Have you ever had that moment when you were happy a TV show you don't watch is ending?

Nov 28, 2007
Vigormortis said:
Amaror said:
Yeah, i never understood why people do that.
You know what i do, when someone tells me how good a show is and that i should watch it?
I watch it.
Simple as that, if i like it great. If i don't then i just tell him that the next time he's trying to convince me to watch the show and he will shut up about it.
It's not that complicated, people!
What kind of selfish, self-centered so-and-so do you have to be to want others to be denied something they enjoy? Particularly when that thing isn't really hurting you or anyone else.
There's a difference between actively wanting a show to end, and being happy in a way when it does. I apologize if I made it seem that I've been actively rooting for Breaking Bad to end just because others like it, because that's not the case. I'm just not upset that it is ending. Do you understand a bit more where I'm coming from?

As far as it isn't really hurting me or anyone else, that's true to a point. However, it does get a bit obnoxious when I have my taste in shows questioned or insulted just because I'm watching them instead of Breaking Bad. And yes, I have had that happen, several times.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
jetriot said:
Vegosiux said:
Especially with American-made shows, never, because I never believe for a second that it's really going to end if they see they could keep cashing in on it *chuckle*
You mean like X-Factor and Doctor Who?
I meant more like House and the discussions I've heard about continuing Dexter. And frankly, if they decide to keep Breaking Bad going I'll be quite cranky, because Walter has already been turned from a family man and professor with a terminal disease who is desperately trying to provide to a complete monster. And that was not character development, that was flanderization. He's just a caricature of his original self by now.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
No. I usually just don't care. Even with amount of MLP threads we've had (it's gone down though) and how I can't understand the appeal at all, I wouldn't be happy if the show randomly ended. I certainly wouldn't be unhappy, I just wouldn't care. How does people talking about a show a lot upset you? That makes no sense to me.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
GiantRaven said:
broca said:
Dexter. It was really interesting for the first two seasons and then it got less good with every following season, leading to the closing season that is universally considered horrible. So i'm thankful there won't be more of it, if only because it means that they can't follow up with something even worse.
Oh dear lord that finale. It was probably the worst thing I've ever watched, and I watched all of Heroes.

I think I need strong drink just thinking about it...
This. I'm one of the guys who thought all the people complaining about the ME3 ending were a bunch of whining little fucks, but Dexter just really was that bad.

I do have to agree with Breaking Bad aswell, I marathoned the entire show last week and watched the recent episode. The show is good at times but it is still massively overrated. It isn't remotely close to the best TV show ever, not by a mile.
Could you tell me a bit about what was bad about it? With spoiler tags, of course.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I'm happy that a show I do watch is ending. And that show is How I Met Your Mother. It's been dragged out for way too long and since I've already put so much time in the first seasons, I have to finish it. They could've ended the show 3 seasons ago, but nope, it's still going. 22 more episodes and it's finally done. Can't wait.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
thebobmaster said:
This doesn't necessarily have to be a show you thought was bad, necessarily, or dragging down the quality of television, but as the title says, have you ever been happy to see a TV show end when you don't even watch that show?

For me, it is Breaking Bad. Don't get me wrong, I've heard good things about it. Actually, that is the problem. I've heard way too many people raving about how awesome the show is, and saying I have to watch it. Part of me is glad that it is ending on Sunday, because that may finally stem the flow of "have to watches" I hear.

Are there any shows like that for you?

Yes, Seinfeld. Never liked that show, never found it funny, never understood why people hold it up like it's some divine example of comedy. Couldn't care less about that show, and was happy to see it go away.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
thebobmaster said:
What is the reaction of people when I mention that? "The show doesn't really get good until season 2! You have to watch it all! Just buy Netflix! It's worth it just for that show!"
strange, since BrBa is a show that people typically say will get you hooked after no more than the first two episodes. i suppose you just have peculiar tastes. but really, you are missing out big time. it starts out great and literally does nothing but grow in quality. its the only show ive seen where i can honestly say that each season is better than the last.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
thebobmaster said:
There's a difference between actively wanting a show to end, and being happy in a way when it does. I apologize if I made it seem that I've been actively rooting for Breaking Bad to end just because others like it, because that's not the case. I'm just not upset that it is ending. Do you understand a bit more where I'm coming from?
Well, being happy that it's ending is similar to wanting it to end. It shows a level of concern that should otherwise be absent; given that person doesn't watch the show.

However, being "not upset" over something ending is a distinct lack of concern. And that's how it should be with a piece of media one doesn't partake in. Disconnected apathy should be the default response.

All of this "ugh, I hate that show, even though I don't watch it, so I want it to end" crap is obnoxious at best. It honestly concerns me how many posters in here actually want certain shows to end, simply because they don't watch them and dislike that others do.

As far as it isn't really hurting me or anyone else, that's true to a point. However, it does get a bit obnoxious when I have my taste in shows questioned or insulted just because I'm watching them instead of Breaking Bad. And yes, I have had that happen, several times.
I too have had people act that way towards me on other shows or pieces of media. However, I don't blame those shows for that behavior being presented. I blame the people who are acting that way.

And, if someone is genuinely that confrontational simply because I don't enjoy what they enjoy, I do the sensible thing:

I ignore them.

Because, if they act that way, they are not the kinds of people I want to interact and socialize with.

JonSherwell

Mar 21, 2013
Berny Marcus said:
I honestly wanted Heroes to end, no offense to any Heroes fan. I thought it looked pretty lame, although I never watched.
As a Heroes fan, it got really lame after the first couple of seasons. All of the character arcs became stupidly convoluted..

Claire (the Cheerleader from the slogan) became a complete nonfactor once she realized she was/became self-healing. From what I remember, Dr. Seresh had become stricken with some random disease and was turning into some sort of monster. And my favorite hero, Hiro, was basically lost to disuse or redundancy or something of that sort.

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
Big Bang Theory was... A little sucky. I'm not going to sit here and say it's hugely insulting to the larger geek culture - portrayed very broadly as liking games, comics, game/comic related stuff, being absurdly smart, and in the case of Sheldon, having what may or may not be some kind of low-level psychological disorder. No, not hugely insulting, just kinda insulting.
Everyone knows the phrase "I'm laughing with you, not at you." It's something you might say when you feel bad for laughing, maybe, but everyone knows the truth. That's the kind of feeling I get when I watch this show. There's a few drops of harmless "poking fun at things you know are true" but at the same time, it's not so harmless "laughing at how strange and quirky you nerds are."
So, yeah, I'm not missing it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Vigormortis said:
canadamus_prime said:
What's really sad is the fact that if you call anyone on this you'll get the standard response of "It's the Internet, what do you expect?" As if that sort of behaviour is acceptable because it's the Internet.
Oh my....the number of times I've heard that excuse.

To use the old vernacular: "If I had a nickel..."

I guess it's true that virtues like kindness, common decency, empathy, personal responsibility, and rationality are dead. Or, in the very least, on terminal life support.
It's like I've been saying for a good while now, Common Sense, Common Decency, and Common Courtesy are common in name only. And it seems, as you said, kindness, empathy, personal responsibility, and rationality are even less common now it seems. Esp. rationality.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
sextus the crazy said:
I'm happy that Naruto is coming to an end (they're already having a final-ish battle). It just needs to be taken back behind the shed and introduced to the family double-barreled shotgun. Want some more Shonen series' to slowly get sick of anyway.
but hey.. what a end battle :) (im reading the manga aswell.. and yeah.. if this is the final.. its fucking worthy)

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Shows I'm glad ended: Jersey Shore, Friends(AKA the most overrated sitcom of all time), Dude, What Will Happen?, Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!. Jon and Kate Plus 8(abusive spouse acts like she did nothing wrong when her husband cheats on her and leaves her then the general public sides with her). Secret Life of the American Teenager(lets make a teen drama that glorifies teen pregnancy).

Shows I want to end: Big Bang Theory(it's nerdface, nothing else). Game of Thrones(we're gonna advertise the show as nothing but action and awesomeness, but it's gonna be nothing but talking). Anything with the Kardashians(attention seeking whores complaining about nothing, you can make a drinking game where you take a shot every time you wanna scream "first world problems" at these harlots and you'd be dead at the halfway mark). MTV(the whole fucking channel can die, thinking all rock music is the devil all while shoving gangsta rap and shitty pop music down peoples throats). 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom(see Secret Life above, except some girls have actually admitted to getting knocked up so they can get their 15 minutes on this crap).

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
Amaror said:
BQE said:
Shame others don't share that frame of mind.

Nope, it's "I don't like this/I don't watch this/I don't like hearing others talk about something they like, therefore I wish it would go away."

Because...I mean...fuck other people for enjoying something I don't, right?
Yeah, i never understood why people do that.
You know what i do, when someone tells me how good a show is and that i should watch it?
I watch it.
Simple as that, if i like it great. If i don't then i just tell him that the next time he's trying to convince me to watch the show and he will shut up about it.
It's not that complicated, people!
Hey now, this isn't what I said. It's what Vigormortis said. Please fix your quote.

I'm not nearly so crass.

I also forgot to include Big Bang Theory, that show is awful.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Berny Marcus said:
I honestly wanted Heroes to end, no offense to any Heroes fan. I thought it looked pretty lame, although I never watched.
As someone who did watch it, I agree with you, by the end it was a flailing monstrosity of contrived and recycled plot ideas begging to be put out of it's misery.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
OlasDAlmighty said:
Berny Marcus said:
As someone who did watch it, I agree with you, by the end it was a flailing monstrosity of contrived and recycled plot ideas begging to be put out of it's misery.
No wonder that show got cancelled.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
BQE said:
Hey now, this isn't what I said. It's what Vigormortis said. Please fix your quote.

I'm not nearly so crass.

I also forgot to include Big Bang Theory, that show is awful.
Fixed it, but what about that post is crass. I think i just make you look maybe a little more open minded and reasonable, but to each his own i guess.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
What bugs me about Breaking Bad (never seen it, only seen the ads) is the main guy, the bald one with the beard. He's got cancer right? So why does he have no hair but still has a beard? Cancer drugs don't just kill the hair on your head. That's stupid. Probably the main reason why I've never watched the show.

Habballah

Sep 25, 2013
I'm looking forward to duck dynasty dying.

I was happy when supernatural stopped, I kept having to hear about it, yes I understand that's petty but hay that's the thread point.