Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Isn't really a gameplay feature, but over 160 hours into Skyrim over 5 different characters and I never finished the main questline, not on a single character.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm pretty good at pulling up the wiki after a while, and really dig into the background of the game, boss strategies, fun things to do, all that jazz. So...not really? At least, none come to mind, unless we count that I didn't know you could play Skyrim successfully without a partner until I did a sneakypants playthrough.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
I went through Bulletstorm and didn't buy ammo or upgrades. I knew about it, but just wanted to see if it mattered.

It didn't.

Also, swapping ammo in New Vegas and the 1-0 mappable hotkeys.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
That you can actually switch zoom levels of Sniper Rifles in Metal Gear Solid 1 + 2. Explains why i found the weapon to be pretty useless outside of boss encounters.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
You can apparently aim down ironsights in Bioshock, something which would have come handy during some of the earlier parts of the game.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I didnt figure Bioshock had Iron sights until half way through my second playthrough. I didnt like them, not that I dislike Iron sights mind you, its just I thought the shooting mechanics in Bioshock were really weak, also it was annoying having to click the left stick to use it

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
ajemas said:
You can apparently aim down ironsights in Bioshock, something which would have come handy during some of the earlier parts of the game.
YOU BASTARD NINJA YOU

*grumble grumble*

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
First time I played Resident Evil 4, I walked everywhere. I was after I defeated the final boss that I realized that I could run.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
I went through Crysis 2 the first time not knowing that I could hold multiple explosive weapons at once or how to cycle through them. Until I figured it out in the middle of either my second or third playthrough, I'd just assumed the game was being really finicky about letting me equip rocket launchers and C4.

BiggyShackleton said:
Holding A in Fallout 3 & NV allows to drink continuously.
And this just blew my mind. After hundreds of hours in both games, I never knew you could do that until right now. o_0

Well, at least this'll make getting irradiated for Moira in Fallout 3 go a bit faster from now on...

Stephen Mack

Oct 21, 2011
I had logged many long days in Minecraft before a friend told me I can use L-shift to avoid falling off edges. That and sprinting. He changed my life.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
It took me forever to realize I could fast-travel in Oblivion.

Oh the walking... So much walking...

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
Not sure if this is broad enough to count, but playing through FFX when I was younger I could never ever figure out how to do Lulu's Overdrive. For anyone who hasn't played Final Fantasy 10, essentially when characters do or take enough damage, their overdrive bar fills, allowing them to use a very strong ability.

Activating these abilities generally required you hit the correct buttons on your ps2 controller or have very precise timing. In the case of Lulu, her overdrive required you spin the right analog stick enough times to build up power.

As a child, I could never figure it out. Went through the whole game being unable to use Lulu's overdrive, and with her being the prime magic damage dealer in the group, I missed out on quite a fair bit of damage.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
F-Zero X, had it for the N64 since I had the damn thing and I didn't knew you could boost until I played F-Zero GX and then the first F-Zero for the SNES, since that also had bossts I just was confused as to why X didn't, turns out it does, this means it took me around 6-7 years to figure out 1 of the main features of that game, and I played it non-stop, I have no idea how I missed it, specially since it tells you "You've got the boost power" after the first lap is completed.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I played through Catherine . And didn't realise there was a "back" button go go backwards in moves in case i made a mistake . So many deaths could have been avoided . But i did manage to beat it so ...

UBERfionn

Jun 7, 2010
SoranMBane said:
BiggyShackleton said:
Holding A in Fallout 3 & NV allows to drink continuously.
And this just blew my mind. After hundreds of hours in both games, I never knew you could do that until right now. o_0

Well, at least this'll make getting irradiated for Moira in Fallout 3 go a bit faster from now on...
Wow.
Just Wow.
How did I not know that.
I'm going to go and rethink my life.