Hawking: It's Space Or Bust For Humanity

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
You people keep worrying about the sun.

I am more likely worried for the fact were are straight into a collision course with the Andromeda system.

Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070529091407.htm

Yes, there I said it. We are going to die, EITHER WAY if we stick in the Milky Way. Savvy?
"Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules, and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress. " - Kurt Vonnegut

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Saerain said:
I've never quite understood the 'nuke ourselves to oblivion' fear. Sure, we have the power to do so, but I defy anyone to come up with a scenario in which it would be done that doesn't require a doomsday cult somehow getting control of most of it.
It very nearly happened during the Cuban Missile Crisis. There were three officers on board a Russian nuclear submarine who were authorised to fire nukes if they all agreed on doing so. Two of them agreed that it should be done, and only the third man prevented the launch of a nuclear missile that would have almost certainly led to all-out nuclear war.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I agree completely, we need to go and Colonize other planets. We should start small and go make a small town on the Moon or Mars, and work our way up to farther away colonies. Though I am not sure us finding aliens=Christopher Columbus discovering America, it is possible.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Isn't this slightly old news? I'm sure he's said as much before...
Not that it isn't completely true. Earth'll always be precious, but all of us staying here at once is just asking for trouble.

As for where? ell, there are plenty of places we can go. Technologically speaking, we could colonise most solid places in the solar system at this point - only problem is resources, which right now simply couldn't support the effort, and further technology'll just make that increasingly viable until we can spread comfortably.

oranger

May 27, 2008
He means, by "a few centuries", that if civilization falls, it won't be able to start over.
There isn't enough metal in the ground for another bronze/iron age.

And before somebody starts yelling "recycling!", think about how fast most metals degrade and oxidize when exposed to atmo, lasting decades at the most, when technological and social development would take centuries.
We would enter into an everlasting bone age, and never go to space. Ever.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Straying Bullet said:
You people keep worrying about the sun.

I am more likely worried for the fact were are straight into a collision course with the Andromeda system.

Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070529091407.htm

Yes, there I said it. We are going to die, EITHER WAY if we stick in the Milky Way. Savvy?
The Andromeda Nebula is a galaxy, and the odds of our solar system being destroyed are pretty slim. Watching Andromeda move ever closer to the Milky Way be one hell of a spectacle though.
Pretty slim? I would say pretty inevitable. Now I agree this process will take billion of years before we are actually caught up in a danger but still, we ARE going to go fusionw with this thing. Even if we survived that long enough and made world peace, if we cannot bail from this entire system. Well...I don't know what to say. Rock on!
Nope, the density of star systems isn't nearly as high as you might think. The Black Holes at the center of both galaxies will fuse, but the vast majority of star systems will remain intact. 'course, Sol will be giving us more trouble than Andromeda ever could...

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
To be fair, all through the 90's video games were telling us the future was "THE YEAR 20XX".

We know that X is the Roman numeral for "10".

Therefore, the future is the year 201,010.
I'm not talking video games here. And besides that everyone knows that X is a variable, jeeze.:p

Think of '2010' for example. We're supposed to have made first contact by now for crying out loud!

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
What's with the picture of Mass Effect in an article about Stephen Hawking?

Blueruler182 said:
Okay, speaking as a Native American, if you're really thinking we need to go into space, and you think alien contact would be like Columbus coming to the new world, then wouldn't the smartest thing to do be making contact with the aliens? I mean, they would integrate us into their society eventually, in which case we'd have technology and we'd be spread across the stars. Granted, there's the problem of years upon years of us being put down, enslaved, all that fun crap, but in the end we'd come out better than having nuked ourselves. And that's assuming the worse, which I'm getting more and more annoyed with scientists because of.
So as a Native American, you're culture is better off now than it would be if you weren't nearly exterminated? If the choice comes between that and not meeting aliens at all, even though I'm a big fan of meeting aliens, I would have to go with never meeting them.

stinkychops said:
Arkhangelsk said:
Very true. Either we'll annihilate each other, or the planet itself will.
snip.
You say you disagree with the planet destroying itself and then you bring up global warming? And last time I checked global warming isn't even real.

Nations slipping into 3rd world countries would most likely lead to extermination. The battle over money, food, water, shelter, etc., would lead to war. And aren't 3rd world countries the ones suffering from diseases? So the threat of a pandemic would be much greater.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
The fusion core will melt in first with the other one, but there is a chance we might be sling-shotted far away or still be 'pulled' somehow into that giant sucking intertwined core and still die. But we are talking of a span of billion of years. I am not saying it's definite but there is a chance we might survive or destined to die.
Watch the little purple ball :)
There's a possibility of either occurring, true, but it's a rather slim one. Although if it turns out that Sol is doomed (prior to Sol itself turning into a Red Giant), there's nothing we can do anyway. As I said earlier, watching Andromeda get ever closer will be one hell of a spectacle, but none of us will be able to witness it.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Straying Bullet said:
The fusion core will melt in first with the other one, but there is a chance we might be sling-shotted far away or still be 'pulled' somehow into that giant sucking intertwined core and still die. But we are talking of a span of billion of years. I am not saying it's definite but there is a chance we might survive or destined to die.
Watch the little purple ball :)
There's a possibility of either occurring, true, but it's a rather slim one. Although if it turns out that Sol is doomed (prior to Sol itself turning into a Red Giant), there's nothing we can do anyway. As I said earlier, watching Andromeda get ever closer will be one hell of a spectacle, but none of us will be able to witness it.
Too bad the video ended a bit too pre-mature, seems they aren't really sure. But I guess you and I will never know, only the people who survived to that point. But I am glad you showed me this, I remember this from "The Universe" documentaries. Really interesting.
It's not really a premature ending. The whole event will take place over hundreds of million of years, so this is about as detailed of an approximation as one can make. And apparently I made a mistake vis-a-vis my statement that Sol will survive. The collision is predicted to take place in ~4.5 billion years (as per wikipedia), at which point Sol may very well have turned into a Red Giant. Guess Earth is screwed either way...
Glad you like The Universe! It's one of my favourite shows on the History Channel, despite the oversimplifications.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
TylerC said:
What's with the picture of Mass Effect in an article about Stephen Hawking?

Blueruler182 said:
Okay, speaking as a Native American, if you're really thinking we need to go into space, and you think alien contact would be like Columbus coming to the new world, then wouldn't the smartest thing to do be making contact with the aliens? I mean, they would integrate us into their society eventually, in which case we'd have technology and we'd be spread across the stars. Granted, there's the problem of years upon years of us being put down, enslaved, all that fun crap, but in the end we'd come out better than having nuked ourselves. And that's assuming the worse, which I'm getting more and more annoyed with scientists because of.
So as a Native American, you're culture is better off now than it would be if you weren't nearly exterminated? If the choice comes between that and not meeting aliens at all, even though I'm a big fan of meeting aliens, I would have to go with never meeting them.

That's the thing, though. The choice is that or total destruction of the human race. Again, assuming the aliens are bad guys. Given those two choices, destruction of culture or complete extinction, I think the loss of culture can be taken.

And I'm not trying to make light of what my people went through, I'm just looking at the two options from a logical standpoint.