Have You Ever Been Banned/Suspended?

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Nope, I'm in the clear so far. I'm shooting for the Neo badge.

Mr. Eff said:
I made the mistake of bumping a thread once.
Wait, you can get suspended for a thread bump? I don't remember that in the rules... *goes back to check*

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
sethzard said:
Nope, I always try to avoid breaking rules
Same, I in fact live in fear that one day i'm just going to unleash a torrent of hatred towards a poor member of the escapist for no particular reason, just because i'd be in a mood. Anything could set me off, like say even just a cool looking king of the hill avatar.
Omikron009 said:
Oh hey there

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
No, I don't want to. I want my Neo badge ):
Not from school either, I was too good. My 11 year old cousin has though, we'll be having words...

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I was banned for one of the more ridiculous reasons I can recall, but I'm not going to bother getting into that whole argument again.

I've also been given warnings and a few probations for, personally, pretty petty reasons - I was even suspended (I think, if I recall correctly) for telling people to stop posting on a thread - the "reason" given was "You're not a mod". Ironic that The Escapist is now encouraging a user group that pretty much encourages said behaviour...

The fact that "trolling" and "flaming" is pretty subjective must have something to do with it...

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
I try to be constructive and I restrain my remarks. Thus far It has served me well and spared me the wrath of the mighty ban hammer.

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Been on probie twice for stupid shit. Never been on anything worse though.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
I've yet to be probated/suspended/banned, although I've had like 30 arguments already on my time here...

Which I've started...
...By perchance insulting their honor/hobby...
*Taps his fingers together*

What? I was being polite!

As for real life... Not even once. Although the stupidity of myself as a child.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
I'd have to wonder about the quality of the "BANNING" system if people were around to tell the tail...

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I've been banned from many a forum back in the day. Had quite a career as a troll for a while, but I gave that life up.

I also got kicked out of my public library once, but that's an entirely different story.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
zala-taichou said:
Nope, I try to keep the rules in mind while posting. (Is this a low content post? It could well be...)
Hehe, I don't even know the rules.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
Does anyone know how this works in practice btw? Let's say in theory I just click on the report button because I am angry and say "He's trolling." for example. Do the mods then go with the one who reported it or will they take it in consideration? It could be arbitraty otherwise and used for all kinds of malpractice.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Jack_Uzi said:
Does anyone know how this works in practice btw? Let's say in theory I just click on the report button because I am angry and say "He's trolling." for example. Do the mods then go with the one who reported it or will they take it in consideration? It could be arbitraty otherwise and used for all kinds of malpractice.
Well the report button just informs the mods of the posts existence; you have to no formal say in how or why you reported it. It takes at least two reports of the same message to call the post to the mods attention, or so I believe. From there the mods decide if the post is worthy of punishment or not - it's a pretty poor system on paper because the rules themselves aren't very clear (what constitutes "trolling" for example, and how can you tell if a person is doing so?) and it's ultimately left for the mods to make a subjective decision.

At least, that's how I think it works based on the posts I've seen regarding the issue. Ultimately the report button has been used for malpractice - I recall one user (now banned) explain he had almost "stalked" another user he disliked and reported any post he considered even slightly out of order. Obviously the person consistently being reported is going to lead to bannings or suspensions after a certain time period.

ThePinkAcidSmurf

Mar 30, 2010
Look at my post count, I haven't had the time!...

Only time I've gotten banned from something was probably D2 and it was only temporary. Can't even remember why.

Phantom_IEC

Feb 15, 2010
Never been put on probation or whatever here,

I was banned from the forums for a local LAN centre for saying that I would log people off computers if they had left it on and left the centre. Apparently that is something you can't do and it upset a lot of people.

I used to play Waterpolo and got suspended for what was considered rough play, in actual fact I transitioned from front crawl to back crawl and happened to accidently smack a guy in the face.

Other than that i'm a pretty good guy...

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Nah, I'm a good little escapist. I'm not gonna say I haven't come close though.

*EDIT* For people complaining they got mod wrath from doing something that wasn't mentioned in the rules. Not everything has to be in the rules, it's simple common sense and etiquette not to do it.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i've had a warning but never been banned/suspended. wasn't suspended from school either. got into some trouble every now and then but nothing too serious.