Here Is Your First Fallout 4 Trailer

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Halyah said:
The thing with europe is that going by what I've seen in the lore then it was never nuked and the only places that saw nuclear bombs dropping in that region was the middle east. All it did was basically tear itself apart via conventional war. Though I suppose a game set in europe would retcon that. I know I'm extremely curious about what happened to Norway given the oil we sit on(which I assume ran dry somehow given the war was over the middle easts oil wells) and all the thorium we're sitting on(which would be -extremely- valuable in a world where nuclear fuel is in much more demand due to oil going bye bye).

The only thing that can be said for certain is that large parts of the world must've gone un-nuked or there'd be no vegetation left to produce oxygen(that and who'd waste nuclear bombs on the amazon? or the vast uninhabited parts of Russia? Or the basically uninhabited mountains in northern europe?). If anything the lack of an explanation for the rest of the state of the rest of the world is rather weird since most countries weren't even involved in the war between China and USA(no european country was even in a state where they could do -anything- about it).
It would be kinda funny if remaining world would be mostly utopian societies.
Why nobody helps USA?
1.Most people don't really care about US or China because these fuckers killed each other.
2.Those who tried, were eaten by deathclaws or killed by supermuties.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Halyah said:
blackrave said:
It would be kinda funny if remaining world would be mostly utopian societies.
Why nobody helps USA?
1.Most people don't really care about US or China because these fuckers killed each other.
2.Those who tried, were eaten by deathclaws or killed by supermuties.
I doubt thats the case and it'd be rather silly if it was. Granted fallout has always been a tad silly. That said I always got the impression that the conventional warfare used in the resource war and the subsequent infighting amongst the dissolved European Commonwealth(pseudo-EU) trashed the european countries so hard that it'd take a -long- time to recover when the nuclear fallout began to spread across the globe and generally make the climate turn shittier. That said there's still the open questions of what happened to Africa, south america and parts of central america(Mexico is implied to have been nuked in Honest Hearts).

Or to put it like this: Europe is probably busy with old habits and the knowledge of no oil to get anywhere would be common knowledge. With the USA and China nuked into near oblivion, they'd be worthless in terms of other resources anyway insofar as people living on another continent cared.

Most of all that.... I really wanna know what happened to Norway! I know why its never touched on since its assumed all oil ran out and the thorium discoveries happened after F3 was released anyway(plus I'm surprised whenever anyone outside of europe even remembers we exist xP).
Europe was torn apart by the resource wars and most member states left the Union/Commonwealth. Britain is implied to have survived as a nation state with Scotland still existing (You actually encounter a Scottish traveler in the series who doesn't appear to be a vault dweller)

There's also a brotherhood of steel member whose a descendant of a family of finns who fled Europe I seem to remember. Though most likely they were attacked by Russia (that said, don't think finns were caught unawares on that front, they're always preparing for the russian invasion), not the fellow members of the Commonwealth. I just don't see Sweden/Denmark/Norway even in a post apocalyptic scenario having any reason to invade Finland. Then again, Fallout is crazy.

With Germany having been likely the single largest remnant of the Commonwealth, Denmark/Sweden/Norway might have remained with it. Since while the United Kingdom or France could have split off I don't see a reason Scandinavia would risk a war of aggression with such a large neighbor even 'if' the world was going to (or had gone to) shit. Though maybe that's my idealism speaking and Germany could well have invaded a united Scandinavia in an attempt to seize what little remained of the ocean oil, winning (Even in a post-apocalyptic world if they weren't nuked chances are they're more powerful) and forcing them into submission whilst wasting the last resources fighting France and the U.K.

In which case your Norway might well be part of what remains of the European Commonwealth, for better or worse. Surviving nuclear war and russian invasion, if barely.

That's just my speculation anyway.

Bonus edit:

In an expanded cold war, the U.S Government (Enclave) could very well have built vaults on Greenland and Svalbard escaping nuclear disaster. This would be historically accurate to similar things done by the U.S. Though unless they were SECRET vaults (Not uncommon for the fallout series) I don't know how they would have lasted.

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
Looks like Fallout 4 doesn't intend to reinvent the wheel. It would be cool if we mo.ved ahead in the Fallout timeline to a time when they've started rebuilding some of civilisation, cities that are no longer emergency makeshift shelters, but advanced like Vault City from FO2.

Rustic tincan towns in seas of sand settings are cool too, but start to get repetitive by now.

Willy Rogers

Aug 20, 2014
sorsa said:
Looks like Fallout 4 doesn't intend to reinvent the wheel. It would be cool if we mo.ved ahead in the Fallout timeline to a time when they've started rebuilding some of civilisation, cities that are no longer emergency makeshift shelters, but advanced like Vault City from FO2.

Rustic tincan towns in seas of sand settings are cool too, but start to get repetitive by now.
It is like that on the west coast, mainly California, New Vegas is pretty much empty because it's supposed to be like the frontier of the old west. Really they just keep setting it in wastelands because that's core to the series, surviving in the nuked out inbetween. Honestly i'm hoping Boston is kind of like Mega City One from Judge Dredd.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
sorsa said:

Agreed, tincantowns are sort of losing their charm on me too

I wouldn't mind playing fallout in a devastated version of New York(and then just New York), It's been done in movies sure, but can't remember a video game that did it, could be great for open world settings.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
So was the old engine used to create just the trailer, or are we going to have to suffer through it again for the 14th year in a row? Yes, I know they claimed the "Creation" engine was a totally re-written version of Gamebryo, but that turned out to be less than honest. I guess they consider a new LOD module and a fix for the broken shadow/AO system, to be a total re-write. Perhaps they copy and pasted the other 2 million lines of code into a new window before recompiling it all...

Here's hoping this is just a tech demo and the game was made with something written in the last five years. Also tacking on the hailmary that they finally abandoned the Havok physics engine. If this is the old engine, then the most notable thing I saw in the trailer is that the dynamic shadows and AO were not working properly, if at all. At least the LOD system still *seems* to work.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Genocidicles said:
The fucking Brotherhood of Steel, again.
Playing as a Vault Dweller, again.
Dogmeat, again.
Flashbacks... ugh
Voiced player character... uuuuuuugh

I knew it was gonna suck.

Hopefully in a few years Obsidian will be able to make a decent Fallout game again.
Fun fact New Vegas was one of the only main series fallouts without any of those. Vault Dweller is usually part of the main series fallout package or at the least descendant of people from the vault. On the topic of Dogmeat, its just a generic dog. Do you not want dogs in a game? You racist! Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Willy Rogers

Aug 20, 2014
kenu12345 said:
Genocidicles said:
Dogmeat, again.
Flashbacks... ugh

Hopefully in a few years Obsidian will be able to make a decent Fallout game again.
Fun fact New Vegas was one of the only main series fallouts without any of those. Vault Dweller is usually part of the main series fallout package or at the least descendant of people from the vault. On the topic of Dogmeat, its just a generic dog. Do you not want dogs in a game? You racist! Grrrrrrrrrrrr
eh Fallout 2. You're a descendant of the Vault dweller but a Tribal none the less, dogmeat is an optional character found in a non-canon random event, and the brotherhood of steel has sealed themselves in bunkers. So, New Vegas and Fallout 2 have those.

kenu12345

Aug 3, 2011
Willy Rogers said:
kenu12345 said:
Genocidicles said:
Dogmeat, again.
Flashbacks... ugh

eh Fallout 2. You're a descendant of the Vault dweller but a Tribal none the less, dogmeat is an optional character found in a non-canon random event, and the brotherhood of steel has sealed themselves in bunkers. So, New Vegas and Fallout 2 have those.
I said or descendant man :p but yeah dogmeat is just a random character thats been in about every Fallout. Sort of a tradition. Its not like he takes away from anything

Willy Rogers

Aug 20, 2014
kenu12345 said:
Willy Rogers said:
kenu12345 said:
Genocidicles said:
Dogmeat, again.
Flashbacks... ugh

I said or descendant man :p but yeah dogmeat is just a random character thats been in about every Fallout. Sort of a tradition. Its not like he takes away from anything
Not at all, I'm refreshed but also disappointed that they went with a different breed this time. Moreso because both dogs breeds are shepard dogs, gimme a pug or mutant rottweiler or somethin'. And like I said earlier in the thread, that stuff is essential to the whole wasteland aesthetic, would be nice if they shook it up a bit tho.

kenu12345

Aug 3, 2011
Willy Rogers said:
kenu12345 said:
Willy Rogers said:
kenu12345 said:
Genocidicles said:
Dogmeat, again.
Flashbacks... ugh

Not at all, I'm refreshed but also disappointed that they went with a different breed this time. Moreso because both dogs breeds are shepard dogs, gimme a pug or mutant rottweiler or somethin'. And like I said earlier in the thread, that stuff is essential to the whole wasteland aesthetic, would be nice if they shook it up a bit tho.
True though I don't think a pug would be very useful, all things considered

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
If that's Boston (and I'm hearing info to the affirmative on that), does that mean there's a super mutant with a posh accent called Smedley?

(BWA HA HA HA HA HAAA!!!)

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
FalloutJack said:
If that's Boston (and I'm hearing info to the affirmative on that), does that mean there's a super mutant with a posh accent called Smedley?

Ok, your going to have to explain that one. I'm getting a 100 search results for Boston Smedley.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dalek Caan said:
FalloutJack said:

Ok, your going to have to explain that one. I'm getting a 100 search results for Boston Smedley.
Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown, a recent release of an online Shadowrun game with tabletop compendium (optional) in which you are accepting a number of missions from a posh-accented troll by the name of Smedley Pemberton.