Here's The Official Amazing Spider-Man Trailer

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
I'm actually not a fan of the first three. Never really felt like Spider-Man. Looking forward to this.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I had high hopes for this film. Especially after the abomination that was Spider-man 3. This trailer is encouraging. I love the wise cracks.

Kazinski

Jul 13, 2010
Baron_BJ said:
Kazinski said:
I've read the entirety of the Ultimate Spider-Man books (Personally, it is my favourite series of all and I actually prefer it to the normal version of Spider-Man) and I have to say, I noticed no real correlation. Now I'll go over a very brief explination of why it's still different from U-SM.

The Costume - The Costume in Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man are the same, though how he gets it is different. Nothing changes the fact that the costume we're given is insanely fucking ugly.

Gwen and Her Father - Gwen and peter never went out until well after Mary Jane... WAAAAAAAAY after (He didn't even date the real Gwen Stacey, he dated her clone) and even then she dumps him after a couple of months and never dies to the Green Goblin. So alluding to the normal continuity and her possible death would vear off the idea you have. Well before she and Peter dated she was rather agressive and violent (threatening other students with knives, etc), though friendly to Peter; this trailer shows her as a meek individual (none of the comics have shown her like that), her Father also supported Spider-Man somewhat in the comics. The ramifications of these changes are massive in this movie, just by the trailer.

Wanted by the Police - (You didn't bring this up, but it happens in the comic and in this movies trailer), this even was tied closely to Mary Jane helping him and he was only hunted by the police because a copycat posing as Spider-Man killed Gwens's Father. After the Copycat is found he is proven innocent and the police give him a lot more breathing space. This clearly is NOT what is going to happen in the movie.

So they changed Roxxon to Oscorp because...? Tie things up in a bow and make every little thing related? That's a needless and idiotic change that still dumps on the source material. Turning Osborn into the one that killed his parents? Why make this change?

Uncle Ben Not getting killed and him crimefighting before his death? No incarnation of the character has done this and that would be one of the worst changes to source material possible. A big part of the character is that he wanted to use his powers in self serving ways at first.

Your claims regarding this being based on the Ultimate incarnation of the character really falls flat when it comes to the lizard; Ultimate Spider-Man fought the lizard once (and it only actually appeared once) and the lizard was quickly stopped by the man-thing (not Spider-Man, though he was there), hell, their entire battle took place in the Sewer. They never met until AFTER he had transformed back and they became friends, with Curt Conners (the lizard) often patching him up after being injured (They remained friends until Curt created Carnage, though after this point he was rarely used, harbored no resentment against Peter and never transformed). Also, they could never get that portion of the comic right anyway since they don't have the rights to use Man-Thing which still belong to Marvel. Not to mention that doesn't change the ugly looking costume of the movie when the Lizard from that iteration looks like this:

Jonah not being brought in until later? True, but he still ran smears on Spider-Man after word got out that the wrestling organisation claimed he was stealing. And that's before he met Peter. Though I have to admit, this really didn't play as big of a roll in the books as the main version of the book.

I can't really comment on what could be in the box, but then I don't think anyone really can, I mean, until the movie comes out there's no way to tell what is in it. Though if pressed I'd say that I highly doubt that will be the contents, though I cannot disprove it.

Basically my expectations for this movie are extremely low, but who knows, it could be like the recent Batman movies, they took liberties with the source material and they were good, so maybe this one will be too. Though I highly doubt it.

EDIT: Did a little more research on the movie (5 minutes worth) and watched the trailer again, turns out there's more bullshit; Apparently in the movie Peter's father was a scientific partner with Curt Conners at Oscorp (Being at Oscorp is still some idiotic bullshit), but in no version of Spider-Man ever has any member of his family met Conners, let alone before the transformation (the only exception being the Sam Raimi trilogy). More crap, if you watch the trailer and notice the blackboard and dialogue (like when talking to Gwen he says "I created him) it's clearly implying that Peter helped create the Lizard formula, like I mentioned earlier, Peter never even met Conners before he transformed, so how the fuck does this shit work? Not to mention this is an insult to Conners character, a brilliant and well-meaning scientist who discovered how to regrow limbs, but due to desperation tried it on himself, leaving him with a murderous alterego that could come at any time and kill everyone he loves. A stark contrast to the apparently shitty scientist who is an aggressive **** who we are given here.

Thing is they are allowed to change things as long as the character comes out the way that makes sense. Every incarnation of Spider-Man has been different to some extent or other, I don't think the changes here are drastic enough to make a big fuss, I'd only be pissed off if Uncle Ben did not die and will refuse to watch it if he does not because that is what makes Spider-Man the character he is.

As for associating Oscorp with his father and Curt Connors, you have to understand that these are movies and not comic books, they need strong cohesion cause they won't be released twice a month so they need to make sense. As for the ultimate fight in Ultimate Spider-Man, that was sorely different. But much like every other Super Hero movie that came out previously, the directors mix and match the best of character versions in order to deliver the story they want.

Every movie does this to some extent, even Batman Arkham City did this as a video game which was x amount of hours long, so you can imagine why a 180 minute movie would do so too.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Kazinski said:
I agree that there need to be concessions made for certain iterations and that certain things are near impossible to carry over from their source material.

I only have 2 real issues with this movie, but they encompass a few smaller issues. I'll keep this short because I doubt anyone really cares about the big posts, which were mainly about debunking what I will list as my second issue with this movie:

Needless Changes: Let's start with the most blatant one, the costume; this was clearly made because one of the idiotic fucktards who are running the show didn't like the design of Spider-Man so they decided "durr, let's change the costume, that one detail that was helped the original trilogy get lauded for their loyalty because I think I know better and can sell something based on NAME ALONE!". Yes some things have to change for adaptions, but some are needless; the rule of thumb is that you're meant to CHANGE ONLY WHAT IS NECESSARY.

"It's loyal to the source material": People keep touting this film as being loyal to the source material and it's anything but and the fact is that anyone who says this is talking out of their ass and has zero idea what they are talking about because they don't know what the fucking source material is. Now, although lack of loyalty does not predicate that the movie will be bad (once again I bring up the recent Batman movies, they're not all that loyal films out there, but they're downright excellent), but the fact is that I cannot tolerate people trying to spread this crap when there are only two things that are making people say this: It's got Gwen Stacey in it (aside from the fact that she was not the first woman he dated I have already gone over this in excruciating detail and why this addition of her isn't loyal anyway) and that he has webshooters to which I say; SO FUCKING WHAT? No one would care were it not for the first movies removal of them and there's also the fact that the webshooters don't fucking look like that.

Basically a movie translation of a comic character (though this applies to games as well, though in games this more often done because characters that are actually decent enough to have their own game will have a status quo so well known that almost anyone who picks it up will know what is going on) is based around characters and their status quo and how they got there from their beginning with details changed so that it can facilitate a simply 1,2,3 story arc necessary for this kind of movie and toss in an iconic villain that is simplified and tossed in (because loyalty to villains is rarely cared about) so that there can be an antagonist in the movie.

Lack of loyalty is not why I think this movie will blow, I think it will blow because that trailer was lame as shit, the CGI, coriography and action was bad and the actors didn't seem very good. An example of a translation done right: the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon series from a few years back; that is almost as perfect of a translation as one can hope for. Translation wise it is VERY difficult to say when a translation is doing things right, but it's very, very easy to say when a translation is being done wrong, that trailer is doing it wrong (though admittedly the movie might do it right, though I doubt that).

EDIT: Your statement about Oscorp and the relationship it has to everything; just because it's a movie it does not mean everything has to be related, much like real life some things just happen. Making everything related to eachother is idiotic, unbelievable and just stupid. For example in the comics (ultimate version, where this would have been ripped from if it wasn't entirely pulled from the scripwriters ass)the fact that it was Roxxon was just something that just kind of was; there was no big bad, they don't know for certain if they actually did it (it was just a theory they had relating to their parents death that had a good chance of being true) and if they did the people who arranged it are certainly long gone. It's just how their parents died. Their project had issues and that's what it was left behind for them but their parents never got to finish it and they were fucking around with it when they shouldn't have (parents died before it was finished), but that's unrelated to the fact that their death really wasn't related to anything. TL;DR: Only terrible writers try and make everything related.