchise, but it is predominantly popular amongst men and boys. Furthermore, action figures are primarily marketed towards children. Simply because adult women cosplay as Princess Leia doesn't mean their daughters will prefer Leia figures over Barbie and Ken.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
visiblenoise said:
Revnak said:
And girls that are interested in Star Wars? Should they not be able to play with toys depicting their favorite female characters from the series? And who gives a fuck about what started it. That kind of nonsense is irrelevant. Regardless of whether Hasbro helped create the problem (which they almost certainly did by the way), they are still cowards for not aiming to fix it.
Not many people share your opinion that people have an obligation to improve the world. I certainly don't believe that anybody who doesn't want to do good should be forced to do good. It would be nice, but I feel like I'd be overstepping some boundaries if I said "they should."
Doing nothing is no different than doing wrong. Letting problems persist is no different than making them. All this is especially true when you have the power to work towards a solution. The king who looks at the plight of his subjects and does nothing is no better than the king who inflicts plight upon his subjects.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
ZiggyE said:
Therumancer said:
ZiggyE said:
[

You both seem so confident in your conclusions. Surely you have some source to back them up?

Also "no one is making them" isn't a valid excuse, I'm afraid, because they are making female figures, and they have to bundle them with male stormtrooper figures to get them to sell in the first place.
Let me get this straight, your trying to make a rebuttal based on the demand that I prove the collector and speculator market exists?
I'm not sure how the fact that collector's markets exist somehow proves that selling female figures at the same rate as male figures is financially viable or that female figures have the same or higher demand that male figures do.

Revnak said:
If there is such a high demand, prove it. Hasbro's actions suggest that demand isn't high at all and they probably have the actual sales data to go off of. So where's your proof? Something being popular in science fiction is not proof of action figure demand. Female cosplayers is not proof of action figure demand. Yes, Star Wars is a popular franchise, but it is predominantly popular amongst men and boys. Furthermore, action figures are primarily marketed towards children. Simply because adult women cosplay as Princess Leia doesn't mean their daughters will prefer Leia figures over Barbie and Ken.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/americas-favorite-star-wars-movies-and-least-favorite-characters/
Assumedly such trends would hold true for children as well. Certainly, the number of female fans is less than male (5/6 of male audience by these numbers), but that's hardly enough of a difference to justify the general lack of female figures whatsoever. Finally, Hasbro could make the effort and take the risk in marketing these toys to girls as well. Assumedly, Star Wars is popular with them too, given these numbers. It is evidence of their cowardice that they are not willing too, rather than a defense of it.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Revnak said:
visiblenoise said:
Revnak said:
Doing nothing is no different than doing wrong. Letting problems persist is no different than making them. All this is especially true when you have the power to work towards a solution. The king who looks at the plight of his subjects and does nothing is no better than the king who inflicts plight upon his subjects.
Thankfully we have champions of justice like you to demand companies risk financial damages in accordance with your view on gender. I look forward to you holding the fire beneath Hasbro's feet and demanding they release male My Little Pony toys for young boys as well... you gonna get to that soon or is it only Star Wars and young girls you care about?

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Revnak said:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/americas-favorite-star-wars-movies-and-least-favorite-characters/
Assumedly such trends would hold true for children as well. Certainly, the number of female fans is less than male (5/6 of male audience by these numbers), but that's hardly enough of a difference to justify the general lack of female figures whatsoever. Finally, Hasbro could make the effort and take the risk in marketing these toys to girls as well. Assumedly, Star Wars is popular with them too, given these numbers. It is evidence of their cowardice that they are not willing too, rather than a defense of it.
Ah yes, the SurveyMonkey audience with a sample size of ~1000. Truly the most indepth of peer-reviewed studies, that is.

Unfortunately you make a few false assumptions, one of which you acknowledge, the assumption that SurveyMonkey's audience would hold true for the audience of children. This is false, as it is unlikely children could even find the poll on SurveyMonkey, much less navigate it.

Another false assumption is because someone identifies themselves as a fan of star wars, this means they will purchase action figures. Also false.

Yet another false assumption is that these findings can be extrapolated across the entire population. According to this survey, it seems 65% of respondents are fans of Star Wars. Do you believe that 65% of the population in western nations are fans of Star Wars? Of course not. What's more likely is that fans of Star Wars on the internet, both male and female, were more likely to come across this poll and vote on it, as it is in their range of interest.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Revnak said:
visiblenoise said:
Revnak said:
A king's inherent responsibility is to see to a country's people. By comparison, Hasbro has no responsibilities whatsoever. And in my opinion, all the good that any entity that isn't in the public's direct employ might do should be viewed as a pleasant surprise.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Gorrath said:
they need to make not only a case for representation being an ethical right/responsibility but also that that ethical right/responsibility trumps the responsibilities and duties the company has to its investors. I have seen no reasonable argument that this is the case.
You are aware that morality is subjective, right?

If you believe money is more important than social equality, then nothing is going to convince you otherwise.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Revnak said:
Your child doesn't choose what toys you buy them, especially infants or toddlers, but you will hardly ever see a 1 year old boy with a dolly now will you? And I don't see how saying kids should like toys targeted towards both genders conflicts with the idea that you should not push your kids towards one gender's toys.
Not a one year old, but I have had a two year old boy, over to play with my daughter, ask me if it was okay for a boy to play with a Skylander in a dollhouse or if he should just let my daughter play with them in the dollhouse while he played with them at the table.

The same kid was astounded that my daughter owns and loves playing with foam nerf swords because they are "boy toys". (That, she's had since age one - she sleeps with one and says she uses it to fight off bad dreams)

At any rate, that kid didn't just invent the concern that swords are for boys and doll houses are for girls. By age two, he'd gotten the message very clearly from someone. (I just went with a "in this house, anyone can play with any toy") Pretending that there isn't cultural pressure in gendering kids' toys is absurd. In grown up stuff, you see some cross over, but even when the girl is part of the team, she's often not part of the merchandise. Wander into your major retailer and try to find a kid size Avengers shirt with Black Widow on it; or a kid size Guardians of the Galaxy shirt with Gamora on it.

Child merchandising is absurdly gendered.

ZiggyE said:
Another false assumption is because someone identifies themselves as a fan of star wars, this means they will purchase action figures. Also false.
I am a fan of star wars. I don't even know how many action figures I have owned over the course of my life. I would love a female-centric way to introduce my daughters to Star Wars. But I don't expect to see one until The Force Awakens, and maybe not even then.

murrow

Sep 3, 2014
Revnak said:
If no one person's opinion is valuable regarding the choices of corporations, then how can the sum of them be valuable? If no criticism is worthwhile, then how is the sum worthwhile? I am in no way a friend of free market economics, but I can clearly see why it is still important to listen to the consumer's demands, even on the individual level. These criticisms must have some degree of value for their whole to be valuable, so to dismiss them out of hand is foolhardy. Thee is no capitalism without consumers, each one is valuable to this mechanism to some extent, and therefore so too are their complaints. So, when a company decides to ignore any and all complaints, or to not address some in a reasonable manner out of fear or shallow mindedness, it makes capitalism even worse.
Methodologically speaking, you can't prove a trend if you can't show that your examples are representative. No single dot in a graph is viable evidence of the whole. Think of geometry: you need at least two dots to make a line, three to make a plane and so forth. That's a basic principle of empirical quantitative research. The reason for that is because, unless you have a sufficient data, you can't be sure whether that case is a deviation (either a natural one or one caused by faulty research parameters).

As for whether or not such input is 'valuable', well, it depends on the end goal. An individual has limited information on things outside his/her close environment. Sure, his opinion is useful for determining what is best for him, but to generalize his opinion to the whole of society you need proof that his views are indeed the mainstream. Not because they are "false", mind you, but because, without knowing the whole beforehand, you need to double check to see if you got it right. And the more examples you raise, the more robust your results.

In short: a single-person's opinion can be useful. But you need the whole to know that.

Small business tend to do this informally: if one person asks for something they mark it up. If dozens of people come with the same demand, then they know there's public for that product. Bigger corporations generally run the numbers before hand. If they produce X products at Y cost and at Z price, then they need to sell at least W/month to pay the costs and keep a profit margin. If preliminary market research shows that a given demographic has W people and another has 100W, the second one is a much safer bet for that specific product. By choosing the first they risk operating on a loss in case of fluctuations, economic recession, etc. From then on, future adjustments tend to come with equal foresight. (I know that reality is actually much more complex, but I'm unfortunately no economist. Ask one if you need more details.)

As for your remarks about capitalism: actually, it is precisely because of free market defenders' apologia of individual agency that they resort to quantitative empirical analysis. This goes from Adam Smith all the way to Milton Friedman. The rationale is that, given that no ready-made formula is believed to exist that synthetize the behaviours of all human beings a priori, there's no way other than to survey the population in search of likely (if circumstantial) consensi. On the contrary, opposite views (which include anticapitalist ones but also people like Ayn Rand) believe in general theories that universally explain human society, and allegedly allow decision makers to make accurate predictions based on theory alone. A personal anedocte: I once had an economist tell to my face that the only reason we historians have Marxists in our ranks is because we don't know math.

I'm simplifying for brevity's sake, but if you want to delve deeper, see Thomas Sowell's (himself a pro-free market economist) A Conflict of Visions. He discusses the main ideologues on each side.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
cleric of the order said:
That being said this is the Only ERA in history TO MY KNOWLEDGE wherein THE PEOPLE care at all about sexism or at-least the majority the majority.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protofeminism
And to my knowledge there is few if creditable any example of the normalized behavior allowing men to physically abuse their spouse without reason.
Yep, it's okay to whip your wife provided she's given you a reason to.

And you just described Athenian democracy, with the men over 30 comment.
Yep, well done.

But, hey, they you go again, claiming that capitalism and "freedom" justify sexism.
perhaps we might be on a different wave lengths but just to be sure in the previous discussion with me used sexism as if it was a violent act of repression.
And no we are applying it to the commercial practices of a company that likely does not exclude women, if at worst by rule of law. While bashing the stupid jingoistic American catch phrases.
Oh yes, I forgot, things are either black or white. There's no such thing as a spectrum...

Companies may be legally entitled to do this, it may even be the most profitable choice (though probably not), but neither of those things mean that it's right.
Business it the job of preying on people's vices, nothing about it has ever been right but in a philosophical sense does it make it wrong ever?
Yes.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Belaam said:
Revnak said:
At any rate, that kid didn't just invent the concern that swords are for boys and doll houses are for girls. By age two, he'd gotten the message very clearly from someone. (I just went with a "in this house, anyone can play with any toy") Pretending that there isn't cultural pressure in gendering kids' toys is absurd. In grown up stuff, you see some cross over, but even when the girl is part of the team, she's often not part of the merchandise. Wander into your major retailer and try to find a kid size Avengers shirt with Black Widow on it; or a kid size Guardians of the Galaxy shirt with Gamora on it.

Child merchandising is absurdly gendered.
"Boy toys" and "girl toys" exist and available for purchase for either gender. But it sounds like you're saying that kid sized Avengers shirts with Black Widown or kid sized GotG shirts with Gamora don't exist and can't be purchased.
You're comparing items that exist that can be bought by anyone to items that don't exist. One is some cultural bullshit that ignorant parents pound into their kids and the other is an item straight up not existing.

With an understanding parent, at any time, a child can buy a toy that's "meant for" a girl or a boy. But a non-existant product...not so much. Sounds like you should talk to the shirt manufacturers and retail stores about that. Hasbro has done their duty to sell female Star Wars figures.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Maze1125 said:
If you believe money is more important than social equality, then nothing is going to convince you otherwise.
And then there are those of us who think you're making light of actual social inequalities to suggest this is one of them.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Maze1125 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protofeminism
The fun thing is statement about the majority still holds true. though I have to wonder why didn't you just lead off with this.
Plato, (not touching the Islamic section, don't know enough off hand to make a judgment), oh heavens the post black death rebellion, that's rather large as a stretch.
post enlightenment is a bit wonky, no more then the persons that penned this page, ghastly business that. Like any gender nonsense.

Yep, it's okay to whip your wife provided she's given you a reason to.
And if I am not wrong there were ways the wife could cause a man harm he he failed his duties. Woe betide a man that was abused by his wife. People are fucking brutal man.
And you just described Athenian democracy, with the men over 30 comment.
Yep, well done.
thanks I've been studying

Oh yes, I forgot, things are either black or white. There's no such thing as a spectrum...
Nah I was just remarking on the absurdity.
I like the absurd, when it doesn't try to take itself seriously.

Business it the job of preying on people's vices, nothing about it has ever been right but in a philosophical sense does it make it wrong ever?
Yes.
But peoples vices will exist.
The expansion of vice is a product of our expanded civilization and the ability we have had to be idle as we no longer need to make our own tools and hunt of the land.
at what point does simply harnessing the feed back loop that had already existed (more x mean more chance of survival = good) and applying it to the civilization that provides it room to grow.
In this, the desire exists and is the problem, not the loop that it has created.
In a sense this conversation is under the same principles of that selfsame feedback loop.
I am here because I wish for stimuli and you the same. (for whatever reason)
All the rest is playing dress up with unconscious symbols and thoughts is a dangerous as for a fish biting a line.
But let me get this straight we march from men fucking the shit out of women.
To a bunch of time wasted arguing over a bunch of toy figures.
Leaps and bounds i guess.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Maze1125 said:
You are aware that morality is subjective, right?
...well damn. Somebody get on the horn to the philosophy department. Tell them that they can stop debating. Somebody on the internet has decided that morality is subjective, so by God, it must be all there is to it. :p

Seriously, you are aware that there are competing theories, right? I mean, Moral Realism is a thing. It's a real philosophical position that reasonably serious people vigorously defend.

Heck, some people would go as far as to argue that morality is not only not subjective, but it's something that can be empirically measured (most famously Steven Pinker and Sam Harris). Admittedly, those people are wrong (and generally really bad at philosophy to boot), but the fact that they're even capable of reaching this specific type of error ought to indicate to you that the debate over whether morality is objective or subjective is hardly a settled one.

[/rant]

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
visiblenoise said:
Revnak said:
visiblenoise said:
Revnak said:
A king's inherent responsibility is to see to a country's people. By comparison, Hasbro has no responsibilities whatsoever. And in my opinion, all the good that any entity that isn't in the public's direct employ might do should be viewed as a pleasant surprise.
Historically, a king had responsibility to no one, and was restrained by fear of revolt alone. While our capitalist overlords may not possess that restraint, they likewise have little responsibility, regardless of appeals to stockholders or government oversight. Ultimately, their responsibility is based solely on their ability to act, not some agreement that they will do so on their part.

I can respect a pessimistic outlook like that, but I don't agree. If we view all good actions as simply a pleasant surprise, certainly, our own lives will be easier, but the lives of the whole will be worse, and progress will be strained. As a compromise, I would argue that while we should demand better, we should expect little. People will fail, and do not hold it against them, but still push them to succeed.

voleary said:
Revnak said:
If no one person's opinion is valuable regarding the choices of corporations, then how can the sum of them be valuable? If no criticism is worthwhile, then how is the sum worthwhile? I am in no way a friend of free market economics, but I can clearly see why it is still important to listen to the consumer's demands, even on the individual level. These criticisms must have some degree of value for their whole to be valuable, so to dismiss them out of hand is foolhardy. Thee is no capitalism without consumers, each one is valuable to this mechanism to some extent, and therefore so too are their complaints. So, when a company decides to ignore any and all complaints, or to not address some in a reasonable manner out of fear or shallow mindedness, it makes capitalism even worse.
Methodologically speaking, you can't prove a trend if you can't show that your examples are representative. No single dot in a graph is viable evidence of the whole. Think of geometry: you need at least two dots to make a line, three to make a plane and so forth. That's a basic principle of empirical quantitative research. The reason for that is because, unless you have a sufficient data, you can't be sure whether that case is a deviation (either a natural one or one caused by faulty research parameters).
True, but the sum of nothings remains nothing, even an infinite one (I think. Listen, I haven't taken any classes regarding imaginary numbers yet, so I can't be certain. Or any much of an stuff related to Euler. Also, infinitely small does not necessarily mean nonexistent. I'm not falling for a xeno's paradox here.). If no opinion has worth, then no sum of opinions has worth. If any opinion has worth, then why dismiss all individual opinions, as some among them may have worth?

As for whether or not such input is 'valuable', well, it depends on the end goal. An individual has limited information on things outside his/her close environment. Sure, his opinion is useful for determining what is best for him, but to generalize his opinion to the whole of society you need proof that his views are indeed the mainstream. Not because they are "false", mind you, but because, without knowing the whole beforehand, you need to double check to see if you got it right. And the more examples you raise, the more robust your results.

In short: a single-person's opinion can be useful. But you need the whole to know that.
Certainly, an individual's input may be seen as more important when viewed in light of the whole, but that is all the more reason to listen to every voice, rather than simply ignore individuals and wait until you get polls. After all, there is a significant value in letters to congressmen, and this is because it allows them to see why people want things, rather than simply whether or not they do, or how much they are wanted. Also, I would argue that the ideas of the individual can still be valuable, not as a measure of their representativeness, but as a measure of their righteousness.

Small business tend to do this informally: if one person asks for something they mark it up. If dozens of people come with the same demand, then they know there's public for that product. Bigger corporations generally run the numbers before hand. If they produce X products at Y cost and at Z price, then they need to sell at least W/month to pay the costs and keep a profit margin. If preliminary market research shows that a given demographic has W people and another has 100W, the second one is a much safer bet for that specific product. By choosing the first they risk operating on a loss in case of fluctuations, economic recession, etc. From then on, future adjustments tend to come with equal foresight. (I know that reality is actually much more complex, but I'm unfortunately no economist. Ask one if you need more details.)
Ideally, yes, that would work, but in practice they just look at the numbers they already got from last week, or the numbers their competition is getting, and they base their evaluations on that. This is why we get millions of Ubisoft-esque open world games, or all the CoD-likes.

As for your remarks about capitalism: actually, it is precisely because of free market defenders' apologia of individual agency that they resort to quantitative empirical analysis. This goes from Adam Smith all the way to Milton Friedman. The rationale is that, given that no ready-made formula is believed to exist that synthetize the behaviours of all human beings a priori, there's no way other than to survey the population in search of likely (if circumstantial) consensi. On the contrary, opposite views (which include anticapitalist ones but also people like Ayn Rand) believe in general theories that universally explain human society, and allegedly allow decision makers to make accurate predictions based on theory alone. A personal anedocte: I once had an economist tell to my face that the only reason we historians have Marxists in our ranks is because we don't know math.

I'm simplifying for brevity's sake, but if you want to delve deeper, see Thomas Sowell's (himself a pro-free market economist) A Conflict of Visions. He discusses the main ideologues on each side.
The problem is that such surveys and empirical analysis ultimately relies on a stationary society, given the way they are actually carried out. And sometimes, relying on rationally and empirically justifiable theory to make a projection is the only way to actually make things better for the common man.

Also, given the number of far left mathematicians I am familiar with (one day including myself), I definitely disagree with that economist. Especially considering the faulty mathematics that one would have to employ to justify much of modern economic conditions.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Revnak said:
visiblenoise said:
Revnak said:
visiblenoise said:
Revnak said:
Historically, a king had responsibility to no one, and was restrained by fear of revolt alone. While our capitalist overlords may not possess that restraint, they likewise have little responsibility, regardless of appeals to stockholders or government oversight. Ultimately, their responsibility is based solely on their ability to act, not some agreement that they will do so on their part.

I can respect a pessimistic outlook like that, but I don't agree. If we view all good actions as simply a pleasant surprise, certainly, our own lives will be easier, but the lives of the whole will be worse, and progress will be strained. As a compromise, I would argue that while we should demand better, we should expect little. People will fail, and do not hold it against them, but still push them to succeed.
Are they not succeeding? They're still in business, presumably even profiting (I don't know, I don't care). That's what Hasbro exists for - to take advantage of some market demand. As long as the business they run is honest, everything ought to be fair game.

I do think there is something to be admired in what you're saying, but it just seems a bit...authoritarian. Progress will happen regardless of who tries to push it along.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
DrOswald said:
"Leia isn't important" snip
Whoa whoa whoa....you did NOT just go there!

I'm sorry, but as a long-time Star Wars fan I simply cannot let this slide:

-In the radio dramatization of A New Hope there's an extra scene on the planet Raltiir where Leia successfully bluffs Darth Vader.

-She was the one that transferred the Death Star plans to R2-D2, setting the events in motion that would lead to its eventual destruction.

-She shot an Imperial Stormtrooper immediately prior to being captured.

-She withstood all Imperial attempts at making her reveal the Rebel base, including a full-on torture session by Vader and the threat of her homeworld's destruction by Tarkin (which he went through with anyway because he's an evil bastard).

-She provided covering fire for Luke during the grappling hook scene, even managing to shoot a Stormtrooper with her eyes closed!

-She bravely manned her post on Hoth even as Imperial troops were storming the base to coordinate the evacuation of the last transports.

-She more than held her own during the running firefight to escape Cloud City.

-If Leia hadn't heard Luke's call for help via the Force, he would have died or been captured.

-She killed Jabba the Hutt with just a chain and her bare hands. She was also the one that pointed the sail barge's guns at itself so Luke could destroy it.

-She survived an extremely dangerous speeder bike chase on Endor and overcame an Imperial ambush (with the help of Wicket the Ewok).

-She gunned down a Stormtrooper that had cornered herself and Han, even while being wounded in the shoulder.

And that's just the official canon. I'm not even getting into her accomplishments of the "Legends" EU, including raising a family, becoming the New Republic's head of state, and eventually learning the ways of the Jedi like her brother. Frankly, it boggles my mind that Disney wasn't even considering making toys of such an influential character in the Star Wars saga.

...Ahhh, that was fun. Been a while since I went all nerd-lore like that.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
visiblenoise said:
Revnak said:
visiblenoise said:
Revnak said:
visiblenoise said:
Revnak said:

Are they not succeeding? They're still in business, presumably even profiting (I don't know, I don't care). That's what Hasbro exists for - to take advantage of some market demand. As long as the business they run is honest, everything ought to be fair game.

I do think there is something to be admired in what you're saying, but it just seems a bit...authoritarian. Progress will happen regardless of who tries to push it along.
Uh, no. I was talking about a moral failure there. And I was speaking in general at that point, not just about Hasbro.

Authoritarian requires that I support power structures and the like. I don't. I am extremely far from authoritarian. I would maybe accept radical or extreme. Maybe even impossible to actually live by. And no, progress does not simply happen. The world isn't just going to get better. History is not some path going ever upwards towards a brighter tomorrow. We have to make the future a better place, we can't just assume it will be.