Heavy Rain Creator: "The U.S. Has Problems With My Games"

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
No, the United States does not have problems with your games.

No the problem they have is that you are an insufferable asshole who bitches and complains every time someone criticizes your work.
No kidding; David Cage is the most pretentious, thin-skinned, egotistical, self-hating, pseudo-wannabe-intellectual in the ENTIRE industry. This prick is like M. Night Shyamalan after The Village had a mixed reception; blaming everyone for his failures and using strawman arguments so he wouldn't have to admit that he might have some weaknesses that he needs to work on. Doesn't help that WAAAAAY too many journalists let him get away with crap like this. Seriously, if I want a game that tackles mature subject matter in an adult way I'll play the Parasite Eve series, Vagrant Story, Catherine, Tactics Ogre, Persona, or any of the many, many, MANY games I have that had far better narratives than this ass' half-baked direct-to-dvd Seven ripoff ever did.

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
MurderousToaster said:
I think the title would be more apt if it said

"The World Has A Problem With Heavy Rain Creator."

Seriously. Every time this guy opens his mouth, he seems even more like a pretentious prick.
lol this thread
Also this I agree with this guy

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
exobook said:
While I have not play Cage's games (I'm a PC gamer)I do feel that this article does have a point; with the concentration on FPS's and the like, game publishers are not promoting hard to classify and indie games are far as they can. There is of course reasons for this, thesekind of games are unlikely to make the massive returns that publishers desire even if they were heavily promoted, so they aren't promoted.

This can be seen as good both on consoles and on things like steam are ignored and forgotten because either publishers are unwilling to promoted them or like on steam the publishers are doing it direct and therefore are too small to afford a promotional campagin of any scale.
I don't think it's lack of promotion I think it's more lack of the fact it's a big pile of QTEs (and if i remember right Indigo Prophecy is on the PC, so do some bloody research before making a claim like that). Heavy Rain didn't look bad but from what I played it wasn't a game that was compelling not like Phoenix Wright or Etrian Odyssey, which didn't get much of any promotion's from Capcom. But I agree on the no promoting thing, Sega released Phantasy Star Portable 2 on the PSP and it did not sell well at all and I blame poor promoting, I could only find ONE trailer and it was introducing the story people and no gameplay at all. And when it didn't sell well it was because of piracy as they say.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I agree on Indigo Prophecy being a fucking stupid name.

But I played that game, and yeah it started out fine. It was new. It was interesting. Then the story got properly introduced and I was completely put off. It was absolute shite. Maybe writing a good story would help?

I can't comment on his other games, never played them.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I can't speak for the rest of America, but I don't like his games because the writing is shit and poorly integrated with the gameplay. That's fine if you're making Doom Mario Brothers or something, but if the game's selling point is its story, it better actually be a damn good story, not the surprise robots from Indigo Prophecy or the mass of plot holes, obvious contrivances, blatant contradiction and poorly handled cliches that was Heavy Rain. I mean, as far as writing and acting goes, they weren't even good by video game standards, and that's a bar set so low you have to swim through magma to even find the thing. Also, spending more than year talking about how "mature" shouldn't mean blood and tits and then putting your lead female character in Playboy smacks of hypocrisy.

To all the people who thought Heavy Rain had a good story, I suggest you go read a book and stop being twelve.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Lord Beautiful said:
They didn't sell well in America? Shocker.

Guys, I'm curious. Did those games sell well anywhere?
I bought it, a special edition version too. Wasn't really disappointed with it because I didn't set my hopes high. I do believe he has a point about marketing without guns though I'd replace "guns" with "standard game features". They're interactive movies at heart rather than games.

He does need to realise though that his "games" don't really appeal to a mass market, especially ones with some big plot holes like...

Ethan blacking out twice in the game and then never really saying why after it's established he's not the Origami Killer

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
Best part of Indigo Prophecy was when my friend's Xbox crashed and the controller was still vibrating. Took like fifteen minutes to get around to turning the machine off.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Now Heavy Rain was great when it came to story and all that stuff. But I couldn't play it a second time. The intro is way too slow. And I already know everything that happens, since I perfected it one time through. And it was $60 for a few hours. DOnt get me wrong though. i loved the game and recommend to play it, but for full price no. And you dont need blood and guts to sell to the US. You need a game that isnt QTE.

Srassy

Sep 20, 2009
I can't imagine any of Cage's future games will be selling any better because I won't be playing them. :( Heavy Rain was interesting. It was definitely intense and looked pretty and kept you playing long into the night. Finished the game and all you feel is pissed what with all the plot holes (I'm hardly a person to notice plot holes but these were bad).

Normally I would be a bit forgiving but what with David Cage's 'I don't have to explain shit' attitude from a previous article he was in, I honestly don't think his stories will improve any time soon. And then he'll use this argument again when people wise up to him.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
And it is because it was not supported that I can't find a copy of Omikron anywhere. That seems to be a flipping of cause and effect. They underpublished because they thought they'd undersell, so the game was undermarketed and didn't sell many copies. The only way I heard of it was through a demo that came with my PC copy of Tomb Rader Gold.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Maybe Gamers in the US don't play games to feel depressed. Maybe we play games for FUN, for ENTERTAINMENT. Why would I want to live out a fantasy where my entire life got fucked 6 ways from Sunday? That's not a game, that's a novel or dramatic movie.

I sure as hell never picked up a game thinking "WOW!! This looks so sad and depressing! This is gonna be awesome!".

thefreeman0001 said:
theres a typo in the article

David Cage doesn't make "normal" games.

it should be David Cage doesn't make "good" games.
Oh yea, that too.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Crappy story, more interactive film than actual game, no real replay value... Yes, this is obviously not his fault.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Whats that? Your movies didn't make much money or get you a award.. Oh well, next time try making a game.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Well, at least he's blaming marketers instead of gamers.

Though the audacity involved here is pretty staggering. Especially since several of his games have been reviewed as less-than-stellar (Fahrenheit, for instance, is widely known to really break down after about the midpoint).

Also, there is a huge difference between story-driven games and games that just aren't games. Making a "choose your adventure" movie is not the same thing as making a story-driven game.

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
I loved the execution of Indigo Prophecy right up until the plot fell apart in the middle. I really wish it had held together, and I was livid when the story degraded into simian fecal smears on a script page.

On the other hand, I would've played Heavy Rain if I had a PS3 or if it were on 360. As it stands, I won't be able to afford Skyrim on release day, let alone a new console.

Moral of the story: your game design is fine, I'd love to play another interactive movie so long as you HIRE SOMEONE FUCKING COMPETENT TO WRITE IT! *whew* OK, I'm better now.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
It may be the fact that his games kinda suck, much as I loved Fahrenheit it did go from cool detective mystery to batshit insane at the end.

LoneFullmetal

Nov 14, 2009
Gnoupi said:
Shameless said:
Here is how to make your games sell in the US Mr.Cage, make them into actual games rather than a QTE fest with a plot with more holes than a sponge.
And when you have holes in your plot, please don't fill them with a combination of conspiracy/ancient Mayan curse/sentient AI/army secrets/Matrix fights/Hadouken. Really. Especially when you started with a relatively intriguing premise.
I remember some DBZ action in there too.

Indigo Prophecy started so good, and around the end it just turned to complete shit no matter which alternate ending you got. You'd think with so many ending at least 1 of them would be good, but no =/