Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
Play through all of Deus Ex:HR, get to the final level and accidentally blow a door off its hinges. Realise how stupid I've been for the entire game wondering why doors had strengths...

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Metalix Knightmare said:
So your friend didn't know about Timed hits?
Nope. He somehow made it through the game without them. I salute his ability to continue playing the game without them.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Quala said:
A friend discovered back button quicksaving in ME3 a good ways through the game, and then immediately told me.
You're not the only one. I'm getting ready to start my 2nd playthrough. Glad I know that now.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Freechoice said:
I went through Bulletstorm and didn't buy ammo or upgrades. I knew about it, but just wanted to see if it mattered.

It didn't.

Also, swapping ammo in New Vegas and the 1-0 mappable hotkeys.
what do you mean by ammo swapping in new vegas? that's one I might have missed..

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I Have No Idea said:
El Danny said:
I Have No Idea said:
Z of the Na said:
Mass Effect 2.

I was halfway through the suicide mission when I realized I could press "Back" on the Xbox 360 controller to holster my weapon. Not really useful in combat, but it surprised me nonetheless.
And I HATE how they took away that feature in ME3. Honestly, I feel like a complete idiot walking around with my gun pointed straight in front of me during during the entire course of a combat mission. "Hey, I killed all the guys! Can I put away my gun? No? Well then I guess I'll just walk around looking like Paranoid Joe, ready to shoot at absolutely anything.
Hold B or X(I think).
*SMASHES HEAD AGAINST WALL*

This is what happens when there's no manual, EA.
Does this apply to the final fight with Kai Leng? Where (at least for me) if I didn't run away fast enough he one-shotted me 10 seconds into the fight?

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
5-0 said:
I didn't realise until completing GTA IV that while locked on I could slightly nudge the analogue stick up to get a perfect headshot.
#

wat... wat... when did this happen?...

witness51

Oct 17, 2010
I heard that I missed just about everything in Tales of Vesperia. I'd play through again to see how it was with all the non-story related stuff involved, but I hate Karol too much. And the princess girl. Fuck her. (But seriously how do you open the hot springs?)

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I only recently found out that after all these years, there are hidden items in Pokemon. Found out by Chuggaconroy's pokemon LP, Never even knew there were hidden items in grass or rocks.

In Skyward Sword i rejected the Shield Bash as basically useless. It wasn't until near the end of the game that i found that the Shield Bash Counter is extremely useful, which makes that annoying pirate miniboss a piece of cake instead of the second hardest enemy next to the final boss...

I also went through Pokemon Crystal only leveling my Totadile, that was just me being bad at games though. Not sure how i got him past level 100 >.>

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Divinity 2: I didn't realised there are more skills underneath the Skills menu (you have to scroll down) which include Healing spell! I spent the first half of the game quick-save and quick-load to make sure I don't use up any health potions (they are in very limited supplies.)
Skyrim: I didn't realised you could dash!
Dark souls: I didn't realised I could zoom in and out when shooting with a bow!

Joey Morris

Mar 30, 2012
Got to the end of Final Fantasy VIII and never got my weapon past level 2 because of an enemy I was supposed to draw a specific Summon from in disc 1 so I would have the ability to refine a specific item necessary to upgrade my weapons so I ended up only doing about 700-800 damage per melee strike with my level 90+ characters and couldn't finish the game because I didn't like it.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
I have a very sad story. I loved the game FF X-2. Dressing Sim aside, the fighting was frantic and the boss fights were extremely satisfying. AND you just had to manage 3 characters instead of 12+ where more than half of those you don't care about or use...

Now as anyone knows who may have played it...to get the best costume, but most silly looking, is to get a perfect 100% completion (Item Collecting). Okay, so after you get 100% a cut-scene is supposed to play to show you getting the costume, I skipped it by accident because I did not know that the cutscene was related to the costume...until it was too late. I had saved the game believing that I needed to do something else. I checked online and found out that there is a glitch where IF you skip the cutscene, you do NOT get the costume. T_T I died a little inside that day. The work to do all that is just...too much.... to do again...

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Oh, I know one, the Hacking in Fallout 3/NV. I played through both games 3-4 times each before learning that in the hacking mini game if you find [] {} () brackets, you can get duds removed and get your tries back.

I find it just makes it harder then just hardlining it

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Quaxar said:
I finished Saints Row 3 without ever upgrading any weapon I had. Not that it mattered that much since you can overkill anyway but holy shit was I surprised when I discovered I could improve my weapons in the middle of the second playthrough.
...Wasn't that an objective in like, the first mission you get when you actually reach steelport as well?

OP: I never realised you could be stealthy in a lot of the Perfect Dark Zero missions. I have no idea why either.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Pedosmile said:
riottrio said:
TheFunPolice said:
I played through Metro: 2033 without knowing you could buy or upgrade your weapons..I played my whole first playthrough with the shitty weapons you pick up, and a sack full of moneyz
what. you can upgrade weapons in Metro 2033? Damn! That would have been helpful.

I have never used "throw gil" in any final fantasy game. i saw my brother do it and it was the most useless attack i've ever seen. I have however, used the 'bribe' skill in Final Fantasy 10, if only to get the rarest goodies from monsters.

Pedosmile said:
In FFX i dint realise you could use the orbs to make your character stronger till i fought Yunalesca needless to say my hours of grinding payed off when i finally found it out
...but....but.... how!? (did you actually manage to get that far with characters you had left with 'level 1' stats. I can understand why you didn't know how to use the sphere system, i was smashing the 'o' and 'x' button as quick as i could through that boring text tutorial.
Well i just grinded alot i think i was around lvl 80 something in the zanarkland i think i spelled that right but i just thought it was meant to be a really hard game i had alot of potions and phoenix downs at all times and i allways kept all my armors as best i could i loged in that game over 120 hours lol
wait, but grinding a lot and getting your levels up doesn't actually make you stronger in FFX unless you use orbs. Levels in FFX are basically just tokens for moving around the grid, they don't make you stronger by themselves. I mean, without using any orbs, you'd have less then 500 health

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Broady Brio said:
In Fallout: New Vegas, I missed out on Caravan until my second playthrough.

Then I found out it's the biggest pile of shit, so never mind.
Caravan is the most broken game ever.

If you play it against shop keepers, they use their shop cap stockpile to play Caravan with

It's also stupidly easy if you build your deck with just 6s, 8s, 9s, 10s and Kings. Play your 10s, play kings on them, place 6s on those, and win. Alternatively, play 9s, Kings on those, then play 8s on top of those. It's stupidly easy to win at Caravan once you know how to play it.

So basically, buy everything, then play Caravan with them to get all of your money back, and then sell the stuff to vendors that don't play caravan for their caps.

Mind=blown?

Note that vendors who play Caravan (the courier guy in Primm, the NCR outpost lady, the Dinosaur Gift Shop guy in Novac) will only play a few games before the game realizes what the heck it's letting you do and they stop, so make sure those games count.