Help me see into the mind of a guy.

Magnesium360

FDA Approved!
Mar 9, 2010
Chancie said:
Alright, I need your guys' opinion on something.

There's this guy in my college math class who's always staring at me. We sit on opposite sides of the room, and I'm constantly catching him looking over at me. I'm one row behind him, on the opposite end. Unfortunately, I've never really had the chance to talk to him or anything like that.
Note, if it helps: Yes, he looks away when I look back. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

My sister is convinced he's got a thing for me. I'm not sure, and I don't want to try anything and sort of "jump the gun," so to speak.

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing. Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
Help me, please? :/
If he always looks away, he's shy about being caught looking at you. So, yeah. He probably likes you. If he was just staring he wouldn't look away.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008

I think this one picture can pretty much answer your question.

Okay, serious answer, he stares at you because he probably finds you attractive. I'd say it's more because he thinks you're cute (I tend to stare more at cute girls than hot girls, if you cath my drift). Either that or the wall behind you must be really f**king interesting, mean come on, there's a cute girl in front of it!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Chancie said:

There's this guy in my college math class who's always staring at me. We sit on opposite sides of the room, and I'm constantly catching him looking over at me. I'm one row behind him, on the opposite end. Unfortunately, I've never really had the chance to talk to him or anything like that.
Note, if it helps: Yes, he looks away when I look back. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

My sister is convinced he's got a thing for me. I'm not sure, and I don't want to try anything and sort of "jump the gun," so to speak.

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing. Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
Thats the ''I like her but I am too scared to talk to her'' look, go and say ''hi'', then watch as he is dumb struck and searches his brain for something to say.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Fire bad. Tree pretty.

You pretty. What to say? Dunno... You pretty!

It's flaringly obvious that he likes you, no doubt about it. And I mean 'like' as in 'REALLY REALLY likes' you.

He's probably shy and can't think of something to say without making a fool of himself.

If you think he's date material. Just help him a little, would you? He's a nervous wreck if you even get close to him.

webzu

Jul 31, 2009
Callate said:
My guess would be

1) Yes, he's attracted to you,
2) He's probably has as little experience with the opposite sex as you describe, and
3) He feels, to some extent, that it's better not to seek your company than risk hurt feelings, rejection, and/or to look foolish in front of his peers.

If you want his attention (which I don't really think has been clarified), you would probably help allay his fears a lot if you learned his name and just said "Hello . How are you doing on the assignment?" (Or some such.)
in my own experience just by using his name you could make him even more shy or even slightly wierded out (this only applies maybe if he doesn't know your name or doesn't think you know his)

Saltyk said:
Chancie said:

I'm going to use the Occam's Razor approach. Basically, the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

The simplest answer is that he has some attraction to you. Basically he thinks you're cute/interesting/smart/etc or some combination thereof.

The best way to test this would be to talk to him. Especially if you are interested. Otherwise, just ignore him.
You, sir use one good approach, also, thanks for showing me how that was written, I ha no idea how to write "Occam's", I thought it was "Arkams" or something

That_Swedish_Guy

Aug 9, 2010
As everyone else has already said what he is this is more about asking him out/getting to know him. If you want to get to know him, ask him questions about how his study is going; or if you share a common intrest talk to him about that. If you want to ask him out, but don't want to go up to him and say it, a note in a locker or the like does the trick very well (it worked when someone did it to me). Basically, try to make him feel comfertable being near you.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
BonsaiK said:
I love it when I find a thread like this and the consensus of advice in it is generally pretty solid and I don't feel the need to add anything much.
You have thought them well.
*sage nod*

Just, um, ignore all the other threads where common sense is apparently absent...

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
If he doesn't look too creepy, try sitting next to him next class. Because at the very least, he's intrigued by you.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
He might be interested, but tbh I sometimes just stare randomly when I'm bored and if I'm staring at a person and they catch me I still feel embarrassed so I look away. Could be something but could be nothing, only one way to find out ;)

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Staring shows signs of interest for sure.

This could just be a physical attraction, it could mean something deeper. I wouldn't say this means he actually likes you...but it does mean that he'd be willing to at least get to know you and make a decision.

That's the case for me anyway. I've looked at those I had initial interest in...and upon finding out more about them I'd often stop looking because I realize we're no longer a good match.

Of course, you don't know until you or him takes the next step. Sounds like this has been an ongoing thing for some time. As such, I'd take it upon yourself to act since he's obviously not going to any time soon or ever depending on his personality.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
its very normal to stare at attractive humans, i would take it as a compliment though i would bring a taser.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Yoshemo said:
I stare at everyone. Its not cuz I like em or anything, I just zone out a lot and my eyes naturally fix to the most familiar thing which is a human face
We should form a club!

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
He wants to jump your bones, don't let him though: Have him buy you a bunch of stuff first

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Sacman said:
Chancie said:
Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
wait... I thought it only applied to boys...<.<

OT: last time I got caught staring at a girl I liked I got beat up in the parking lot by her brother...
Is it okay that I laughed?

Ara69 said:
Maybe he is imagining you being eaten by tiny evil butterflies! Or was that just me?..
Have you ever read "Haze"?