have a second language?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can speak English, French...and thats about it...lil bits of everything else

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
English, German, I can mostly understand Dutch and Afrikaans. Silly languages those two. Oh and I can understand some spoken Polish and Finish.

mr-fix_it

Apr 15, 2009
Here in sweden everybody and their mother speak 2 languages(swedish and english unless you're an immigrant then you normally speak 3) and I'm currently learning German and Hebrew.. hmm thats sort of a fucked up (historically) combination.

KlausH

Jun 21, 2010
Actualy, my second language is English. I'm from a latin country. NO it's not Spain, so it's easy. It's where Cristiano Ronaldo came from.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
micky said:
redmarine said:
Second is Danish and third is lovely English.

Wished everyone spoke English... Would be soo much easier.
whats your first?
I'm guessing it would be Icelandic (also known as Swedish, Norwegian or Danish that never evolved properly *hur hur*)

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Je parle un petit peu de francais.

But not much, and not well. I also know a tiny bit of german, and enough spanish to convince people that I can't speak it.

ju-shi

Nov 30, 2009
English is my first. Russian is my second, although I'm not as good at it as I used to be. I know some Japanese, mostly from what I've picked up watching anime, from my boyfriend (who learned it in college), and what I've taught myself. I'm planning on going to South Korea soon to teach English, so I'm sure I'll pick up some Korean while I'm there.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
it's irritating being Aussie and only having to know the one language. Like, really irritating.
Anyway, yes I do, and it's Japanese :)

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
You could say English is my second language... I spoke Swiss-German after I was born with a bit of English since I did live in Canada, then went to Switzerland for 2 years and went to Kindergarten there. I came back for Grade 1 and hardly knew English. It was tough at first, and meant I didn't make friends that easily.

Now I'd say English is my first language because I have a firmer grasp over it. But I wouldn't really place Swiss-German as a second language. More like an "other language". I also speak German, a modest amount of French, and some Spanish. I want to learn Cantonese so I can talk crap about people with my girlfriend.

Lucifus

Dec 3, 2008
micky said:
Lucifus said:
I speak English and understand a little bit of Welsh. Despite being Welsh I loath the language for what its become.
what happened to it?
The New Welsh Culture happened.

Wales at the moment is screwed. To be seen as "proper Welsh" you must speak Welsh. Sounds fair? Not when 80% only speak English, and the other 20% are made up of Welsh Learners and Welsh speakers and these are extremely segregated into certain areas of Wales.

To top this Welsh language schools are given bigger budgets to the point that English Speaking schools (that still teach Welsh) are given smaller budgets. Anyone who can speak Welsh is given a higher priority in jobs. Thousands of pounds if not more are wasted in translation despite that EVERY Welsh person can speak English.

It is seen as a "Right" to use Welsh which is fair, however this should not mean that you send off a E-mail to someone in your own building in Welsh, who then has to send it off for translation, they then have to send their reply to the translator to be translated into Welsh.

Then we have the problem of bilingual material. Which im not even going into because its a travesty.

Long story short, despite Wales being made up of primarily English speakers and everyone can speak English and Welsh, the Welsh speakers are a Minority but are given priority for almost everything.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Here in the Netherlands, at least on my highschool, one must take Dutch, English and either French or German.

I took Dutch/English/French. I can speak Dutch and English well, i'm still very verybad at French. So I can speak 2 languages.

Edit:
TheSeventhLoneWolf said:
I'm learning Dutch!

Hallo, Ik heet jason. Hoe gaat het met je?

I think.
Hoi Jason, ik heet jelle. 'T gaat prima, met jou?

:p
Why are you learning Dutch, if I may ask? If it's not your first language.

Second edit:
I see people here claiming they know about 4-5-6 languages. I find it very hard to believe that someone can speak 6 languages fluently. No offense intended. I mean sure, I have had 2 years of obligatory German on school as well, but I can't speak it at all.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Everyone learns 2 extra languages in school here, it isn't uncommon for people to at least understand a total of 4.

AnneSQF

Sep 22, 2009
My prime language is Danish, my secondary is English, my third is German but I hope I can get it changed to French next year. So many languages... Why can't we all just talk English??

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
NZ doesn't have compulsary languages so we're pretty behind in that, but I learned French before coming to live in France (kinda logical really). I also learned Japanese at school but I'm terrible at that.