Have you ever bought a game you knew nothing about and upon playing it found it to be AWESOME?

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series comes to mind. I got Clear Sky bundled with a graphics card purchase from Newegg. I was hooked instantly - first game I played on my first gaming rig.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
Team Fortress 2 and Tales of Vespiria.
I got Tales thinking it looked like a game I'd probably like, and God help me, I was correct, so very correct.

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
Way back when I worked for a used computer store, somebody traded in a game called Planet's Edge: Point of No Return. I thought it was a different game, one which I had been trying to track down for a while, so I snatched it up. I took it home, and realized that it was not the game I was looking for. The plus side is that it was AWESOME. It's hard to really recommend it today because the tech did not age well, and a lot of the gameplay elements would annoy or frustrate modern gamers, but for its time, it blew my mind. It can be best described as a cross between Ultima 6 and Star Control 2. The storyline was truly epic, and such an open and explorable universe was simply just not seen at the time. The sad part is that very few people ever played or heard of that game, and even fewer people remember it today.

Raikov

Mar 1, 2010
NeverWinter Nights - "Dungeons and Dragons game mechanic? No idea what that is, but it sounds cool"

Baldur's Gate 2 - "Hey, nice cd cover!"

Freelancer - "Hmm... space battles? Yep, that's soo me!"

'Twas in the old days, when the only reviews we had was on the back side of the CD case. Kids got it too easy nowadays =P

MattyintheHatty

Feb 3, 2011
Ico comes to mind. I had no idea what it was the North American cover art gave nothing as well. Rolled the dice, took a chance and I struck gold.

WhiteShadow2401

Jul 10, 2009
Ninja Gaiden (For the original Xbox) Prince of Persia (Same console) Aaaand... The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Xbox 360). I bought them just because I had some extra money (When I knew what "extra money" was) and I loved them.

RishaRight

Mar 17, 2009
I bought the psone game Tales of Destiny years ago. I had no idea what it was, but it was in the bargain bin (the ps2 being out and all) and it had an anime cover. I was a huge anime nerd, so I bought it. Turned out to be my favourite psone game ever. EVER.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Sins of a Solar Empire. Saw it at a games store in the mall, and the box had me at the word "space." I love sci-fi. It's hard to believe the game was made by 11 people, because it's FUCKING AWESOME and is a shining example is the RTS/4X genre. Not only that, but the devs are still releasing patches and bugfixes years after its release, and it has a very active modding community. It's basically impossible to get bored.

Borderlands. I bought it because I liked the art style, and I wound up spending an absolutely ridiculous amount of time in the single-player campaign. Then I convinced friends to get it and we killed even more time on the co-op. It's a bit simple, but it works.

Mass Effect. I'd never played a BioWare game before, and again, the fact that it was a sci-fi game set in space was pretty much an instant sell. Damn, am I glad I bought that game.

Malrock

Dec 18, 2010
Hehe I have a healthy list of these.

- Monkey Island
- Planescape Torment
- Golden Sun
- Ronin Blade
- Tenchu 1
- Jade Empire
- Ratchet and Clank
- Breath of Fire
- World of Warcraft (Heard there would be an MMO of a beloved RTS 3 days before its release....purchased, and it consumed 6 years lol)

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Urban chaos riot response, as soon as I put it in the one thing I thought was "How many ways can I kill the burners?".

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
Borderlands, brilliant game, got hours out of it.

sick of it now of course cos I pretty much beat it to death.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Sword of the Stars

Picked up a copy after spotting it by chance, have bought every single EP for it since and am waiting with baited breath for Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter to finally come out.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
kings bounty, I was in half price books looking at software and I saw a case with kind ehh cover art but the pics of the game looked really nice and I got it for 20 bucks and loved the fuck out of it

same with a game called hostile waters: anteius rising (or something) I saw it at half price also and picked it up cheap and was blown away by how awesome it was, really interesting story, gun game play and the first time I had seen really good physics in a game, the physics in it are still better them most games today

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Dragon Age: Origins. I knew not one thing about this game. To this day it is still among my favorite RPGs of all time. Along with Golden Sun, which I also bought with no prior knowledge of the game.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
I only heard that Assassin's Creed was "this game where you're an assassin during the crusades". Needless to say, the first few minutes of sheer plot twist when you start the game was a huge surprise.