"Hatred" Reveal Trailer. Or as I like to call it, "The Next Big Controversy"

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:
Quadocky said:
From the Website:
These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment ? we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure.
Wow. I wish I lived in whatever imagination land they do.

The game looks exactly like something a secretly neo-nazi person would make. Or an un-ironic metal head.
They have a point, not about the politically correct part but way too many games take themselves too seriously and try to have a story as a main focus rather than new and great[\b]gameplay.

But the gameplay isn't new or great. At least from what the trailer showed. It looks boring,bland, and generic. Looks to me like they're trying to sell based on shock value alone which is the biggest offence in my book.

I don't think we've seen enough of the gameplay to make a judgement call.

But in either case this is something that hasn't been done before, a mass murder simulator. It is something new because in most sandbox games when you get a wanted level there's unrealistic ways to lose it (like saving the game in GTA).

IDK this seems to be focused on the enjoyment of killing everything and not much else. Even if it doesn't do anything new it's still bucking the trend of games that put too much on story.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
WhiteNachos said:
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:
Quadocky said:
From the Website:
These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment ? we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure.

The game looks exactly like something a secretly neo-nazi person would make. Or an un-ironic metal head.
They have a point, not about the politically correct part but way too many games take themselves too seriously and try to have a story as a main focus rather than new and great[\b]gameplay.

But the gameplay isn't new or great. At least from what the trailer showed. It looks boring,bland, and generic. Looks to me like they're trying to sell based on shock value alone which is the biggest offence in my book.

But in either case this is something that hasn't been done before, a mass murder simulator. It is something new because in most sandbox games when you get a wanted level there's unrealistic ways to lose it (like saving the game in GTA).

IDK this seems to be focused on the enjoyment of killing everything and not much else. Even if it doesn't do anything new it's still bucking the trend of games that put too much on story.

So what? cut out the story and just kill for fun? I feel like you could play a free flash game and get the same amount of enjoyment if not more for free. plus if you go around only killing civilians what's the point? seems like it would get boring quickly.
I just can't not see this as the anti-SJW's equivalent to Gone Home. A game with a neat premises that just falls flat but sells well due to controversy.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:
Quadocky said:
From the Website:

So what? cut out the story and just kill for fun? I feel like you could play a free flash game and get the same amount of enjoyment if not more for free. plus if you go around only killing civilians what's the point? seems like it would get boring quickly.
I just can't not see this as the anti-SJW's equivalent to Gone Home. A game with a neat premises that just falls flat but sells well due to controversy.

I saw cops in the trailer.

And you're missing my point, what if it really was a serial killer thing where you had to go on the run from the law rather than just go home. There's potential here.

And killing for fun describes the multiplayer in basically every FPS ever made.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Shrug.

If you can't push a few boundaries, you don't really have artistic freedom.

I don't have to buy it, and I don't have to play it. But I also don't have to bite my nails in horror at what assumptions ignorant and small-minded people, media or otherwise, might make about me because it presumes to exist. That way lies a particularly foolish form of paralysis.

I think the character designer of The Darkness might want to have a word, though.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Popido said:
Bombiz said:
Popido said:
Say what you want, being politically incorrect seems to be working for them.

Already people are calling them crazy, edgy, tryhards, childish and what not. Cmon on. Theres a fucking goat simulator! I really don't want to use relative fallacy here, but please. Think for a second. Judge the context and quality of this trailer with Goat Simulator sitting next to it, and tell me again how tryhard, random, edgy and childish it is.

All we know, the game might be good. Are we judging the quality of the context or the context's subject itself?

Edit:
And after rewatching the trailer, are we seriously questioning the mental health of a character that goes Postal? Obviously, the context would be better if it was a love story or revenge trip.
You're assuming that I actually liked Goat simulator. They're both bad games its just that this one is so pretentios and straight faced about it that it just rubs me the wrong way.
As far as I see it both this game and goat simulator are the exact same game with the exact same fan base.
Then let's take the other end of the spectrum and compare it to Blood Money. Another pretentios and straight faced game about killing innocent people for no higher ideologies. Or love.
Were you playing the same game I'm playing?

Almost every one of your targets is a horrible human being, which kind of goes with the territory of being a high priced hitman. I wouldn't call it pretentious, it just tried to have a solemn atmosphere and it tried to make a point about human cloning but it never got full of itself.

And the game is amazing.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
WhiteNachos said:

And you're missing my point, what if it really was a serial killer thing where you had to go on the run from the law rather than just go home. There's potential here.

I saw cops getting their asses killed

the game didn't depict the cops as any real danger. if anything they where just one more thing to shoot. and in a multiplier fps people actually try to shoot/fight back. Sometimes with devastating results.

And Gone Home also has potential. Doesn't change what most people think of it though.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:

the game didn't depict the cops as any real danger. if anything they where just one more thing to shoot. and in a multiplier fps people actually try to shoot/fight back. Sometimes with devastating results.

And Gone Home also has potential. Doesn't change what most people think of it though.
You honestly think the cops aren't going to shoot back?

I'd say the odds of that happening are about 0.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
WhiteNachos said:
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:

t Do you honestly watch that trailer and think the cops are any threat at all? they have pistols against a guy with an AK-47 who doesn't give a shit.
The cops firing back is the equivalent to firefighter trying to tack out a forest/wild fire with min-water guns. ain't gonna do shit.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:

t Do you honestly watch that trailer and think the cops are any threat at all? they have pistols against a guy with an AK-47 who doesn't give a shit.
The cops firing back is the equivalent to firefighter trying to tack out a forest/wild fire with min-water guns. ain't gonna do shit.
It's a trailer, it's not a gameplay video. I don't remember any tanks in GTA trailers but if you get the maximum wanted level you have tanks firing at you.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
The trailer plays it straight enough for me to think the creators know what they're doing.

I can see why people disagree with the theme and the emo poetry monologue, but I found the whole thing kind of a wacky reduction to the absurd type thing.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
WhiteNachos said:
Quadocky said:
From the Website:

They have a point, not about the politically correct part but way too many games take themselves too seriously and try to have a story as a main focus rather than new and great gameplay.
Eeehhhhhhhh, I dunno. How can you improve upon a well tread genre aside from giving it a new coat of paint?

Maybe I just think its in poor taste in context to the United States because mass shooters seem unusually common :(

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It's a trailer. Too early to say what will or won't be in the game.

We don't even know if it's possible to "Win" the game as such. For all we know the game could just continue to grow difficult until you are killed by the police.

An email from the developer gave the notion that the game will feature a Police/Swat/FBI/Army style progression in difficult, so, yeah. There's clearly a plan that there is going to be a difficult to actually killing people.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Looks pretty interesting to me. Really, I'm just glad there's a developer out there with the balls to put you in the shoes of the villain. Looks like a lot of really merciless, vicious killing as well, which is kind of cool.

But then, I also did like that one Uwe Boll movie. What was it? Rampage, I believe. So eh. More media that allows us to play/see the dark side of the spectrum is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Diversity!!

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
WhiteNachos said:
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:
Bombiz said:
WhiteNachos said:

eh. Still think I saw a flash game of something like this some where. I guess I don't see what the big deal is. another controversy game, woopie.
It's a trailer, it's not a gameplay video. I don't remember any tanks in GTA trailers but if you get the maximum wanted level you have tanks firing at you.
eh. I still think that i've seen flash games like this for free online. idk it just seems like one of "those" games. you know that ones. They have one main gimmick going for it and that's it. kinda like "Gone Home" and "Dear Ester". Games that sell based on Controversy mostly.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
KazuhiraMiller said:
God damn, man. I was expecting something *mildly* offensive at best, like that boring ass JFK assassination simulator at best, this is just sheer undeniable BAITING for controversy.
I'm especially looking forward to the part where you help Hitler fly a hundred planes into the world trade centers.

Yeah, this is way to on the nose. I can see them trying to bait the news channels, but I have difficulty seeing this get a release on major consoles or Steam. If not for the controversy then because its stupid and no one will want to buy it. Of course, it ma just fade into obscurity and die with all the other "shock" games. And it's not even that shocking.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
WhiteNachos said:
xPixelatedx said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
xPixelatedx said:
Part of me wonders if this was commissioned by people who genuinely hate videogames and/or the people trying to change videogames "for the better"...

Because it kind of looks like Starwman: The Game to me; something manufactured purely to paint the industry and gamers as crazy people. It plays on just about every prejudice and it seems to be doing it on purpose.
Reminder: one of the most popular video game franchises in the world is named after a felony and enables people to go on killing-sprees.
That is done very tongue in cheek with a dark humor context,
*cough* Cop out *cough* *cough* Bullshit *cough*. Oh sorry there was something in my throat. Seriously you're going to argue that you slaughter pedestrians ironically?

What is tongue and cheek about getting into huge shoot outs with the police? The same police that the games say are corrupt? The same police it demands you kill in certain missions because you are a criminal?

What about GTA IV when they tried to have a gritty story with drama and you can still mow down civilians for fun?
If you think GTA is indicative of reality what so ever then there is no point in going into this discussion any further. You said your piece and I said mine, so now all that can be done is allowing people who see these comments to draw their own conclusions.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I find it interesting that quite a few posters here are saying the trailer ''is too on the nose'' or ''tries too hard to be edgy'' when it doesn't seem all that far off from the way real psychos who go on killing sprees see things.

I mean, Elliot Rodger looked ridiculous and like he was trying too hard to lots of people; but he actually did go on a killing spree.

Maybe the gaming community is more desensitized to violence (or the idea of violence at any rate) than it likes to think it is.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I'm pretty impressed actually. Most games made by angsty 13 year old are made in flash and look like absolute shite. This actually looks like it was made by an actual developer. Kudos to them.

In all seriousness though, this looks like absolute trash with no sense of tact. Devs, if you're gonna make something for the express purpose of stirring up shit and saying 'Oooh look how mature and edgy we are! Stand back man or I'll cut you!', you could at least try to tackle the subject with some tact and humanity and maybe try to examine what makes someone do something like this. You know, make the whole endeavour worth it in some respect rather than some immature plea for media attention.

EDIT: This is my 666th post, for added EDGE!!!!!!!!111!!!!!one!!!11!!

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Fappy said:
Looks stupid as shit, honestly. Imo, the only way a game like this can work is with a serious sense of self-awareness.
JagermanXcell said:
I hope it garners "look at how silly this is" press than anything actually controversial.
Antonio Scott said:
I find it kinda stupid how people are upset at this tbh.
ProfMcStevie said:
Looks boring as shit
Bombiz said:
Gameplay look boring as fuck.
xPixelatedx said:
This seems more "Columbine", and done so entierly with a straight face.
RedDeadFred said:
I can't take this crap seriously.
FriesWithThat said:
this looks like absolute trash with no sense of tact.
Wow, people who insist that media doesn't affect behavior would have a hard time explaining comments like this.

And like I said in my previous post, it's strange that people are finding this ''hard to take seriously'' or ''trying too hard to be edgy'' or whatever. You only need to look at snippets of released ''manifestos'' from real-life killers who did the same thing to see the same kind of self-righteous, nihilistic justifications for hating people and society.

I'm curious about what Jim Sterling thinks of the trailer, seeing as he insisted that gamers aren't desensitized to violence.

xPixelatedx said:
If you think GTA is indicative of reality what so ever then there is no point in going into this discussion any further.
I suspect WhiteNachos' point isn't whether or not it ''is indicative of reality'', it's whether or not it resonates with violent individuals or makes the idea of doing violent things seem attractive.