Have you ever hit a bad checkpoint?

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Not really a checkpoint, but I did once get a save in FF2 just after you fight the Adamantoise. I was poisoned and out of potions or antidones, with one team member down, heading for the exit so I could teleport to the nearest town. I got to the exit then BAM! Second boss fight.

o_O

It was at that point I learnt the value of a second save file.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I was playing Halo Reach's space mission on whatever the second hardest difficulty is called. I got blown up right as the screen informed me that I'd hit a checkpoint, so for the next 30 seconds or so, it just kept respawning me right as my ship blew up. I sat there dumbfounded watching this happen over and over and over again. Right when the shock of "holy shit, is it really doing this?!" wore off and I was about to quit back to the dashboard, the game finally said "Hey wait a minute..." to itself and reloaded me back to the previous checkpoint rather than the fiery death loop checkpoint.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
Halo 2. I was driving the tank across the bridge in the city level (chapter 2 i think). Anyway, halfway across is a big hole and while trying to dodge a banshee missle i acidently drove into the hole and got a checkpoint just as i was falling to my doom. So everytime it reloaded i fell again and again. I had already beaten the game many times so i was more amused at my bad luck than angry but intresting enough, before i could reset the game i was taken back to the start of the bridge. I guess the development team had built in a program where if your dying too much too quickly it'll restart you a little further back. so yeah.

Sozac

Jan 19, 2011
I was like level 10 in my first playthrough of Fallout 3 and was going up to The Republic of Tom and there was this huge lizard thing I never saw before(Deathclaw). I saved and went into crouch and I saw danger and ran to this diner place that had some high level raiders. At this point my only 2 saves were being attacked by the Deathclaw, and in between raiders and Deathclaw. It took me probably 30 loads before I was able to gay my way to some water I could swim in. I was so PO'd I almost returned the game. Glad I didn't though. I love Fallout now :).

Spygon

May 16, 2009
On a game i cant even remeber what is was.It was terrible but i was on a kinda hard train level and was slowly fighting my way through the train but kept getting killed.The i thought screw lets see if any good weapons are past this carriage so i threw all my grenades and ran full on just firing round after round at the enemy.Managed to mow down everybody in the train carriage but had 3 bullets and hardly any health.

So i walked through the next carriage door straight into a check point inside a room with no health picks up and no ammo while being aimed at by the enemy.Everytime i spawned i would get instantly shot dead in a hail of bullets.So i turned off my ps2 and never played the game again.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
The only that pops into mind is when me and my dad were playing through Tomb Raider 2. We didn't think about backing up our saves (bad choice there), and my dad saved the game a split second before some thug shot him and inevitably killed him, (as he had no health).

So it wasn't the games fault we lost our ENTIRE FUCKING PROGRESS it was my dads :/

We got quite far too, this was in the Opera house.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Anyone remember this little gem of bad programming/no beta testing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDaEdYkLEL4

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Halo Reach, it point checked about 2 seconds before i was wiped out by a Wraith mortaring the area, cue epic running/drop shield combo to get out of it

I still don't get the checkpoints in the Halo games, they just seem so random sometimes... Unlike basically any other game with a checkpoint system

Edit: Oh and there was a situation where i was getting hit by a train many times in Alpha Protocol, though that was bad saving and stupidity, to be fair i was not expecting the train track to have a speeding train on it XD

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Not a chekpoint per se but nothing beats my accidental quicksave in Drakkan right as I slipped into a volcano... Only to then realise i had not proper saved in ages.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
While playing one of the last levels of Halo 2 I threw a plasma grenade at a fusion coil. I was closer than I thought meaning that when it exploded it killed me. Unfortunately, It checkpointed me as my grenade exploded,meaning I would instantly reload then die. I eventually broke the loop somehow, still not sure how.

I'm pretty sure I've also had one where it saved a wraith mortar was about to land on my head meaning instadeath loop again.

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of any.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
It wasn't so much a bad checkpoint as it was a bad save point. I was playing one of the PS2 Tomb Raider games and accidentally saved right as I missed a jump/ledge. And seeing as I was not yet in the habit of keeping multiple parallel save files, I had wasted about half an hour of play-time.

CJSinc

May 1, 2011
Halo Reach, game saved on the falcon gunnery level on the way to spire, just as i shot a charged nade at the wall, it saves, the shot bounced back and hit me, killing me and taking don the falcon, just kept happening from the save until i restarted from the nearest rally point D:

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
No one's played Ghost Trick?

There's a mission where you've got to stop a heart attack. There are three was to fail it that all seem like good ideas. The first is to get in the medicine bottle, though there's no way back to save the guy. The second is to go through the phone (which has up until that point been THE way to save the day). The third is to miss a window of opportunity to get up to the fan after delaying his death. This creates an impossible to win checkpoint where you can no longer get up to the fan and have to start all over again.

Otherwise I have one piece of advice: Always have multiple save files for a JRPG, especially if you're someone who makes the stupid mistake of not taking the opportunity to grind. Too many times have I ended up underleveled in a place I could not return from.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
As much as I love the game I did get this one time in Fallout 3. The game autosaved after I entered a building, not realising I was being chased by a Super Mutant Enclave Enforcer. Needless to say as soon as I entered the building something knocked me clear over the sofa. Dead. Every time.

Thank heavens for the console is all I can say. 'tgm' saved my ass.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
ZombieGenesis said:
As much as I love the game I did get this one time in Fallout 3. The game autosaved after I entered a building, not realising I was being chased by a Super Mutant Enclave Enforcer. Needless to say as soon as I entered the building something knocked me clear over the sofa. Dead. Every time.

Thank heavens for the console is all I can say. 'tgm' saved my ass.

Super Mutant Enclave Enforcer? o_O

Frozen_Soul

Aug 31, 2009
COD2s farm silo sniper section were you had to snipe the mortar enplacements. Mortar hits me a half second after the checkpoint on Veteran needless to say I was pissed because I had to do the whole level over again.

OrenjiJusu

Mar 24, 2009
I think i got a checkpoint in either reach or halo 3 immediately after being stuck by a plasma grenade. (for those who don't know, as few as you may be, thats a 3 second wait before insta-death)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
CoD 4 Modern Warfare, during my veteran playthtough, I hit a checkpoint whilst sporting near-death health laying prone in the middle of a field. the next +20 tries was an exercise in patience, every respawn spent trying to literally crawl behind a shed about 10 yards away. I eventually lucked up and made it behind the shed and the "blood" cleared from my sights. I don't even rememebr how I made it through; must have blocked that BS out...