Have you ever outsmarted your teacher?

volcanblade

Jan 11, 2010
hopeneverdies said:
My Freshman Science teacher. Twice.

First time was knowing what the Chemical Symbol for elements stood for, in this case Iron. Iron is Fe and he didn't know why. Well Fe is for ferrous, which means magnetic, which is what iron happens to be. For some reason, the entire class made fun of me.

The other time was about how significant figures are found. Sig figs are the preciseness of digits when dealing with decimals. He tried to teach it as the amount of digits behind the decimal point, which is wrong because you could have 10.0 and .001 and they would both have the same number of significant figures. He tried to tell me I was wrong, but I was using info from AP Chemistry that I learned from academic team. Now tell me, who would you trust more? The word of a freshman science teacher, or the word of a teacher that taught college level science? I didn't get laughed at thankfully.
Actually Fe stands for ferrum which means iron in latin and occasionally sword. Ferrous is, like ferric a type of iron compound. But I could be wrong.

OT: I've done it plenty of times but the best was getting my teacher to give back points to my friend because the question said "Do you think..." so I argued that he wanted an opinion not facts

ScRaT_the_destroyer

King of Fail
Nov 18, 2009
volcanblade said:
Actually Fe stands for ferrum which means iron in latin and occasionally sword. Ferrous is, like ferric a type of iron compound. But I could be wrong.

OT: I've done it plenty of times but the best was getting my teacher to give back points to my friend because the question said "Do you think..." so I argued that he wanted an opinion not facts
its all pointless as all these words have the same root do they not? so... both of you are right...

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
In high school I would occasionally forget homework and go to the bathroom to get it before it was gonna be turned in that day. Though I guess that might be exploiting their trust of a good student rather than outsmarting them- or hell, they probably knew what I was doing and didn't care.

There were some kids in my classes (especially in College) that would try to dispute things that the teacher would say to the class, even things like basic facts or things from the textbook- which was annoying since you knew they were just stubborn, or something their parents taught them was brought into question or contradicted.

Cat Cloud

Aug 12, 2010
I asked my Social Studies teacher what sort of government Thailand has just to see what she would say (the class focused on Asia, particularly east asia). She floundered for a few moments then said that was a good question to look up online.

Really? They have a constitutional monarchy (and a parlimentary democracy). And yes, I am a nerd.

Well, we were focusing on Indochina, it really shouldn't be too much to ask for at least the teacher to know something about Thailand's government. This was also during the time when there was some conflict (fighting/government controversities) going on in the nation's capitol. Which she never mentioned in class.

Anouther social studies teacher couldn't find Turkmenistan on a map, which I guess is more reasonable...

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Recently an English teacher asked when the Middle Ages began (We're reading the Canterbury Tales) I said 476 AD after the fall of Rome, she said 1066. I was ready to pull out my french history book but I restrained myself. Didn't want to anger the teacher.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
The Jakeinator said:
Does this count?

T: Why don't you do your homework?
Me: Because I'm stupid.
T: No your not.
Me: Yes I am.
T: How so?
Me: Because I don't do my Homework.
T: Touche.

It's a Paradox Sir.
That's not a paradox. It's a circular argument.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
volcanblade said:

To be pedantic and technical (and I do love being technical) they refer to the different oxidation states or ionic charges. A compound or solution containing Fe2+ ions is ferrous, while one containing Fe3+ ions is ferric.

I can't really remember any. I consider being able to hold a decent conversation with my professors outside a classroom setting to be accomplishment enough. One time in high school I colluded with a junior to help her pass Italian through subterfuge.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
none that i remember although i was graded once on a speech where the teacher actually counted it against me that the Speech was "too good to be true" the fat bastard just hates me and just loves thinking hes smarter than us

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Senior year in math class I did three extra credit problems quicker and simpler than the teacher(we were only supposed to do one). I ended up teaching the class how to do it. I ended up getting 85/50 on that test.

ravensheart18 said:
Sometimes I felt sorry for my highschool, I really did have more control than they did.
You and I both. They were probably lucky I was too lazy to do anything with it.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
The Jakeinator said:
Lukeje said:
The Jakeinator said:
Does this count?

T: Why don't you do your homework?
Me: Because I'm stupid.
T: No your not.
Me: Yes I am.
T: How so?
Me: Because I don't do my Homework.
T: Touche.

It's a Paradox Sir.
That's not a paradox. It's a circular argument.
But what if he just asked me why I don't do my Homework again? Then it never ends.

Then it would be a Paradox.
There is no contradiction, thus no paradox.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
I managed to convince my Religion teacher that aliens probably exist.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I once had an argument with a student teacher because he confused Thurgood Marshall with Strom Thurmond and took a couple minutes and a google search to get him to agree with me, but other than that, not that I can remember

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
Not so much in the 'out-smarted' vein, but in primary school, I was responsible for setting up all 10 of our computers (which we used for something called Success Maker). This is at about 10-11 years old.

A year or so later, my old science teacher drove past me walking home from secondary school, and I kid you not, SCREECHED to a halt. She asked me if I wouldn't mind going with her to fix a few of the computers that hadn't been working for a few weeks. Sorted them out within an hour of arriving!

Felt pretty pro for my 12 year old self, knowing more than the adults.