Heavy Rain Creator: "The U.S. Has Problems With My Games"

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Actually i really liked The Nomal Soul and The Indigo Prophecy...

the problem in those games, is that they felt too short and the story could've develloped a further investigation in more metaphysical/philosophical questions... but when you're on a short budget maybe that's what happens. The Indigo Prophecy was awesome from start to half of it, then it felt like the Matrix 3 which "sucked ass" and gave a blow to the spectator/player.

Omikron, well it was great, original, and had David Bowie as one of the Soundtracks dudes (he actually appears as a character singing).

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
While I have not play Cage's games (I'm a PC gamer)I do feel that this article does have a point; with the concentration on FPS's and the like, game publishers are not promoting hard to classify and indie games are far as they can. There is of course reasons for this, thesekind of games are unlikely to make the massive returns that publishers desire even if they were heavily promoted, so they aren't promoted.

This can be seen as good both on consoles and on things like steam are ignored and forgotten because either publishers are unwilling to promoted them or like on steam the publishers are doing it direct and therefore are too small to afford a promotional campagin of any scale.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
'It's a valid point.' How? The gaming sites pimped the hell out of that game. He's just a p'oed french-men. I'm sorry that's redundant. He's just a french-men.

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
I think most people would agree that heavy rain was not a bad game, so thats not a good excuse to cuss him out. Not that I have played much of the game myself.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I won't comment on his opinions, because I didn't have any interest in Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit. I will note, however, that I was intrigued by what I had heard about Nomad Soul and was interested in it, but it just seemed to sort of... disappear. It sounded like an interesting idea, at least.

Methinks perhaps my captcha is making its opinions felt on Cage's pronouncements? (Iciest claim?)

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
I'm not from america so I guess I shouldn't be putting my opinion in here but hey whatever.
I don't personally need guns, fighting, nudity, or anything else devs and publishers seem to believe a game must contain in order to sell. What I need is good entertainment value which can come in any kind of packaging.
But I played Heavy Rain and I just plain didn't enjoy myself, simple as that, and no amount of guns would change that.

I actually remember this guy making another excuse a few weeks ago as to why the game didn't sell (if anyone could remind me what that excuse was I'd appreciate it cause it's bugging me now)

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
LavaLampBamboo said:
Jesus Christ Cage, could you be anymore of an artist stereotype? "Oh, my work isn't understood, oh I own interactive fiction, oh America doesn't get me."

Here's an idea, make a good game, and then we'll talk.
Word.

I'd almost agree with him if for the fact that he's no where near as great as he seems to think he is. Don't get me wrong - he has a lot of good ideas, but he sucks at trying to put them all together.

Heavy Rain is intense and exciting when you look at it on a chapter by chapter basis, but when you try to look at it as a whole it falls apart like wet tissue paper - and he seems to think that there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Its like he could be a great game designer if he'd just stop being so blind towards his games' faults and blame other people for his missteps.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
vrbtny said:
Andy Chalk said:
Heavy Rain creator David Cage says his games don't sell well in the U.S. because American marketers aren't interested in anything that doesn't include guns and guts.

"The games I make don't include a gun," he continued. "Very often, American marketing departments have a problem with this. They have this image of their market being gun-loving rednecks. It's completely wrong."
Here Here David Cage. And just to back you up with evidence.

Wow, that Sims series has a lot of blood and guts in it, eh?
yeah but what guy is gonna buy the game unless theyre just gonna torture the little bastards? i know i did.

OT: i see where hes coming from though if he made something like okami or braid then we'd probably stop with the whole "his games are bad so he has no right to complain" argument. yeah the games werent the best but i liked the story of heavy rain. hes right though on the whole fact that theres too many games that are popular because they have "blood and guts" but they're not the only ones that are, so he's just generalizing.

BTW: enjoy this

http://youtu.be/_56257iS77A

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
This reminds me of THQ saying that Homefront wasnt a bad game and that it was just too deep and controversial for people... seems people just cant admit when they make bad games.
Portal 1& 2- didnt involve guns and guts and still very popular

Particulate

May 27, 2011
jpoon said:
Games don't have to have guns, just replayability!
This

I think that's what really killed Heavy Rain the most. Once you completed it that was that. There was no going back and going through a second time. The structure of the "gameplay" with all the timed events meant that there was literally one answer in each scenario to advance the plot and there was only one possibly ending. Hell Modern Warfare 2 only had one ending but with all the guns, paths, and nooks there was quite a few ways to actually play through the individual levels. There's a difference between being knocked for having a linear level design but having extensive playstyle options and just being a semi-interactive movie.

I personally didn't like Heavy Rain because the plot was boring and gameplay was agonizingly dull. It seemed to be extremely lacking in the actual "play" department. As for "American Audiences" I hardly think what's said applies. Does America not harbor fans of Ico and Deus Ex? Ico's more about the art than clubbing things with a stick and Deus Ex can be completed without actually killing anyone. But unlike Heavy Rain they offer compelling narratives that, while Ico's is very simple, actually get people to come back over and over

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, at least he's blaming the marketing, not the consumers themselves.

I enjoyed Indigo Prophecy. Omikron, what I played of it, was kind of a train wreck. And I don't have a PS3, so it looks like I'm not going to get the opportunity to play Heavy Rain.

Certainly I think there is a market for non-shooter adventure games; I'm just not entirely certain that it's among the AAA line-up. The Professor Laytons and Sam & Maxs seem to do better on the smaller scale, through episodic content or lower-overhead formats like the DS.

Actually, it might be interesting to see what Cage would do with an episodic game.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
wish this smelly Frenchmen would stop crying about this, and just get back on the horse and make a new game

cyrad

Dec 24, 2008
Cage, put yourself in the marketing department's shoes. How are you going to market a video game that's arguably not a game to begin with?

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Well, as far as I can tell the only thing that stopped me from playing Heavy Rain is that it was PS3 exclusive. That was a dumb move for a a third-party developer. (Aren't they?)

That and you're really just trying to make movies not games. :\