Have you ever outsmarted your teacher?

groundedcrow

Sep 30, 2008
My history teacher was informing us of the restriction of rights for students in public schools for reasons of safety. I quoted Benjamin Franklin by saying, "He who trades freedom for security deserves neither." She didn't have a comeback...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Many, many, many times.
It's not hard to find dim teachers in the public schooling system.

College professors are more challenging, and most are sporting about it.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I won an argument with my High School physics teacher by stating that if we DID have space ships that could travel the speed of light it wouldn't matter how long it took to get to other stars as time would stand still.

Frequen-Z said:
Nah, though one time in science we were discussing global warming, and I said that there was a Futurama episode that explained it perfectly, and asked if 'I brought in a DVD, could we watch it?'

He said yes (he was an awesome teacher) and so we spent the next days lesson watching Futurama.
And Al Gore used those clips in The Inconvenient Truth. It's just THAT good.
What? He used Futurama clips? Well, my respect for him has gone from meh all the way up to kinda cool!

Also, I got into numerous debates with Social Studies teachers, but they almost always ended with no resolution, because we don't have time to look up the answer on the internet.

I tend to not bother with their mistakes, because they have a high pressure job, and when all the other kids get that question wrong, the bell curve gets me a better grade, or at least makes me look smarter.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Oh loads of times. Not to sound like an anti authoritative teenager, but most of the "teachers" in my school are bumbling fucktards. I'm afraid I won't actually learn anything and fuck up in college.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
I correct my teachers when they bring up anything relating to popular music from the last 50 years. Like one teacher thought David Bowie died in a car crash, when as we all know it was Marc Bolan.

Movies too.

It happens every now and then, surprisingly most of my teachers seemed to like me

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Considering whenever a member of my schools history faculty couldn't come up with an answer they would come to me....

Yes.

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
Sovvolf said:
A substitute History teacher once claimed that it was the Romans that fought in the battle of Thermopylae. Though this was way before 300 came out and I guess it wasn't as common of knowledge as it is now. Still I'd have though an History teacher would have known it was Greeks versus Persians. Though pointing that out got me out in the hallway for the duration of the class.

Also the teacher that ripped my work up for using figurative and descriptive speech in a piece of fiction we had to write. I explained that what was written was figurative and was being used to increase the tension at that moment. However that got me into more trouble. I was only 8 at the time too... That sucked.
The Romans were actually involved in a Battle of Thermopylae, not the famous one however. They fought the Seleucids.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
The government teacher this year already, in fact.
And three of my English teachers.
And my algebra 2 teacher... and my trig tea-

I'll stop here.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
There have been two times where a teacher has done that stupid challenge the person they think is not listening thing on me where it bit them in the ass.
This first was when a teacher caught me drawing (which is actually part of how I learn), and decided to pull the "What did I just say?" card. I told her the last word from her lecture. Her response was "And before that?" I then went through 3 sentences, word-by-word, backwards. She actually couldn't speak for a few seconds (though it was more anger than amazement).

The second occured last year. Due to the fact that half of my physics class was just going over what we had already looked at the day before since we had an online assignment due before class, I took up listening to music as a sort of background music with one headphone only. It actually worked better than I hoped, and soon I was doing it throughout the entire class. During lab on the final few weeks of school, my professor noticed this and began the following conversation (unlike the previous teacher, he had the decency to pull me aside rather than try in front of the class):
Prof: "How long have you been doing this? If it's been anytime during the last week, then you've missed things that will be-"
Me: "I've been doing this all year."
Prof: "...B-but, your grades..."
Me: "Are doing absolutely fine, despite the fact that I've only been doing the first half of most of the online work."
Prof: "Why?"
Me: "Because the second half is always purposely designed to be missed, and even if you get it right, the program reads it wrong half the time. Plus, the first half is the stuff we actually use."
Prof: "How are your grades...?"
Me: "Doing so well? Because I focus on the in classwork, the labs, and the tests, all of which count much more than the online."
Prof: "...Just don't let anyone know about it, and you can keep listening to your music."
Me: "Yeah, I'll do that."

(To help you understand how bad his "teaching sections" were, know that he decided he was going to teach a lesson before the final, nonessay test, going over material that would be on it as well. Half the class openly slept through it and not a single person I know of failed because of that material)

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
History class last week. Our teacher is a big fat woman-child and I could teach her class in my sleep. We're juniors (Grade 11, for you who use those good ol' fashion numbers, not counting Kindergarten) and we get bonus point for being "artsy". And she grades based on the amount you write, not what you write. So ever since school began, I had her pegged, and so far in my answers to her questions I've called her fat, larger than the Third Reich at its peak, and many more things.

Any way, we were talking about the "Two Greatest Inventors in American History." Her list was: Thomas Edison and some guy who invented the elevator whose name escapes me at the moment. But the conversation went like this:

Me: *raises hand*
Her: Yes?
Me: Ever heard of Nikola Tesla?
Her: I don't think so. . .
Me: Okay.
Her: *Blank stare*
Me: Yes?
Her: Are you going to. . . I dunno. . . Tell me?
Me: No. I'm not. I don't want to.
Her: *Stupid grin, hits herself* <--- I SHIT YOU NOT

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Hobo Joe said:
Sovvolf said:
A substitute History teacher once claimed that it was the Romans that fought in the battle of Thermopylae. Though this was way before 300 came out and I guess it wasn't as common of knowledge as it is now. Still I'd have though an History teacher would have known it was Greeks versus Persians. Though pointing that out got me out in the hallway for the duration of the class.

Also the teacher that ripped my work up for using figurative and descriptive speech in a piece of fiction we had to write. I explained that what was written was figurative and was being used to increase the tension at that moment. However that got me into more trouble. I was only 8 at the time too... That sucked.
The Romans were actually involved in a Battle of Thermopylae, not the famous one however. They fought the Seleucids.
Which is quite possibly the reason the sub got confused. We were at the time learning about the famous and more well known battle (The one with the 300 Spartans and about 7000 other Greeks. Has I pointed out in my edit... The teacher could have been a Maths or Science teacher fetched in at the last minute to cover the lesson, so the teacher may not have been as well versed in his History.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
Back in the day, I think it was year 11, everyone in my maths class could out smart our teacher. He was subsequently fired for not knowing anything about the subect as we were teaching him in the end.

Makenzye

Sep 8, 2010
I think it's pretty common for many students to outsmart one or two or omre teachers. Though most of the students who do probably just stay quiet, because they don't want to look like jerks.

Or lazy. God knows that's why if I ever caught one of my instructors doing something wrong, I just wouldn't say anything. It's just a hassle, and wouldn't make the world a better place if I did. =/

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Yes with many bits of my technical know-how, both in high school and college. I don't think they ever kept up to date with things.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
I won an argument with my High School physics teacher by stating that if we DID have space ships that could travel the speed of light it wouldn't matter how long it took to get to other stars as time would stand still.

Frequen-Z said:
Nah, though one time in science we were discussing global warming, and I said that there was a Futurama episode that explained it perfectly, and asked if 'I brought in a DVD, could we watch it?'

He said yes (he was an awesome teacher) and so we spent the next days lesson watching Futurama.
And Al Gore used those clips in The Inconvenient Truth. It's just THAT good.
What did you say to him or her? If you don't mind.

Oomii

Dec 17, 2009
Kinda, I found an error on a worksheet once. Not a typo just something dumb, it said the sun was 5 trillion heres old. I don't think my teacher made the worksheet but thats okay, I still outsmarted whoever the hell made the thing.

kaveradeo

Jul 12, 2010
In first grade I fell asleep, then the teacher called on me to spell a word like terrible or something difficult for a first grader, BUT THEN i spelled it perfectly and tried to go back to sleep. She wouldn't let me sleep anymore.