Here we go again: Anita Sarkeesian and the gaming community

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well, if she can join a team to help create more believable female characters, then great, otherwise, who really cares?

Not that it really matters anyway, the rumour has been debunked, so yeah.

Does this thread really have 8 pages? I thought that the GamerGate/anti-GamerGate controversy had died a much deserved death, or at least quietened the fuck down. Oh well, wishful thinking I guess.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Metalix Knightmare said:
Haerthan said:
You know what is the worst that could happen? The tropes that she brought to the forefront in her videos are just going to disappear. I stopped calling myself a gamer back in August 2014, when the GG thing started. I am really ashamed of this community. Just how the hell did we get at this point?
Too many people taking claims of harassment at face value, and pretty much claiming all criticism made against certain people were all sexist.
You would completely ignore the actual cases of harassment? When people were driven from their homes? When both sides doxxed and harassed? You my friend are part of the problem, not the solution

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TheKasp said:
Id rather be sexist, than allow women to ruin the male dominated gaming industry.
This just slapped me in the face. The last straw of one of my favorite subreddits.
check out the SRS Fempire!

yes I know people really really hate SRS at worst or find it extreme/off putting at best [footnote/]because sometimes people don't like being called out on their bullshit also their bluntness is really confronting[/footnote] but honestly? I've read some really interesting discussion there that's made me think, like this fascinating post on why Reddits worship of the STEM is related to a serious lack of critical thought which ties into "there is no problem"

"SJW" or not reddit (and extending to other parts othe internet) is a shitshow that harbours a serious lack of self awareness

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
VoidWanderer said:
I have known about this for months. I just didn't say anything because I don't care about Anita or Mirror's Edge.
You understand this is confirmed false, right?
http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/TheKodu/the-sarkeesian-the-dice-and-the-mirror--235992.phtml

While I care little for the game, I wish it was false,
"An unsourced and unverifiable blog post said it two years ago, so it must be true!"

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I love Mirror's Edge. A lot.
A lot a lot.

I've always thought the review tech USA guy was crazy.

I don't like Sarkeesian. I think she's also crazy.

oZode

Nov 15, 2011
Regardless of the validity seeing if call of duty apparently has consultants from the special forces and how much of a fantasy game call of duty is I don't believe mirror's edge 2 would be affected much by having anita give her opinion directly as a consultant.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Haerthan said:
You know what is the worst that could happen? The tropes that she brought to the forefront in her videos are just going to disappear. I stopped calling myself a gamer back in August 2014, when the GG thing started. I am really ashamed of this community. Just how the hell did we get at this point?
When the hypersensitive decided we under obligation to care about their feelings.

If you want to leave, go right ahead. No body is stopping you. Hell, I've thought about taking a a few years off from video games, but that was because the people running this fucking industry couldn't find their asses with both hands and a map.

PoisonTaco

May 9, 2012
This is stupid. I don't care about femenism, I don't care about Sarkeesian and her lies.

What I hate is having any kind of outside "consultant" get in the way of game design. Let the makers at DICE do their jobs and make the game they want to make. Why should any outside influence get in the way of that? It happens all the time when a publisher steps in with marketing firms to tell developers what to make. Now we have EA getting Anita to tell DICE how to make Mirror's Edge 2.

We don't need more shit getting in the way of game development. It's bad enough we've got games being made to serve as DLC platforms, games being made to copy/clone another successful franchise, or games made to exploit the pre-order PR machine.

Do you really think Anita cares about making a game fun? She isn't a gamer. Her "consulting" is only going to be pushing her own agenda. She's a con-artist and her kickstarter was nothing but a scam.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PoisonTaco said:
What I hate is having any kind of outside "consultant" get in the way of game design.
Well, then, rejoice! This isn't a true story! People are getting worked up over nothing.

Do you really think Anita cares about making a game fun? She isn't a gamer. Her "consulting" is only going to be pushing her own agenda. She's a con-artist and her kickstarter was nothing but a scam.
...Yeah, kind of like that.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Machine Man 1992 said:
Haerthan said:
When the hypersensitive decided we under obligation to care about their feelings.

If you want to leave, go right ahead. No body is stopping you. Hell, I've thought about taking a a few years off from video games, but that was because the people running this fucking industry couldn't find their asses with both hands and a map.
So you would completely ignore the actual issues in the industry and community? Yes some people are HYPERSENSITIVE, and we are under no obligation to cater to them. But you can't come to me and say that Anita Sarkeesian is hypersensitive, not when I watched her videos and saw what she advocated.

You would also ignore the harassment that has happened over the few years. In my opinion you are part of the problem.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Haerthan said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Haerthan said:

So you would completely ignore the actual issues in the industry and community? Yes some people are HYPERSENSITIVE, and we are under no obligation to cater to them. But you can't come to me and say that Anita Sarkeesian is hypersensitive, not when I watched her videos and saw what she advocated.

You would also ignore the harassment that has happened over the few years. In my opinion you are part of the problem.
I don't care about professional victims, who peddle ideologically driven, intellectually dishonest political bullshit. I care about actual problems.

Like how the consoles aren't worth a damn. Like how development costs continue to skyrocket to the point of sustainability. Like how we can't just talk about games.

These are games. Things we play to have fun. Things played for the purpose of stress release and for competition. We do not need Anita Sarkeesian or any of her little bay area friends shitting up the place with their rhetoric.

Also, I love how I said there were actual issues in the industry and you just completely ignore that.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
IceForce said:
VoidWanderer said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
VoidWanderer said:
I have known about this for months. I just didn't say anything because I don't care about Anita or Mirror's Edge.
You understand this is confirmed false, right?
http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/TheKodu/the-sarkeesian-the-dice-and-the-mirror--235992.phtml

While I care little for the game, I wish it was false,
"An unsourced and unverifiable blog post said it two years ago, so it must be true!"
But remember! We aren't suppose to "Listen and Believe" we are supposed to "Trust, but Verify!!"

Of course most people who spout that don't verify at all, they just blindly believe. Which is the fun part honestly.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Machine Man 1992 said:
Haerthan said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Haerthan said:

I don't care about professional victims, who peddle ideologically driven, intellectually dishonest political bullshit. I care about actual problems.

Like how the consoles aren't worth a damn. Like how development costs continue to skyrocket to the point of sustainability. Like how we can't just talk about games.

These are games. Things we play to have fun. Things played for the purpose of stress release and for competition. We do not need Anita Sarkeesian or any of her little bay area friends shitting up the place with their rhetoric.

Also, I love how I said there were actual issues in the industry and you just completely ignore that.
Ok here we go:
1) I am mainly a PC gamer, but i also got a PS3 (official buy) and an Xbox 360 (garage sale buy- 60$). The new ones are worth what everyone thinks they are. Are they behind? yes they are. That is an issue. Never said it wasn't

2) Cost of development has been skyrocketing for years, but do gamers vote with their wallets? Yes they do: buying COD and Battlefield and Assassin's Creed. So for those companies that use such huge costs, they see it as justified, cause they are making mad bank here. COD and GTA are practically licenses to print money. Again I never said it wasn't an issue.

3) Yes games are played for fun. But that doesn't mean that they aren't political. That doesn't stop anyone from criticizing it, not me, not you, NOT Anita Sarkeesian. Games, as part of our culture, are by their very nature political/cultural. Nobody is taking away your games, nobody sane (NOT EVEN HER or her friends, omg) is saying you are a monster for enjoying said games. Hell her videos start that we can still enjoy them while criticizing them. So your assertion that videogames aren't political or a deeper meaning to them is not only false, as decades of media research has proven (no not the link between games and violence, different research, OLDER research-look up Marshall MacLuhan). You don't like her, fine, your prerogative. But you do NOT have the right to dictate who joins the community, everybody is welcome.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Vault101 said:
TheKasp said:
Id rather be sexist, than allow women to ruin the male dominated gaming industry.
This just slapped me in the face. The last straw of one of my favorite subreddits.
check out the SRS Fempire!

yes I know people really really hate SRS at worst or find it extreme/off putting at best [footnote/]because sometimes people don't like being called out on their bullshit also their bluntness is really confronting[/footnote] but honestly? I've read some really interesting discussion there that's made me think, like this fascinating post on why Reddits worship of the STEM is related to a serious lack of critical thought which ties into "there is no problem"

"SJW" or not reddit (and extending to other parts othe internet) is a shitshow that harbours a serious lack of self awareness
Tried to hunt down this post about STEM, and think I found it. or at least something close to it? because this has been something that's been bothering me about that Reddit type community for a while that I haven't been able to put my finger on.

It seems I've found it on first impression it seems like The discounting of the humanities and the obsession with formulaic logic. which seems to have broken down any open ended discussion and led instead for some sort of drive to find the correct answer.
It's Science without any philosophy, a Tim Minchin song without any self awareness or wit. which is good at what it does (finding answers) its pretty awful at finding questions and discussing ones that don't have a clear answer.

while I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a Shitshow but its shut down some very important forms of dialogue.
Thank you very much Vault for this insight.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Lovely Mixture said:
Adultratedhydra said:
oh i know Jim is still neutral and its just Pro that label him anti.
Pros label him a hypocrite. He constantly advocates for consumer rights but when his journo friends get called out he gets flaky.
I would like you to go see his Jimquisition stuff and tell me where he gets flaky? Seriously go check it out. Cause most likely you haven't seen it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Methodia Chicken said:
Tried to hunt down this post about STEM, and think I found it. or at least something close to it? because this has been something that's been bothering me about that Reddit type community for a while that I haven't been able to put my finger on.
the one I like in particular is a tear down of GG

there's also a hell of a lot of arrogance when it comes to finding a job

I mean I'm not gonna argue over what field benefits society more, which is more difficult or which warrants a higher salary but its such a simplistic outlook

there is a lot of "feeling better by tearing down others" on reddit weather its r/atheism or r/fatlogic people want to feel superior to others

Machine Man 1992 said:
do you want games to be taken seriously or not?

games do not exist in their special little bubble free from the society that created them, the idea that the "mean feminists" should stay away because games are nothing more than shallow stress relive entertainment and for whatever reason seeing someone say something mean about a game you like is just the end of the world is fucking [b/]laughable[/b]

say the same thing about movies and Roger Ebert and realise how ridiculous that sounds

this is the real world and the real world is not a vacuum, the media we make and consume IS and SHOULD be subject to analysis and criticism and everything in between [I/]and YES even from a feminist perspective[/I]