Help me see into the mind of a guy.

Jim2y

Oct 14, 2010
Chancie said:
Alright, I need your guys' opinion on something.

There's this guy in my college math class who's always staring at me. We sit on opposite sides of the room, and I'm constantly catching him looking over at me. I'm one row behind him, on the opposite end. Unfortunately, I've never really had the chance to talk to him or anything like that.
Note, if it helps: Yes, he looks away when I look back. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

My sister is convinced he's got a thing for me. I'm not sure, and I don't want to try anything and sort of "jump the gun," so to speak.

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing. Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
Help me, please? :/
How do you dress? He could just be staring at your chest. (unintentional rhyme get!)

RocksW

Feb 26, 2010
Apologies I havent read much of the thread...

But hes definitely interested. Jump the gun! If it were me, I might be slightly embarassed that it wasnt me who took the initiative but id be absolutely delighted otherwise. Its only stupid convention that id feel embarrassed anyway. And id quickly forget. I did before!

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
Sometimes when I space out, the middle distance I stare into is occupied by a person. I'm in ROTC, so that person is usually a guy, which is awkward. Other than that, where is the clock? Where are you on the almighty 1-10 scale? Is there a way he would have noticed you in your mutual natural habitat and decided that you had a kick ass personality? All these things are relevant.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
You really don't want to be in the mind of a guy. It's not fun.

Staring can mean anything from he likes you to he thinks you're a freak. Sadly, there's no direct correlation.
I would have to agree with this simple answer. You've noticed that he's taken an interest in you. Are you interested in him at all? If so, then you should probably approach him for conversation. Don't be silly and do the, "I noticed you staring at me, do you like what you see," kind of thing. Just find a more casual moment (before or after class) to make a random comment to him that might lead to conversation. Depending on how long it lasts, that initial conversation can help you gauge whether or not you should pursue any interest, or do your best to let him down gently.

I'd say at this point, the ball is prettymuch in your court. You've noticed he has interest in you. Are you going to explore that interest or not?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
webzu said:
Saltyk said:
Chancie said:
Alright, I need your guys' opinion on something.

There's this guy in my college math class who's always staring at me. We sit on opposite sides of the room, and I'm constantly catching him looking over at me. I'm one row behind him, on the opposite end. Unfortunately, I've never really had the chance to talk to him or anything like that.
Note, if it helps: Yes, he looks away when I look back. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

My sister is convinced he's got a thing for me. I'm not sure, and I don't want to try anything and sort of "jump the gun," so to speak.

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing. Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
Help me, please? :/
I'm going to use the Occam's Razor approach. Basically, the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

The simplest answer is that he has some attraction to you. Basically he thinks you're cute/interesting/smart/etc or some combination thereof.

The best way to test this would be to talk to him. Especially if you are interested. Otherwise, just ignore him.
You, sir use one good approach, also, thanks for showing me how that was written, I ha no idea how to write "Occam's", I thought it was "Arkams" or something
Thanks. Always a good way to think things out.

I'm not sure about Arkams, but Arkham's Asylum is a prison for the criminally insane in the DC Universe. Lol I do understand why you thought it was spelled that way. I swear it sounds like people pronounce it with an "r". Thank God for Google and it's spell-check.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
Plurralbles said:
invite him back to your dorm or home of any sort and see what happens.
I'd suggest asking him to go over notes after class, and go from there, ideally in a public place. That leaves options open if things seem strange, but still gives any budding attraction a chance to express itself.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Soylent Bacon said:
Just make sure the clock isn't on the other side of you or something. He could easily be looking at something like that near you, or at someone. I don't know how you look or dress, but he could be checking you out, or checking out someone next to you or behind you. I'm not gonna pretend guys don't do that, but it's not necessarily the only reason he could be looking that way either.

I doubt he has a thing for you, specifically, if you don't know each other. It could just seem that way because people generally feel like they are the center of attention, whether they are or not.
Why has this post not gotten more attention? Seriously, evaluate your position in relation to this guy and see if he really is staring at you and not someone/something else.

Also, are you sure he's staring at you? Perhaps he only glances at you coincidentally before you turn to look at him. Or maybe he's like me and his eyes are attracted to motion, glancing at you as you are turning toward him. Given the static environment of a classroom, it's very easy to be immediately drawn toward sources of movement.

In short, be rational about this and narrow down the possibilities.

Damiros Tomacos

Aug 11, 2010
I think he's trying to rape you,then disembowel you so he can cook your intestines then eat them :D ..Probably just my opinion though ^^

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
D'aww...
He likes you, weather it be your personality or your looks he's got a thing for you :p

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
It would be nice if the OP would actually respond to the abundant amount of answers in this thread. I'd like to see a conclusion, here.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
lucky_sharm said:
It would be nice if the OP would actually respond to the abundant amount of answers in this thread. I'd like to see a conclusion, here.
I actually haven't had class since I made this topic, so I don't really have anything to add. I'll have the class I mentioned tomorrow.

Sorry I didn't respond to everyone individually. The topic got flooded a lot faster than I was expecting, but thanks to everyone that added their two cents. I really do appreciate it.