"Hatred" Reveal Trailer. Or as I like to call it, "The Next Big Controversy"

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
WhiteNachos said:
Unless these people also complained about Saints Row they have no right to complain. Let's cut the pretense, most people who have played a sandbox crime game have gone on rampages before, and that's what this game is "GTA rampage the game". That they can be OK with that but freak out over this is hypocritical.

The only difference between the two is that this game requires you to kill civilians while most of the time the sandbox games only force you to kill cops (but sometimes there's challenges that require you to kill civilians to reach 100%).
I was afraid I would be accused of talking down to people as if they were children. That someone might criticise the patronising tone I chose to describe a readily apparent concept for being unhelpful. And yet, here you are.

You, kind sir or lady, are a prime example for someone who utterly failed to grasp the point I was making. I'm not entirely sure if I'm able to express it anymore clearly, especially since your second paragraph shows that you acknowledge the palpable difference in tone, presentation, intent, and therefore context of the games you mentioned.

Maybe I shouldn't have presented it as a dichotomy, i.e. juxtaposing the most easily discernible examples to illustrate my point. Allow me to qualify my examples by adding that they were intended for gamesOr any other given medium. that have a certain grounding in reality, something aiming for a tone that might be described as serious.
Comedies, in contrast, get away with the most outrageous things by virtue of being, you know, comedies. Tongue-in-cheek. Not serious. The Saints Row series, the first one aside, is presented in a comedic context. Thus there is no hypocrisy involved.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't know if this has been posted. Forgive me if it has, but apparently, these guys are neo-nazis: http://www.playerattack.co.uk/news/2014/10/17/hatred-is-the-neo-nazi-hate-crime-of-video-games/

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Wow, people who insist that media doesn't affect behavior would have a hard time explaining comments like this.

And like I said in my previous post, it's strange that people are finding this ''hard to take seriously'' or ''trying too hard to be edgy'' or whatever. You only need to look at snippets of released ''manifestos'' from real-life killers who did the same thing to see the same kind of self-righteous, nihilistic justifications for hating people and society.

I'm curious about what Jim Sterling thinks of the trailer, seeing as he insisted that gamers aren't desensitized to violence.

xPixelatedx said:
If you think GTA is indicative of reality what so ever then there is no point in going into this discussion any further.
I suspect WhiteNachos' point isn't whether or not it ''is indicative of reality'', it's whether or not it resonates with violent individuals or makes the idea of doing violent things seem attractive.
As much as I believe this is in poor taste, I don't believe someone playing a violent game (including this) will make them a violent person at all. There are a great many people who do believe that though, and the purpose of this game seems to entierly be to get a rile out of them, that's my problem with it.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
But no, the game looks irredeemable.
Unless its a deconstruction of the attitude of someone going on a spree killing, like Spec Ops did with military shooters. I doubt it though it seemed to be taking itself seriously.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
it's pretty cheesy tbh. hasn't really captured the essence of a man ready to go mow down civilians imo.

let it pass. if it turns out to be good then play it, if not let it disappear into the void of the Steam marketplace.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
This game looks as if it was made precisely to justify what the tabloids have always said about video games.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Fappy said:
Looks stupid as shit, honestly. Imo, the only way a game like this can work is with a serious sense of self-awareness.
JagermanXcell said:
I hope it garners "look at how silly this is" press than anything actually controversial.
Antonio Scott said:
I find it kinda stupid how people are upset at this tbh.
ProfMcStevie said:
Looks boring as shit
Bombiz said:
Gameplay look boring as fuck.
xPixelatedx said:
This seems more "Columbine", and done so entierly with a straight face.
RedDeadFred said:
I can't take this crap seriously.
FriesWithThat said:
this looks like absolute trash with no sense of tact.
Wow, people who insist that media doesn't affect behavior would have a hard time explaining comments like this.

And like I said in my previous post, it's strange that people are finding this ''hard to take seriously'' or ''trying too hard to be edgy'' or whatever. You only need to look at snippets of released ''manifestos'' from real-life killers who did the same thing to see the same kind of self-righteous, nihilistic justifications for hating people and society.

I'm curious about what Jim Sterling thinks of the trailer, seeing as he insisted that gamers aren't desensitized to violence.

xPixelatedx said:
If you think GTA is indicative of reality what so ever then there is no point in going into this discussion any further.
I suspect WhiteNachos' point isn't whether or not it ''is indicative of reality'', it's whether or not it resonates with violent individuals or makes the idea of doing violent things seem attractive.
I find it interesting that you like the idea of killing unarmed civilians while they beg for mercy.

I'm sorry but you can't automaticly assume that I'm "desensitized" to violence just because I said the game looks boring as fuck.

It's like saying "you didn't like gone home? You must be a homophobic." It just doesn't make sense.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Oh wow, maybe I would have been into this if I were still twelve and in a `hating the world` phase.

Though, I'm now going to mentally call that character `NotImportant`.
I did just read an interview where the guy said he was making this as a change from games being `too colourful`. Oh, yeah, games are waaaay too happy and colourful.

To be honest, it looks like it was made to drum up controversy. I'll give it a miss.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:
I saw cops in the trailer.

And you're missing my point, what if it really was a serial killer thing where you had to go on the run from the law rather than just go home. There's potential here.

And killing for fun describes the multiplayer in basically every FPS ever made.
I saw cops getting their asses killed

the game didn't depict the cops as any real danger. if anything they where just one more thing to shoot. and in a multiplier fps people actually try to shoot/fight back. Sometimes with devastating results.

And Gone Home also has potential. Doesn't change what most people think of it though.
You honestly think the cops aren't going to shoot back?

I'd say the odds of that happening are about 0.
eh. Still think I saw a flash game of something like this some where. I guess I don't see what the big deal is. another controversy game, woopie.
t Do you honestly watch that trailer and think the cops are any threat at all? they have pistols against a guy with an AK-47 who doesn't give a shit.
The cops firing back is the equivalent to firefighter trying to tack out a forest/wild fire with min-water guns. ain't gonna do shit.
It's a trailer, it's not a gameplay video. I don't remember any tanks in GTA trailers but if you get the maximum wanted level you have tanks firing at you.
eh. I still think that i've seen flash games like this for free online. idk it just seems like one of "those" games. you know that ones. They have one main gimmick going for it and that's it. kinda like "Gone Home" and "Dear Ester". Games that sell based on Controversy mostly.
You might be right but if I was going to sell a game based off controversy alone I'd do it differently. I'd have murdered children in the trailer maybe have the main character shoot up a ball pit, and have the word 'wacky' somewhere in the title.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
xPixelatedx said:
WhiteNachos said:
xPixelatedx said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
xPixelatedx said:
Part of me wonders if this was commissioned by people who genuinely hate videogames and/or the people trying to change videogames "for the better"...

Because it kind of looks like Starwman: The Game to me; something manufactured purely to paint the industry and gamers as crazy people. It plays on just about every prejudice and it seems to be doing it on purpose.
Reminder: one of the most popular video game franchises in the world is named after a felony and enables people to go on killing-sprees.
That is done very tongue in cheek with a dark humor context,
*cough* Cop out *cough* *cough* Bullshit *cough*. Oh sorry there was something in my throat. Seriously you're going to argue that you slaughter pedestrians ironically?

What is tongue and cheek about getting into huge shoot outs with the police? The same police that the games say are corrupt? The same police it demands you kill in certain missions because you are a criminal?

What about GTA IV when they tried to have a gritty story with drama and you can still mow down civilians for fun?
If you think GTA is indicative of reality what so ever then there is no point in going into this discussion any further. You said your piece and I said mine, so now all that can be done is allowing people who see these comments to draw their own conclusions.
There are tons of games where the enjoyment comes from shooting everything on the screen, the only difference between those games and this one is that this game doesn't try to make you empathize with the protagonist (at least not from this trailer).

So trying to dismiss comparisons to GTA seems really dishonest. GTA San Andreas seems wacky today, but a lot of that is due to how far graphics have come. At the time the graphics were only slightly below average. It certainly didn't sell itself as a wacky sandbox game

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I don't see how what I said has anything to do with media violence = real life violence. I just said it looks stupid.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
I don't know if this has been posted. Forgive me if it has, but apparently, these guys are neo-nazis: http://www.playerattack.co.uk/news/2014/10/17/hatred-is-the-neo-nazi-hate-crime-of-video-games/
Alright I don't want to give traffic to an article with such an obvious clickbait headline (it says the game itself is a neo nazi hate crime which is total BS they're using to get views) so what evidence does it have that they're neo nazis?

And secondly, would it matter? You're not targeting any particular group in this game, so this game clearly is not promoting any nazi views.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Uriel_Hayabusa said:

It is empty fantasized violence that is impersonal and lacks meaningful context, the game looks boring as fuck because it looks boring as fuck, this is hardly anything even close to controversial. I am not desensitized to real life violence, I very clearly differentiate when I see someone who actually gets their head blown off and a video game, the disconnect is a very large part of what makes my eyes glaze over. From the view of someone with a decent palette of games and a long time consumer of the industry, this is a shitty looking game with what feels like an immature adolescent approach to the violence. Don't quote me suggesting me as an example of media affecting behaviour, I have never found mindless violence to be appealing in any way, It is also boring considering they are trying to entertain me with it and it seems so pathetic.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Maybe its just me but as I listened to that it sounded like something one of the many psycopaths responsible for shootings would leave in their final note. That said, I think a game like this (and the other past games that have mimicked such tragedys) are done in very bad taste. While I will never take the stance that someones work should be censored I really dont see any artistic merit here either.

The game by itself looks like a twinstick shooter which in and of itself turns me off because of the boring and repetitive nature of those games. So part of me wonders if they just made this game controversial for sake of controversy. At the end of the day it does not look interesting, fun, insightful, or engaging so for now I think I'll be passing this one by.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
... Yeah I am going to play this game. I found I have become very tired of the gritty main hero since, I think Call of duty: modern warfare. The best part in Watch_dogs was the mini-game with giant military spider-robot going on rampage. For giving a chance to play the villain, I am willing to forgive a lot in gameplay, acting, ethics, etc. Honestly killing is killing. Why try justify it?

That said, this will be one hell of an ammo pack for the FOX news and its ilk.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
There's 'really violent' and then there's pointless violence. This seems to be in the latter camp.
At least in GTA and Saint's Row, there's a reasonable story-line reason for the violence. Most of the people hurt in story line are not innocent.
This seems deliberately to be a 'civilian' killer. No real story line, just start shooting at the civvies. Even as someone who LOVES the SR and GTA series, I'm taking a pass.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Immediate thoughts on seeing the trailer: Hey looks like Nathan Explosion from Metalocalypse made a game!

Second thoughts: It's going to be hilarious seeing people's reactions to this.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Just looks like it's trying to be edgy and 'OMG so controversial' for the sake of it. I'm not offended by it or anything, it just looks stupid.

I mean I'll have fun doing a GTA/Saints Row rampage as much as the next guy, but there's still a point to those games beyond that. Doing nothing but that would just get boring.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
Even though I don't have any particular interest in this game, it would make me feel better knowing it exists. I don't like thinking that I am in an environment where the status quo pushes regulation or censorship of anything, even "highly offensive" material. I think we need a game that pushes the boundaries to see if those boundaries are still there.

It's the same as me downloading a kill-able children mod for Skyrim despite never actually having any intention to kill children. It makes me feel bad to be told I'm not allowed to do something, even if it's something I have no intention of doing. I want to know that I can go on a murder rampage (in a game of course) even if I never will.