Here is an interesting question: to those from outside the United States:

chaser[phoenix]

Oct 17, 2008
So I have a confession of sorts and then a question to everyone from anywhere outside the United States.

So I?ve used the internet for a long time. My meaning and activities were always petty, small. I suppose they still are in a way, but by doing things like posting on this message board, I feel more connected than ever with people across the country and even the world.
It makes me happy to know I can speak to Mr. Something from the UK and then at the same time I can speak with Mrs. Maple Leaf from Canada. I find I enjoy connecting, even in the smallest, most modest way.

Now, for my entire life basically I?ve been told, always in either the most enthusiastic or the least enthusiastic, zombie-like way that the USA is the greatest country in the world.
I bought it in primary school because I ate up all the information given to me and assumed it was the undisputed truth.

I have very little political knowledge. The only things that pull me to the left side of American politics is that it?s not as much ?we can?t do _____ because of _____?, which is usually largely because of religion and whatnot.
And then I suppose I believe we should help our countrymen in need, though that?s a double-edged sword since a lot of people here look to take advantage of the system.

That?s sort of unrelated to my question, so I?ll get right to it:

To everyone from outside the US, what do you think of us as citizens of the world?
Are there any automatic assumptions made just at the sight of ?from the US? in a profile or anything of that nature?

I?m really very curious, since I remember hearing a while back people from the US lying to citizens outside of the US, saying they were from Canada instead.

I just know (or assume, maybe) that Bush was behind a lot of the America hate in the world.
Don?t worry, I didn?t like him either and at the time I was unable to make my voice heard.

Anyway, thanks!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'm basically going to post a quote from a thread I contributed to literally minutes ago, since it sums up my opinion of the US, as a Brit, pretty easily:

I definitely respect Americans, I've been to the USA on holiday and I found the majority of local people to be friendly and helpful. Admittedly it was Florida, so the locals are probably paid by Disney/Universal to be friendly and kind (joking, of course), but the first night my family were there (2 weeks, we stayed), we went to a local resturant since we couldn't be bothered to cook. We were the only customers there at the time, but the owners came and spoke to us, gave us tips on where to go and what to see, and how to make the most out of our 2 week holiday in Florida. The service we recieved was great, and bumping into a couple at the Kennedy Space Centre we got talking to them and we found the couple in question to be very helpful and friendly. Most people in the USA who we met during those two weeks were very good, nice people and made our time in the US extremely enjoyable.

However, I have to say something, that I feel strongly about and have noticed in many occasions, even on this site. Americans seem to be unaware or unconcerned about the role the UK had in US history. Fine, I'll admit that we did some unforgiveable things (Boston Tea Party, anyone?). However, most Americans seem to forget that the first settlers in the US, even before the French and Spanish, were British. If it wasn't for the UK then American history would be extremely different, and let's not forget that we saved your asses in World War 1 (WW2 doesn't count either way because effectively then we were fighting different fronts, although we each gave aid to the other...). I don't really want to cause any sort of argument between UK and US Escapists here, but it would be nice if Americans could show some sort of gratitude, and more importantly, recognition, of the good things that the UK as done in terms of US history. Plus, I've noticed that the US government seems to take whatever they want from us Brits and seems to focus on their own agenda more than a unified agenda, or that of the UK. It would also be nice if the US government could try and focus more on helping us as well as themselves once in a while... (I would quote from the film Love Actually here, but I can't remember the quote despite having the DVD. However, anyone who knows what I mean is perfectly free to make the quote on my behalf...).

EDIT: Mentioning the Boston Tea Party, I'm aware that this event was caused by the USA, not by British troops. However, the way we reacted was definitley inforgiveable and we were out of order with our reaction. I suppose really, though, neither side can really be blamed for it, although applying the same logic it theoretically calls many other disputes into question. I suppose this isn't really the right topic for that question, though...
And that's pretty much it. I can't really think of any deniable part of that, but in general I haven't got a problem with the USA. I just wish you'd consider us more and treat us more as equals, and stop keep referring to yoursleves as the "greatest country in the world" when you aren't. Sorry to rant, but I think most UK, and indeed everywhere else, Escapists will agree with me on this.

EDIT: In response to Scifidownbeat, I can't say that my opinion has changed during George Bush's reign. I didn't like the guy as a politician, I suppose as a Brit I don't really know much about US politics, but from my observations Bush was a pretty bad President. I definitely supported Obama all the way and although it's early days yet, I think he could make a really good difference to the lives of you Americans. I think he's a much better President than Bush was, and the only thing better would be if Al Gore had been elected instead of Bush after the whole Florida recount thing... But I digress. Aside from disliking Bush (don't get me wrong, he's probably an all round decent guy, but he's definitely a crap politician...), my opinions with regards to America in general have been pretty constant all this time, since before Bush gained office, and during and even after that time.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
*Is Ms. Maple Leaf*

Yeah.. Americans are kind of a good subject for jokes around here. My dad's American, and we (my siblings) often make fun of him for it.

As citizens of the world, I think I can speak for a fair few Canadians when I say that Americans are like.. the little irresponsible boy in the corner, playing his XBox and binging on Doritos while the rest of the world plays softball. Well. Maybe the little boy bullies the Middle East a bit and tugs on France's mustache, but still.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
As a British citizen, I'm happy being your cooler older brother, and you can borrow my Clash records any time.

I'm living for a year in the States from summer, so ask me after that I guess. I don't have a problem with Americans; any nation is going to have its problem people. I'm sure not everyone is a right-wing religious nut who'll shoot me if I lay hands on his daughter before promising myself to her for the rest of my life.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
Around the world, people resent American hegemony. The United States is all about exporting its values and policies so that it can create a world that basically exists to increase American security and draw as much capital into the hands of the American elite as possible. This isn't anything unusual; every country wants to be more secure and wealthier. The problem is that American actually have the means to bring about these changes. In affluent countries like Canada and France, this is resented because it goes against dominant cultural and political beliefs; in impoverished countries like Eritrea and Sudan, it's absolutely disastrous because it undermines local attempts to stabilize the economy and increase employment.

The United States is a pretty shitty citizen of the world. It's the only superpower, so it's to be expected, but that doesn't mean that people aren't going to resent it.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
I don't think less of somebody because they may be American until they open their mouths and cement my opinion of them. I know a couple of pretty cool people from across the pond, but unfortunately have come into brief contact with many more ass holes from the same area of residence.

Also anything that seemed like hate I may have/will direct towards America, probably would have stemmed from my intense dislike of former president Bush, and not necessarily the country's residents.

Phantom2595

Sep 28, 2008
Well, generally I don't like going to America. Every time I go south the border into America, I see something incredibly stupid. (I live in a border city.) I'm sure you're not all like that, and I've seen nice people and all, but most of my stupidity sightings are in America. Of course, there are silly people in my school too.

Also, when I went on vacation to Cedar Point I was filled with over Patriotic, America Rules everyone else sucks, crap. One of my biggest problems with America is their patriotism , they blind themselves with lies, saying, thinking , believing that they are the best, and only decent country in the world.

EDIT: I would also like to mention that it was America's fault the the global economy fell apart. Son whenever I see an American, I blame them for this crap.

MisterAnarchist

Feb 10, 2009
Judging a person based on their heritage is just as bad as basing them on the color of their skin, their gender, or their religion. It's all the same type of prejudice and thoughtless hatred that angers me. I for one will give you all an equal opportunity for me to hate you.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Speaking as an american who lives abroad, I can definately say that these opinions (as posted above) are pretty much the norm. I always hear "you Americans..." and things of that nature.
I can accept that we don't have the smartes people in charge, so I don't get too worked up about that. Not that I'm defending Bush or anyone else, but: Putting all the blame on our president for what our country does is wrong. We have congress, and all our laws, declarations of "war" and everything else has to be approved by them FIRST (all however many HUNDREDSof them), before the president can even get his hands on it.
I know not everyone understands how our government works, just like I'm not quite sure how Parliment works, but I try to get that point accross.

chipmunk2510

Jun 7, 2008
wewontdie11 said:
I don't think less of somebody because they may be American until they open their mouths and cement my opinion of them. I know a couple of pretty cool people from across the pond, but unfortunately have come into brief contact with many more ass holes from the same area of residence.

Also anything that seemed like hate I may have/will direct towards America, probably would have stemmed from my intense dislike of former president Bush, and not necessarily the country's residents.
I don't understand this. Whenever I hear someone talking about how much they hate Americans they always seem to default right back to: "I just dislike the stupid people there. Not everyone." Why even bring up their nationality if you preface everything with that? It seems you all hate stupid selfish people who strive to make this world worse off than it already. Not Americans.

P.S: I was born in the US so I guess you could call me an American.

Zildjin81

Feb 7, 2009
Aqualung said:
*Is Ms. Maple Leaf*

Yeah.. Americans are kind of a good subject for jokes around here. My dad's American, and we (my siblings) often make fun of him for it.

As citizens of the world, I think I can speak for a fair few Canadians when I say that Americans are like.. the little irresponsible boy in the corner, playing his XBox and binging on Doritos while the rest of the world plays softball. Well. Maybe the little boy bullies the Middle East a bit and tugs on France's mustache, but still.
Well well, aren't you a stereotyping jerk. If I'm the kid who sits in his room all day playing xbox while the other kids play softball then you're a lumberjack with a cheese fetish.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
chipmunk2510 said:
wewontdie11 said:

I don't understand this. Whenever I hear someone talking about how much they hate Americans they always seem to default right back to: "I just dislike the stupid people there. Not everyone." Why even bring up their nationality if you preface everything with that? It seems you all hate stupid selfish people who strive to make this world worse off than it already. Not Americans.

P.S: I was born in the US so I guess you could call me an American.
A lot of people generally do that because the American stereotype is one of an uneducated person for the time being (which incidentally I personally believe to be down to Bush) so many people feel the need to make a point of that to others that may believe that stereotype to be true (and I'm not one of them). Plus this is a thread on America you're posting in anyway...

JakePwnsAtLife

Mar 7, 2008
Well, I am Irish and I moved to the United States, and I've got to say, I actually really like it here. We always referred to it as the "asshole" of the world, but I don't really see it now that I'm surrounded by Americans every day. I mean, they've got their idjits same as everyone else, but all in all I like Americans.

Wazaki

Mar 5, 2009
I'm American, so I thought I should post this with my views on other Americans. I live in the near San Francisco, and everyone seems reasonable except for sometimes being homophobic. I definitely know some people who fit the bill for the stereotypical American.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
MisterAnarchist said:
Judging a person based on their heritage is just as bad as basing them on the color of their skin, their gender, or their religion. It's all the same type of prejudice and thoughtless hatred that angers me. I for one will give you all an equal opportunity for me to hate you.
I was about to write this, so now I don't have to I guess.