Here's The Official Amazing Spider-Man Trailer

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Baron_BJ said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
It doesn't look bad...but you can't un-mask Spidey in the first movie! Also I can't wait to see how Lizard looks once they've cleaned up the CGI a bit...or a lot. As for the suit, I'm guessing that the big twist at the end (ie: post credit bonus clip) will be about this Peter being the 2099 Peter. The colors for that suit are about right for that era after all.
Spider-Man 2099:

Amazing Spider-Man Movie Costume:

They don't resemble each other even remotely. Spider-Man 2099 isn't a version of Peter, it's another guy entirely. Hell, they're not even the same ethnicity. 2099 is Miguel O'Hara, a man of Mexican and Irish descent. He and Spider-Man don't even share the same powers.
Noted: my comparison comes from the color palette used in Shattered Diminsion/ Edge of Time. Besides, if they turn Lizard into a naked Reptile then they very well could turn Peter and Miguel into the same person. They could call it a return of the Clone Saga or something.

There's maybe a couple shades difference (I looked through a few screenshots, shade seems to alter a fair bit between them) between the version from the game and the comic book. Aside from that there's no discernable difference between two (the version from the game was "gifted" with extra powers; which is code for "we didn't want to alter gameplay very much at all").

The two characters have absolutely nothing in common aside from their names.
With your last comment regarding the clones I can only assume that you're taking the piss.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Mr Thin said:
I want my Sam Raimi Spiderman movies back!

The next one could've had John Malkovich! And Bruce Campbell would've had a real part! It was gonna be so awesome!

I DON'T WANT A REBOOT THIS ISN'T FAIR ooh, was that Rhys Ifans?

...No! No amount of Rhys Ifans will stop my complaining! This sucks!

*goes off to sulk in the corner*
It does seem strange to reboot when that trilogy isn't even outdated yet... Toby McQuire could still play Spiderman.

And why the hell is Mary Jane blonde?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
One thing that sticks out for me as how fucking huge Garfield's hair is.

Seriously, how the hell can he fit that colossal bush under his Spidey hood?

As for the trailer; It looks like every big name superhero movie needs to look like fucking Dark Knight now. And they might as well have painted the new Spidey suit black since the lighting is so horrendous you can't even tell what colour it is.

Whether this new movie is good or bad, I can tell it probably won't be for me. I like my Spider-Man - and every other superhero movie for that matter - to have a slight dash of camp. We are talking about men in tights, after all.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Fun fact: Emma Stone really IS blonde.

I am sick and tired of hearing people judge a 2h plus movie from a 2 minute montage. Know what ? TDK trailers also sucked but the movie was good. Ledger was bombed with not being a good choice for the Joker and he was awesome.

As for following the comics, is this a joke ? Except for Sin City, NOT ONE COMIC BOOK MOVIE HAS BEEN 100% LOYAL TO THE SOURCE ! Wanna know why ? Cause it would have been a hell of a lot more boring and difficult to get into.

I am sick of the whiners about the suit, the actor, the CGI, blah, blah, blah. From where I am standing, this will do for Spidey what Batman Begins did for Bats. I cannot wait to see this.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I dunno. I like Spider-Man a lot.

Mainly because he's one of the few Super Heroes that I can just enjoy with no...eh...well... with no strings attached (didn't think that through before I typed it)

I know a lot of folks thought the Raimi flicks were too goofy or whatever but if I'm being perfectly honest, that's what I kinda liked about them. They were unabashedly campy which is something spider-Man does well.

This new flick. Well yeah it looks well made and flashy and kinda grim and gritty at times and all that but it just seems really bland, it doesn't really have the same fun feel to it that I expect from Spidey.

Plus I hate this idea of rebooting a franchise while simultaneously treating it as a prequel. it's unnecessary and intrusive.

Maybe that's a bit of a double standard considering how much I liked X-Men first class, but at least that one made an attempt to sync up with the original trilogy and the retcons that it indulged in pretty much only effected the stuff that desperately needed to be retconned.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It looks fun, but the dude that plays Peter still looks like a giant douchebag to me. Emma Stone and Martin Sheen are huge pluses though. I love Emma Stone. And I know that she's a natural blonde, but I still like her more with red hair.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Looks cool.
I don't really know but I always tought about spidey like a spide with not too muscled up but still strong.
Didn't mind the extra sleep 2 days get a bit bulky with Toby but I think a slimmer spidey won't be a bad thing either.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
Aiddon said:
I'm suddenly realizing why Raimi scaled back Spidey's smartass behavior: because it makes him sound like a DICK. The reason Deadpool could get away with it without looking like a douche is because his stories are COMEDIES
That been Spider-man's character since inception a jokester in between his angst, what did you expect.

Ian Howell

Apr 7, 2010
Spiderman isnt in the avengers so if marvel got the licence he wouldnt be in an avengers film anyway. may as well just see what can be done with spiderman now

Ian Howell

Apr 7, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I still want it to tank, so Marvel Studios can get the rights to the character back, and maybe put him in an Avengers 2.
Spiderman isnt in the avengers so if marvel got the licence he wouldnt be in an avengers film anyway. may as well just see what can be done with spiderman now

Dec 14, 2009
NuclearShadow said:
I'm not a fan of the previous movies, but is it really time for a reboot already? They also seem to have no care whatsoever for the story of Spider-Man. I am guessing it is Mary Jane (who is Blonde now?!) saying Peter lives with his aunt and uncle however his uncle was dead before he ever met Dr. Curtis Connors as The Lizard. Also who the heck are these family members we are seeing of hers? Why is her father suddenly a police officer or some sort of authority figure able to issue a warrant? Her father was suppose to be a mediocre at best at modern American literature. And the rest of them!? MJ if I recall correctly was the youngest and had a single older sister.

Fine, it says "the untold story". But couldn't they have just made a original story that already has certain musts of Spider-Man already present or a quick introduction to them but not part of the actual storyline of the movie? Why use The Lizard? His story has already been told. They could have just come up with a new villain if they wanted the movie to be different? This movie is clearly just going to be a crash grab, flashy special effects and a popular character while everything else is going to be dirt.

I hope Stan Lee doesn't see this movie. Why couldn't they have waited to rape Spider-Man after his death?
She isn't Mary Jane, she's Gwen Stacy.

For such a rant, you'd think the person behind it would actually know the characters.

Kazinski

Jul 13, 2010
Baron_BJ said:
Why do I keep reading people say that this is close to the books, that is bullshit. Let's list off a couple of things:

First, Stacey appears to be an aggressive dipshit and is hounding Spider-Man. He supported Spider-Man in the comics and stood up for him, not to mention he doesn't look old enough, the character is meant to have grey hair.

Secondly, that's not the fucking lizard, you can see the lizard clearly if you pause the video and it confirms the following picture of him:

This is the fucking lizard:

Flash Thompson: OK, this one is nitpicky and minor, but is it that hard to find a big, built blonde guy? Is it that fucking hard?

This costume is balls. The first movie got the costume right, the points for getting the costume right were taken away however because Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst were fucking TERRIBLE actors who looked faaaaaaar too old for the roles.

This is a full body shot of the new suit:
Aside from the design looking like shit, what in the fuck is it made of? It looks like he stitched a bunch of basketballs together, ran through a sharpie factory and glued the soles of a fucking shoe to his feet.

What was wrong with this design? It was spot on and you were applauded for sticking to the right fucking suit, how do you fuck this up? It would have been cheaper to use the old one!

NEXT ON THE LIST: People are raving about "Oh it's Gwen Stacey, yeah, like in the comics!". This film is clearly set in highschool, he didn't meet Gwen Stacey until college and even then Mary Jane was in the comics BEFORE Gwen was, this was because Their aunts were friends and trying to pair them up. Now, in the HIGHLY unlikely event that this is set in college then they've gotten Flash wrong because they learned to become friends in college and Thompson became far less of a thug in those times to facilitate their merged social group. During High School he dated Betty Brant.

THE LIZARD AGAIN: The lizard isn't from fucking New York! He and his family lived in FLORIDA and in the beginning most of their encounters happened IN FLORIDA. His family didn't move to New York until far, far, faaaaar later.

The Parents; Aside from the fact that his parents and their lives and almost universally reviled in the comics and the fact that it's a fucking TERRIBLE idea: They had NOTHING to do with mother fucking OSCORP! They also never left behind a mysterious box of bullshit. They were agents that worked as agents of the CIA and SHIELD (something they can't do because Marvel is using the rights to SHIELD in their Movies) and were killing in action by the Red Skull and the communists (once against, people hated the entire thing), this plotline could never be done right because the rights to the Red Skull belong to Marvel (Much like how since Fox has the rights to Fantastic Four they also own the rights to use the Skrulls).

There's also no Jameson; he was there from #1! He's one of the main reasons people hate and fear peter! He is fucking crucial to the plot!

I found all those problems from watching that trailer ONCE. Fuck knows what else they got wrong, I could go back and watch is again, but my god I don't want to.

If I meet someone in real life who says that this shit is loyal to the comics I swear to god I will kick them in the nuts.

Just so you know, this version of Spider-Man is based a lot from the Ultimate Spider-Man series by Brian Bendis. In this version Peter's parents were scientists for a shady company called Roxxon who got killed in a plane explosion. The webbing Spider-Man uses in the ultimate incarnation of the comics is based off his father's designs which were left to him in a suitcase much like the one Ben gives Peter in the trailer.

Furthermore Peter gets his powers from a genetically modified spider in Oscorp which ties very well with the new movie.

In this incarnation of Spider-Man, Roxxon is being replaced by Oscorp in order to tie Peter's power origin with a possible future villain (Norman Osborn) while at the same possibly even turning Osborn into the person who killed Peter's parents which makes sense.

As for Jonah not being in the film, the Ultimate Spider-Man comics don't introduce Jonah until later and since Peter Parker is still in High School in the Ultimate version, he works as a website manager at the Bugle rather than a freelance photographer.

From what I can see they have changed enough of Spider-Man to make the movie stand out from the original while still using comic book sources to establish continuity. My only gripe seems to be that Uncle Ben might not end up getting killed in this movie since it focuses more on his parents, I hope he does since obviously this is what turns Peter into Spider-Man but we'll just have to see I guess.

As for possible villains in this version of the movies, I can see Venom and Green Goblin making it in for sure, since both characters are very deeply rooted to this version of Spider-Man's story.

http://marvel.com/universe/Venom_(Ultimate)
http://marvel.com/universe/Green_Goblin_(Ultimate)

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
The Good - the whole scene with the car thief, spidey dodging the bullets and overall fighting style (seemed very quick and fluid just how I've always envisioned it), Captain Stacy's reaction to Peter's "what the cops can't do" comment, Spidey scenes set at night (he is supposed to be at school during the day after all).

The Bad - Dr. Connors being portrayed as a villain (the "come and get it" line to Peter seemed very confontational to me) when in the comics he is a tragic character as he doesn't remember being the Lizard and struggles to contain it; kind of like the Hulk when done right.

The Indifferent - The Lizard (so little of him to really pass judgement); Capt. Stacey against Spidey (yeah he supported him in the comics, but with Commisioner Gordon in Batman soon after I can understand wanting to diferentiate the characters); No JJJ (a wonderful character but kind of superfluous if Spidey is in school and you have the police captain as a civilian antagonist); the costume. This is the biggie for a lot of people, but if Spidey is done right he should be moving so much you hardly get time to focus on it. In the comics it is important as it is all done in still frames but in a movie I feel the "classic" design is to intricate to be completely effective.

Summary - A lifelong Spidey fan who is pretty hyped to see how it turns out.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Eh, I do like the idea of the Lizard and it's definitely the closest thing to Doc Oc, bu I'm nut buzzed about this. Maybe because Spiderman 2 is the best of all things. The best superhero movie (that isn't Captain America which I haven't seen, and the Dark Knight doesn't count because it transcends it's genre. Batman Begins wasn't quite as good as S2) and the best spiderman game of all time. (Amazingly, why can no-one beat that game? it should be easy)

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Kazinski said:
I've read the entirety of the Ultimate Spider-Man books (Personally, it is my favourite series of all and I actually prefer it to the normal version of Spider-Man) and I have to say, I noticed no real correlation. Now I'll go over a very brief explination of why it's still different from U-SM.

The Costume - The Costume in Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man are the same, though how he gets it is different. Nothing changes the fact that the costume we're given is insanely fucking ugly.

Gwen and Her Father - Gwen and peter never went out until well after Mary Jane... WAAAAAAAAY after (He didn't even date the real Gwen Stacey, he dated her clone) and even then she dumps him after a couple of months and never dies to the Green Goblin. So alluding to the normal continuity and her possible death would vear off the idea you have. Well before she and Peter dated she was rather agressive and violent (threatening other students with knives, etc), though friendly to Peter; this trailer shows her as a meek individual (none of the comics have shown her like that), her Father also supported Spider-Man somewhat in the comics. The ramifications of these changes are massive in this movie, just by the trailer.

Wanted by the Police - (You didn't bring this up, but it happens in the comic and in this movies trailer), this even was tied closely to Mary Jane helping him and he was only hunted by the police because a copycat posing as Spider-Man killed Gwens's Father. After the Copycat is found he is proven innocent and the police give him a lot more breathing space. This clearly is NOT what is going to happen in the movie.

So they changed Roxxon to Oscorp because...? Tie things up in a bow and make every little thing related? That's a needless and idiotic change that still dumps on the source material. Turning Osborn into the one that killed his parents? Why make this change?

Uncle Ben Not getting killed and him crimefighting before his death? No incarnation of the character has done this and that would be one of the worst changes to source material possible. A big part of the character is that he wanted to use his powers in self serving ways at first.

Your claims regarding this being based on the Ultimate incarnation of the character really falls flat when it comes to the lizard; Ultimate Spider-Man fought the lizard once (and it only actually appeared once) and the lizard was quickly stopped by the man-thing (not Spider-Man, though he was there), hell, their entire battle took place in the Sewer. They never met until AFTER he had transformed back and they became friends, with Curt Conners (the lizard) often patching him up after being injured (They remained friends until Curt created Carnage, though after this point he was rarely used, harbored no resentment against Peter and never transformed). Also, they could never get that portion of the comic right anyway since they don't have the rights to use Man-Thing which still belong to Marvel. Not to mention that doesn't change the ugly looking costume of the movie when the Lizard from that iteration looks like this:

Jonah not being brought in until later? True, but he still ran smears on Spider-Man after word got out that the wrestling organisation claimed he was stealing. And that's before he met Peter. Though I have to admit, this really didn't play as big of a roll in the books as the main version of the book.

I can't really comment on what could be in the box, but then I don't think anyone really can, I mean, until the movie comes out there's no way to tell what is in it. Though if pressed I'd say that I highly doubt that will be the contents, though I cannot disprove it.

Basically my expectations for this movie are extremely low, but who knows, it could be like the recent Batman movies, they took liberties with the source material and they were good, so maybe this one will be too. Though I highly doubt it.

EDIT: Did a little more research on the movie (5 minutes worth) and watched the trailer again, turns out there's more bullshit; Apparently in the movie Peter's father was a scientific partner with Curt Conners at Oscorp (Being at Oscorp is still some idiotic bullshit), but in no version of Spider-Man ever has any member of his family met Conners, let alone before the transformation (the only exception being the Sam Raimi trilogy). More crap, if you watch the trailer and notice the blackboard and dialogue (like when talking to Gwen he says "I created him) it's clearly implying that Peter helped create the Lizard formula, like I mentioned earlier, Peter never even met Conners before he transformed, so how the fuck does this shit work? Not to mention this is an insult to Conners character, a brilliant and well-meaning scientist who discovered how to regrow limbs, but due to desperation tried it on himself, leaving him with a murderous alterego that could come at any time and kill everyone he loves. A stark contrast to the apparently shitty scientist who is an aggressive **** who we are given here.

Dec 14, 2009
NuclearShadow said:
Daystar Clarion said:
NuclearShadow said:
I'm not a fan of the previous movies, but is it really time for a reboot already? They also seem to have no care whatsoever for the story of Spider-Man. I am guessing it is Mary Jane (who is Blonde now?!) saying Peter lives with his aunt and uncle however his uncle was dead before he ever met Dr. Curtis Connors as The Lizard. Also who the heck are these family members we are seeing of hers? Why is her father suddenly a police officer or some sort of authority figure able to issue a warrant? Her father was suppose to be a mediocre at best at modern American literature. And the rest of them!? MJ if I recall correctly was the youngest and had a single older sister.

Fine, it says "the untold story". But couldn't they have just made a original story that already has certain musts of Spider-Man already present or a quick introduction to them but not part of the actual storyline of the movie? Why use The Lizard? His story has already been told. They could have just come up with a new villain if they wanted the movie to be different? This movie is clearly just going to be a crash grab, flashy special effects and a popular character while everything else is going to be dirt.

I hope Stan Lee doesn't see this movie. Why couldn't they have waited to rape Spider-Man after his death?
She isn't Mary Jane, she's Gwen Stacy.

For such a rant, you'd think the person behind it would actually know the characters.
Then this makes even less sense as Gwen was his second love. They met in the university they attended and from the looks of it the movie places Spider-Man in high-school still. It would have made more sense to have a blonde Mary Jane than to have a Gwen before the possibility of meeting her. So now if this awful movie spawns sequels which it will only means we will once again see Doctor Octopus and the Green Goblin again as those were the two main villains during Gwen's run in the comics.

Can I really be blamed for not realizing it was Gwen when it would be impossible for it to be?
I swear to god if they do lead up to Green Goblin they better stay true and not fuck with the ending.
Gwen was still before MJ.

Betty Brant was Spidey's first love, but I imagine Gwen is more recognisable.